2009-2010 Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what? no. do not write your essays colloquially.

also, why would an interviewer care if you spoke the exact words that were in the first sentence of your essay? the important thing is to be honest with the content.

I didn't mean colloquially lol. I meant whatever you write (in terms of content, not word choice), just go with things you would say if asked in person.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS. where in the world is camaras? Her absence today is felt. +pity+

So I am not going to receive my MCAT scores till Sept 1. I heard that you can still submit your Secondaries a bit early and hope that when they get to you the MCAT scores will be in already. When is a good time to submit the Secondaries so that the MCAT scores will be there by they check it.
OR will my secondary even be in line to be checked if it has no MCAT.

Where are the Puerto Rican School secondaries located?

So I am not going to receive my MCAT scores till Sept 1. I heard that you can still submit your Secondaries a bit early and hope that when they get to you the MCAT scores will be in already. When is a good time to submit the Secondaries so that the MCAT scores will be there by they check it.
OR will my secondary even be in line to be checked if it has no MCAT.
Bumped.

I think they won't look until entire app is complete. just dont make them wait longer by taking too long w/ 2*.

Just pointing out a little mistake, the link for University of Florida's thread links you to UCONN's thread.

Where are the PR schools on this thread?? They are US schools (LCME) NOT Caribbean. SJB, CC and Ponce.

Where are the PR schools on this thread?? They are US schools (LCME) NOT Caribbean. SJB, CC and Ponce.
almost no one applies to those, so they just arent up, id honestly be surprised if there were even 5 people on sdn who are applying to PR schools...while they are accredited US schools, most US applicants will not ever set foot or apply there.

Hi there, just wanna point out the link to the thread for University of Florida is wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just have a general question...Is the end of August/ first week of September already considered a time period that is "late" for submitting secondaries.

...My goal this year was to get all of my applications processed early. I think I'm beyond early as is...but I'm hoping to not encroach late.

If you have any experience with this or good general advice, can you provide me with an approximate date in which beyond that time, secondaries are considered to be "late?"

Thanks guys...

I just have a general question...Is the end of August/ first week of September already considered a time period that is "late" for submitting secondaries.

...My goal this year was to get all of my applications processed early. I think I'm beyond early as is...but I'm hoping to not encroach late.

If you have any experience with this or good general advice, can you provide me with an approximate date in which beyond that time, secondaries are considered to be "late?"

Thanks guys...

It's late for submitting primaries, but it's not late yet for secondaries for the majority of schools. October would be late for secondaries for most schools, but there are some, like Florida or Cincy that don't mind late secondaries.

1. Is there a list which states whether or not each medical school has an "automatic" secondary or not (prescreen)?

2. Also, this seems like a really dumb question, but do all schools have secondaries?

3. Which schools have "non-rolling" admission?

4. I was reading that there exists a list which states whether or not each medical school secondary is essay based or is one of the "easier" ones... is this true???

Thanks!

Last edited:
1. Is there a list which states whether or not each medical school has an "automatic" secondary or not (prescreen)?

2. Also, this seems like a really dumb question, but do all schools have secondaries?

3. Which schools have "non-rolling" admission?

4. I was reading that there exists a list which states whether or not each medical school secondary is essay based or is one of the "easier" ones... is this true???

Thanks!

1. Its called the MSAR
2. yes
3. no list for this but near everyone is rolling, duke comes to mind for non-rolling
4. no there is no list but you can easily check the school threads to see which schools have no essay prompts such as drexel and nymc for their 2ndaries.

does anyone know why it takes a while for your app to be "complete" after you send in the secondary. like for one school i applied to, it was almost 3 weeks between submitting the secondary and being 'complete'. just wondering why it takes so long?

does anyone know why it takes a while for your app to be "complete" after you send in the secondary. like for one school i applied to, it was almost 3 weeks between submitting the secondary and being 'complete'. just wondering why it takes so long?

Could be a number of things. Sometimes they need to print out all of your information and check to see if you've got them all and got them right before saying it's complete. Some have more staff to do it, some have less, I suppose. Plus, some schools are just kinda lazy about updating your information so even if it's complete they'll wait a while before marking it as complete.

I just noticed that AMCAS listed my first year lecture + lab courses as 3.0 instead of 4.0 (which to my understanding, is a mistake). Will this affect my interview invites? I sent an academic change request but I was complete back in early August (still no love from any schools). Worried I made a huge mistake by thinking it was OK! :confused:

Hey guys..

I have about 20 secondaries I need to complete.

Most of the deadlines are not until November/January, but I want to get them out ASAP.

Any ideas on how to prioritize? Are there some schools in specific that frown upon secondaries not returned within the "2 week" period?

(Check out my schools on MDAPPS)

Last edited:
Hey guys..

Most of the deadlines are not until November/January, but I want to get them out ASAP.

Any ideas on how to prioritize? Are there some schools in specific that frown upon secondaries not returned within the "2 week" period?

I had trouble getting through secondaries (28 down, 2 to go!) and I think the best thing you can do for yourself is get off this forum. It only adds anxiety, and is really not too helpful in the secondary phase. Since it's getting pretty late in the cycle, I would try to get 2 done a day and just truck through them. That way you're not worrying too much about prioritizing because 10 days won't make too much of a difference. I'd do the schools you really want to go to in the middle, when you essays have been through a few drafts but before you burn out and just start copying and pasting. Good luck!!

Hey guys..

The lower level schools tend to care more about early applications.

Hello,

What do you guys know about Creighton med school? Good/bad/so so? I am from the southwest and am wary about moving to somewhere that seems as far and foreign as Omaha. Is Omaha boring/mundane?

I have an interview this week and almost am ready to cancel it because I just don't feel passionate or excited about the school. Any students or anyone who has something to say about it please let me know it would help a lot!

Thanks!

I applied all over Texas, but got no interviews yet... I am trying to apply to other schools in the US... Which ones should I apply to ?

I took the MCAT twice 26Q and then friggin' 25Q... Gpa is 3.7..

I was browsing through some of the threads and found a thread that listed the way each school sent out interview invites (and rejections too). I tried searching for it again, but can't find it... I thought it was different than the "status check thread" that is posted to this forum..

Anybody know what I'm talking about? Or maybe I've gone crazy...

I was browsing through some of the threads and found a thread that listed the way each school sent out interview invites (and rejections too). I tried searching for it again, but can't find it... I thought it was different than the "status check thread" that is posted to this forum..

Anybody know what I'm talking about? Or maybe I've gone crazy...

Not sure about interview invites (might want to check specific school threads for that), but for acceptances and rejections you can check these two threads:

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=668700&page=6

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=660281&page=3

How long after your primary is verified do you get your secondary, usually?

Status
Not open for further replies.