2009-2010 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those accepted, how did you interpret the acceptance criterion regarding changes in academic program? i think this is the second or third criterion from the numbered list of requirements.

At first I just thought it referred to maybe changing majors, withdrawing from ur program etc, but now I'm wondering if it includes changing courses also? If one did different courses from what was stated on the AMCAS course section, under future courses, do they need to be informed of this? I think not since the ADCOM have better things to worry about, but I'll like your views...

Members don't see this ad.

To those of you who already interviewed, how many weeks did you have to wait after your interview until you were notified of the committees decision?

For those accepted, how did you interpret the acceptance criterion regarding changes in academic program? i think this is the second or third criterion from the numbered list of requirements.

At first I just thought it referred to maybe changing majors, withdrawing from ur program etc, but now I'm wondering if it includes changing courses also? If one did different courses from what was stated on the AMCAS course section, under future courses, do they need to be informed of this? I think not since the ADCOM have better things to worry about, but I'll like your views...

I'm gonna have to say that they probably don't put much (if any) weight on the coursework you are currently enrolled in, unless those are courses required for graduation or for admittance.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of you who already interviewed, how many weeks did you have to wait after your interview until you were notified of the committees decision?

For me, it was a bit shorter than 3 weeks. But I got the dreaded waitlist email, which I assume is pretty much instantaneous. I suppose it can take longer if they have to call you with good news. They don't bother at all if you got rejected. Just the snail mail note.

For those who have been accepted is anyone going for the second visit day?

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck all. :)

After seeing that a decision has been made on the banner web, how long did it take for people to hear something?

I only interviewed last week on 3/9, so I was just curious...

Thanks

After seeing that a decision has been made on the banner web, how long did it take for people to hear something?

I only interviewed last week on 3/9, so I was just curious...

Thanks

Has your page changed, jbru?? I interviewed the last week of February and nothing. Do you remember how often they said the committees meet to make decisions?

My interview congratulations was updated to "decision made", yesterday. About how long should I expect to wait for a decision?
Interviewed monday 2/22( not sure if this is relevant.)
PS I love this school-- keeping my fingers crossed.

Has your page changed, jbru?? I interviewed the last week of February and nothing. Do you remember how often they said the committees meet to make decisions?

Yes, my page changed yesterday to "status - decision made". My guess is that those of us that have not received our decisions yet will be hearing from the adcom next week.

My fingers are crossed, as I too loved this school and would love to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
two questions:

1) when you have "decision made" does that replaced the "congratulations, you've been invited for an interview" part?

2) how long does it usually take to actually receive your decision after you get the "decision made" status???

You should take a look at some of the older posts...these questions are answered several different ways by a couple of different people

I received my financial aid package today from upsate and I have to say im not very happy with the amount:(.....did anybody else receive it....please reply ....are there any seperate FinAid forms from upstate (that I must have missed) that need to be filled out...

oopss nevermind...just received a revised one!

Yeah I'm trying to look for a 2 BR apartment and a fellow first year.

FYI: They just increased the rent for Jefferson by a lot.

Keep in mind that Clark Tower gives you free cable (HBO included) and high speed internet, this adds up to a saving of about $75-100 a month. Plus there's computer labs and study areas throughout the dorm and many many other amenities (like being right next to the CAB/GYM). And many students are able to live in studio/regular apartments.

When are the decisions coming?! Interviewed on 3/10...

When are the decisions coming?! Interviewed on 3/10...

Good question... Haha. I interviewed on 3/10 also. Remember how they had an adcom meeting the day we were there? Maybe they'll be discussing us today and let us know today/tomorrow. My status page still hasn't changed since I was invited for the interview.

Good luck! :luck:

Mine hasn't changed, either. Interviewed 02/24...

So I emailed the admissions office and they said that I should be hearing back from them within 7-10 days. Keep in mind that I interviewed on 3/10, so those of you who interviewed earlier may hear back even sooner. Good luck homies :cool:

I received my financial aid package today from upsate and I have to say im not very happy with the amount:(.....did anybody else receive it....please reply ....are there any seperate FinAid forms from upstate (that I must have missed) that need to be filled out...

All loans too.

I probably will withdraw and go somewhere else. I'm kinda favoring Downstate right now, even though I got all loans there too.

I'm definitely not happy with mine..:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

I got 100% LOANS!!!

I got all loans too...is there anything else people would expect??? is everyone else's estimated cost ~44k? because I didn't think it was going to be that much considering tuition's only 22...

I got all loans too...is there anything else people would expect??? is everyone else's estimated cost ~44k? because I didn't think it was going to be that much considering tuition's only 22...

That's what they estimate but if you expect that you can live off less, then you could always apply for less. Or maybe they're wanting you to take a little extra out so that you can actually enjoy yourself or splurge a little if you don't mind. I think I might wanna rough it...

If you can waive health insurance and get it through family, that might help with 3K.

Food (per month) $433 Personal (per month) $182 Travel (per month) $185
Food is definitely too high. Personal is high unless you spend a lot on your social life.

I'm not sure about travel. If I you stuck living far from campus and need a car, $185 may not cover it? Does anyone who owns a car have a say about the cost? Plus I would need to factor in the expense of buying a used car too. :( This is a case for going to med school in a place with good public transit. I would save tons on travel.

If you can waive health insurance and get it through family, that might help with 3K.

Food (per month) $433 Personal (per month) $182 Travel (per month) $185
Food is definitely too high. Personal is high unless you spend a lot on your social life.

I'm not sure about travel. If I you stuck living far from campus and need a car, $185 may not cover it? Does anyone who owns a car have a say about the cost? Plus I would need to factor in the expense of buying a used car too. :( This is a case for going to med school in a place with good public transit. I would save tons on travel.

I don't think the savings from public transit really matters if the cost of living is 3 times as high. But even so... Clark, Madison and Jefferson towers are all walking distance from the school. I'm bringing my car, but I don't plan on driving it more than a few miles per week, to the grocery store or wherever.

I don't think the savings from public transit really matters if the cost of living is 3 times as high. But even so... Clark, Madison and Jefferson towers are all walking distance from the school. I'm bringing my car, but I don't plan on driving it more than a few miles per week, to the grocery store or wherever.

The cost of living isn't necessarily 3x as high. I can find a comparably priced apartment anywhere. The only factor is commute time.

Also, I had submitted a request for Madison towers, but they wanted $1000 non-refundable in March. I couldn't agree to that. By the time May 15th rolls around I bet they will be completely full.

Wow I did not realize that this is such an expensive school even for in-staters. At some private schools I would be paying half the amount. New York public education system...uggg

Wow I did not realize that this is such an expensive school even for in-staters. At some private schools I would be paying half the amount. New York public education system...uggg

$10,000 tuition to a private school? Please explain!!! Is there some catch or do you have some sort of special circumstance?

Maybe I applied to the wrong schools, or hopefully I will get a nice surprise when my fin-aid packets come in from the privates.

I sent my deposit to Jefferson-they said they have no more apartments left and are turning people away.

FYI: They just increased the rent for Jefferson by a lot.

Keep in mind that Clark Tower gives you free cable (HBO included) and high speed internet, this adds up to a saving of about $75-100 a month. Plus there's computer labs and study areas throughout the dorm and many many other amenities (like being right next to the CAB/GYM). And many students are able to live in studio/regular apartments.

I'd prefer not to be limited in my internets :) I also don't need to subscribe to cable. Overall, I think Clark would end up costing quite a bit more than getting another apartment.

Nothing over here. I was going to call but now I'm afraid:scared:. If the website is accurate, they may get annoyed that I don't just pay attention to that.

Wow, didn't you say you interviewed in the end of February?? I interviewed on 3/10 and they told us they wanted to have decisions out in 2-3 weeks but to call after 4 weeks. Now it's been a little over 4 weeks and I'm tempted to call... but I don't know if I really will. Did they say anything on your interview day about how long you should wait before calling?

Hopefully we get some good news soon!

I'm definitely not happy with mine..:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

I got 100% LOANS!!!

Me too, not really happy, even though I shouldn't have expected anything else. Anyone still not submit the health forms yet? I got an e-mail saying April 15 was the deadline? Totally forgot about them.

Wow, didn't you say you interviewed in the end of February?? I interviewed on 3/10 and they told us they wanted to have decisions out in 2-3 weeks but to call after 4 weeks. Now it's been a little over 4 weeks and I'm tempted to call... but I don't know if I really will. Did they say anything on your interview day about how long you should wait before calling?

If I can recall (it's been so long :() they told my group the same thing about a 3-week turnaround. I don't remember anything about being able to call. And if they're accurate with bannerweb, then I would venture to say there's no need to call because they haven't gotten around to me.

I did just send off an email, though. So we'll see what happens.

If I can recall (it's been so long :() they told my group the same thing about a 3-week turnaround. I don't remember anything about being able to call. And if they're accurate with bannerweb, then I would venture to say there's no need to call because they haven't gotten around to me.

I did just send off an email, though. So we'll see what happens.

Let me know what they say! Thanks!

Hey there... new to the forum, but I also interviewed 3/10... haven't heard anything back yet, and so far my bannerweb page still has the interview congratulations up (and from what I've read, this changes to "A decision has been made.. etc" eventually). I've called a couple times since my interview and it simply sounds like it's the end of the line and they're slightly behind schedule and we just haven't gone to committee yet.... However, they did explicitly say on our interview day that we should call if we haven't heard back after 4 weeks... which was this Wednesday.
Nervous as hell, of course... This is my top choice.

Anyone else from 3/10 (last) interview day hear anything different?

Next committee meeting is 14-April (next Wednesday) according to the admissions office, so if your file hasn't gone to committee yet, you definitely won't hear anything until at least then. Good luck everyone!

Withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully one of you guys gets it with the $1500 scholarship. Good luck!

Withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully one of you guys gets it with the $1500 scholarship. Good luck!

They give out scholarships? I wonder what the criteria for qualifying is?

I'd prefer not to be limited in my internets :) I also don't need to subscribe to cable. Overall, I think Clark would end up costing quite a bit more than getting another apartment.

I definitely want to look for off campus housing, I've been going through orangehousing.com and it wouldn't be too difficult to find a 2-3 BR. Anyone doing summer anatomy and not living in Jefferson or Clark??

To those who went to the second look, how was it?
I really wanted to go, but I couldn't make it.

I just got an one bedroom apartment in Madison (the high rise right next to Jefferson) last week so maybe they still have some spots open for people who are looking to live really close to school. The rent is comparable to Jeff and ALL utilities (minus cable/internet) are included!

Anyone receive an acceptance call since yesterday (4/14)? Or on that note, if they are even still offering acceptances?

I interviewed on the last interview day (3/10) and they had a committee meeting yesterday, which I heard was their last one. When I interviewed they said they were still offering acceptances, not strictly wait list, but since then who knows if they filled their seats before they got through all the applications.

Anyone receive an acceptance call since yesterday (4/14)? Or on that note, if they are even still offering acceptances?

I interviewed on the last interview day (3/10) and they had a committee meeting yesterday, which I heard was their last one. When I interviewed they said they were still offering acceptances, not strictly wait list, but since then who knows if they filled their seats before they got through all the applications.

Does your status page say "decision made"? Mine still doesn't... I was going to call today but I woke up late and I've been too busy... Living in CA makes it hard to check up on things over there. Haha. Hopefully they meant it when they said we could still be accepted as an initial decision. :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.