2008 pathology applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, I am. I can PM you with the info if you want to be buds.

I added you. It is nice to put a face to the name. :)

To think that we have all worked our butts off in school and some kid creates facebook and probably has millions now. Life is not fair. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I got a Facebook and Myspace account around the time of my 10-yr HS reunion... I couldn't go but became very curious as to where everybody ended up. I discovered many people had such pages, and you needed to create one to use the system.

I got a Myspace account when a couple of friends of mine started "blogging" on it, so I could read their blogs. Then I figured out that they really weren't that interesting... every time I logged on to it, I expected Chris Hansen to show up at my house with the ghillie suit guy... :)

BH

Another day done, 3 and half till monday!!!

I think this weekend will be the first weekend I've ever wished would go fast. I've never looked forward to a Monday before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another day done, 3 and half till monday!!!

I think this weekend will be the first weekend I've ever wished would go fast. I've never looked forward to a Monday before.

It's nice that they give you a little something on Monday to hold you over 'till the 20th. I don't want to wish away the weekend, but they always go fast whether you want them to or not. Probably some St. Pat's Day fun to be had.

Did anyone else nearly have a seizure when that stupid ERAS email with the subject line "SCRAMBLE ADVISORY" showed up in your inbox today? :eek:

Come on, who approved that? "Hey guys, lets send out an email the Friday before the match with information on the Scramble. Let's just title it SCRAMBLE ADVISORY in all caps. That'll be great" Sheesh...

BH

Did anyone else nearly have a seizure when that stupid ERAS email with the subject line "SCRAMBLE ADVISORY" showed up in your inbox today? :eek:

Come on, who approved that? "Hey guys, lets send out an email the Friday before the match with information on the Scramble. Let's just title it SCRAMBLE ADVISORY in all caps. That'll be great" Sheesh...

BH

I was actually prepared for that, because there was a thread about it in the ERAS forum. Apparently they do it every year, and some person ends up posting a thread asking if it means they didn't match, even though the email clearly states they send it to everyone. :laugh:

I was actually prepared for that, because there was a thread about it in the ERAS forum. Apparently they do it every year, and some person ends up posting a thread asking if it means they didn't match, even though the email clearly states they send it to everyone. :laugh:

Yeah. I was not at all worried about not matching... but still, it's an electronic system and all electronic systems are prone to potential failure, so seeing that subject line pop up on my screen was a bit of a startle...

They should just title it differently, something along the lines of "The role of ERAS in the Scramble" or something... something less vague and not in all capitals...

They just like jerking us around. :)

BH

BH

yeah, that at least got an eyebrow raise from me. let's hope we all enjoy a fun weekend before what's going to be a very exciting week.

for my fun, i did a semi-autonomous autopsy today. i had the attending supervising of course, but i did quite a bit by myself and deteced a lot of the pathology that contributed to the man's death. fun stuff.

for my fun, i did a semi-autonomous autopsy today. i had the attending supervising of course, but i did quite a bit by myself and deteced a lot of the pathology that contributed to the man's death. fun stuff.

Hehe at this late hour, I read that as "semi-anonymous autopsy" at first and was very very confused... I thought maybe you were taking your education into your own hands, so to speak... :)

Hey, that sounds like a great movie idea... ;)

BH

BH

My heart took a long pause on seeing that email in my inbox! ....Not what I needed while enduring the last day/last call of my IM SubI. Somehow I can't help but feel a not-so-small bit of anxiety until knowing I don't have to scramble. I'm spending time on facebook, SDN and taking long walks until Monday morning....

BH
Holy crap I nearly shat myself...

My heart took a long pause on seeing that email in my inbox! ....Not what I needed while enduring the last day/last call of my IM SubI. Somehow I can't help but feel a not-so-small bit of anxiety until knowing I don't have to scramble. I'm spending time on facebook, SDN and taking long walks until Monday morning....

Funny it didn't come to me until today and it went to my junk box. It's strange how E-mails can sometimes take a long time to get where they're going and somehow they can arrive instantly. Sometimes I get a new E-mail which wasn't there before but is listed as earlier than several E-mails I have already opened. I guess it has to do with the time stamp and if you were savvy you could alter the time stamp to look like it was older.

Members don't see this ad :)

BH

I also got an unpleasant shock when I received the "SCRAMBLE ADVISORY" email. It could have been worse though, they could have sent it on Monday morning :love:

I also got an unpleasant shock when I received the "SCRAMBLE ADVISORY" email. It could have been worse though, they could have sent it on Monday morning :love:

absolutely - knowing that monday is "did you Match Day?" made me feel not anxious when i got that email. i'm actually hoping for a busy day at work tomorrow so that noon comes and passes very quickly, rather than spending all morning thinking about it.

I wish it would just get here already.

I'm trying to keep myself busy by cleaning but it isn't working. At least tomorrow morning I'll be in derm clinic until noon.

absolutely - knowing that monday is "did you Match Day?" made me feel not anxious when i got that email. i'm actually hoping for a busy day at work tomorrow so that noon comes and passes very quickly, rather than spending all morning thinking about it.

666th post. things are not boding well for u

5 hours to go. Good luck to all of the 08ers!

5 hours to go. Good luck to all of the 08ers!

Tiki, is it fair to say that sleep was not an option last night?

Good luck to you and everyone today. :luck::luck::luck:

Tiki, is it fair to say that sleep was not an option last night?

Good luck to you and everyone today. :luck::luck::luck:

i slept like a log last night after doing a 12K race yesterday morning. tiki, i'm sure you'll be matched somewhere, so thurs is gonna be the big day when you find out precisely where. "if" is not something i'd be concerned about if i were you.

Thanks, mlw and HCE!

I matched!!!!!! I'm so happy, I'm going to get myself some wine and have a nice drink! I hope everyone else is happy right now! It would be great to have a SDN match rate of 100%

Matched! Booya-kasha-wagwan!

Well, I waited untol 12:30PM EST and still hadn't gotten an email. I started freaking out when I found out a bunch of my classmates got their emails by noon. Maybe it's because I used Gmail. Thankfully, I ran into one of my classmates who told me that you can get the message by logging onto the nmrp website. Did anyone else experience this?

I used my gmail account and the email came around 10:50 central time. Sorry you had to freak out!

Matched... not that I was worried, but it is nice to know.

I managed not to think about it too much over the weekend, except for one instance of quizzing by the in-laws... but woke up this morning and it was the first thing I thought of...

Unfortunately all my class parties are at night and I'm a commuter/family man, but looking forward to the happy hour on Wed...

MMm I should brew a match beer... :)

BH

Matched... not that I was worried, but it is nice to know.

I managed not to think about it too much over the weekend, except for one instance of quizzing by the in-laws... but woke up this morning and it was the first thing I thought of...

Unfortunately all my class parties are at night and I'm a commuter/family man, but looking forward to the happy hour on Wed...

MMm I should brew a match beer... :)

BH

good idea. i too matched. just looking forward to thursday to see exactly where and to celebrate with all my friends.

congratulations everyone!!

in honor of st patty's day, i'll tell a little joke . . .

did you know that irish bean soup has exactly 239 beans in it?

you are probably wondering why . . . ?

if it had one more bean, it would be too farty

Matched also! I'm excited to find out where everybody ended up, from here and also my class!

Matched also!!!! Congratulations to everyone. Look forward to working with y'all.

Congrats to all that matched. How many spots went unfilled in pathology this year (regional match stats)?

Hi everyone! Been silent for a while...finally have some good news to share...I too matched! As an IMG, today is just as important as Thursday! Like I've been telling my family, I have to get through today...and finding out on Thursday that I matched to my number one will be icing on the cake! What a relief...I can now breathe!

Well, like gschl1234 I had a bit of a scare earlier today...the email came late to my gmail account as well. And logging into the NRMP site was not pleasant...even the home page wasn't loading!

Congratulations everyone! Just a few more days of waiting now...

Congrats to all that matched. How many spots went unfilled in pathology this year (regional match stats)?

Western Region: Offered = 96; Unfilled = 6
Central Region: Offered = 112; Unfilled = 15
Southern Region: Offered = 146; Unfilled = 14
Northeastern Region: Offered = 154; Unfilled = 6
Total: Offered = 508; Unfilled = 41

Where does this info come from???

I wonder how many unmatched applicants there were...

I matched :D

Good luck to everyone on Thursday... hopefully, the waiting to see where we're going won't drive us all too crazy.

congratulations everyone! look forward to hearing where you're all heading :thumbup::hardy:

Congrats to all that matched!!
No scrambling for me, either, and I only ranked Vanderbilt, so Nashville here I come!
I would love to hear from anyone else if you are there or heading that way after Thursday.

No scrambling for me, either, and I only ranked Vanderbilt, so Nashville here I come!
I would love to hear from anyone else if you are there or heading that way after Thursday.

Ballsy...but you made it! Congrats! And congrats to all of you who know you'll be heading somewhere next year. Hopefully all of you get your top choice! Get the champagne ready!

That's awesome! Congrats! :D

I thought I would mention that despite everyone's worrying about the increasing competitiveness of path, we are actually near the top of the list for % unfilled spots.

Path: 41/508= 8% Unfilled
Family has higher: 249/2636=9%

And that's about it. Psych has about 5%, and I am ignoring all of the Med/Peds, Med/ER, etc combos and things there are ridiculously few of, like Genetics, as well as the various prelim years. (For some reason it looks like there are few Neurosurgery and Urology, which I'm not sure about.)

So . . hopefully this means that many are getting their top picks, and I haven't noticed any posts about scrambling yet, but those that have to will have good chances!

Hi everyone! Been silent for a while...finally have some good news to share...I too matched! As an IMG, today is just as important as Thursday! Like I've been telling my family, I have to get through today...and finding out on Thursday that I matched to my number one will be icing on the cake! What a relief...I can now breathe!

Congrats, I was rooting for you! :thumbup:

Sweet, Thursday doesn't matter for you, start the celebration! :thumbup:

Ballsy...but you made it! Congrats! And congrats to all of you who know you'll be heading somewhere next year. Hopefully all of you get your top choice! Get the champagne ready!

In lieu of champagne, I've been drinking one of these every night of match week:

(click for embiggening)

I know of one person who is having to scramble for Path... I wonder about our frequent poster Oxygen - I hope he/she found luck in this year's match (or out of match)...

BH

In lieu of champagne, I've been drinking one of these every night of match week:

I know of one person who is having to scramble for Path... I wonder about our frequent poster Oxygen - I hope he/she found luck in this year's match (or out of match)...

BH

Why do you say that? I matched by God's grace! I don't understand why you wish me unmatched? why? did I hurt you?:eek:

All my life, I want to be friendly to everybody. I tried to help people. But BH, why do you hate me? Your last post really broke my heart.:(

All my life, I want to be friendly to everybody. I tried to help people. But BH, why do you hate me? Your last post really broke my heart.:(

I'm sorry, but I think we are suffering from a language barrier (and my overuse of ...) What I said was that I knew one person who didn't not match (Not you! I know someone local to me!) then I continued to say I wondered how you were doing, because I knew you were very concerned, and that I HOPED that YOU matched! :)

Do you see now? I truly intended no offense. I was making a statement about a person I knew, then continuing, mentioned your name because I knew you were always very concerned about matching, and hoped that you either matched or got an offer outside the match...

Does that make sense now? Sorry to have inadvertently caused you shock...
I was making two different statements talking about two different people.

BH

I'm sorry, but I think we are suffering from a language barrier (and my overuse of ...) What I said was that I knew one person who didn't not match (Not you! I know someone local to me!) then I continued to say I wondered how you were doing, because I knew you were very concerned, and that I HOPED that YOU matched! :)

Do you see now? I truly intended no offense. I was making a statement about a person I knew, then continuing, mentioned your name because I knew you were always very concerned about matching, and hoped that you either matched or got an offer outside the match...

Does that make sense now? Sorry to have inadvertently caused you shock...
I was making two different statements talking about two different people.

BH

Really?:)I am happy now.
I thought you did hate me for some unknown reason. We are okay now.:D