2008 Match Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NdSea

Internal Medicine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this may be a little soon. Seeing as 2007 match is completed. I am a FMG MS3 and within the next few months will be starting my application process. Thus far i have only completed Step 1 and am signed up for Step 2CS in June. I plan to take Step 2CK in late September to mid October of 2007. I have been told this may be waiting too long and may affect my chances of obtaining more interviews. What do you guys think about this and when would you recommend taking the CK? When would be the absolute latest time to take it. I know most programs only required step 1 and CS passed to be eligible?

Members don't see this ad.

You should take the CS and CK earlier since you are a FMG and programs want to see a passing score and alot of them use cutoff scores to offer you interviews. Another thing that progrmas worried about is that if you dont pass the exams then you cant get ECFMG certified and you are withdrawn from the match process by feb if you are not certified.

So try to schedule the test earlier so you have all your scores by september which is the period ERAS starts sending documents to the programs.

Make Sure To Have All Your Passing Scores (step 1, Step 2 Cs, And Ck) By The Time Applications Open Up...which Is 9/2 I Think...that Will Optimized The Amount Of Interviews You Will Receive...and Trust Me Steps Scores Aren't Everything. Many Ppl That I Know, Including Myself With Avg/below Avg Step Scores Obtained Pretty Decent Residencies....also I Know Ppl With High Step Scores And Didnt Match And Ended Up Scrambling

Members don't see this ad :)
do u need a h1 visa?
if yes then ur chances of gettin a good spot increase exponentially wrt how EARLY u can get a passing s3 score. u shud anyways attempt s3 by jan 10 latest as progs req u to have passing s3 before rol deadline.

u shud be ecfmg certi by mid sept to have a shot at getting good calls.

u shud have a 95+ average if u need a visa and a 90+ average over s1 and s2 if u dont need a visa - to have a shot at a good uni program.

all of above are for internal medicine.

passing scores wont get u anything more than a mediocre community program. unless ur a citizen who did undergrad at a top place.

if u want to crack a top notch program and want to go into cards/gi - get the best scores u can even thoh u might have to take more time - consider a yr of research if ur gettin under a superb mentor. a yr now (trust me) wont make a difference - but wil pay superb dividends later on in life

decide whether u want to pass the exam and get anything. or crack them and get the thing..

the 2c from the view point of an out and out img.

I don't need a visa; i'm actually a Green Card holder. I have decent step 1 scores, plan to do CS in mid June. I attended a major US Univ for undergrad and went offshore for 1st 2 yrs of med and am currently doing 3rd year rotations in Univ. affiliated hospital. I won't be finishing Surgery (last of my cores) until Sept. and feel i wont have good time to study during surgery so was planning to take a 2 week break post surgery and take it at the end or beginning of Oct. i know this may be a little late but makes me feel a little more comfortable. I anticipate scores to be back by mid to end of Nov. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

when u kick @$$ - kick hard. when u kick, how u kick - operator dependant. apply on sept 1 with as complete an application as u can to as many programs that u are interested in. stay in touch with the ppl at the place u are and use ur contacts as well as u can. dont rush. all good things come to those who wait. ur late in ur appli in terms of ur scores. but it wil b ok since u have a whole lotta other things to back u up. and remem to call/email/bug the hell out of the progs once ur score gets reported. its ur 25$ and be ready to open a call center if u have to, in order to make them reassess ur appli in case ur on hold at a few places.

thats all. gl:)