2008 (Fall 2009) SUNY Buffalo Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those places look pretty good but it doesn't seem like they have 1BR apartments. I was wondering what you guys thought of Collegiate Village http://collegiatevillagewny.com/faq or the Villas at chestnut redge. Both are relatively new so there is not much in terms of reviews.

Members don't see this ad.

To those of you who have been accepted: just out of curiosity - how much is the deposit for UB?

Those places look pretty good but it doesn't seem like they have 1BR apartments. I was wondering what you guys thought of Collegiate Village http://collegiatevillagewny.com/faq or the Villas at chestnut redge. Both are relatively new so there is not much in terms of reviews.

haven't heard much about collegiate village, they seem really nice. Copley Court has mostly 1 bedroom apts. I lived in 1 and 2 bedroom apts there - internet/heat and water are included in the rent.

Also there are a lot of apartment complexes off of sweet home rd and a lot on maple rd. that are pretty nice

There are also a bunch in between sheridan and maple rd near the alberta/ north baily wegmans.. but i can't recall the names- its mostly older people so it would be good if you were looking for quiet I guess.

hope this helps:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Deposit for UB is only $150. Compared to the $1000 I dropped for VCU, it was relatively nothing. I believe you only need to pay this if you were not previously a UB student.

Copley Court looks pretty good. The only negative I have found from reviews is that the internet is pretty slow....that might be a huge factor for me since I rely on my internet.

Deposit for UB is only $150. Compared to the $1000 I dropped for VCU, it was relatively nothing. I believe you only need to pay this if you were not previously a UB student.

Copley Court looks pretty good. The only negative I have found from reviews is that the internet is pretty slow....that might be a huge factor for me since I rely on my internet.

I haven't lived there since 2006, but the internet was ok back then. Occasionally it would get slow or go down in my building but that was because some weirdo upstairs was like running some sort of business out of his apt. The people in the office are pretty good about being on top of that though, as well as repairs in general. Also you could just get your own internet through time warner and just pay for it if you were worried about. good luck!

anyone else get an email from UB Pharmacy today and think that it was an interview invite when it was actually a survey request about the admissions/recruitment process :scared::scared::scared::scared:
I think UB is slowly killing me

anyone else get an email from UB Pharmacy today and think that it was an interview invite when it was actually a survey request about the admissions/recruitment process :scared::scared::scared::scared:

You didn't hear anything from them? I got a rejection notice weeks ago..and still I got a survey invite, which I did anyway. Hope it's good news for you though.

hahahahaha I was totally going to post this. Everytime my blackberry notifies me of an email Monday - Friday 9-5 I get these butterflies hoping it might be an email from UB. Today it was, and it ended up being a survey!! Grr I was so angry.
It is not a good idea to send opinion surveys to people that are on the waitlist, don't you think? This is driving me crazy toooo, I wish they'd just interview us already!

hahahahaha I was totally going to post this. Everytime my blackberry notifies me of an email Monday - Friday 9-5 I get these butterflies hoping it might be an email from UB. Today it was, and it ended up being a survey!! Grr I was so angry.
It is not a good idea to send opinion surveys to people that are on the waitlist, don't you think? This is driving me crazy toooo, I wish they'd just interview us already!

haha i'm glad I wasn't the only one mad about this email. with everyday that passes I get more and more bitter towards UB. I've sent my deposit to Nova and I'm starting to make arrangements for moving down there. Hvae you sent any deposits in yet?

The more I think about it maybe UB just isn't meant to be, I'm sure I'll be 100% happier in Florida, its just the $$$$$$$$ that I could be saving by staying in Buffalo...I'm getting anxiety just thinking about my loans hahaha
Hope you're hanging in there!! :)

omg I am in shock!!!! I'm sitting in class today and I check my email and I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!

It's on 3/27!! Now I'm nervous!! But so excited!!!!!

omg I am in shock!!!! I'm sitting in class today and I check my email and I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!

Great!..im excited for you. been following your posts and hoped that you got in. congrats!..hope it goes well

Congratulations!!!! I've been secretly hoping for you and UB ever since I came to SDN, and trying to imagine some way I could help you (haha, short of magically being on the adcom, I don't know what exactly that would be, but still). I am super excited for you and I want you to get in so I can meet you and give you a high five or something.

Good Luck at the interview!

Great!..im excited for you. been following your posts and hoped that you got in. congrats!..hope it goes well

Congratulations!!!! I've been secretly hoping for you and UB ever since I came to SDN, and trying to imagine some way I could help you (haha, short of magically being on the adcom, I don't know what exactly that would be, but still). I am super excited for you and I want you to get in so I can meet you and give you a high five or something.

Good Luck at the interview!

Ohh thank you guys!! That's so nice :)
This is SUCH a relief off my chest. Now regardless of what happens, I'll be able to plan next year's plans accordingly.

I hope I get in so that we can all meet!!

Members don't see this ad :)

OMG!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats awesome I'm so happy for you!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

OMG!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats awesome I'm so happy for you!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

thank you!!! You better hear from them soon too and then we both better get in and then we can be classmates:D

Can someone tell me how their interview went? What the interview day encompassed and sample interview questions?

Im at the airport terminal for my flight to buffalo. I haven't practiced how I would answer the questions for the interview. I hope they don't throw me any tough ones.

Im at the airport terminal for my flight to buffalo. I haven't practiced how I would answer the questions for the interview. I hope they don't throw me any tough ones.

good luck and have a safe flight:D you're lucky, the weather is beautiful today!!

I just finished my interview. It was a 5 hour thing split into four groups. Interview, fellowship/residency info, laid back group activity, tour and then pizza with the other students and faculty. Everyone was super nice. Dr. Baltasar was my interviewer. Brian did my tour. I talked to a doctor that specializes in nuclear pharmacy. Met some fellow applicants (mike, Britney, sayd, andrew and Ryan). Lots of canadians in this group.
Overall it was very easy and laid back. Seems like a great school. Good luck!

I just finished my interview. It was a 5 hour thing split into four groups. Interview, fellowship/residency info, laid back group activity, tour and then pizza with the other students and faculty. Everyone was super nice. Dr. Baltasar was my interviewer. Brian did my tour. I talked to a doctor that specializes in nuclear pharmacy. Met some fellow applicants (mike, Britney, sayd, andrew and Ryan). Lots of canadians in this group.
Overall it was very easy and laid back. Seems like a great school. Good luck!

Do you know how many spots are left? and how many candidates were interviewing? And when did they say you would hear back?

sorry for all the questions, I am very anxious :) :)

I had an interview today.. I feel sooo bad that I messed up the essay..I could not think when i received the topic..did any one else had interview?? how was it

Do you know how many spots are left? and how many candidates were interviewing? And when did they say you would hear back?

There were around 30 - 35 people today.. dont really know how many spots are left..they said we will hear back in 2 weeks...but i am expecting an answer by next week..they are really fast with the response

Hopefully this bit of info will dispel some anxiety: they said that most people that they interviewed will get an acceptance. Only a small amoount of People Did not pass the interview. And if they didn't pass, it was for good reason. I heard this directly from people doing admissions.
So unless you said something unethical, I think you're in the door.
There is one last round of interviews on the 27th.

As far as the writing, my prompt was to describe non-pharmacy goals. I thought about that for a good 5 minutes and decided to talk about possibly doing a triathelon. I knew that saying I want a family would be generic and boring.

Anyway, don't worry about it. I'm sure you got in!

hi guys!

im actually new on this blog. i took my pcat in jan 09. didnt do so hot on rc and verbal but did well on the math bio n chem. i applied to

temple (interview offer)
buffalo (interview offer)
mcphs-w (waitlisted)
lecom-b (inerview offer)
lecom-erie (havent hrd back yet)
thomas jefforson (interview offer)
belmont (interview offer)
campbell (havent hrd back yet)
st johns fisher (interview offer)
Albany (interview offer)
charelston (interview offer)

im from ny and im only a junior in college. im so overwhelmed and didnt think id get all these interviews. i havent interviewed at a single place yet and im really freaking out. does neone have ne tips? my interviews start from 26th march (temple) and my buffalo interview is on the 27th of march. i did make an outline of my goals, y pharmacy? y buffalo? my volunteer exp and extra curricular activities, strengths and weakenesses.. i donno what else to do! im also worried bout the written interview essay part. i just really want this so bad. i donno wht to expect from interviews. plus im so late in the game altho i hav al these interviews im worried theres prolly like no seats left! :'( ne pep talk is super needed and appreciated. thanks guys!

does anyone know if they interview through april. i've heard people saying that 3/27 is the last interview date....still waiting :scared:

Hopefully this bit of info will dispel some anxiety: they said that most people that they interviewed will get an acceptance. Only a small amoount of People Did not pass the interview. And if they didn't pass, it was for good reason. I heard this directly from people doing admissions.
That can actually cause more anxiety because if we don't get accepted, we'd feel like such losers. :laugh:

I'm just hoping the situational questions aren't too difficult during the interviews. :scared:

hi guys!

im actually new on this blog. i took my pcat in jan 09. didnt do so hot on rc and verbal but did well on the math bio n chem. i applied to

temple (interview offer)
buffalo (interview offer)
mcphs-w (waitlisted)
lecom-b (inerview offer)
lecom-erie (havent hrd back yet)
thomas jefforson (interview offer)
belmont (interview offer)
campbell (havent hrd back yet)
st johns fisher (interview offer)
Albany (interview offer)
charelston (interview offer)

im from ny and im only a junior in college. im so overwhelmed and didnt think id get all these interviews. i havent interviewed at a single place yet and im really freaking out. does neone have ne tips? my interviews start from 26th march (temple) and my buffalo interview is on the 27th of march. i did make an outline of my goals, y pharmacy? y buffalo? my volunteer exp and extra curricular activities, strengths and weakenesses.. i donno what else to do! im also worried bout the written interview essay part. i just really want this so bad. i donno wht to expect from interviews. plus im so late in the game altho i hav al these interviews im worried theres prolly like no seats left! :'( ne pep talk is super needed and appreciated. thanks guys!

I would not worry about the interviews..just be urself..Temple interview might be a group interview..as I was interviewed in a group..some times pppl have similar answers..I though Temple already accepted me and interview was just to make sure that u r not a social outcast.there was no essay..I did not feel very personal during that interview..but was able to perform well..Buffalo was nothing like what I expected ..few wierd situational questions like 1) a situation where you took care of a friend 2) an occassion where your patience have been pushed to the extreme.. 3) ethical question..like that..I felt like it was less conversational..they took 3-4 senteces as answer for all questions and most ppl where done in 15-20 minutes..There were some nice ppl and some uptight.the essay was real easy..but i guess i messed up..then there was a group activity and tour.Lecom bradenton was very relaxed..highly organized..small but advanced school settings..really nice ppl interview was very relaxed good experience for me..there was a group activity where we discussed and summarized an article..which was very easy..and finally a campus tour..So dont worry about it..look through the interview questions..dont make them feel like your answers are too rehearsed..If there are like tough questions..they just want to see how you react to those questions..if you find a question hard ..just let them know and they will be more than happy to repharase or ask another question..If you have the interview offer you are almost accepted..

One wierd thing abt lecom bradenton was that they told me they interviewed over 1000 applicant for over a 100 seat, which i felt was a large # of ppl..any ways good luck..if you have more questions pm me..

anyone know if there's still interview dates left??

From what I know, the last official interview date is this friday, 3/27.
After that they will interview waitlisted candidates into the summer when people decline seats.

I got in!!! Only took 4 days to here from them since the interview last Friday.

I got in!!! Only took 4 days to here from them since the interview last Friday.

yay!! Congratulations!
Was UB your top choice?? Did you hear through email?

ahh...I am so so nervous for Friday:scared:

yay!! Congratulations!
Was UB your top choice?? Did you hear through email?

ahh...I am so so nervous for Friday:scared:

USN is my top choice due to 4 hours drive from mom and 3 year program :)
Yes I heard through email

Hello, i am currently a freshman at SUNY New paltz, working on my courses to get into pharmacy school. I am hoping to transfer to UB next year,(im still waiting to hear their decision) and just wanted to know if there was any advice anyone could give me about getting on the right track to get into their pharmacy school. Its always been my first choice. I also have some questions, if i would like to begin pharmacy school in my junior year, then when should i be applying for it? and is it even possible to have all of my pre- recs done by this time? Do they accept people who ahve no finished all of their requirements? Any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

P.S i wish everyone goodluck! and i hope you all get in =]

So I had my interview yesterday! Everyone was really nice, and it was nice meeting Brian and Taylor, thank you guys for giving us the tour! I saw UB in a whole new light after being there for 6 years!!
I was a little bit intimidated and I don't know how the interview went. I don't know if Karl Fiebelkorn liked me! I hope so!!
Quick question: Does the group project have any influence on your decision? I noticed the student ambassadors writing down notes, but I don't know if it meant anything?

Thanks!!

So I had my interview yesterday! Everyone was really nice, and it was nice meeting Brian and Taylor, thank you guys for giving us the tour! I saw UB in a whole new light after being there for 6 years!!
I was a little bit intimidated and I don't know how the interview went. I don't know if Karl Fiebelkorn liked me! I hope so!!
Quick question: Does the group project have any influence on your decision? I noticed the student ambassadors writing down notes, but I don't know if it meant anything?

Thanks!!

Well I'm glad to hear you finally had your interview and it is out of your hands now. I hope you get into UB seeing as UB is your first choice. When I interviewed, they told us that the group process will have no impact on admission. However, I am very skeptical. I think it makes a huge influence on the decision. My student ambassador that were watching our group was writing the entire time, so I would think it matters. If they don't need it, why do it in the first place... right?

Thanks!!

Yeah I remember them taking down notes also but it isn't going to influence your acceptance. I recall one of the ambassador said that this portion is "ungraded"

I had my interview as well yesterday! Went reallyyyy well, was supremely confident with the interview (had two easy goin people askin me questions!). UB was my first choice at first, but now for me its my ONLY choice. It is a really awesome place, and the enviroment was really friendly and laid back. I really made a good impression yesterday, but I hope they see that. alenadoma, I think you were in my group right? I was the guy rockin the brown suitcoat. You were the one askin lots of questions right? Brian and Taylor were the ****, gave us a good tour and didn't even complain much about walkin everywhere. I'm reallyy banking on Buffalo, the place is amazing.

Well I interviewed on 2/13, and they sent me the offer of admission on 2/16. It was unbelievable. I canceled all of my other interviews that day, I was so happy.

Interview questions included:
1. Besides community and clinical pharmacy, what other opportunities do you know of for pharmacists?
2. If you could interview any one person, who would it be?
3. What sort of things have you noticed in the news related to pharmacy?
4. Talk about a conflict you encountered and how did you handle it.

Stats: -3.51 cumulative GPA
-85 on PCAT
- Several extra curricular activities
- I lack technician experience, but I do have other exposure to the field.

Other schools:
LECOM-Erie = interview offered, declined
Thomas Jefferson= interview offered, declined
Campbell University= interview offered, declined
St. John Fisher= interview offered, declined
Questions 2 and 4 were asked to me. For question 2, kanye slipped out of my mouth so I just rolled with it :laugh:

I had my interview as well yesterday! Went reallyyyy well, was supremely confident with the interview (had two easy goin people askin me questions!). UB was my first choice at first, but now for me its my ONLY choice. It is a really awesome place, and the enviroment was really friendly and laid back. I really made a good impression yesterday, but I hope they see that. alenadoma, I think you were in my group right? I was the guy rockin the brown suitcoat. You were the one askin lots of questions right? Brian and Taylor were the ****, gave us a good tour and didn't even complain much about walkin everywhere. I'm reallyy banking on Buffalo, the place is amazing.

Brown suit?? I don't remember! What was your name?? I'm glad you thought it went well, hopefully we hear good news soon :)

My names chad, but that was probably the only thing that stood me out from the other dudes. I was like the only one not wearing a black suit with black pants (had a brown suit and grayish pants. I sat in the first row on the right side when everyone was in the room in the beginning. What group were u in?

My names chad, but that was probably the only thing that stood me out from the other dudes. I was like the only one not wearing a black suit with black pants (had a brown suit and grayish pants. I sat in the first row on the right side when everyone was in the room in the beginning. What group were u in?

I was in group C. I don't think we were in the same group?? What group were you in??

Oh, I was in B. One of the girls from my group said she was on sdn, thought it might have been you. Yah, I felt real good about how it went and I'm certainly glad you had a great time!

Oh, I was in B. One of the girls from my group said she was on sdn, thought it might have been you. Yah, I felt real good about how it went and I'm certainly glad you had a great time!

let me know when you hear something..
i'm so anxious...i should be studying for my pharmacology exam right now lol

let me know when you hear something..
i'm so anxious...i should be studying for my pharmacology exam right now lol

Glad you guys had such a good time. I definitely enjoy doing stuff like that. We're there to give you our experiences and tell you what student life is really like from our point of view.

Also what a coincidence I should be studying pharmacology too! Haha SDN is such a good time waster...hurray for 6 endocrine packets and...1 on heavy metal toxicity?

Good luck with everything!

Glad you guys had such a good time. I definitely enjoy doing stuff like that. We're there to give you our experiences and tell you what student life is really like from our point of view.

Also what a coincidence I should be studying pharmacology too! Haha SDN is such a good time waster...hurray for 6 endocrine packets and...1 on heavy metal toxicity?

Good luck with everything!

oh shoot - I forgot the heavy metal toxicity one!! Thanks for reminding me!

I calculated that this school will cost $133k after 4 years assuming 1st year as out-of-state student. Anyone else come to that conclusion?

I calculated that this school will cost $133k after 4 years assuming 1st year as out-of-state student. Anyone else come to that conclusion?
How much are you factoring in for living expenses per year? $133k seems like a high estimate but I haven't really done any serious number crunching myself.