2009-2010 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got accepted today and I also was just on the regular waitlist. I have not really sent them anything since my interview, so anyone can still get in. I have been putting things in motion to go to Jefferson in Philly so now I am really confused. Stony brook is half the price of Jefferson once you get in state tuition. Any thoughts?

i don't think think there's any competition here

SB >> Jefferson

you will get instate tuition after first year ...just follow the few simple steps and you should have no problem

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I'm planning on going to preorientation and hopefully finding some off campus housing options/roommates as well.

I'm also just curious if anyone is planning on doing the MD/MPH and possibly currently taking summer courses (I am).

I got accepted today and I also was just on the regular waitlist. I have not really sent them anything since my interview, so anyone can still get in. I have been putting things in motion to go to Jefferson in Philly so now I am really confused. Stony brook is half the price of Jefferson once you get in state tuition. Any thoughts?

I don't know... I got into both Jefferson and SBU last year. Jefferson was my top choice until I got off the WL to another school. Philly beats Long Island by a lot. Rankings don't mean much. The education at Jefferson's worth it in terms of better clinical rotations and better hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know... I got into both Jefferson and SBU last year. Jefferson was my top choice until I got off the WL to another school. Philly beats Long Island by a lot. Rankings don't mean much. The education at Jefferson's worth it in terms of better clinical rotations and better hospitals.

I was extremely disappointed when I found out SB doesn't do rotations in NYC at all.

congrats!!!

wow it seems like they have exhauasted the HP waitlist and are moving into the reg waitlist.

I had an LOR sent in last week.... and sent in an awesome LOI today... really hoping this shiznit does the trick... dammmnnn so anxious lol.

but with all of this talk on this thread of ppl getting off the WL ... i really wonder just how many are gonna get off before it just stops moving...

I was extremely disappointed when I found out SB doesn't do rotations in NYC at all.

While this may primarily be true, there are rotation at Flushing Hospital, in Queens...The major issue with that is that it is a long commute from SB, if you don't family/friends in that area...

While this may primarily be true, there are rotation at Flushing Hospital, in Queens...The major issue with that is that it is a long commute from SB, if you don't family/friends in that area...

Many SB students still match to NYC residencies. so i don't see it as a problem if you want NYC residency.

Does anyone know who they grade students during clinical rotations? Also, where do you guys go to take the Step1 exams?

Does anyone know who they grade students during clinical rotations? Also, where do you guys go to take the Step1 exams?

clinical rotations are h/hp/p/lp/f.

you can take step 1 wherever you want to. you just have to take it before third year starts.

Many SB students still match to NYC residencies. so i don't see it as a problem if you want NYC residency.

to add to this: you can also do an away rotation in your desired specialty in NYC, though several people match in a NYC hospital without doing an away rotation there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we don't have any financial award info yet maybe one of the med students can shed some light on this:

Is there a possibility for any merit based or need based grants in your financial award or should we be expecting mostly loans from a state school?? Not complaining since I know tuition is already half, but just curious.

Thanks

Since we don't have any financial award info yet maybe one of the med students can shed some light on this:

Is there a possibility for any merit based or need based grants in your financial award or should we be expecting mostly loans from a state school?? Not complaining since I know tuition is already half, but just curious.

Thanks

possibility yes. not sure how likely it is though. aid also vary from school to school. e.g. DS gave me $8000/year but stony only gave me loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
any waitlist movement recently? has anyone called the office in the past week?

This thread is moving so slowlyyyy....Did anybodyy get accepted...any calls...any mail???

Hello, have a full house for rent for medical students/family /serious inquiries, no party people.
3 bedroom /2 bath
less than 15 mins to Stony Brook University / Hospital

bedroom 1 10x10
bedroom 2 12x14
bedroom 3 11x13
living room 11x15
utility room 12x12
dining room
kitchen

2 baths, 1 with full tub, 1 with shower
washer / dryer / fridge / gas stove
contact me at [email protected]

*bump* Also, is there anyone who hasn't been taken off the wait list who is still on the HIGH wait list, or the only people left waiting are regular wait listers?

This thread is moving so slowlyyyy....Did anybodyy get accepted...any calls...any mail???

*bump* Also, is there anyone who hasn't been taken off the wait list who is still on the HIGH wait list, or the only people left waiting are regular wait listers?

useless thread is uselss...although i shouldn't blame the thread for this schools complete lack of WL movement

useless thread is uselss...although i shouldn't blame the thread for this schools complete lack of WL movement

so what exactly are we waiting for at this point? most of the movement happened around may 15th. I bet most seats at SBU are filled by now and nobody's going to drop at this point unless he or she gets off the WL at a better school, which is also unlikely given the lateness in the cycle.

when's their first day of class?

i called them a while back to ask about this (so i could figure out my summer plans) and was told that orientation starts august 24th, and classes start august 31st.

i called them a while back to ask about this (so i could figure out my summer plans) and was told that orientation starts august 24th, and classes start august 31st.

orientation 23 - 27
1st day of classes Aug 30

so what exactly are we waiting for at this point? most of the movement happened around may 15th. I bet most seats at SBU are filled by now and nobody's going to drop at this point unless he or she gets off the WL at a better school, which is also unlikely given the lateness in the cycle.

movement! i was on the regular wait list and got an acceptance today via phone call.
:luck::luck: good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!! theres still hope!!

movement! i was on the regular wait list and got an acceptance today via phone call.
:luck::luck: good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!! theres still hope!!

Congrats!:) I hope I get in too..

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony will be and how many tickets each of us will receive?

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony will be and how many tickets each of us will receive?

white coat ceremony is sep 19th. The academic calender is up. Go to website, current students then under academic calender. dont know the answer to the tickets questions

where do you see this? i only see a list of a lot of classes for 2010-2011 1st year class. good to know its a Sunday in September rather than in the middle of orientation.

where do you see this? i only see a list of a lot of classes for 2010-2011 1st year class. good to know its a Sunday in September rather than in the middle of orientation.

It was up on the academic calendar (I guess they took it down) and also they sent the date in an email and mentioned it at pre-orientation

i just dropped out today! there is now another spot (im a white male from ny)

oooohhh woww.....

im a white male from ny... and i sent the greatest update letter in...

really really hoping i get your spot! lol. idk tho. craziness.

either way congrats on nyu man!

oooohhh woww.....

im a white male from ny... and i sent the greatest update letter in...

really really hoping i get your spot! lol. idk tho. craziness.

either way congrats on nyu man!

Just wondering who got the spot...

two years ago (when i was a first year), we eached received two tickets to the white coat ceremony...although a lot of people managed to bring more guests.

two years ago (when i was a first year), we eached received two tickets to the white coat ceremony...although a lot of people managed to bring more guests.

same deal this year. but there aren't any actual "tickets" so its sortof a moot point...i think unless you bring 10 people you should be fine

same deal this year. but there aren't any actual "tickets" so its sortof a moot point...i think unless you bring 10 people you should be fine

OK, so I shouldn't be begging/paying for a 3rd ticket if they don't actually check for tickets at the ceremony? Also, where is the white coat ceremony usually held?

OK, so I shouldn't be begging/paying for a 3rd ticket if they don't actually check for tickets at the ceremony? Also, where is the white coat ceremony usually held?

i dont remember anyone selling their "ticket" ...but people will send emails offering their extra "tickets" for free.

last year it was in the student activities center on the undergrad side of campus.

While I'm peppering you with questions, how much is the parking at Stony Brook for medical students -- I read somewhere its $250 per year?

While I'm peppering you with questions, how much is the parking at Stony Brook for medical students -- I read somewhere its $250 per year?

that sounds about right. i think it's $22-something a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.