2008 pathology applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really?:)I am happy now.
I thought you did hate me for some unknown reason. We are okay now.:D

Good! Sorry for the confusion. Glad you matched... :)

BH

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I would mention that despite everyone's worrying about the increasing competitiveness of path, we are actually near the top of the list for % unfilled spots.

Path: 41/508= 8% Unfilled
Family has higher: 249/2636=9%

And that's about it. Psych has about 5%, and I am ignoring all of the Med/Peds, Med/ER, etc combos and things there are ridiculously few of, like Genetics, as well as the various prelim years. (For some reason it looks like there are few Neurosurgery and Urology, which I'm not sure about.)

So . . hopefully this means that many are getting their top picks, and I haven't noticed any posts about scrambling yet, but those that have to will have good chances!

Congrats, I was rooting for you! :thumbup:

Sweet, Thursday doesn't matter for you, start the celebration! :thumbup:

where did you find this info? I can't find anything from nrmp.

where did you find this info? I can't find anything from nrmp.

If you login to the NRMP site, then click "My Reports" on the left, then "Regional Match Statistics by Specialty"

It gives you a listing of all the unfilled spots by area. The percentages I calculated myself 41/508=.08

Members don't see this ad :)
If you login to the NRMP site, then click "My Reports" on the left, then "Regional Match Statistics by Specialty"

It gives you a listing of all the unfilled spots by area. The percentages I calculated myself 41/508=.08

Perhaps we should wait until after the scramble... for all we know there are 65 people out there trying to fill those 51 slots.

Perhaps we should wait until after the scramble... for all we know there are 65 people out there trying to fill those 51 slots.

I heard from a very unreliable source that there were something like >100 unmatched AMGs and ~300 unmatched FMGs...

This was third hand information, and probably completely wrong. Still, isn't it fun to speculate?

BH

I heard from a very unreliable source that there were something like >100 unmatched AMGs and ~300 unmatched FMGs...

This was third hand information, and probably completely wrong. Still, isn't it fun to speculate?

BH

if so that makes the 41 unfilled spots that much weirder

if so that makes the 41 unfilled spots that much weirder

Yeah. Those numbers are most likely totally wrong but I thought I'd throw them out there. Still I wouldn't be totally surprised... seems like most people interview at <10 programs, and may rank even less... very interested to see how all the statistics stack up this year.

Mmm match week beer time,
BH

I am just happy I matched on Monday. I kind of wish I hadn't looked at the unfilled spots list cuz my speculation has gotten out of control!

So now that we are post match, I figured I'd be relaxed and non-stressed. What I've realized is that my stress has shifted, now I'm stressing over finding a place to live!

Congrats to everyone on matching! Hopefully ya'll have a nice vacation before residency starts. I'm thinking about using some of my leftover loan money and going to the Greek Islands.

So now that we are post match, I figured I'd be relaxed and non-stressed. What I've realized is that my stress has shifted, now I'm stressing over finding a place to live!

I avoided this by matching someplace that's a commutable distance from my current house (in the opposite direction)... :)

I hear you on the vacation. I'm working until June 1st, I think, then taking a month off... exchange rates stink at the moment though, so not sure where I'll go... maybe just a last minute weekend vacation somewhere. I am going on a cruise in April, but its with my in-laws...

BH

I know what you mean, especially so because I have to sell my house.:scared:

I have to say, I'm very pleased with the communication I've recieved from my program. After congratulatory email from the PD, and a phone call and email from the research institute director, I've already been contacted by one of the chief residents to discuss scheduling and inquire as to my preferences for CP rotations in the first year as well as any potential "off-time" needs like paternity leave, etc.

Anyone else experiencing this?

BH

Yes, lots of emails from PD/staff/residents as well as snail mail that was mailed on Match Day. Nothing regarding scheduling (though this is less of an issue at the program I'll be going to than at many). Lots of stuff to get done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone signed their contract yet?? I'm still waiting for mine in the mail... man its s...l...o...w.

Anyway, can you believe this? My program director sent me flowers!! Haha it sounds kinda cheezy here, but they are beautiful!

I just recieved a welcome email. But they have informed me that I'll have information coming early next week. I'm stressing about finding housing.

I am surprised how on top of things the programs are. I thought it would be a while before hearing anything, but it was a nice touch to see a welcome E-mail for me on Match day and I have received a few E-mails indicating that they are working on things over there.

I just recieved a welcome email. But they have informed me that I'll have information coming early next week. I'm stressing about finding housing.

i hear ya, tiki. i'm basically looking for 2 moves simultaneously - i'm gonna get an apartment short term, but long term it's cheap enough in columbus to buy, so i'm also looking at real estate listings, trying to learn about neighborhoods, etc. i remember the UVa residents saying that buying in c'ville on a resident's salary would be tough, but that there is a lot of pretty decent stuff available near the grounds.

Anyway, can you believe this? My program director sent me flowers!! Haha it sounds kinda cheezy here, but they are beautiful!
That's crazy. I didn't get flowers. I'm still waiting for my convertible to show up... :) They have been overnighting stuff to me like mad, which is cool. I got a ton of HR paperwork wednesday, and my contract should show up today. The malpractice coverage form was the most confusing thing I've ever seen, primarily because it seems to be designed for surgeons.
no flowers for me. something looking like a contract has come, but i don't see a salary listed on there.
It's a trap! :)I was super pleased with my medical insurance... everything is extra cheap if you get it done at the hospital where I'm working, plus you get free MRI/CT/PET scans. :)BH

Flowers from your PD is creepy IMO.

Has anyone signed their contract yet?? I'm still waiting for mine in the mail... man its s...l...o...w.

Are you a girl? If they are sending flowers to guys also I would be :eek:

i hear ya, tiki. i'm basically looking for 2 moves simultaneously - i'm gonna get an apartment short term, but long term it's cheap enough in columbus to buy, so i'm also looking at real estate listings, trying to learn about neighborhoods, etc. i remember the UVa residents saying that buying in c'ville on a resident's salary would be tough, but that there is a lot of pretty decent stuff available near the grounds.

2 moves is twice the stress! :scared:

I'm definitely going to be renting. I don't have the time or money to put into taking care of a house. But I don't think I'm going to be able to make it back to Cville to look for apartments, so I have to do it via the internet, which scares me.

On an unrelated note....YAY for it being Friday!

Got tons of paperwork. Nothing resembles a contract yet; most of those look like job application forms. :(

I'm definitely going to be renting. I don't have the time or money to put into taking care of a house.

I agree. I own a house right now and I can't wait for the carefree life of renting again. Maybe if you had a brand new, nice house, things would be different, but I have personally repaired/remodeled almost everything in this house.

I agree. I own a house right now and I can't wait for the carefree life of renting again. Maybe if you had a brand new, nice house, things would be different, but I have personally repaired/remodeled almost everything in this house.

perspective is everything, eh sean? i've never owned a home before, and i'm excited to not have noisy neighbors, useless apartment complex staffers, and the freedom to plant some fruit trees and a vegetable garden in my backyard. yeah, it'll be more work, but i hope it's worth it as much as i think it will be.

perspective is everything, eh sean? i've never owned a home before, and i'm excited to not have noisy neighbors, useless apartment complex staffers, and the freedom to plant some fruit trees and a vegetable garden in my backyard. yeah, it'll be more work, but i hope it's worth it as much as i think it will be.

Yeah, it depends I guess. I did not originally plan to spend only 2 years in this house, so it has turned more from my home into my job, a la Flip That House or something of that sort. It should be going on the market this weekend, so fingers crossed for eager buyers. Real estate is down in the country overall, but Pittsburgh is slow to react to that. Housing can't really get that much cheaper around here. I hear Columbus is similarly pretty affordable. You could probably skip the renting period if you see a property you would like to buy and have time to scope things out. You should be able to get a standard mortgage even before starting residency because they will look at your contract and promised salary as income. Of course, there's the pesky down payment.

Yeah, it depends I guess. I did not originally plan to spend only 2 years in this house, so it has turned more from my home into my job, a la Flip That House or something of that sort. It should be going on the market this weekend, so fingers crossed for eager buyers. Real estate is down in the country overall, but Pittsburgh is slow to react to that. Housing can't really get that much cheaper around here. I hear Columbus is similarly pretty affordable. You could probably skip the renting period if you see a property you would like to buy and have time to scope things out. You should be able to get a standard mortgage even before starting residency because they will look at your contract and promised salary as income. Of course, there's the pesky down payment.

if i knew anything about columbus neighborhoods i'd consider going straight into a house, but i don't, and i want at least a few months to learn the area before sinking over 100 grand into a home. as to down payment, it looks like some of the physician loan companies allow 100% financing, so the only cash needed up front would be closing costs.

if i knew anything about columbus neighborhoods i'd consider going straight into a house, but i don't, and i want at least a few months to learn the area before sinking over 100 grand into a home. as to down payment, it looks like some of the physician loan companies allow 100% financing, so the only cash needed up front would be closing costs.

Easy credit has really been clamped down on. I'm not sure how much that has affected physician loans, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is much harder for a resident to secure one of these no-money down loans.

Now that the real estate market is finally coming back to reality, I look for some of the old guidelines for home buying to come back into play. Specifically, only buy a place if you will be there for at least five years (the historical time period to break even on a home purchase) and only buy a place if you can pay a down payment.

The down payment thing is making me nervous, too. Though someone mentioned to me a "doctor's loan" from Bank of America (it's not called that...something "professional" loan...) that's a one time, lower interest thing designed for newly minted health professionals. What truth there is to that, I'm not sure, but it sounds nice...I'll be looking into it.

Sean, whadya think of that email we got the other day? Put a little smile on my face.

Good luck with the house!! As for Indy--I've been told to stay on the East side of the river...avoid the West side.

Are you a girl? If they are sending flowers to guys also I would be :eek:
Yes, I'm a girl. I was kinda curious as to what they sent the guys... Something to discuss at orientation! I just wish I could see who the other residents are!

The down payment thing is making me nervous, too. Though someone mentioned to me a "doctor's loan" from Bank of America (it's not called that...something "professional" loan...) that's a one time, lower interest thing designed for newly minted health professionals.

Just closed on a Physician's Loan from Bank of America - 30 yr fixed, no down payment required, no PMI, great interest rate. Shop around, though, lots of banks offer Physician's Loans (and they are not a one-time thing...banks know that you will be making $ the rest of your life and will extend lots of credit to keep you a loyal debtor)

Just closed on a Physician's Loan from Bank of America - 30 yr fixed, no down payment required, no PMI, great interest rate. Shop around, though, lots of banks offer Physician's Loans (and they are not a one-time thing...banks know that you will be making $ the rest of your life and will extend lots of credit to keep you a loyal debtor)

interesting - i didn't realize BoA would do that (no PMI, no down payment). mind if i ask what rate you got (feel free to PM if you'd rather not share publicly)? i'm hoping for 5.75% or less. and after all the mortgage mess, i'm not even going to consider an ARM.

interesting - i didn't realize BoA would do that (no PMI, no down payment). mind if i ask what rate you got (feel free to PM if you'd rather not share publicly)? i'm hoping for 5.75% or less. and after all the mortgage mess, i'm not even going to consider an ARM.

I've already been getting bombarded by e-mails from realtors from the area as well as lendors who claim to do the same thing as BoA. They already trying to set up meetings/showings. How weird is that?

I know that the interest rate is dependent on various individual factors but can someone please share some of the rates they have been getting?

Good luck to all the first time home buyers... try your best not to let emotion take over (and I know its hard). All this talk is reminding me, I need to try to refi my current mortgage. I think I can shave a whole percentage point or more off now...

I've been recieving all the relocation offers too, which is semi-annoying because I'm not moving! Recieved all the HR paperwork, various GME office forms, and contracts via UPS last week. About to UPS them all back... :)

BH

We locked in at an upswing in the Fed rate fluctuations but still did pretty well at 6.125%. We had to have the $ for closing costs in the bank for three months prior, but otherwise it was a really smooth deal. Our credit is solid, so I don't think you can get a lower rate from BoA unless you have a big down payment (we didn't) or points, etc.
The Bank of America loan officer we used was Deborah Miller, and I would highly recommend her office; even though they weren't local they were on the ball. We just responded to one of those advertisements you get in the mail! We shopped around a little bit and this was the best deal we could find.

We locked in at an upswing in the Fed rate fluctuations but still did pretty well at 6.125%. We had to have the $ for closing costs in the bank for three months prior, but otherwise it was a really smooth deal. Our credit is solid, so I don't think you can get a lower rate from BoA unless you have a big down payment (we didn't) or points, etc.
The Bank of America loan officer we used was Deborah Miller, and I would highly recommend her office; even though they weren't local they were on the ball. We just responded to one of those advertisements you get in the mail! We shopped around a little bit and this was the best deal we could find.

thanks for that info - 6.125 seems a bit high based on what i've seen/heard over the last few months. also, at some point i'm going to have to get a better understanding of the whole "points" issue. if i can drop my monthly payment a significant amount for a little cash up front, it's something to consider. i'm working with a mortgage broker on ohio, and so far i've been happy with him, but i certainly agree there can be good reason to search around for the best overall deal for each borrower.

Sean, whadya think of that email we got the other day? Put a little smile on my face.

Good luck with the house!! As for Indy--I've been told to stay on the East side of the river...avoid the West side.

Yeah, so far everyone has been really nice. I think it will be a great place to go. Can't wait to meet everyone.

The house is officially for sale now, which is good. Let's hope for lots of prospective buyers.

thanks for that info - 6.125 seems a bit high based on what i've seen/heard over the last few months. also, at some point i'm going to have to get a better understanding of the whole "points" issue. if i can drop my monthly payment a significant amount for a little cash up front, it's something to consider. i'm working with a mortgage broker on ohio, and so far i've been happy with him, but i certainly agree there can be good reason to search around for the best overall deal for each borrower.

I had heard bad things about brokers costing you more, but when I bought my second house I used a mortgage broker that came highly recommended to me, and he got me a much better deal that I was being offered on my own or via my credit union.

6.125% does seem a tad high for a 30yr fixed, but you're going to pay more for 100% financing, and its going to depend on your individual credit history and such... so in reality, may not be that absurd. Also depends on the local market.

Points are essentially paying interest in a lump sum up front to lower your payments. It can make more or less sense depending on how long you plan on staying the house, etc. There's at least one calculator at:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/Calsystem2/Calculators/InterestVsPoints/Default.aspx

I am sure there are others. Good luck to everyone that has to move.

BH

no flowers for me. something looking like a contract has come, but i don't see a salary listed on there.

At our institution (and I believe most if not all, someone correct me if I'm wrong), the salary is dictated by the graduate medical education office, not the individual residency programs. So you would be hired at whatever salary (actually a "stipend" since it's a training program) is in effect for that year. I don't recall my program's contract having the specific stipend either but it's easy enough to go to the GME's website and find out that information.

and after all the mortgage mess, i'm not even going to consider an ARM.

I did the BoA doctor loan with an ARM at 5.375%. It's a great deal, or at least it was since I planned to move after residency, but now that I am looking at staying I am planning to refinance to a 30-year fixed. If you are absolutely sure you will be moving before the rate adjusts, then an ARM can still be a good deal. If there's any chance you'll stay, go with the fixed rate.

With that said, the people who are getting into trouble with the adjustable rate mortgages are those with poor credit. Folks like us (who statistically are likely to have better credit due to being more disciplined) are less likely to get in trouble because with good credit we should be able to refinance to a fixed rate. If you can't refinance and the rate adjusts, suddenly you can't afford your house and are out on the street.

With that said, the people who are getting into trouble with the adjustable rate mortgages are those with poor credit.

Or I guess if you are unsuccessful at selling it when the adjustment period comes.

I can't stress enough how strongly I would advise against buying a house unless you are absolutely certain you are going to stay in that city for something like 10 years.

Sure it is a "buyer's market" right now, I certainly agree with that. I just had a buyer make an offer on my house, ask for ridiculous demands and then walk away on the sale even though I agreed to everything, after wasting 2 weeks of my market time.

I went to check out houses vs. apartments near my residency recently and there are very nice houses available for a reasonable price. But don't forget that in just 4-5 short years, you could be that poor chap selling when there are a dozen other houses exactly like yours already on the market. The house would have to increase in value by over 25% just to recover the costs of closing, agent commissions, maintenance, real estate taxes etc. (Assuming you'd like to get your down payment back.)

I am doing a Hemepath rotation at the moment which is very good, but I am hardly learning anything because I have to jump out of my seat every 10 minutes to answer a phone call from my wife, real estate agent, or furnace guy. Luckily I'm a 4th year med student and I can get away with that.

Anyway, I don't want to be Mr. Raincloud over here, but don't let people fool you by saying, "You're wasting your money by renting."

I can't stress enough how strongly I would advise against buying a house unless you are absolutely certain you are going to stay in that city for something like 10 years.

Sure it is a "buyer's market" right now, I certainly agree with that. I just had a buyer make an offer on my house, ask for ridiculous demands and then walk away on the sale even though I agreed to everything, after wasting 2 weeks of my market time.

I went to check out houses vs. apartments near my residency recently and there are very nice houses available for a reasonable price. But don't forget that in just 4-5 short years, you could be that poor chap selling when there are a dozen other houses exactly like yours already on the market. The house would have to increase in value by over 25% just to recover the costs of closing, agent commissions, maintenance, real estate taxes etc. (Assuming you'd like to get your down payment back.)

I am doing a Hemepath rotation at the moment which is very good, but I am hardly learning anything because I have to jump out of my seat every 10 minutes to answer a phone call from my wife, real estate agent, or furnace guy. Luckily I'm a 4th year med student and I can get away with that.

Anyway, I don't want to be Mr. Raincloud over here, but don't let people fool you by saying, "You're wasting your money by renting."

Meh.

Even if you don't get all your initial money back (which you easily could in 4-5 years) you would still get most of it back. Compare that with paying rent and spending anywhere from 8-20K per year that you'll NEVER get back and can't even deduct from taxes. That's like giving away 60K in 5 years, assuming your rent is $1000 a month (not very much).

The real problem is living in an expensive city where you just can't play this game because you don't have enough income/equity.

Compare that with paying rent and spending anywhere from 8-20K per year that you'll NEVER get back and can't even deduct from taxes. That's like giving away 60K in 5 years, assuming your rent is $1000 a month (not very much).

This is exactly what I meant about "wasting your money renting," the supposition that somehow you will get back a good deal of your monthly mortgage payments. For the first several years of your mortgage term, you are paying essentially all interest and gaining very little equity. It is exactly like renting. Add to that the responsibility for your own repairs and utilities. 60K in 5 years would be amazing, but I just don't see it. I guess I can give some real numbers about my own house.

Initial price of house: 95,000
I paid at closing: 7,000 (approximately half of which went to closing costs)
Now my mortgage is worth: 89,000
Listed my house at: 123,000
Money I put into new appliances and remodeling/repairs: God knows, probably 10,000
My agent's fee: 6% of sale price

Now I've had my furnace inspected and I need a brand new furnace, so that's another 1-2 grand I will be shelling out soon. If you do the math, I will be lucky to get about 15,000 at the end of this, which is less than the 7,000 I paid at closing plus the 10,000 or so I have put into repairs and remodeling. I would be getting nothing back from my monthly payments.

Anyhow, hopefully it works out better for my fellow forumites.

Sean

Oh, forgot to add the labor I personally put into above mentioned remodeling and repairs. That costs nothing, but I could have made more profit working a job on the side and I probably would have gotten better grades in med school.

Anyway, don't listen to me, I'm bitter and jaded about home buying. I just put in for a 2 year apartment lease and I can't believe how ridiculously sweet it is to only pay one of my utilities and have somebody else mow the lawn and empty a free dumpster.

And then when the house can't be sold in the timeframe you'd like to see it sold, you're looking at putting it on the rental market, filtering through dumb CL responses, finding a management company or otherwise managing the property from afar after having moved for residency/fellowship.

@#$%^&!!

I can't believe how ridiculously sweet it is to only pay one of my utilities and have somebody else mow the lawn and empty a free dumpster.
Ah, but do you have someone to do the snow? ;)

Meh.

Even if you don't get all your initial money back (which you easily could in 4-5 years) you would still get most of it back. Compare that with paying rent and spending anywhere from 8-20K per year that you'll NEVER get back and can't even deduct from taxes. That's like giving away 60K in 5 years, assuming your rent is $1000 a month (not very much).

The real problem is living in an expensive city where you just can't play this game because you don't have enough income/equity.

This post is too simplistic in comparing renting vs. buying and I've seen a ton of people throw out this rationale when buying. Plenty of detailed examinations have been done on this and if you throw out the occasional speculative bubbles (like the one we're currently exiting), almost the entire economic advantage of buying over renting has to do with avoiding inflation. Those benefits are only realized if you are living in a place long term (better to pay a fixed mortgage than rent, which will increase over time).

But aren't you just throwing money away when you rent? Yes, but you also throw away a ton of money when you own (even if you factor in the tax advantages). Real estate commissions, closing costs, increased utility bills, maintenance (have fun writing a check to replace a furnace or a septic tank), homeowner's association fees, etc. Does your new place have a yard? Then you need to factor in the cost of a lawn mower, gas, landscaping, etc. Don't forget the added time costs of ownership. Is your new place bigger than an apartment? Are you going to fill it up with furniture you wouldn't have bought otherwise? The picture gets much uglier if your property actually drops in value before you're ready to sell.

Of course, for many people there are noneconomic advantages to owning your own place and I am certainly in favor of home ownership if the decision is well-researched and carefully deliberated. I've just seen a lot of people rush into the decision because everyone knows "owning is better than renting". Some of those people have received a rude wake up call now that they see how expensive owning can be.

Well shoot, Sean's example with actual numbers illustrates my point better than my wordy post.

And then when the house can't be sold in the timeframe you'd like to see it sold, you're looking at putting it on the rental market, filtering through dumb CL responses, finding a management company or otherwise managing the property from afar after having moved for residency/fellowship.

@#$%^&!!

Ah, but do you have someone to do the snow? ;)

Oh man! Is that the situation you're in? I have definitely thought about the possibility that I may have to rent it out, but it will be unpleasant for exactly the reasons you say. Not to mention at this time of year I am particularly apprehensive about next year having to say "yes" when TurboTax asks me, "Do you own a rental property?" and whatever that would entail. Plus having incomes from 2 different states, oh gosh.

Regarding the snow, they do that too! They might do a half-assed job but to be honest the only reason I shovel my sidewalk all the time is the silent judgement of my neighbors if I don't do it. I actually think it gets slipperier (that can't be a word) after you scrape it down to a thin layer.

I'm sure there will be difficulties of renting as well, but now the things I used to complain about at my old apartment complex seem like not that big of a deal. Mice, you say? Free toys for my cats!

Well shoot, Sean's example with actual numbers illustrates my point better than my wordy post.

I'm glad to see what you wrote, it's good to hear I am not crazy or the only fool who didn't tap into the gold mine of owning.