2009-2010 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:( It was probably asked before, just not in the mood going thru all the posts. Does anyone know what are the chances of getting accepted from HPA(high priority alternate list)??

I'm really upset today - got rejected in Commonwealth and waitlisted in SUNY Upstate. Don't have any acceptances yet. I'm loosing hope already :(:(:(

Sorry - just have noone to talk to.........................

Hey, I'm also wondering approximately what percent of HPA students are pulled off the list. Have you found out yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody who's committed to go here started to think about housing yet? I called Jefferson to see what the wait list was like for rooms. It was 25 applications long. I was thinking about submitting an application for a 2 BR apartment. I would need to find a roommate though...

I'm not too ecstatic about the idea of living in Clark because it's kind of pricey for what you get. But I would like to live in a location where there are plenty of other 1st years to meet.

Yeah I'm trying to look for a 2 BR apartment and a fellow first year.

Hey, I'm also wondering approximately what percent of HPA students are pulled off the list. Have you found out yet?

I'm on the list too. Calling them is of no help, they said it varies year by year and would not give me last year's numbers. I've seen the number 60% being tossed out there, but i'm not sure how true it is. In the past 8 years no one has made it off the regular wait list. Looking at other school's waitlists, the maximum deviation has been around plus/minus 30% in the past ten years. I don't know how true that is of upstate...but if it is true of upstate, the most optimistic number would be an average of 70% getting off the waitlist, with the number varying from 40% to 100% (thereby no one getting off the normal list). So 60% does sound reasonable.

The more relevant question is how are the events of today affecting people's decision of public vs private medical schools compared to previous years. One may say the easing of the recession will promote more kids to spend the extra money for private. Or one may say the uncertainty of doctor salaries under Obama's plans for reform may discourage kids from taking out big loans, along with the current credit crunch making loans harder to get. Enough time has passed to get an idea of what this year is like, but the AAMC will not release the needed data. If only they were a government agency subject to FOIL.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my online status says "Decision made", should I expect a call, email or snail mail package (hopefully a fat one)?

I'm on the list too. Calling them is of no help, they said it varies year by year and would not give me last year's numbers. I've seen the number 60% being tossed out there, but i'm not sure how true it is. In the past 8 years no one has made it off the regular wait list. Looking at other school's waitlists, the maximum deviation has been around plus/minus 30% in the past ten years. I don't know how true that is of upstate...but if it is true of upstate, the most optimistic number would be an average of 70% getting off the waitlist, with the number varying from 40% to 100% (thereby no one getting off the normal list). So 60% does sound reasonable.

The more relevant question is how are the events of today affecting people's decision of public vs private medical schools compared to previous years. One may say the easing of the recession will promote more kids to spend the extra money for private. Or one may say the uncertainty of doctor salaries under Obama's plans for reform may discourage kids from taking out big loans, along with the current credit crunch making loans harder to get. Enough time has passed to get an idea of what this year is like, but the AAMC will not release the needed data. If only they were a government agency subject to FOIL.

60% sounds pretty decent. Thanks for that. I wish they were more willing to share stats!

Hey I will be interviewing at Upstate on 3/9...I realize this is one of the late interviews for this admissions cycle...

Therefore, I was wondering if there are any current students or anyone that might know if students who interview late in the season are seen on somewhat equal footing with those who interviewed earlier...

I realize that one is at a disadvantage by interviewing late, but this is my top-choice school, so I am just hoping that I have a realistic shot of being admitted...

Thanks in advance and good luck to all...

Hey I will be interviewing at Upstate on 3/9...I realize this is one of the late interviews for this admissions cycle...

Therefore, I was wondering if there are any current students or anyone that might know if students who interview late in the season are seen on somewhat equal footing with those who interviewed earlier...

I realize that one is at a disadvantage by interviewing late, but this is my top-choice school, so I am just hoping that I have a realistic shot of being admitted...

Thanks in advance and good luck to all...

I spoke with a student who asked their professor on adcom - they said most of the spots have been filled for a while.

I spoke with a student who asked their professor on adcom - they said most of the spots have been filled for a while.

That is unfortunate...so essentially those of us interviewing in March are essentially interviewing for wait-list positions then?

Also, when you say most of the spots have been filled does that mean that those students who have been accepted have taken the offer and the next year's incoming class is just about filled, or just that the adcom have handed out the overwhelming majority of their acceptances before the multiple acceptance deadline in may?

Thanks...

Well yeah all the spots have been filled for a while. Schools generally over-accept because they know that students have options and they will have to give up spots. I guess the only way to confirm what Syracuse does is to call their admissions office.

Jbru, you're interviewing for one of three things: acceptance, waitlist (be it high priority or the regular waitlist), or a rejection. If you can wow them then you might be able to win an acceptance. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. And if someone can confirm that the rest of the interviewees are interviewing for waitlist spots then please provide us with the name and number of a person we can call and confirm this info. Good luck.

That's funny how you think the FB group means anything at all.

Just submitted my summer anatomy app! I was on the fence, but I took the plunge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-interview hold: Oct 6 2009
Snail Mail Rejection: Feb 24 2010

Best of luck to you all

Pre-interview hold: Oct 6 2009
Snail Mail Rejection: Feb 24 2010

Best of luck to you all

Zona I'm sorry about ur rejection, I really hope you get in at some of your waitlists!!! From your posts, I've seen that schools have yet to show you some love, but keep ur head up, it'll come. I remember you from our (April or May) '09 MCAT thread, so I hope u're successful this cycle. You're waitlisted at good schools, I hope that a couple of them come through for you. I'm rooting for you buddy!!!

:xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Zona I'm sorry about ur rejection, I really hope you get in at some of your waitlists!!! From your posts, I've seen that schools have yet to show you some love, but keep ur head up, it'll come. I remember you from our (April or May) '09 MCAT thread, so I hope u're successful this cycle. You're waitlisted at good schools, I hope that a couple of them come through for you. I'm rooting for you buddy!!!

Haha thanks for all the support Bernoull ! :)

Moments after I got the rejection letter, I checked Jefferson's status page and was happy to see an interview invitation. This compensated for any sad Upstate feelings :oops: Feeling a little more optimistic that I won't have to reapply. We'll see!

Hope the cycle has been treating you well (I'm assuming it has from your sig) ! :thumbup:

Haha thanks for all the support Bernoull ! :)

Moments after I got the rejection letter, I checked Jefferson's status page and was happy to see an interview invitation. This compensated for any sad Upstate feelings :oops: Feeling a little more optimistic that I won't have to reapply. We'll see!

Hope the cycle has been treating you well (I'm assuming it has from your sig) ! :thumbup:

Great news, one door shuts and another opens!! Just keep the positive attitude and optimism going, this way u don't get bent with what is an excruciating wait...

I look forward to the "I'm IN:soexcited::soexcited:!!!" post by Zona!!

:xf::xf:

So...idk if this has been discussed already?

But since my interview my status page hasn't changed at all.

In fact, it's still allowing me to schedule an interview.

Bad sign? Normal? I interviewed about a month ago...shouldn't this have changed by now? :confused: What's the average wait time?

So...idk if this has been discussed already?

But since my interview my status page hasn't changed at all.

In fact, it's still allowing me to schedule an interview.

Bad sign? Normal? I interviewed about a month ago...shouldn't this have changed by now? :confused: What's the average wait time?

The fact that the status hasn't changed means that the adcom hasn't met about your application yet. It means nothing.

It's also normal to be able to schedule an interview. Not sure why they don't fix that.

Thanks.

This waiting sucks.

Maybe all the snow has them backed up a little?

Who knows with these things....

For those of you that said Pre-Interview Hold = Rejection here, I'm very happy to say that you were clearly MIS-INFORMED.

I was placed on Pre-Interview Hold in September and recently received an Invite. =D

For those of you that said Pre-Interview Hold = Rejection here, I'm very happy to say that you were clearly MIS-INFORMED.

I was placed on Pre-Interview Hold in September and recently received an Invite. =D

Typically people who go on that list do not get off it. You're one of the exceptions obviously.

(oh, and congrats on the invite)

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm working question #1 of the interview essay questions and I was wondering if you guys numbered your four interests and wrote it out as 4 short paragraphs or incorporated all four interests into a full essay with an intro and conclusion. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm working question #1 of the interview essay questions and I was wondering if you guys numbered your four interests and wrote it out as 4 short paragraphs or incorporated all four interests into a full essay with an intro and conclusion. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I restated the question, listed my interest (without bullets), put a dash, then started writing. It was funny, though, because as I kept writing my interests were able to tie into each other. I had a lot of editing to do in that sense to keep them separate. But I did write them separately. If your interests flow together, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tie them in together. You've just got to make sure that they're easy to spot without saying, "My second interest is..."

Make it as easy as possible for the reader; they already have a ton of their own stuff to do.

I wrote mine as a unified essay with a thesis statement tying all four interests, then I focused on one interest for each paragraph and tied everything back up for conclusion..

concise all the way. i gave a short intro, "over the years my interests...etc etc" and listed them in a sentence, tied up the intro and did a short paragraph for each interest. i don't think i did a conclusion.

And there you have it. Making it lengthy can yield an acceptance, as can making it concise. Bottom line is rock your interviewer's world.

also - roughly how long were each of your essays? I'm looking at about a little less than 1 pg for each essay (single spaced)--actually my "mistake" essay will probably be shorter. soo...about 1.5 pages single spaced total. is that reasonable?

also - roughly how long were each of your essays? I'm looking at about a little less than 1 pg for each essay (single spaced)--actually my "mistake" essay will probably be shorter. soo...about 1.5 pages single spaced total. is that reasonable?

That was similar to my length.

I would recommend doing them separately. The main consideration, however, should be clarity. I imagine the reviewers and the AdCom will be less impressed with a convoluted yet well-written assay that takes more time to follow than with a simple straight one that gets the point across.

It's not a literary competition, it's an application assay. If you have to decide between form and persuasiveness, go for the latter always.

Just my thoughts... I'm yet to see whether this strategy can get me an acceptance here, but it seems the most sensible way to go.

Good luck! When's your interview, by the way?

I would recommend doing them separately. The main consideration, however, should be clarity. I imagine the reviewers and the AdCom will be less impressed with a convoluted yet well-written assay that takes more time to follow than with a simple straight one that gets the point across.

It's not a literary competition, it's an application assay. If you have to decide between form and persuasiveness, go for the latter always.

Just my thoughts... I'm yet to see whether this strategy can get me an acceptance here, but it seems the most sensible way to go.

Good luck! When's your interview, by the way?

I will be interviewing next week!

Rejected today via snail mail after being in pre-interview hold. Good luck all.

anybody else interviewing on 3/9...

Waitlist email received today. Interviewed in mid February, OOS.

This sucks

Waitlist email received today. Interviewed in mid February, OOS.

This sucks

same here. im in state tho. very impressed with their turnover rate btw, because i just interview last Wednesday and heard back from them today.

Did you guys get high priority or by committee? I'm on the latter. It's the crappy one.

same here. im in state tho. very impressed with their turnover rate btw, because i just interview last Wednesday and heard back from them today.

REALLY?!?!?! Because I was there last Wednesday interviewing as well. Did your status page change? I've been looking at mine like it's gonna tell me my fate. :laugh:

REALLY?!?!?! Because I was there last Wednesday interviewing as well. Did your status page change? I've been looking at mine like it's gonna tell me my fate. :laugh:

If your page hasn't changed it's meaningless.

Did you guys get high priority or by committee? I'm on the latter. It's the crappy one.

im on the high priority list. how active is this list anyways?

yup, says "decision made" on mine.

im on the high priority list. how active is this list anyways?

really active

Many people get in off it. I'm not sure if it happened in this year's thread, but in last year's thread some people were off the high priority list by December.

This is a question for those of you who have already interviewed...

Do we make a clinical campus selection while at the interview, or are we to do that after the interview?

Thanks...

This is a question for those of you who have already interviewed...

Do we make a clinical campus selection while at the interview, or are we to do that after the interview?

Thanks...

You have up to two weeks after your interview to choose your campus. You get for options: ONLY Syracue, ONLY Binghamton, PREFER Syracuse but will take Binghamton, PREFER Binghamton but will take Syracuse. You can leave your selection paper with the Admissions office, fax it, or mail it in.

jbru, you usually get 2 weeks to make your decision, but they asked us (in mid Feb) to make our decision before leaving our interview day. They said that the adcom would not discuss an applicant if they didn't have a clinical campus choice made yet. So the 2 weeks only applies if you interview earlier, as I understand it. I think it is in your best interest to submit your form before you leave your interview day, to expedite your file processing by the adcom...

Regarding the waitlist, I'm in the High Priority waitlist too. This is supposed to be the one that they draw acceptances from, but judging from last year's waitlist thread, not everyone will make it off of it, and it could be really late by the time they choose some (like July-August). So it is a good waitlist, but by no means any assurance of any kind...

Those of you waitlisted, join me and Newher in the 2009-2010 Suny Upstate waitlist thread! This way we can gather info and get some support. Last year's thread was really cool in that some people that were accepted late were able to get together and find housing, etc. It could be a good resource if you're in the waitlist!

Last edited:
Withdrawing from WL. Would not go here over Stony Brook :) I hope one of you moves up a notch!

funny.. i withdrew from SB for the reverse reason. different strokes.

Yeah, I guess we just put value on different factors. I want to be closer to NYC, primarily :)

Status
Not open for further replies.