2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
grrr the wording on this secondary makes me a bit worried.. i have a 3.7+ with more than 10 in PS and BS but my VR is wayy below 10! soooo is 130$ gonna be a waste of money here? do you think there is a cut off?!

no guts no glory--I have pretty terrible stats, but it's not stopping me from trying :)

Members don't see this ad.

grrr the wording on this secondary makes me a bit worried.. i have a 3.7+ with more than 10 in PS and BS but my VR is wayy below 10! soooo is 130$ gonna be a waste of money here? do you think there is a cut off?!

They accept lower mcat peeps all the time, their average is only a 32 (lower in reality). I wouldnt worry. I have a 9 verbal im still applying. You never know :shrug:

thanks guys =) i am going to go all the way with it (although ill be broke after its all over).. my stats are lower than both of you, i have a 28R with a 6 in verbal, the rest of my application is solid and I am also disadvantaged! i really hope they dont have a cut off and they get to see the rest of my application :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to get the fee system to work yet?

thanks guys =) i am going to go all the way with it (although ill be broke after its all over).. my stats are lower than both of you, i have a 28R with a 6 in verbal, the rest of my application is solid and I am also disadvantaged! i really hope they dont have a cut off and they get to see the rest of my application :xf:
well you never know right? I mean if it makes you feel better i have a 29 and am also disadvantaged, i still applied. Maybe we both will get in or maybe we wont lol. Or maybe we both will have a million rejections between us and left crying at the end:smuggrin: I stopped worrying about my mcat a while ago and just decided to see where it goes and retake next cycle if necesary

well you never know right? I mean if it makes you feel better i have a 29 and am also disadvantaged, i still applied. Maybe we both will get in or maybe we wont lol. Or maybe we both will have a million rejections between us and left crying at the end:smuggrin: I stopped worrying about my mcat a while ago and just decided to see where it goes and retake next cycle if necesary

Thanks Elijah! i kinda forgot about my mcat too after i got verified and the whole process started! but gtown just had to remind me today :cry:

good luck to u this cycle and lets prove that its not all about numbers (or hope we do) ;)

WHY WON'T THEY ACCEPT MY MONEY?

keeps saying credit card declined

WHY WON'T THEY ACCEPT MY MONEY?

keeps saying credit card declined

LOL. It's like, here I'm trying to give you money, take it! And gtown is like, no, we don't want it.:laugh:

130?? this is seriously making me think about withdrawing. you'd think they'd be willing to charge less considering how many people apply..:thumbdown:

130?? this is seriously making me think about withdrawing. you'd think they'd be willing to charge less considering how many people apply..:thumbdown:

seriously!! & i thought paying 1000+ for AMCAS was painful :(

seriously!! & i thought paying 1000+ for AMCAS was painful :(

on top of that, what got me was the cost of living in the georgetown info PDF: $70,000 :eek:

I might not actually finish this one...I'd looked at the previous projected cost of living, etc, but must have blocked it from my mind because my jaw dropped at that figure.

Definitely not the cheapest place to apply, interview, or go to--but I am looking at this whole interview process as a chance to finally go on vacation because for the last two years I haven't had a chance to travel further than 45 minutes from the lab! :)

Goodluck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not the cheapest place to apply, interview, or go to--but I am looking at this whole interview process as a chance to finally go on vacation because for the last two years I haven't had a chance to travel further than 45 minutes from the lab! :)

Goodluck everyone!
agreed :D

Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)

Wow, that prompt is taking forever for me to write.

I hope they really dont want a 5000 char essay. Its almost personal statement over again.

I hope they really dont want a 5000 char essay. Its almost personal statement over again.

haha me too, if that's what they want they are not getting it from me! I'll be lucky if I can get it to half a page

this is probably one of the toughest secondaries so far. and i thought chicago was rough lol

idk...I personally prefer these longer, open-ended essays versus the short, cram everything you can into 250 characters or 4 lines. I look at these big ones as my time to shine and to highlight every good quality about myself...lol. I also write a lot, so perhaps I am biased...

I just typed up my response to their prompt on Word and it told me I was at around 4900 characters (with spaces), but when I entered it into the Gtown app it says I have 5700 characters. I've double-checked and their estimate seems to be waaay off, but I don't want to certify if they're going to chop off some of my essay. Is this happening to anyone else? Pretty weeeiird, hope it doesn't mean my Word is wrong.

I just typed up my response to their prompt on Word and it told me I was at around 4900 characters (with spaces), but when I entered it into the Gtown app it says I have 5700 characters. I've double-checked and their estimate seems to be waaay off, but I don't want to certify if they're going to chop off some of my essay. Is this happening to anyone else? Pretty weeeiird, hope it doesn't mean my Word is wrong.
did u count spaces?

5000 characters is a lot to write. i have to do this in addition to the 6 the i received within the last 2 days. *sigh*

Their character count was exactly what I expected. Might want to check on that so your other essays don't get cut off...

Submitted. This secondary was all right.

wow nice blue you are so fast with these things!!! im currently sitting on 6 of them and i have today and tomorrow off! i have a feeling ill only get 2 of them done this week if im lucky =/

r u working on your secondaries full time?!

I know I'm not being asked, but I am currently working on them full time and send my condolences to those who have to work alongside this process

wow nice blue you are so fast with these things!!! im currently sitting on 6 of them and i have today and tomorrow off! i have a feeling ill only get 2 of them done this week if im lucky =/

Nah, not full time, I have other things going on too. I just gave up on all the other fun stuff I should be doing on summers.:(

im planning some vacations alongside too not that im not stressed enough as it is but i figured i wont have time to do that later and i need a balance ;)

it takes me a while to get my secondary essays proofread, r u guys doing that or not so much?!

im planning some vacations alongside too not that im not stressed enough as it is but i figured i wont have time to do that later and i need a balance ;)

it takes me a while to get my secondary essays proofread, r u guys doing that or not so much?!

Haha. I just write, read it once, copy and paste, read it again, and then boom, it's off.

Same, but I may have the girlfriend or a friend read over the essays with more actual content to them.

Haha. I just write, read it once, copy and paste, read it again, and then boom, it's off.
same here, i had them pre written so theres not a lot for me to do on them typically, though any UC or USC secondary i will have proofread by a few people to make sure they are awesome. I dont want to take any chances on the cali schools.

That's my process exactly too. Sometimes I'll sleep on the longer ones because when I wake up I can usually identify something really stupid that I thought was brilliant the night before.

over-achiever!!!!!

i'm sitting on 6 too!!! summer school started on monday so i'm really falling behind. must...beat...BlueElmo!!! :D

Submitted this bad boy earlier today...I absolutely love this school!!! I just hope they like me enough to invite down to pay them a lil' visit in a few months :xf:

Hi all. I'm a Georgetown undergrad and let me tell you...Gtown is one of the funnest, most beautiful campuses with beautiful people all over and breakthrough medical and scientific advancements all the time. I mean, a few months ago, President Obama came to campus to give a lecture on the state of the economy for CNN (got to see him live) and a few years back Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger gave an open lecture on the campus front lawn. Also, this place is always happening. The fun parts of DC are literally a 10 minute walk from campus and you can reach the most happening spot in DC, Adams Morgan, in like 7 minutes by taxi. So if you want a great medical education and have a fun life while doing it as well as matching into some of the best residencies, Georgetown is the place to do it. Good luck!:thumbup:

Hi all. I'm a Georgetown undergrad and let me tell you...Gtown is one of the funnest, most beautiful campuses with beautiful people all over and breakthrough medical and scientific advancements all the time. I mean, a few months ago, President Obama came to campus to give a lecture on the state of the economy for CNN (got to see him live) and a few years back Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger gave an open lecture on the campus front lawn. Also, this place is always happening. The fun parts of DC are literally a 10 minute walk from campus and you can reach the most happening spot in DC, Adams Morgan, in like 7 minutes by taxi. So if you want a great medical education and have a fun life while doing it as well as matching into some of the best residencies, Georgetown is the place to do it. Good luck!:thumbup:

Yeah I am definitely crossing my fingers for an interview :xf:

I love Georgetown's location in general. DC is where I want to get involve in health care policies. Hope I land an interview.

Well, if anyone is as crazy as I am and working on GT's secondary, their site is down FYI...

It's good to see some of the familiar faces in different secondary threads.

I'm just wondering how long are you guys making this essay to be. I feel like 5000 characters are a bit absurd. they can't possible actually want people to write close to that limit right? Writing why i love mount sinai in 200 words or less was actually harder than i thought, but i still feel like 3000 characters are around good range. How are people approaching this?

It's good to see some of the familiar faces in different secondary threads.

I'm just wondering how long are you guys making this essay to be. I feel like 5000 characters are a bit absurd. they can't possible actually want people to write close to that limit right? Writing why i love mount sinai in 200 words or less was actually harder than i thought, but i still feel like 3000 characters are around good range. How are people approaching this?
Length doesnt matter, I talked to a current student he said some people write like 1000 characters others write 5000, both are still equally accepted after interviews. Just write the truth, and write why you are interested, length does not matter at all. For me I really love g town and there were several reasons as to why I wanted to go, therefore mine was about 4000. Remember though concise is good. No one wants to read 5000 worth of BS about cura personalis or some other overdone topic. If you write 2000 characters and you said why you are interested, then you are done.

Length doesnt matter, I talked to a current student he said some people write like 1000 characters others write 5000, both are still equally accepted after interviews. Just write the truth, and write why you are interested, length does not matter at all. For me I really love g town and there were several reasons as to why I wanted to go, therefore mine was about 4000. Remember though concise is good. No one wants to read 5000 worth of BS about cura personalis or some other overdone topic. If you write 2000 characters and you said why you are interested, then you are done.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
mine was about 3400.

Length should never be an issue in these types of practically open-ended questions. Write what you mean and write it well. Do not BS just because you feel you have to fill up the entire space.

I agree with Elijah and FML. quality>quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.