2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats newbies...enjoy your summer and get excited

Members don't see this ad.

It's been quiet around here for a while. Anyone else still waiting for aid info? They told me it was mailed almost 2 weeks ago.

It's been quiet around here for a while. Anyone else still waiting for aid info? They told me it was mailed almost 2 weeks ago.

Yeah I don't know what it is about their financial aid office...they are really nice and helpful over the phone but it takes 3X longer than in should to receive anything by mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I am applying to Georgetown for the 2011 cycle, and am trying to get the secondary done early (I really like this school!). I am working on the prompt assuming it stays the same, and had a question for anyone who just got in or had a good experience with GUSOM- how did you write the secondary essay in a way that doesn't just compliment the school over and over? I have many reasons for liking the school but do not know how to start the essay without sounding something like "GUSOM is great, and so I want to go there." any tips?

Thanks

Hey all,

I am applying to Georgetown for the 2011 cycle, and am trying to get the secondary done early (I really like this school!). I am working on the prompt assuming it stays the same, and had a question for anyone who just got in or had a good experience with GUSOM- how did you write the secondary essay in a way that doesn't just compliment the school over and over? I have many reasons for liking the school but do not know how to start the essay without sounding something like "GUSOM is great, and so I want to go there." any tips?

Thanks

Here you go buddy: http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=42253

If you want to expand the word "great," use this article to help you.

Just declined my acceptance. I hope one of you gets it!

Here's my opinion:

Don't just pick reasons why you like the school. Pick reasons why you fit well at the school, each one backed up by EXPERIENCE. The school wants to know (1) why you fit in there, (2) what you will contribute to the school, and (3) that you will pick their school if given an acceptance (they are concerned about improving their ranking).

For example:

"After spending three years volunteering at the ABC Free Clinic, I am dedicated to helping the underserved. Georgetown's XYZ Free Clinic and Helping the Underserved Student Group will allow me to continue my work in this area."

"I spent three months working on a public health project in Mexico, which fueled my interest in global health. Georgetown has a world-class international health program that would... I am excited by the opportunity to expand my project in Mexico through the ABC Summer Grant Program..."

"While earning my philosophy minor, I have spent four years studying how the mind and body are interconnected. The relationship between the physical and spiritual self has been a particular focus of mine, so Georgetown's emphasis on Cura Personalis resonates with me."

Don't write an add for the school. Write an add for yourself at the school.

End by throwing down some love. In the words of another SDNer somewhere on this thread, say "Pick me, pick me, pick meeeeeee."

Here's my opinion:

Don't just pick reasons why you like the school. Pick reasons why you fit well at the school, each one backed up by EXPERIENCE. The school wants to know (1) why you fit in there, (2) what you will contribute to the school, and (3) that you will pick their school if given an acceptance (they are concerned about improving their ranking).

For example:

"After spending three years volunteering at the ABC Free Clinic, I am dedicated to helping the underserved. Georgetown's XYZ Free Clinic and Helping the Underserved Student Group will allow me to continue my work in this area."

"I spent three months working on a public health project in Mexico, which fueled my interest in global health. Georgetown has a world-class international health program that would... I am excited by the opportunity to expand my project in Mexico through the ABC Summer Grant Program..."

"While earning my philosophy minor, I have spent four years studying how the mind and body are interconnected. The relationship between the physical and spiritual self has been a particular focus of mine, so Georgetown's emphasis on Cura Personalis resonates with me."

Don't write an add for the school. Write an add for yourself at the school.

End by throwing down some love. In the words of another SDNer somewhere on this thread, say "Pick me, pick me, pick meeeeeee."

This is perfect. Thom, Go Ducks just gave you a gold mine. That's exactly what they want and what they told us they were looking for during interview day.

Thank you so much Go Ducks! This really helps.

Maybe call Ms. Sullivan to ask if the class if full. I doubt it is, but she can give you a definite answer.

Maybe call Ms. Sullivan to ask if the class if full. I doubt it is, but she can give you a definite answer.
As of a couple weeks ago, the class was full. Of course, spots will still open up as time goes on and people withdraw. But I think it could be fairly slow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey AyCaramba - any good news from Gtown?
No not yet. Excited for Wake though, which starts July 22, so if I don't hear from Gtown soon, I might have to withdraw just for the sake of practicality. But we'll see!

So what are the updated stats of CAP and accepted off of CAP? I saw there was a running list before.

Congrats to those getting off the CAP! Question: have you guys sent in additional information after the original letter of intent to Dr. Lauerman?

Congrats to those getting off the CAP! Question: have you guys sent in additional information after the original letter of intent to Dr. Lauerman?

I sent a second letter of interest in march to follow up on the first one i sent in nov after being placed in the CAP. I think they like to see continued contact and if you're still hoping to get it, i'd definitely recommend letting them know you're still interested!

Anyone still waiting on aid info? Weeks ago they said it was in the mail.

I am working at a residential camp in the mountains. I have limited cell or internet access. I just emailed the financial aid office.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking forward to seeing everyone in the fall.

Good luck to those who are on the CAP.

No not yet. Excited for Wake though, which starts July 22, so if I don't hear from Gtown soon, I might have to withdraw just for the sake of practicality. But we'll see!

Wake's great! And yeah, withdrawing when you reach the point of no return with regards to being given a reasonable amount of time to transition will give you some peace of mind. Either way, sounds like you'll be happy. So congrats :)

Has anyone gotten the promisory notice for Perkins loans yet? I got a notice to sign for Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized through the snail mail, but nothing from Perkins yet...

I need a new computer, where can I find the requirements/recommendations?

I need a new computer, where can I find the requirements/recommendations?

I don't know where it is written but they said the only requirement is that it is a lap top. Mac or PC is your choice, though I have heard some of the programs lean a little more towards mac.

Hey Guys!

I'll be joining some of the people here as I will be attending the Georgetown's SMP!

Good luck!! :luck:

Hey all I'm from out of the area and will be going to Georgetown come Fall. Is there anything Gtown does to help incoming students find housing/roommates with other incoming M1's?

Status
Not open for further replies.