RPVI exam prep advice - 2024 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternatego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the folks planning on taking the RPVI boards, here is my advice. I took them yesterday and passed them so I thought to share a couple strategies here since there is nothing up-to-date regarding RPVI prep in these forums for the past several years.

First of all, don't underestimate the exam. It's not a piece of cake. You can fail if you don't study for it and if you don't read the 500 studies with people who can give you good feedback.

Next, Pegasus lectures are MOSTLY ok, but they are not the only source I'd recommend for the clinical portion. I found them to be lacking at times in certain topics (the details escape me but trust me, Pegasus is not enough for the clinical portion). I also bought and used VESAP 5 (the vascular surgery board prep) and did all their vascular lab questions, which are about 200 questions and I felt they resembled the actual test a little more than Pegasus.

For the physics portion, Pegasus is enough if you buy the full $700 suite that comes with the US physics book. The physics lectures are kinda weird/boring and it's HARD to keep focused, but keep taking notes and do the brief practice questions the guy tells you to do during the presentations. After you're done, go to the book and read/do the same section you just watched.

The Pegasus question bank is good. It's 2 exams consisting of about 220ish questions each. However, there is no timed-tutor mode for them so it's a slog to go through all those damn questions without getting immediate feedback. Just finishing one of those exams takes like 3-4 hours, which will leave you drained, only to have to go back and review every question to read all explanations, some of which can be several pages long. The qbank is good because it has the most BS "gotcha" questions that show in a very similar fashion in the exam, so you will be able to avoid falling for their stupid traps if you do the Pegasus qbank.

Finally, I bought the Zweibel book, and even though I didn't read it cover-to-cover, there are some chapters that I strongly suggest you read (all about carotids, LE veins, venous hemodynamics and waveforms [learn how to identify central obstruction from peripheral vein tracings, learn how to identify what vein you might be looking at just by its spectral doppler tracing], arterial hemodynamics and waveforms [learn how to identify a distal obstruction/significant stenosis by the changes seen in the spectral doppler waveform of a proximal healthy segment, how to identify a proximal obstruction/significant stenosis by the changes in the arterial spectral doppler waveform of the distal vessel], all about LE physiological testing including ABI/PVRs as this shows up A LOT in the exam).

Hope this is useful for the peeps looking for info on this exam here. And good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How much time did you have to put in to go through all these resources?

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost 2 months AFTER completing my 500 reads. During my downtime during endovascular fellowship

To nuc? Took them too long ago to effectively compare, sorry dude

Is endovasular fellowship competitive? Not many programs seem to offer it. Any issues finding jobs?

im IC fellow and signed a job, but some days I wish I’d gone a step further and done endo

For all the folks planning on taking the RPVI boards, here is my advice. I took them yesterday and passed them so I thought to share a couple strategies here since there is nothing up-to-date regarding RPVI prep in these forums for the past several years.

First of all, don't underestimate the exam. It's not a piece of cake. You can fail if you don't study for it and if you don't read the 500 studies with people who can give you good feedback.

Next, Pegasus lectures are MOSTLY ok, but they are not the only source I'd recommend for the clinical portion. I found them to be lacking at times in certain topics (the details escape me but trust me, Pegasus is not enough for the clinical portion). I also bought and used VESAP 5 (the vascular surgery board prep) and did all their vascular lab questions, which are about 200 questions and I felt they resembled the actual test a little more than Pegasus.

For the physics portion, Pegasus is enough if you buy the full $700 suite that comes with the US physics book. The physics lectures are kinda weird/boring and it's HARD to keep focused, but keep taking notes and do the brief practice questions the guy tells you to do during the presentations. After you're done, go to the book and read/do the same section you just watched.

The Pegasus question bank is good. It's 2 exams consisting of about 220ish questions each. However, there is no timed-tutor mode for them so it's a slog to go through all those damn questions without getting immediate feedback. Just finishing one of those exams takes like 3-4 hours, which will leave you drained, only to have to go back and review every question to read all explanations, some of which can be several pages long. The qbank is good because it has the most BS "gotcha" questions that show in a very similar fashion in the exam, so you will be able to avoid falling for their stupid traps if you do the Pegasus qbank.

Finally, I bought the Zweibel book, and even though I didn't read it cover-to-cover, there are some chapters that I strongly suggest you read (all about carotids, LE veins, venous hemodynamics and waveforms [learn how to identify central obstruction from peripheral vein tracings, learn how to identify what vein you might be looking at just by its spectral doppler tracing], arterial hemodynamics and waveforms [learn how to identify a distal obstruction/significant stenosis by the changes seen in the spectral doppler waveform of a proximal healthy segment, how to identify a proximal obstruction/significant stenosis by the changes in the arterial spectral doppler waveform of the distal vessel], all about LE physiological testing including ABI/PVRs as this shows up A LOT in the exam).

Hope this is useful for the peeps looking for info on this exam here. And good luck!
Thank you -very helpful. Few questions:

1. Looks like you mainly did the Pegasus complete review and the VESAP5.
Did you look into other courses like NAVIX or GulfCoast ultrasound? ASE also offers a RPVI review.
Any idea regarding the pros and cons and comparisons between the various courses?
Did Pegasus give you the 40 Cat 1 CMEs easily

2. On an average, what percentage of the total, were Physics questions? I took the echo boards recently, was the physics portion relatively similar on the RPVI?

Thanks