2009-2010 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Withdrew as well. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

did you all receive your financial aid packages? I am still waiting for mine.

Got my package in the mail yesterday. I'm so excited to go here, in spite of the fact that all I got was federal loans... no grants... oh well, it'll be worth it

Members don't see this ad :)
Giving up on Gtown, Syracuse here I come... I waited long enough.

You should at least wait until after May 15th.

Oh I will but I have pretty much given up hope on all my waitlists (CaseW, UCDavis, Vanderbilt, and Gtown). I'll wait till the WorldCup starts but after that I have to commit to somewhere and start making living arrangements... The process is so stupid... What am I supposed to do get an apartment and move across the country with 1 days notice? Just stupid...

Oh I will but I have pretty much given up hope on all my waitlists (CaseW, UCDavis, Vanderbilt, and Gtown). I'll wait till the WorldCup starts but after that I have to commit to somewhere and start making living arrangements... The process is so stupid... What am I supposed to do get an apartment and move across the country with 1 days notice? Just stupid...

I agree. I'm going to give up on my waitlists (Gtown, Duke, and Wake Forest) in early to mid-June because otherwise it's just not enough time. I think a lot of the people (though obviously not all) who take those spots 1 day before orientation probably don't have any other acceptances and had nothing to lose by staying on waitlists.

interesting... i got my financial package.

i received $17,000 in grants, which makes this school cheaper than tOSU for me during M1.....

congrats! do you know if grants are one time or annual?

I agree. I'm going to give up on my waitlists (Gtown, Duke, and Wake Forest) in early to mid-June because otherwise it's just not enough time. I think a lot of the people (though obviously not all) who take those spots 1 day before orientation probably don't have any other acceptances and had nothing to lose by staying on waitlists.

Sorry to hear it guys. I completely understand and am very disgusted with the way admissions are done as well. If we're ever on adcoms, hopefully we can change some things. Wish you guys would be coming here but hey, it's all good.

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't mention renewable.

but on that note, i am sadly withdrawing. hope you guys (mrmilad, aycaramba) get my spot.

I was under the impression that Gtown mostly gives out loans?? That's awesome they offered you 17k in grants!

Sorry to hear it guys. I completely understand and am very disgusted with the way admissions are done as well. If we're ever on adcoms, hopefully we can change some things. Wish you guys would be coming here but hey, it's all good.

doesn't mention renewable.

but on that note, i am sadly withdrawing. hope you guys (mrmilad, aycaramba) get my spot.
Well fortunately, Georgetown claims to accept the vast majority of people on the waitlist who write the letter(s) to show interest. I assume there will be big movement next week...

hey go beers,

i was just told my scholarship is renewable, perhaps urs is to? dont know if that will factor at all.

Regarding the daily grind of studying/learning at Gtown - do we use the internet/computer a lot or is it more traditional (reading in the book and answering questions)?

I didn't think it was this hard to withdraw. Nevertheless, I hope one of you CAP will get my spot and enjoy the experience. Wish you the very best @ gtown!

Regarding the daily grind of studying/learning at Gtown - do we use the internet/computer a lot or is it more traditional (reading in the book and answering questions)?

I am curious about that myself.

I still have not received mine. I called today and they said it was sent out on Monday but I do live in Cali so that could explain why it is taking so long. He gave me the option of receiving it by email if I do not get it by today.

2 days before the May 15th deadline is really cutting it close...but who am I kidding, I am only considering gtown at this point anyways. :D

I didn't think it was this hard to withdraw. Nevertheless, I hope one of you CAP will get my spot and enjoy the experience. Wish you the very best @ gtown!

What do you mean? You send an email and its done?

Books are useful but you don't "need" any books except for maybe the anatomy books for lab. Most people just go over the powerpoints/lecture audios etc. That's all you really need for the tests.

I was told my package was mailed out Tuesday; still nothing and I live about 4 hours away.

This process stinks, applicants have firm deadlines but schools seem to be able to take their time. I doubt gtown is the only school behind on their fin aid. This has to be horrible for students considering different schools based on the aid before the 15th.

I was told my package was mailed out Tuesday; still nothing and I live about 4 hours away.

This process stinks, applicants have firm deadlines but schools seem to be able to take their time. I doubt gtown is the only school behind on their fin aid. This has to be horrible for students considering different schools based on the aid before the 15th.

Amazing,

I never got a call back. Never got my fin aid package. Reflects poorly on the school and embodies much of the "gossip" surrounding this institution.

Amazing,

I never got a call back. Never got my fin aid package. Reflects poorly on the school and embodies much of the "gossip" surrounding this institution.

I agree completely, I had to call twice and finally got it emailed to me...

I am pretty upset. When I spoke to financial aid at 2nd look I was told I would probably get about 20K in aid. Instead I got ALL LOANS... 73K year didn't sound so bad until I saw it in writing. How do the rest of you feel about this price tag? How much will we be paying per month once we get into residencies?

I am pretty upset. When I spoke to financial aid at 2nd look I was told I would probably get about 20K in aid. Instead I got ALL LOANS... 73K year didn't sound so bad until I saw it in writing. How do the rest of you feel about this price tag? How much will we be paying per month once we get into residencies?

At least you got it. LAME

All I got was loans too. I mean it sucks but it's not the end of the world. With location, personal situation with my fiance's law schooling, and the feeling I got at the school, I'd rather pay 30K more a year than go to my state school in memphis, or to UK which told me it would cost me $81k a year as an out of stater.

It sucks though that they led you to believe that you would be getting financial aid. Sorry to hear it.

I just got my financial aid package - all loans. :thumbdown:

Staring at $71,425 a year isn't what depresses me. It's thinking about how much more it will actually cost to pay it all back over the years.

I have also been accepted to the Air Force HPSP. I have been leaning towards telling them no because I don't want them telling me what to specialize in, but now I have to reconsider.

I really shouldn't be complaining, though. Think of how many people applied this year and didn't get accepted anywhere. I'll bet they would kill to be in our position, staring that wall of debt in the face.

Staring at $71,425 a year isn't what depresses me. It's thinking about how much more it will actually cost to pay it all back over the years.

I have also been accepted to the Air Force HPSP. I have been leaning towards telling them no because I don't want them telling me what to specialize in, but now I have to reconsider.

I really shouldn't be complaining, though. Think of how many people applied this year and didn't get accepted anywhere. I'll bet they would kill to be in our position, staring that wall of debt in the face.

You don't necessarily have to do an AF residency. If they have GMO tours available, you can elect to do a flight surgery tour or something of the like and get out at the end of your commitment, then do residency in the civilian world.

How do current Georgetown students find the A-F grading scale? Do they wish it was a P/F sort of system? Have people who have decided on Georgetown considered this when deciding on the school?

It's technically not A-F, its Honors, High Pass, Pass, low pass (but it shows up on your transcript as pass), and Fail, but its not a distribution like you'd be used to for an A-F system. about 70% or so of the class receives a pass and then 20-25 high pass and 5-10 honors. so they're pretty rigid curves.

I'd say the general sentiment is that we'd prefer to have straight P/F and there is talk of changing it within the next couple years. but probably wouldn't affect anyone planning on coming next year.

congrats to everybody who's gotten in!

I can't speak for the air force specifically, but I'm on a Navy HPSP, and the forcing you to do a specialty really doesn't happen. Your worst case scenario is that you do something like a GMO tour, pay back some of the 4 years you owe, and bump yourself up on the selection criteria. In general the military residencies are easier to get than they would be in the civilian world, especially for things like ortho, and gen surgery.

Last edited:
I stalled out in the middle of applying for Navy HPSP (for a few reasons), and am considering the FAP. I think everyone who thinks about HPSP should look into the FAP as well. It's not as financially advantageous but it affords you the flexibility of choosing your own specialty, choosing your own residency, and then approaching the military for some loan repayment. I have been told by several people currently in the military that this is the way to go. Here's an SDN thread on it:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189443

I can't speak for the air force specifically, but I'm on a Navy HPSP, and the forcing you to do a specialty really don't happen. Your worst case scenario is that you do something like a GMO tour, pay back some of the 4 years you owe, and bump yourself up on the selection criteria. In general the military residencies are easier to get than they would be in the civilian world, especially for things like ortho, and gen surgery.

Not to disagree with you, but it DOES happen. I know one resident in the DC area who wanted EM but got surg, and another who wanted surg and got family practice (shudder). They're both miserable and they're both facing long residencies, 3-4 years of repayment, and THEN have to make the decision about whether to go back and re-do the residency of their dreams. To me, the mere possibility of this occurring to me is not worth the immediate financial rewards. Also, from the people I've talked to (when I was debating USUHS vs HPSP vs civilian all the way), military residencies are not as competitive as civilian, with the practical result being that you exit behind your colleagues practically and academically, and the probability of you getting a civilian fellowship (e.g. hand or breast for plastics) is practically nil.

Just something to think about. :) Message me if you have questions... I've been going through all of this since September of last year.

I was told my fin aid package was mailed out last Tuesday and I still have not received it after a week. Anyone else in the same boat?

I was told my fin aid package was mailed out last Tuesday and I still have not received it after a week. Anyone else in the same boat?

I was told mine was sent out last Monday but did not receive it till Saturday. I called the admissions office on Friday however,and they emailed it immediately. You should try this too. They really should make sure that all accepted students have their financial aid package before May 15th...

Did anyone else get an email about a background check this morning....

I was told mine was sent out last Monday but did not receive it till Saturday. I called the admissions office on Friday however,and they emailed it immediately. You should try this too. They really should make sure that all accepted students have their financial aid package before May 15th...

The admissions office or the fin aid office? Thanks

starting to look like I've been passed over yet again...

but congrats to everyone who was accepted today!

starting to look like I've been passed over yet again...

but congrats to everyone who was accepted today!

Lol Tell me about it. I think I have turned invisible to the adcoms. Screw you gtown!

Does anyone have an idea of how they take from the CAP? There seemed to be a large movement yesterday to acceptance. Will there be more this week? Or, is it going to be very slim after yesterday with only a few moves for gap filling?

Accepted of CAP yesterday! This was my first choice, ill see all of you there soon!

Does anyone have an idea of how they take from the CAP? There seemed to be a large movement yesterday to acceptance. Will there be more this week? Or, is it going to be very slim after yesterday with only a few moves for gap filling?

Hey some weeks ago when I sent my CAP letter in Dean Sullivan said that there would be a large movement following 5/15 but that the list would continue to move. I wish you the best!! Also I've heard from a reliable source that they like receiving more update letters, even after the CAP letter response. Best of luck again.

I am in a similar boat as MrMilad and Aycaramba. While Wednesday was the big day for CAP movement, not everyone who was offered a spot to fill the class after the May 15th exodus will accept. Furthermore, there will inevitably be people that are on wait lists elsewhere that will be accepted and then turn down Georgetown.

So while our chances have become slimmer, there definitely will be SOME remaining movement from the CAP. Also each year a handful of people defer their acceptance. That creates those 1 to 2 week before orientation acceptances.

If your still on the CAP, there is plenty of time. If your still on the CAP and don't want to attend Georgetown, please withdraw :)

congrats to everyone who has been accepted and GL to the remaining stragglers on the CAP

Status
Not open for further replies.