2009-2010 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you receive a secondary, PM (Private Message) ksmi117 and me with the prompt and LOR reqs. We'll update this thread.

2008-2009 Secondary Prompts

Albany Medical College - Prompt - Thread
Albert Einstein College of Medicine - Prompt - Thread
Baylor - Prompt - Thread
Boston University - Prompt - Thread
Brown - Prompt - Thread
Case Western - Prompt - Thread
Columbia - Secondary - Prompt - Thread
Cornell University (Weill) - Prompt - Thread
Creighton - Prompt - Thread
Dartmouth - Prompt - Thread
Drexel - Prompt - Thread
Duke - Prompt - Thread
East Carolina (Brody) - Prompt - Thread
East Tennessee (Quillen) - Prompt - Thread
Eastern Virginia Medical College - Prompt - Thread
Emory - Prompt - Thread
Florida International University - Prompt - Thread
Florida State University - Prompt - Thread
George Washington University - Prompt - Thread
Georgetown - Prompt - Thread
Harvard - Prompt - Thread
Howard - Prompt - Thread
Indiana University - Prompt - Thread
Jefferson - Prompt - Thread
Johns Hopkins - Prompt - Thread
Loma Linda - Prompt - Thread
Loyola (Stritch) - Prompt - Thread
LSU - New Orleans - Prompt - Thread
LSU - Shreveport - Prompt - Thread
Mayo - Prompt - Application Thread
Marshall University (Edwards) - Prompt - Thread
Medical College of Georgia - Prompt - Thread
Medical College of Wisconsin - Prompt - Thread
Medical University of South Carolina - Prompt - Thread
Mercer - Prompt - Thread
Michigan State - Prompt - Thread
Meharry - Prompt - Thread
Morehouse - Prompt - Thread
Mount Sinai - Prompt - Thread
New York Medical College - Prompt - Thread
NEOUCOM - Prompt - Thread
Northwestern - Prompt - Thread
NYU - Prompt - Thread
Ohio State - Prompt - Thread
Oregon Health & Sciences University - Prompt - Thread
Penn State - Prompt - Thread
Rosalind Franklin - Prompt - Thread
Rush - Prompt - Thread
SLU - Prompt - Thread
Stanford - Prompt - Thread
Stony Brook - Prompt - Thread
SUNY Downstate - Prompt - Thread
SUNY Upstate - Prompt - Thread
Southern Illinois University - Prompt - Thread
Temple - Prompt - Thread
Texas A&M - Prompt - Thread
Texas Tech - Prompt - Thread
Texas Tech (El Paso) - Prompt - Thread
The Commonwealth Medical College - Prompt - Thread
Tufts - Prompt - Thread
Tulane - Prompt - Thread
UMDNJ-RWJMS - Prompt - Thread
UMDNJ-NJMS - Prompt - Thread
Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences - Prompt - Thread
University of Alabama - Prompt - Thread
University of Arizona - Prompt - Thread
University of Arkansas - Prompt - Thread
University at Buffalo (SUNY) - Prompt - Thread
University of California - Davis - Prompt - Thread
University of California - Irvine - Prompt - Thread
University of California - Los Angeles - Prompt - Thread
UCLA/Drew - Prompt - Thread
University of California - San Diego - Prompt - Thread
University of California - San Francisco - Prompt - Thread
University of Central Florida - Prompt - Thread
University of Chicago (Pritzker) - Prompt - Thread
University of Cincinnati - Prompt - Thread
University of Colorado - Prompt - Thread
University of Connecticut - Prompt - Thread
University of Florida - Prompt - Thread
University of Hawaii - Prompt - Thread
University of Illinois - Prompt - Thread
University of Iowa (Carver) - Prompt - Thread
University of Kansas - Prompt - Thread
University of Kentucky - Prompt - Thread
University of Louisville - Prompt - Thread
University of Maryland - Prompt - Thread
University of Massachusetts - Prompt - Thread
University of Miami - Prompt - Thread
University of Michigan - Prompt - Thread
University of Minnesota - Prompt - Thread
University of Mississippi - Prompt - Thread
University of Missouri (Columbia) - Prompt - Thread
University of Nebraska - Prompt - Thread
University of Nevada - Prompt - Thread
University of New Mexico - Prompt - Thread
University of North Carolina - Prompt - Thread
University of North Dakota - Prompt - Thread
University of Oklahoma - Prompt - Thread
University of Pennsylvania - Prompt - Thread
University of Pittsburgh - Prompt - Thread
University of Rochester - Prompt - Thread
University of South Alabama - Prompt - Thread
University of South Carolina - Prompt - Thread
University of South Dakota - Prompt - Thread
University of South Florida - Prompt - Thread
University of Southern California (Keck) - Prompt - Thread
University of Tennessee - Prompt - Thread
University of Texas - Galveston - Prompt - Thread
University of Texas - Houston - Prompt - Thread
University of Texas - San Antonio - Prompt - Thread
University of Texas - Southwestern - Prompt - Thread
University of Toledo - Prompt - Thread
University of Utah - Prompt - Thread
University of Vermont - Prompt - Thread
University of Virginia - Prompt - Thread
University of Washington - Prompt - Thread
University of Wisconsin - Prompt - Thread
Vanderbilt University - Prompt - Thread
Virginia Commonwealth University - Prompt - Thread
Virginia Tech Carilion - Prompt - Thread
Wake Forest University - Prompt - Thread
Washington University in St. Louis - Prompt - Thread
Wayne State - Prompt - Thread
West Virginia University - Prompt - Thread
Wright State - Prompt - Thread
Yale - Prompt - Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love you guys for making this. you just saved me many minutes of hitting the search button :love:

Do the schools use the same topics each year? And exactly what does the secondary application compose of?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the schools use the same topics each year?

mostly. you can draft them ahead of time but sometimes schools will tweak them from year to year.

And exactly what does the secondary application compose of?

for some schools it's more essays and for some it's just a form and an application fee. browse around-- look at the link in this thread and you'll get a sense of what different schools ask.

People seem to recieve secondaries and send them out very quickly. How often do people get their essays edited? Or do most people just look it over themselves and then send it out?

In terms of optional essays, does it look bad if you don't do them?

Also, my pre-health committee letter won't be ready till August first. My primary won't be submitted untill probably June 26 at the latest. I'm assuming I'll be verified by the second or third week of July, and thus will recieve secondaries late July. However i'm working on them now so I will probably send most of them before August 1st. Do LORs have to be sent with secondaries, or can they be sent after secondaries have been sent?

Sorry for posting these annoying questions but I need to know how to organize my summer...

I don't know much but as far as I can tell your application is considered incomplete until the schools have received your secondary applications, LORs and your verified primary. Approximating when AMCAS will be verified and when your letter packet will be sent can give you a good idea of the earliest your application will be complete.

Hope this helps and someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks guys, and how often do you guys edit your secondary essays? Do you guys just write them, look it over, and then turn it in? Or do you write it, send it to people to check over, edit it, and then send it in? Seems really time consuming, especially with 42 schoolsssssss

Thanks guys, and how often do you guys edit your secondary essays? Do you guys just write them, look it over, and then turn it in? Or do you write it, send it to people to check over, edit it, and then send it in? Seems really time consuming, especially with 42 schoolsssssss

I edit them a bit, review them a few times etc etc...remember this isnt the PS where you need to have 19023921 people look over and make it perfect. content is far more important then style for secondaries. Write it out, make sure it says what you want, and make sure the grammer is good then send. Most of these things are literally 5 sentances or less sometimes so they are very easy to write. I did a rough draft for about 30 schools based on last years prompts and it didnt take me too long. They often repeat themselves and if you are a decent writer you can get them going fast. Also remember that while you may have applied to 42 schools, close to 10 ( or in my case about 15) of them will have no secondary prompts or the equivalent of no prompts so it will cut down on your work. Also since you can easily copy and past a few common essays (such as diversity, overcoming challenges) that dramatically cuts down on the work.

Also im not saying these arent important or you should give your best effort. Its just that they are not as bad as people would have you think. doing 30 secondaries or so isnt that hard. Honestly for some schools it seems like its going to take longer to fill out the pre req grid then do the propmts. You can have people read a few of your secondaries but i doubt anyone would read 30+ of them for you (i know i wouldnt even for my best friend). Thats just too much work.

I generally follow this: write, let sit for 3 days, edit the third day, after reading it once more on 4th day send in the fourth day. Ofcourse, it also depends on the 2ndry, long secondaries may take 2 days to write. But for 2ndaries <1 page, this seems to work out pretty well.

Alright guys thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Maybe some secondaries will screen me out and that would be even less work lol jk

You can have people read a few of your secondaries but i doubt anyone would read 30+ of them for you (i know i wouldnt even for my best friend). Thats just too much work.

Agreed. Getting my English degree girlfriend to read select essays is tough enough. I have to kick the charm up a few notches before sending her 18 pages of melodramatic BS on a hot summer day.

And BTW, I never realized just how many schools there are until I scrolled through that list trying to find all the hyperlinked prompts. My eyes are still fuzzy.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I've only heard of one school sending out secondary invites: Dartmouth. Anything else?

I received Ohio State, Florida State, and Uniformed Services secondary request today...

Does anyone know if these schools just send them to everyone who intially applied?

So far I've only heard of one school sending out secondary invites: Dartmouth. Anything else?

I received Ohio State, Florida State, and Uniformed Services secondary request today...

Does anyone know if these schools just send them to everyone who intially applied?

you guys should check out the threads specific to the schools you're applying to. that's where the answers will be :)

Does anyone know where I can find a list of schools with secondaires that have no essays?

Does anyone know where I can find a list of schools with secondaires that have no essays?
You wont know until the school releases the secondary, however if you check the 2008-2009 secondary thread, you will see which schools didnt require essays and chances are they will be the same this year.

Columbia and GWU have officially sent - and they are already available anyway.

p.s. im not verified yet

Can you get secondaries before your primary is even verified?

and what is the 2-4 weeks limit for send it in? what if that limit is reached before your letter can be sent in or primary gets verified

how do you recieve most secondaries? snailmail, email?

Not sure.

and what is the 2-4 weeks limit for send it in? what if that limit is reached before your letter can be sent in or primary gets verified
I don't think there is such a limit. Usually people recommend submitting your secondary in ~2-4 weeks after receiving it - that is maybe what you are referring to?

how do you recieve most secondaries? snailmail, email?
All I have received so far have been by email.

.... how do you recieve most secondaries? snailmail, email?

yes you can get some before verification

most are by email as in email with link to website or PDF that you have to mail in. I also just got an email telling me that a secondary was coming via snail mail

Is it important to use most or all of the allotted space for each essay. I am writing one that gives space for about 3000 characters but only have about 1800 or so. Does this matter to admissions folk? Thanks for your help.:)

Is it important to use most or all of the allotted space for each essay. I am writing one that gives space for about 3000 characters but only have about 1800 or so. Does this matter to admissions folk? Thanks for your help.:)

It doesnt matter at all, length is a non-issue for just about every single secondary there is. The more concise the better.

This is question for everyone:

Without having actually attended any recruitment events or visiting the school before, how much do you actually know about the schools you are applying to aside from its reputation?

I'm finding it a bit hard to really understand how some of the schools really will be like, I'm pretty sure I'm making some assumptions that most of the schools I'm applying to will be like the medical school at my alma mater.

Any comments?

This is question for everyone:

Without having actually attended any recruitment events or visiting the school before, how much do you actually know about the schools you are applying to aside from its reputation?

I'm finding it a bit hard to really understand how some of the schools really will be like, I'm pretty sure I'm making some assumptions that most of the schools I'm applying to will be like the medical school at my alma mater.

Any comments?
simply put you dont know anything and you cant unless you are from the area, its your alma mater, or you somehow have visited/maybe have friends or family there. Honestly I just applied to schools I think I would have a chance at. If you dont apply by that rule, others apply by geography or whether a school is focused on primary care or research. But truthfully you will always be making assumptions and not know about each school until you at least go on an interview day there. Even then imo, you wont really know until you are enrolled and attending...

simply put you dont know anything and you cant unless you are from the area, its your alma mater, or you somehow have visited/maybe have friends or family there. Honestly I just applied to schools I think I would have a chance at. If you dont apply by that rule, others apply by geography or whether a school is focused on primary care or research. But truthfully you will always be making assumptions and not know about each school until you at least go on an interview day there. Even then imo, you wont really know until you are enrolled and attending...

Then how we do answer questions like why our school? Do you just answer honestly with: I have a hunch your school is good? I like the weather?

Mount Sinai prompts

.1. Personal Essay One (Required) (suggested 250 words or less) .
What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community?​
.2. Personal Essay Two (Optional) (suggested 200 words or less) .
Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai.​

Why is 2 weeks the magic number for returning secondary apps?

Is it like, after 2 weeks we put your file in a dusty cabinet and take our time getting it back out if you submit your secondary after that? I mean so many have deadlines in Dec or Jan and OF COURSE you want to get everything in ASAP and not put it off but why is 2 weeks the time frame they all use?

Why is 2 weeks the magic number for returning secondary apps?

Is it like, after 2 weeks we put your file in a dusty cabinet and take our time getting it back out if you submit your secondary after that? I mean so many have deadlines in Dec or Jan and OF COURSE you want to get everything in ASAP and not put it off but why is 2 weeks the time frame they all use?

lol. it is a recommended deadline - and if u meet it, some schools see it as you are genuinely interested. of course, they wont hate u if u don't do it in 2 weeks.

Then how we do answer questions like why our school? Do you just answer honestly with: I have a hunch your school is good? I like the weather?

Bumping what I think are 2 good questions.

Bumping what I think are 2 good questions.

Is it important to use most or all of the allotted space for each essay. I am writing one that gives space for about 3000 characters but only have about 1800 or so. Does this matter to admissions folk? Thanks for your help.

1800/3000 is fine. I think a reasonable general rule for essays with large character limits is ~70%. So I would guess that the average applicant would write ~2100 for the 3000 essay, just as a benchmark. But I can bet good money someone with 1500 will get in too.

Do what Elijah said. That's really the only option sometimes.

Okay so I found out my committee letters won't be done until the first week of august and then they will be sent in. I have submitted like 8 or 9 secondaries. Will they even look at it until my letter gets to them? I mean I paid and everything...!!!

Okay so I found out my committee letters won't be done until the first week of august and then they will be sent in. I have submitted like 8 or 9 secondaries. Will they even look at it until my letter gets to them? I mean I paid and everything...!!!

Probably not.

you app will not be looked at until lors come in and you wont be complete until they are.

Go read up about them and their mission statement ETC. I'll probably answer the question the same way I'll be answering "why are you a good fit for us".

I mean there are reasons you picked them over say some mexican med school that you could probably get into without batting an eye. I think just patting them on the back a little and explaining how you are what they want (although you'd probably spin it around and say they are what you want)

Can't you bribe them to write it for you at least a couple weeks early??! Just try it! Worked perfectly for me. :D

So how did you guys get your passport-sized photos which some of these schools require? Some schools want you to upload it online while others (GWU, i.e.) want it attached to the form for you to mail in :confused:

Hey Everyone--

So I'm super paranoid, and I am starting to get nervous.

Does anyone here know which schools (specifically) are supposed to send you secondaries WITHOUT AMCAS verification, and which typically wait?

I ask only because I submitted to AMCAS in early July (although my last transcript didn't arrive until the 20th), and I have yet to receive only two secondaries.

I know there are people out there who have inboxes "full of secondary applications" and so I was wondering if this is abnormal, considering that I applied to 20ish schools?

Thanks!
JP

Hey Everyone--

So I'm super paranoid, and I am starting to get nervous.

Does anyone here know which schools (specifically) are supposed to send you secondaries WITHOUT AMCAS verification, and which typically wait?

I ask only because I submitted to AMCAS in early July (although my last transcript didn't arrive until the 20th), and I have yet to receive only two secondaries.

I know there are people out there who have inboxes "full of secondary applications" and so I was wondering if this is abnormal, considering that I applied to 20ish schools?

Thanks!
JP
until you are verified there is nothing to worry about.

can anyone tell me who does automatic secondaries? my app was verified yesterday and all of a sudden about 9 secondaries trickled in throughout today....

i'm wondering if they even read my personal statement since I got a secondary so fast...

can anyone tell me who does automatic secondaries? my app was verified yesterday and all of a sudden about 9 secondaries trickled in throughout today....

i'm wondering if they even read my personal statement since I got a secondary so fast...

They didn't read your PS. I think the current guess is about 80% of schools auto send (almost all of the top 30). It is easier to think of schools that don't: Vandy, Miami, Eastern Virginia, VCU... I can't think of any more at the moment.

How come Saint Louis university school of medicine is not on this list>?>!!!

Write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join X School of Medicine.

I would like to enroll in X medical school for many reasons. Blah, blah...

...This is how I start all of my secondaries lol. Anybody got better topic sentences or is this ok? :confused: :bang:

Write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join X School of Medicine.

I would like to enroll in X medical school for many reasons. Blah, blah...

...This is how I start all of my secondaries lol. Anybody got better topic sentences or is this ok? :confused: :bang:

Write it as you would say it, since it may be asked at an interview.

Write it as you would say it, since it may be asked at an interview.

what? no. do not write your essays colloquially.

also, why would an interviewer care if you spoke the exact words that were in the first sentence of your essay? the important thing is to be honest with the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.