2008 meetings:APS-SPR (PAS) and AAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post some links for the two upcoming pediatric meetings. I'm skipping spring AAP and moving to fall AAP...

So, first is the annual meeting of the pediatric academic societies in Hawaii from May 3-6. Chances are if you haven't already arranged to go, you aren't going, so please post here if you are going and would like to meet your SDN moderators, at least 2 of whom will be there. We will be at the meeting the whole time, not one minute on the beach.:rolleyes:

http://pediatrics.hawaiiconvention.com/

Also, I wanted to mention the annual AAP meeting which this year will be in Boston from October 11-14th.

http://www.aapexperience.org/

In addition to catching a few Red Sox playoff games, AAP annual meeting is a lot of fun and is well suited for 4th yr med students and interns/residents. So, since now is the time to think about negotiating your fall schedule, it might be a good time to decide about the meeting. I'll be there this year (I don't go to AAP Nat'l Conf each year).

I'll keep this stickied for a few months so people can indicate if they're going. If you are, to either mtg, feel free to PM me and we can meet up, at the beach/Fenway, er, I mean, at the conference.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I wanted to mention the annual AAP meeting which this year will be in Boston from October 11-14th.

I am going to try to make it Boston. It seems a little wierd to me that the conference runs on a Saturday through a Tuesday. Is this normal?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to try to make it Boston. It seems a little wierd to me that the conference runs on a Saturday through a Tuesday. Is this normal?:confused:

Many if not most scientific and medical meetings run through a weekend to take advantage of lower airfares and other discounts for the space, etc. Some benefit also for a meeting like AAP in losing less office time for practioners.

Many if not most scientific and medical meetings run through a weekend to take advantage of lower airfares and other discounts for the space, etc. Some benefit also for a meeting like AAP in losing less office time for practioners.

I guess I was confused by the Monday/Tuesday vs a Thursday/Friday setup. I am more used to seeing Thursday - Sunday for meetings.:D

I'm planning to be at AAP for at least a couple of the days. My wife and I are taking that week to visit some family in Providence and camp in Acadia, but when I found out AAP was in Boston, I convinced her to let me stop for a couple days.

:D Yay, I'm going to PAS in Hawaii after all! It was hard to find somebody to cover a call for me, because so many residents will be going - and I'll be going, too, even though it will only be for 2 days! :D
:hardy:

And it's good for my frequent flyer mileage, too :smuggrin:

Maybe I'll meet some of you guys there!?

Alright... so for those coming here to Hawaii perhaps we should get together and have a few beers. Would you all prefer a place in Waikiki (which can be extremely touristy but fun and convenient if you all are already staying there) or some other place conducive to a college/med student crowd?

Nardo

I wanted to post some links for the two upcoming pediatric meetings. I'm skipping spring AAP and moving to fall AAP...

So, first is the annual meeting of the pediatric academic societies in Hawaii from May 3-6. Chances are if you haven't already arranged to go, you aren't going, so please post here if you are going and would like to meet your SDN moderators, at least 2 of whom will be there. We will be at the meeting the whole time, not one minute on the beach.:rolleyes:

http://pediatrics.hawaiiconvention.com/

http://www.aapexperience.org/

In addition to catching a few Red Sox playoff games, AAP annual meeting is a lot of fun and is well suited for 4th yr med students and interns/residents. So, since now is the time to think about negotiating your fall schedule, it might be a good time to decide about the meeting. I'll be there this year (I don't go to AAP Nat'l Conf each year).

I'll keep this stickied for a few months so people can indicate if they're going. If you are, to either mtg, feel free to PM me and we can meet up, at the beach/Fenway, er, I mean, at the conference.

Not a peds resident , but will be tagging along with my wife who's a peds resident to the PAS in Hawaii:D

I have a question for you Dr Bear: For the AAP meeting, should the abstracts submitted by residents be listed under the AAP section RESIDENTS or their respective subjects? (eg Critical care, cardio etc..) . If it's the former then is the sponsor needed the attending who's name is also on the abstract? Thanks..

Not a peds resident , but will be tagging along with my wife who's a peds resident to the PAS in Hawaii:D

I have a question for you Dr Bear: For the AAP meeting, should the abstracts submitted by residents be listed under the AAP section RESIDENTS or their respective subjects? (eg Critical care, cardio etc..) . If it's the former then is the sponsor needed the attending who's name is also on the abstract? Thanks..

Answered by PM but for the general info, they should go into their respective subject areas. One can then apply for an award, like a travel grant, but they would go in their respective subjects for an original research study.

Alright... so for those coming here to Hawaii perhaps we should get together and have a few beers. Would you all prefer a place in Waikiki (which can be extremely touristy but fun and convenient if you all are already staying there) or some other place conducive to a college/med student crowd?

Nardo
We need to get this plan together. The conference is next weekend! Fun and convenient works well for me. :)

A question. This is my first conference. :oops: How do I know what presentations I should attend? Just pick interesting sounding things and show up? How much of the day should I plan to be there? What's the best way to enjoy a big conference like this?

A question. This is my first conference. :oops: How do I know what presentations I should attend? Just pick interesting sounding things and show up? How much of the day should I plan to be there? What's the best way to enjoy a big conference like this?

For this meeting, most of the interesting stuff, especially for new residents like you ;) will be at the poster sessions. Plan to spend about an hour at each. Also plan to attend the talks of anyone in your lab.:p

Other than that, enjoy the beach along with the big SDN party Bernardo is having for us.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
For this meeting, most of the interesting stuff, especially for new residents like you ;) will be at the poster sessions. Plan to spend about an hour at each. Also plan to attend the talks of anyone in your lab.:p

Other than that, enjoy the beach along with the big SDN party Bernardo is having for us.:thumbup:
So no need to attend any of those gazillion talks and roundtable sessions? I thought the Neo Nutrition and Metabolism Club session looked interesting, especially as it relates to current research.

So no need to attend any of those gazillion talks and roundtable sessions? I thought the Neo Nutrition and Metabolism Club session looked interesting, especially as it relates to current research.

Absolutely. You should attend every session and not spend a single minute on the beach or enjoying Hawaii.;)

Don't forget to tell me what happens at all of these meetings while I'm, um, not there.:p

Go to some sessions you'd like, skip the rest. Best use of time is the poster sessions.

Really, attending scientific meetings is a lot like medical school. You go to a few lectures and read the notes about the rest.

So I have a good place in mind. It's right off the Waikiki strip on Kalakaua. It's a fun walk from the convention center. Information is found here, in the Tiki's Bar and Grill website.

I'm thinking Sunday night. Tell me if you're in so I can give them a head count for reservations. 7 PM is nice as the sun will be descending on Waikiki... nice rooftop restaraunt.

Tell me if you're in. I can make the reservations right away.

Nardo

So I have a good place in mind. It's right off the Waikiki strip on Kalakaua. It's a fun walk from the convention center. Information is found here, in the Tiki's Bar and Grill website.

Tell me if you're in so I can give them a head count for reservations. Monday may be good night as a "winding down" meeting, and it may be an easier time to reserve. 7 PM is nice as the sun will be descending on Waikiki... nice rooftop restaraunt.

Tell me if you're in. I can make the reservations right away.

Nardo

Any chance it can be Sunday night? Monday night is spoken for several of us and Saturday night is taken up with departmental events that we're expected to attend. But Sunday is actually the quiet evening.

See you guys Sunday night. Reserved room for 6. So if you guys did not reply but will still be here, I'm sure there will be some extra room.

I'm really sorry I couldn't meet you guys, but I had to leave HI on Sunday already, in order to take the overnight flight home and be back at work on Monday afternoon. I was trying to find you, OBP, in the conference program to see if you were at least around on Saturday when I had my poster, but that didn't work either (they should have included all authors, not just the presenters, in the directory!) :cry: - and I didn't know anybody else's real name.
Well, I'm glad at least that you guys had a good time at Tiki's!

Bump for AAP in October in Boston. Talks/abstracts have mostly been announced/selected.

Any else going? If you'd like to meet up, post here or send me a PM!

AAP is a fun meeting and you should score enough pain medicine drops for the next year for your own kids as well as lots of pens.

It was just the other day that I mentally made the connection between the theme "More than a feeling" and the meeting's location. :)

I'll be there. It might just be the weekend, though. I need a LOR from the attending with whom I will be working in October. Since I'm not attending the AAP meeting for work or professional responsibilities, I don't feel as though I have an excuse to miss any days of my rotation.

Of course I'd be interested in an SDN get-together.

I have arbitrarily set 1:30 PM saturday at the Ross/Abbott nutritionals exhibit (picked because I'm sure there will be one....;) for the official SDN pedi meet-up. So far 3 people in addition to me have said they are coming, PM me anyone else and I'll let you know the secret SDN password!

Hint: It's Panda Bear:p