2009-2010 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also got a regular waitlist e-mail several months ago. Does anyone know if they've changed their e-mails, or if there really is a regular waitlist and a high priority one?

It's possible that they send out an additional e-mail after the initial waitlist e-mail.

I really hope this is the case :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible that they send out an additional e-mail after the initial waitlist e-mail.

I really hope this is the case :xf:

I don't mean to burst your bubble but this is the only correspondence I have received since my interview...

Just got an email saying that I am on the 'High Priority List'. I am wondering if this is the same as being waitlisted or is it a separate list?

Email essentially said "...you are one of a select group of individuals whose candidacy generated a great deal of enthusiasm with the committee... however, at this point in time, we have accepted significantly more applicants than available seats... we anticipate that by May 15th, some of the multiple accepted candidates may withdraw... as those seats become available, we will likely be making offers to those on the High Priority List..."

good news or bad news? my emotions are confused?!

hey, i got the same email yesterday and am on HP List. i thought it was the same thing as general wait list, but i guess not? i interviewed 2/25

hey, i got the same email yesterday and am on HP List. i thought it was the same thing as general wait list, but i guess not? i interviewed 2/25

Congrats, I guess? Meanwhile, I find the ridiculous amount of uncertainty we have in this situation ironic!

So apparently HP List is not the same as the general wait list. However, I haven't been able to find any mention of a HP List on any of the older threads on this forum. Although I only looked as far back as 2006.

:confused:

Interviewed on 3/16 and got an e-mail yesterday about being on the waitlist (not HP, just said waitlist). Sucks, but I guess I'll just keep on rolling.

Interviewed 2/4. I just called the admissions office... My file is still UNDER REVIEW! =[

I am planning to go abroad for the summer, and Stony is really holding me up. Does anyone know when their health form is due?

Interviewed 2/4. I just called the admissions office... My file is still UNDER REVIEW! =[

I am planning to go abroad for the summer, and Stony is really holding me up. Does anyone know when their health form is due?

you just have to get it in before the 1st day of class so you can register. though the deadline stated is somewhere in august.

That's not so bad. I interviewed on 11/12 and am still under review. :laugh:

Congrats, I guess? Meanwhile, I find the ridiculous amount of uncertainty we have in this situation ironic!

So apparently HP List is not the same as the general wait list. However, I haven't been able to find any mention of a HP List on any of the older threads on this forum. Although I only looked as far back as 2006.

:confused:

hmm, it's funny because i would have just posted that i was put on wait list if i hadn't read your post. i really didn't think much into it, so i wonder if some past applicants wrote waitlist when they really meant high priority list. i have a feeling the HP list has been around though

Hey, I've been on the waitlist since october, interviewed 9/25. I stupidly deleted my email and I have no idea whether I am on HP or waitlist. grrr...still, hope theres lots of movement this year

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got a decision today after interviewing November 12. :confused:

Sucks about the WL, and the ridiculously absurd time to your decision, but grats at least on finally knowing (kind of), what your status is with SB.

anyone using second to look for housing? I would like to get an idea of whats out there in terms of apt options.

Holy freaking crap

Was your interviewer on sabbatical or something?

My turn around time was something like three weeks. Four months is ridiculous.

anyone using second to look for housing? I would like to get an idea of whats out there in terms of apt options.

yes! Craigslist hasn't really been that helpful. Do you know what the attire is for tomorrow as well?

Just withdrew acceptance from Stony Brook! Best of luck to waitlisters.

yes! Craigslist hasn't really been that helpful. Do you know what the attire is for tomorrow as well?

Yeah i agree. Plus I wanted to get the opinions of students in the know. I think I read somewhere that the attire is business casual.

To everyone who plans to go to 2nd look day tomorrow, please post up any good info. I cannot make it out of Manhattan tomorrow because of school, but I'd like to hear about the housing and other important info. I'm thinking about either living on campus first year or just getting an apartment nearby, since I'm not so chipper about getting a car yet. Thanks.

To everyone who plans to go to 2nd look day tomorrow, please post up any good info. I cannot make it out of Manhattan tomorrow because of school, but I'd like to hear about the housing and other important info. I'm thinking about either living on campus first year or just getting an apartment nearby, since I'm not so chipper about getting a car yet. Thanks.

Glad to know there is another city person who is resistant to get a car. I'm attending tomorrow and will post or pm you helpful info if there is any.

You NEED a car on the island. Period.

Sorry to be blunt.
true that. the only alternative to car is on-campus housing(which sucks per skin MD) or car pool with classmates. i think at least 1 kid in my class made it so far without one though. but having a car will make your life much much easier.

true that. the only alternative to car is on-campus housing(which sucks per skin MD) or car pool with classmates. i think at least 1 kid in my class made it so far without one though. but having a car will make your life much much easier.

I think I've just been spoiled by the city. I mean, I can drive a car, I just don't like driving b/c people tailgate me and complain I drive like a granny... I'd rather walk, but it's nearly impossible on Long Island growing up there. Eh, I'll miss public transportation and my own two feet.

And yes, I've read about the housing part posted by SkinMD... I'll figure things out after graduating. I still need to get a solid transcript in before I continue pondering about life as a med student.

Glad to know there is another city person who is resistant to get a car. I'm attending tomorrow and will post or pm you helpful info if there is any.

Oh Cool! I'd really appreciate it. If driving on my own is not such a hot idea, I was also considering carpooling (save gas, the environment, have a driving buddy) as the better resolution, as opposed to driving on my own. I'll need to get used to highways and all.

Haha, I remember during my interview when the doc asked me "So what have you failed in?" and I said "getting my drivers license" since I failed not 2 seconds into it by driving down the wrong fork. Oy, then I lied to my parents by saying I sucked at parallel parking, and my dad religiously made me re-learn over and over again. At least, now I can parallel park :laugh:... Eh, I'm fine now though, got my license after 2nd test lol...

I just don't like driving b/c people tailgate me and complain I drive like a granny... .

I just put a teddy bear showing through the back window. everybody became very nice to me.

about getting a car:

you have to!

no matter how close to campus you live, even if you do decide to live on campus, you absolutely need a car. nothing is within walking distance of campus. you can't depend on a carpooling buddy to take you grocery shopping etc. you will simply give up your independence if you don't have a car. I feel your pain though...I grew up and went to school in the city and wasn't thrilled about having to buy a car but it's absolutely necessary (have i hammered this home yet?)

also if mcgyver and i are thinking of the same person, that person got their license and bought a car recently because it is impractical to have to depend on others to shuttle you around.

Does anyone know if u have to submit NYS residency proof if u live in NY for several years?

if you've worked in NY/ have off campus housing in NY/ have driver's license/insurance in NY (any of the above) you should be fine.

Does anyone know if u have to submit NYS residency proof if u live in NY for several years?

Is anyone looking for housing yet? Does anyone have a suggestion for a town between Stony Brook and NY(Manhattan) that is easily accessible to both? Fiance will be working in the city and I'm trying to compromise. Thanks!

Is anyone looking for housing yet? Does anyone have a suggestion for a town between Stony Brook and NY(Manhattan) that is easily accessible to both? Fiance will be working in the city and I'm trying to compromise. Thanks!

you should check out huntington, they have express train (~40min) to NYC and is ~40 min drive to stony brook.

So, from last year's threads it looks like the waitlist is a death sentence. Does anyone know on average how many people come off of it? I also happen to be OOS and Stony's past hostility to outsiders makes me worry....
I interviewed 9/25 and was put on WL sometime mid-October.

So, from last year's threads it looks like the waitlist is a death sentence. Does anyone know on average how many people come off of it? I also happen to be OOS and Stony's past hostility to outsiders makes me worry....
I interviewed 9/25 and was put on WL sometime mid-October.

Well I hope it's not representative of all medical school kids applying and getting in... SDN is only a portion of the applicant pool.

Plus, I found a page a while back that listed the stats and this year they mentioned out of 4200 kids, they accept roughly 300 out of 600 interviews, which has to include waitlists. They do have to fill 124 spots, which is small, but maybe they'll increase the class this year, just maybe...

Maybe one of the medical students can answer these qs:

1. Does SB provide video or audio recordings of the lectures?
2. Is there a pass/fail only system during the first two years?

Thanks in advance. I just can't remember what was said when I first visited the school. Seems so long ago now.

Maybe one of the medical students can answer these qs:

1. Does SB provide video or audio recordings of the lectures?
2. Is there a pass/fail only system during the first two years?

Thanks in advance. I just can't remember what was said when I first visited the school. Seems so long ago now.

1. yes. video recording and transcription are available for every lecture
2. no. it's honors, high pass, pass, low pass, and fail. how many people gets which grade is dependent on class. for the first semester, biochemistry honors = 89%, anatomy honors = 85%

Well I hope it's not representative of all medical school kids applying and getting in... SDN is only a portion of the applicant pool.

Plus, I found a page a while back that listed the stats and this year they mentioned out of 4200 kids, they accept roughly 300 out of 600 interviews, which has to include waitlists. They do have to fill 124 spots, which is small, but maybe they'll increase the class this year, just maybe...

yea thanks for your help, im trying to retain my optimism. Currently I'm on three waitlists and am about to become a reapplicant...so that optimism thing is getting progressively more and more elusive...plus i loooove stony~:rolleyes:

yea thanks for your help, im trying to retain my optimism. Currently I'm on three waitlists and am about to become a reapplicant...so that optimism thing is getting progressively more and more elusive...plus i loooove stony~:rolleyes:

Well if it helps any bit, the Facebook group has roughly 60 members (a bunch of c/o 2013 joined, so that bumped up the membership, but I think the definites are less than that)... so judging from that, I'm assuming not all spots are taken. Plus, May 15th is looming. Best of luck to you though!

Oh, I forgot to add, you're bound to get off one waitlist. Send in updates, show your interest, cry for mercy, send them baskets of fruits or something... they'll love you for that and forever remember you :laugh:

Alrighty now, yea, just hang in there. Waitlist movements are around the corner and just focus on this cycle so you don't have to belabor through another one. :thumbup:

Well if it helps any bit, the Facebook group has roughly 60 members (a bunch of c/o 2013 joined, so that bumped up the membership, but I think the definites are less than that)... so judging from that, I'm assuming not all spots are taken. Plus, May 15th is looming. Best of luck to you though!

i counted 29 c/o 2013...lol

Dont think we should be using the fb friends count to judge the class size. A surprising number of students showed up for second look and several didnt know about the fb page

Dont think we should be using the fb friends count to judge the class size. A surprising number of students showed up for second look and several didnt know about the fb page

Hum, interesting... I would think with today's social networking ways people would flock to facebook page and get to know their fellow mates for the next bunch of years? lol... Eh, I'm assuming people are still making decisions for now.

To be honest, I hated it at Stony, the people and place were disconcerting. Good bye and good riddance. W/drwn.

Status
Not open for further replies.