2009 Complete AMCAS List of BCPM Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about "Plants, Agriculture, and Society" offered by the Department of Plant and Microbial Biology? Should I list this under BCPM?
I'd say that goes under Natural/Physical Sciences (Agriculture). The course is more important than the department that teaches is. But as was mentioned, you can always try your luck with borderline cases.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I'm not sure if this has been answered...where would Epidemiology fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
Might be a silly question but I was wondering if these classifications have any bearing on how the schools classify recommendation letters (ie I took a neuroscience course through the psych dept and will classify it as social science on AMCAS but would like to use it as one of my science LOR)?

Thanks for this list! I really didn't know what was considered bcpm. I'm sad that my Chemical Engineering classes don't count though--especially since I do take 2 Thermodynamics classes called "Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" with the label of CHEE instead of CHEM; and because of that it won't count. ..

Thanks for this list! I really didn't know what was considered bcpm. I'm sad that my Chemical Engineering classes don't count though--especially since I do take 2 Thermodynamics classes called "Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" with the label of CHEE instead of CHEM; and because of that it won't count.

Don't lose hope completely. If you feel that your course is more thermodynamics than engineering, then you can list it under BCPM. The worst that will happen is that AMCAS will move them back to non-BCPM. You don't have anything to lose. I think that it is safe to assume that the individual course takes precedence over the department under which it is taught.

i am a public health major...
could someone please help clarify if the following courses are bcpm or not:

1) Introduction to Epidemiology
2) Public Health Microbiology
3) Community Health and Human Development
4) Introduction of Probability and Statistics in Public Health

thanks

i am a public health major...
could someone please help clarify if the following courses are bcpm or not:

1) Introduction to Epidemiology
2) Public Health Microbiology
3) Community Health and Human Development
4) Introduction of Probability and Statistics in Public Health

thanks
It seems that all or most of these will fall under Health Sciences, which is not BCPM. You might be able to push the limits with #2 and #4, but you'd be better off contacting AMCAS to find out.

I got credit for a medical internship where the class was a semester of shadowing physicians...does this count as BCPM?

how do you go about contacting AMCAS to verify if these courses are bcpm or not?

I got credit for a medical internship where the class was a semester of shadowing physicians...does this count as BCPM?
If you didn't do research, I doubt it's BCPM.

how do you go about contacting AMCAS to verify if these courses are bcpm or not?
Contact info is easily available online:

Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N Street, NW
Washington, DC 20037-1123

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: 202-828-0600
Hours of Operation

Monday-Friday:
9 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET
Please note:
AMCAS representatives will be unavailable on Thursdays from 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. ET for staff meetings.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/contactus.htm

Call them or e-mail them. Once you do, I would appreciate if you come back here and report your findings so that others can be helped as well.

Contact info is easily available online:

Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N Street, NW
Washington, DC 20037-1123

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: 202-828-0600
Hours of Operation

Monday-Friday:
9 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET
Please note:
AMCAS representatives will be unavailable on Thursdays from 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. ET for staff meetings.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/contactus.htm

Call them or e-mail them. Once you do, I would appreciate if you come back here and report your findings so that others can be helped as well.

I talked to them, and they can't classify the courses for you. They said to just use your best judgment, and if AAMC disagrees with the categories you choose they'll change it after you submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to them, and they can't classify the courses for you. They said to just use your best judgment, and if AAMC disagrees with the categories you choose they'll change it after you submit.
Which is exactly what is recommended in this thread and others like it. If you think something is borderline, go ahead and add it as BCPM. You have nothing to lose. I think some people want to know for sure and in advance for their peace of mind. If you are planning to raise your BCPM, just stay away from those borderline cases and take regular science courses. Very doable.

wow, so my analytical chemistry class won't count?! that's good because i got a decent lab grade but a pretty terrible lecture grade :oops:

wow, so my analytical chemistry class won't count?! that's good because i got a decent lab grade but a pretty terrible lecture grade :oops:

what ab biomechanics and lifespan physiology? would those be counted in the bcpm?

I'm counting my biosolid mech and biofluid mech towards BCMP GPA. They're offered through engineering, but they had so much anatomy and physiology in it.

I took a lot of psych courses that could count for either psych or bio. they were all a mix of bio/more abstract psych stuff (probably about 40/60)

biological foundations of behavior
psychology of pain
biological psychology
evolution in primate societies

I put them all down as BESS mainly because I didn't think they were really hard-core science courses and they're registered as psych courses (and not-cross registered in the biology department). should they be bio?

I took a lot of psych courses that could count for either psych or bio. they were all a mix of bio/more abstract psych stuff (probably about 40/60)

biological foundations of behavior
psychology of pain
biological psychology
evolution in primate societies

I put them all down as BESS mainly because I didn't think they were really hard-core science courses and they're registered as psych courses (and not-cross registered in the biology department). should they be bio?

If you think their content qualifies them more as biology than psychology, then go ahead. Be prepared to submit the content on your Academic Change Request in case AMCAS removes them.

how about medical terminology? (it's listed as latin at my school)

I have course credit for being a teaching assistant for a nutrition course. Is that health sciences or education? The course code is under nutrition.

It shouldn't matter what department offers the class...it matters what material was actually taught in the class...

some people have had psych class count b/c they had a lot of neuroscience in them...it's not a hard and fast rule that only course offered in biology chemistry, physics and math count...you need to look at the description and content.

On that note...I was wondering if anyone knew what one of my classes would be considered (similar to the anthropology anatomy question) but I took a class offered by my psychology department (PSYCH 260) but the class itself is called biological basis of human behavior. It was pretty much all neuroscience / physiology

On that note...I was wondering if anyone knew what one of my classes would be considered (similar to the anthropology anatomy question) but I took a class offered by my psychology department (PSYCH 260) but the class itself is called biological basis of human behavior. It was pretty much all neuroscience / physiology

Just classify it as biology (if it's to your advantage)

I think "biological basis" in the course title is enough to sway it that way. I mean, people probably read tons of transcripts and apps. They're not going to spend too much time debating the psychology and biology of your course. Just put it through as bio :)

I have course credit for being a teaching assistant for a nutrition course. Is that health sciences or education? The course code is under nutrition.

you could pick whichever you want. is it gonna help your bcpm?

Wow thanks for the quick reply, but I actually went back to make sure I had the name right...and its actually neurological basis of human behavior (which is why I was confused) but it was all neurobiology / physiology.

Okay guys two questions:

One is regarding medical terminology. Its listed as Bio 101 in my school so it counts right.

Also is it a misprint or does O. Chem not count in science GPA?

Okay guys two questions:

One is regarding medical terminology. Its listed as Bio 101 in my school so it counts right.

Also is it a misprint or does O. Chem not count in science GPA?
Ochem is BCPM. Where did you see it listed as non-BCPM? Because in this thread it is listed as BCPM and Sci (for DO)...

Again, medical terminology was already brought up. I guess you could slip it in if the title only says bio 101. But if it says Terminology or if they check the contents, I doubt that will be BCPM. Up to you.

What about a "Seminar in Biology" class. All Freshmen biology majors at my school had to take this and it is listed with a BIO prefix. It was more about introducing us to the world of Biology than a hardcore book class, but we still had to have some knowledge of the subject.

what would web page design class be considered for DO schools?

Last edited:
this might be a stupid question, but would "modern physics" count towards the BCPM for MD schools?

What about a "Seminar in Biology" class. All Freshmen biology majors at my school had to take this and it is listed with a BIO prefix. It was more about introducing us to the world of Biology than a hardcore book class, but we still had to have some knowledge of the subject.
Just try it to see if it works.

Yeah, I don't think BCPM is as cut and dry as which department the course is through. My college's pre-health department had a list of courses which were BCPM pre-approved. The criteria was if the course was >50% biology, chemistry, etc.

The list had ~15 anthropolgy courses, ~10 psych courses, and a handful of environmental science and other subject courses. I would assume that most universities with pre-health departments would have something like this.

Argh. I'm an Environmental Toxicology major. Looks like some of my classes can count for my BCPM, but for the most part, I'm in between because of the whole environmental science/public health subject. I hate not knowing for sure. :\

and thank you so much for posting this thread- it's VERY helpful!

Hi guys, would something called eukaryotic cell biology count?

Also I'm guessing that my anat/phys. class under the school of nursing will not... can anybody verify either thing? Thanks!

I have a few questions....

Endocrinology (ANSC 702/BCHM 802). Would this be under biochem for MD Schools?

Animaly Phsyiology (ZOOL 529) Would this be counted as physiology even though it is classified as "zoology"?

Evolution (ZOOL 690)

EMT class (kinesiology KIN 502 or something like that)

anyone know where they fall for MD and DO bcpm list?

Aviation Chemical Science (CHM)
Aviation Physiology (BIO)
Aviation Physical Science (PHY)
Aerodynamics (PHY)

All through aviation department... so it has nothing to do w/ the department doing the class.

This list has been very helpful. Thank you!

There are a handful of Bioe courses I'm unsure qualify as BCPM courses. May I ask what your judgement is for the following?

1. Stem Cell and Technology
2. Biological Transport Phenomena
3. Biomechanics
4. BioMEMS & Nanotechnology (Lec + Lab)
5. Research that counted as units (worked with culturing and trapping breast cancer cells in a designed microfluidic device... we did study the cells but it was also a lot of engineering in optimizing the device design)

These classes would totally help boost my BCPM. Hoping they qualify! Thanks again!

This list has been very helpful. Thank you!

There are a handful of Bioe courses I'm unsure qualify as BCPM courses. May I ask what your judgement is for the following?

1. Stem Cell and Technology
2. Biological Transport Phenomena
3. Biomechanics
4. BioMEMS & Nanotechnology (Lec + Lab)
5. Research that counted as units (worked with culturing and trapping breast cancer cells in a designed microfluidic device... we did study the cells but it was also a lot of engineering in optimizing the device design)

These classes would totally help boost my BCPM. Hoping they qualify! Thanks again!

My friend took courses in the BIOE department such as "Biomedical Instrumentation", as well as biophysics courses such as "Neuromorphic engineering" and put them all down as biology classes and AMCAS applied them to his biology gpa. Might as well give it a shot, worse case they just put them as engineering, best case you will have a bunch of classes helping your gpa

Thanks for your input! =) I'll include these bioe classes and let you all know if it's accepted.

Just checking:

Do you think Mammalian Evolution would count? And Biological Anthropology? They're both in my school's biology department...not to mention taught by medical school faculty.

Guys, don't make too big of a deal out of this. If you have a good grade that would raise you BCPM and cannot determine easily whether it is or is not BCPM according to AMCAS guidelines, then put it down as BCPM. You have nothing to lose and a high BCPM to gain. Some of these questions are too ambiguous for anyone to know the answer - only the administration can evaluate your individual case. So let them do their job. I have even seen cases where I would have said something is not BCPM, but it still was counted as such. Why? Because people who make these rules are just people. They make mistakes and things can slip through. In addition, I am not so sure that all the reviewers have the same standards of BCPM classification. As such, as long as your course is RELATED to one of the BCPM categories, just put it down. Bio is obviously in there, whether it is organismic, animalistic, or orgasmic.:eyebrow:

so should you either go by the letter of the law (department) OR get all free with your content decides and they can change it argument?
if thermodynamics is not in the CHEM department should it count? even if it wasn't biologically or chemicalreaction based at all (straight engineering)? if that counts then shouldn't a biotechnology course even if it's in BME?

.There are a lot of questions on SDN about BCPM. Below is all the information you will need to distinguish BCPM from non-BCPM. The list is from AMCAS 2009 manual. You can find the full manual for MD schools here: AMCAS 2009. ..The requirements for DO schools are listed as well..

.I. This first list below applies only to MD schools. Some of the courses that many students are confused about are italicized:.

.Biology (BIOL) - BCPM.

.1...Anatomy.
.2...Biology.
.3...Biophysics.
.4...Biotechnology.
.5...Botany.
.6...Cell Biology.
.7...Ecology.
.8...Entomology.
.9...Genetics.
.10...Histology.
.11...Immunology.
.12...Microbiology.
.13...Molecular Biology.
.14...Neuroscience.
.15...Physiology.

.Chemistry (CHEM) - BCPM.
.1...Biochemistry.
.2...Chemistry.
.3...Physical Chemistry.
.4...Thermodynamics.

.Math (MATH) - BCPM.
.1...Applied Mathematics.
.2...Mathematics.
.3...Statistics.

.Physics (PHYS) - BCPM.
.1...Astronomy.
.2...Physics.

.Everything else below is NON-BCPM..

.Behavioral & Social Sciences (BESS).
.1...Anthropology.
.2...Economics.
.3...Family Studies.
.4...Psychology.
.5...Sociology.

.Computer Science/Technology (COMP).
.1...Computer Science.
.2...Computer Engineering.
.3...Information Systems.
.4...Telecommunications.

.Engineering (ENGI).
.1...Aerospace Engineering.
.2...Biomedical Engineering.
.3...Chemical Engineering.
.4...Civil Engineering.
.5...Electrical Engineering.
.6...Engineering.
.7...Environmental Engineering.
.8...Mechanical Engineering.
.9...Nuclear Engineering.

.Health Sciences (HEAL).
.1...Allied Health.
.2...Chiropractic.
.3...Dentistry.
.4...Hearing & Speech Sciences.
.5...Hospital Administration.
.6...Kinesiology.
.7...Medical Technology.
.8...Medicine.
.9...Nursing.
.10...Nutrition & Food Sciences.
.11...Occupational Therapy.
.12...Optometry.
.13...Osteopathy.
.14...Physical Therapy.
.15...Physician Assistant.
.16...Public Health.
.17...Pharmacology & Pharmacy.
.18...Sports Medicine.
.19...Veterinary Medicine.

.Natural/Physical Sciences (NPSC).
.1...Agriculture.
.2...Animal and Avian Sciences.
.3...Forestry.
.4...Geography.
.5...Geology.
.6...Horticulture.
.7...Landscape Architecture.
.8...Meteorology.
.9...Natural Resources.
.10...Oceanography.
.11...Environmental Science & Policy.

.Business (BUSI).
.1...Accounting.
.2...Business.
.3...Finance.
.4...Human Resource Studies.
.5...Management.
.6...Organizational Studies.
.7...Marketing.

.Communications (COMM).
.1...Journalism.
.2...Media Production & Studies.
.3...TV, Video, & Audio.

.Education (EDUC).
.1...Counseling & Personnel Services.
.2...Curriculum & Instruction.
.3...Educational Policy.
.4...Educational Administration.
.5...Health Education.
.6...Human Development.
.7...Physical Education (except for sports courses such as tennis,.
.8...golf, aerobics, etc. Use Other for these types of courses.).
.9...Special Education.

.English Language & Literature (ENGL).
.1...English Composition & Rhetoric.
.2...English Creative Writing.
.3...English Language & Literature.

.Fine Arts (ARTS).
.1...Art.
.2...Art History.
.3...Dance.
.4...Fine Arts.
.5...Music.
.6...Photography.
.7...Theatre.

.History (HIST).
.1...History.

.Foreign Languages/Linguistics/Lit. (FLAN).
.1...American Sign Language.
.2...Comparative Literature.
.3...Linguistics.
.4...Foreign Language(s) & Literature.

.Government/Political Sci/Law (GOVT).
.1...Criminology & Criminal Justice.
.2...Government.
.3...International Relations & Studies.
.4...Law/Legal Studies.
.5...Political Science.
.6...Public Affairs & Policy.
.7...Urban Policy & Planning.

.Philosophy/Religion (PHIL).
.1...Ethics.
.2...Logic.
.3...Philosophy.
.4...Religion.
.5...Theology.

.Special Studies (SSTU).
.1...Afro-American Studies.
.2...American Studies.
3..Gender Studies.

.Other (OTHR).
.All courses which do not fit appropriately into another category,.
.including:.
.1...Architecture.
.2...Interdisciplinary courses.
.3...Library Science.
.4...Military Science.
.5...Sports (tennis, golf, aerobics, etc.).

.____________________________________________________________________________________________.

.II. DO schools have very different "BCPM" requirements from MD schools and the name is simply scienceGPA (sciGPA), rather than BCPM. Refer to this thread for more information. Here is a the complete DO list, with some of the major differences from MD schools italicized:.

.Bio/Zoology - sciGPA.

1. .Animal Science.
  2. .Anatomy.
  3. .Bacteriology.
  4. .Biology.
  5. .Botany.
  6. .Cellular & Molecular Biology.
  7. .Cellular Physiology.
  8. .Ecology.
  9. .Evolution.
  10. .Genetics.
  11. .Hematology.
  12. .Histology.
  13. .Immunology.
  14. .Microbiology.
  15. .Micro-Organisms.
  16. .Natural Science.
  17. .Neurology.
  18. .Oceanography.
  19. .Parasitology.
  20. .Pathology.
  21. .Physiology.
  22. .Virology.
  23. .Zoology.
.Biochemistry - ..sciGPA.

1. .Biochemistry.
  2. .Physiological Chemistry.
.Inorganic Chemistry.. - ..sciGPA.
  1. .Chemistry, General.
  2. .Medical Chemistry.
  3. .Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
  4. .Physical Chemistry.
  5. .Qualitative Analysis.
  6. .Quantitative Analysis.
  7. .Readings in Chemistry.
  8. .Research in Chemistry.
  9. .Special Topics in Chemistry.
  10. .Structures & Bonds.
.Organic Chemistry.. - ..sciGPA.
  1. .Bio-Organic Chemistry.
  2. .Organic Chemistry.
  3. .Readings in Organic Chemistry.
  4. .Special Topics in Organic Chemistry.
.Other Science.. - ..sciGPA.
  1. .Agricultural Science.
  2. .Astronomy.
  3. .Chiropractic.
  4. .Electronics.
  5. .Engineering.
  6. .Epidemiology.
  7. .Geology.
  8. .Kinesiology.
  9. .Medical Technology.
  10. .Meteorology.
  11. .Nutrition.
  12. .Pharmacy.
  13. .Physical Anthropology.
  14. .Physical Geography.
  15. .Physical Science.
  16. .Physician Assistant.
  17. .Radiology.
.Physics.. - ..sciGPA.
  1. .Electricity & Light.
  2. .Magnetism.
  3. .Mechanical Heat.
  4. .Physics.
  5. .Thermodynamics.
.Everything else below is NON-SCIENCE.., yes, even math. .

.Behavioral Science.

1. .Anthropology.
  2. .Community Health.
  3. .Criminal Justice.
  4. .Educational Psychology.
  5. .Ethnic Studies.
  6. .Human Sexuality.
  7. .Marriage/Family.
  8. .Personal Health.
  9. .Physiological Ethics.
  10. .Psychology.
  11. .Social Science.
  12. .Social Work/Sociology.
.English.

1. .Bible Literature.
  2. .Composition.
  3. .English.
  4. .Journalism.
  5. .Literature.
  6. .Poetry.
  7. .Reading Skills.
  8. .Rhetoric.
  9. .Theater Literature.
.Math.

1. .Behavioral Statistics.
  2. .Biostatistics.
  3. .Chemical Math.
  4. .Computer Science.
  5. .Mathematics.
.Other Non-Science.

1. .Acting.
  2. .Agriculture.
  3. .Archeology.
  4. .Art.
  5. .Bioethics.
  6. .Business.
  7. .Communications.
  8. .Cultural Geography.
  9. .Economics.
  10. .Education.
  11. .Emergency Med-Tech.
  12. .Ethics.
  13. .First Aid.
  14. .Foreign Language.
  15. .Forestry.
  16. .Geography.
  17. .Government.
  18. .Health/Personal Hygiene.
  19. .History.
  20. .Humanities.
  21. .Law.
  22. .Logic.
  23. .Medical Terminology.
  24. .Military Science.
  25. .Music.
  26. .Nursing.
  27. .Occupational Therapy.
  28. .Philosophy.
  29. .Physical Education.
  30. .Physical Therapy.
  31. .Political Science.
  32. .Public Health.
  33. .Public Speaking.
  34. .Religion.
  35. .Respiratory Therapy.
  36. .Social Ethics.
  37. .Speech.
  38. .Speech Pathology.
  39. .Teaching Science.
  40. .Theater.
  41. .Theology.
  42. .Word Processing.

Thank you, this clears it up a bit. One last question: Can graduate level science courses be included into the BCPM calculation, or is it strictly undergrad?

Thank you, this clears it up a bit. One last question: Can graduate level science courses be included into the BCPM calculation, or is it strictly undergrad?

bump... I would like to know the answer to the above question.

For example, could I replace my undergrad physiology grade with my graduate physiology grade?

bump... I would like to know the answer to the above question.

For example, could I replace my undergrad physiology grade with my graduate physiology grade?
I am not aware of any restrictions on graduate coursework, so yes, it would be included in BCPM. Some undergrad institutions have graduate coursework as part of major requirements.

As far as replacing goes, you can never replace any grades for MD schools. That only applied to DO schools. BCPM is irrelevant here. The two grades will simply be averaged.