2009-2010: Internship Interviews Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a request for a thread to share/discuss questions that people came across on their interview travels. Please do not identify the specific site, as some sites may not want that specific of information to be out there. I think a fair compromise is to list questions by category: Academic hospital, VA hospital, Counseling Center, School (K-12, non-university), etc.

*I'll add more as needed*

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Counseling Questions

1) Who are you as a person?
2) What is your theory of change?
3) How do you handle change?
4) Describe a difficult case and how you handled it.
5) Tell us about your professional development - what brought you into this field and what has influenced you.
6) How can you tell when a client is ready for termination?
7) Describe your group experience and what you would like to gain from group experience at our site.
8) Talk about a case in terms of etiology, conceptualization, treatment and outcome.

Last edited:
place holder for counseling questions

Sorry T4C, I'm not sure how you want people to post questions so I used the quote function. Here are some of the questions I've been asked so far:

1) Who are you as a person
2) What is your theory of change
3) How do you handle change
4) describe a difficult case and how you handled it
5) Tell us about your professional development - what brought you into this field and what has influenced you
6) How can you tell when a client is ready for termination
7) describe your group experience and what you would like to gain from group experience at our site

I've also been asked by at least 3 sites so far to talk about a case in terms of etiology, conceptualization, treatment and outcome

If anyone could be so kind as to post questions they received specific to neuropsychology tracks, it would be a great help. I know many of the questions will be similar to general sites, but I would like to know what additional types of questions I might be asked. Thanks in advance!

Here are some questions I received thus far:

VA:
Why us? What drew you to this site?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
What assessment measures have you used?
What treatment interventions have you used?
Do you have experience working in a VA?
What are your career goals?
What made you choose your graduate program?
What psychologist has influenced your development as a psychologist?
Do you have experience working with x population?
What sets your apart from other applicants?
Why did you decide to become a psychologist?
What is your theoretical orientation?
Describe a case you conceptualized based on your theoretical orientation and how you proceeded with treatment.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Sorry T4C, I'm not sure how you want people to post questions so I used the quote function.

That's perfect....it lets me know which category to put the questions in. I put "other", "other2", etc for categories that I didn't think of yet.

Thank you ortho for posting some q's! I'll check back tomorrow and update the thread....i'm off to bed.

Substance Abuse:

-what do you do if a client is manipulating you
-how do you treat an adolescent when the family refuses to become involved
-describe all of the physical, mental, emotional, social changed adolescents go through

then many of the "regular" questions

Substance Abuse:

-what do you do if a client is manipulating you
-how do you treat an adolescent when the family refuses to become involved
-describe all of the physical, mental, emotional, social changed adolescents go through

then many of the "regular" questions

Wow, ALL of the changes adolescents go through? That's going to be a long answer! - although I guess it's important to know if that's your population...

*PLACE HOLDER FOR HOSPITAL QUESTIONS*

Academic

General

VA

General Psychiatric Hospital

Who within the field of psychology has influenced your work/approach to clients the most?
Who outside of the field influenced you the most?
Discuss an ethical dilemma in your clinical work and how you've addressed it.

There was a group interview, a bunch of applicants with a bunch of staff, followed by individual interviews. They also gave out a case vignette and asked the applicants to present it w/treatment approach, etc. in the individual interviews.