You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009 Complete AMCAS List of BCPM Courses
Started by Excelsius
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If you are planning to raise your BCPM, just stay away from those borderline cases and take regular science courses. Very doable.
exactly. as a neuro major I had the opportunity to take classes under neuro, psych, or physci but I avoided those under psych (unless cross-listed in one of the other 2) just so I would not have to worry about it not counting
Just hope for people with "non-BCMP" classes. I was a dual animal science and biotechnology major. Last year when I submitted, almost all of my animal science classes were knocked to non-science classes... which really sucked because alot of them dealt with anatomy/physiology/etc. Thus my sGPA took a major hit. This year, sadly I am a reapplicant, I again put them all in as BCMP classes... and YAY! they were approved as such.. I didn't even have to argue about it... I think part of the process is just the luck of the draw, i.e. whoever is verifying your transcripts and how much they do or do not care. I was super happy.. but yeah.. my sGPA last year was 3.65 this year is a 3.73. So almost a 0.1 increase.. so yeah if you think its biology.. submit it as such and hope you get the verifier who is just trying to get through their applications.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I be listing a 'cognitive neuroscience' and a 'physiological psychology' class as biology? Technically, neuroscience fits the bill - does the 'cognitive' part exclude it. I'm not sure why I lumped in the one with the obvious 'psych' in the name - thought I'd ask and give it a shot though.
i have to take statistics in psychology...would this count even though its under the psych prefix?
also, would a class in nutrition, under a BIO prefix count?
also, would a class in nutrition, under a BIO prefix count?
Any suggestion on how classes such as Pathophysiology (offered from the Biomedical Science dept) and Biomedical Ethics (offered from the Biology Dept "BIO346") will count? What about a class titled Cancer Genetics (BIO 423)?
Thanks for any feedback...
Any classes under the Bio Sci dept should count as BCPM
Hello everyone.
I am thinking of taking a class called Industrial Biotechnology and the Environment. It is a senior level science course, but it is under the department of Bioproducts & Biosystem Engineering.
Would that be considered a BCPM course?
I am thinking of taking a class called Industrial Biotechnology and the Environment. It is a senior level science course, but it is under the department of Bioproducts & Biosystem Engineering.
Would that be considered a BCPM course?
Last edited:
Bump.
I was wondering if College Algebra would be calculated with my science GPA? I got a C in it years ago, so I hope not. Going to take stats.
Both college algebra and stats will count toward your BCPM GPA for AMCAS (sorry, you won't be able to get out of it) but they won't count for your sGPA for AACOMASI was wondering if College Algebra would be calculated with my science GPA? I got a C in it years ago, so I hope not. Going to take stats.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will NBB classes (Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology) count as science gpa? They aren't purely "neuroscience"
So, do courses like geology and engineering get calculated into the science GPA, or is there another GPA called other science that it gets factored into?
"BIOC 296. Nutritional Biochemistry is a comprehensive study of the metabolismWhat is the official college course description
of the macro-nutrients by humans with emphasis on hormonal
control of biochemical pathways, nutritional and metabolic
interrelationships and dietary disorders. The biochemistry of the
micronutrients and vitamins will also be studied. Prerequisite: BIOC
205 or PBIO 185."
Which reminds me to ask. We also had to take a survey of biochemistry course as well with the lab but the course was in the plant biology department. Would this be BPCM as well?
"PBIO 185. Survey of Biochemistry. 3 Credits.
Broad coverage of biochemical topics suitable for students in the
applied health sciences. Prerequisite: CHEM 042 or CHEM 142.
Cross-listed with: PBIO 185.
PBIO 187. Survey of Biochemistry: Lab. 1 Credit.
Introduction to techniques and equipment used for the isolation
and quantitative analysis of amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates and
DNA enzymes in biological materials. Prerequisite: CHEM 042 or
CHEM 142. Cross-listed with: PBIO 187."
"BIOC 296. Nutritional Biochemistry is a comprehensive study of the metabolism
of the macro-nutrients by humans with emphasis on hormonal
control of biochemical pathways, nutritional and metabolic
interrelationships and dietary disorders. The biochemistry of the
micronutrients and vitamins will also be studied. Prerequisite: BIOC
205 or PBIO 185."
Which reminds me to ask. We also had to take a survey of biochemistry course as well with the lab but the course was in the plant biology department. Would this be BPCM as well?
"PBIO 185. Survey of Biochemistry. 3 Credits.
Broad coverage of biochemical topics suitable for students in the
applied health sciences. Prerequisite: CHEM 042 or CHEM 142.
Cross-listed with: PBIO 185.
PBIO 187. Survey of Biochemistry: Lab. 1 Credit.
Introduction to techniques and equipment used for the isolation
and quantitative analysis of amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates and
DNA enzymes in biological materials. Prerequisite: CHEM 042 or
CHEM 142. Cross-listed with: PBIO 187."
This is BCPM
My rule of thumb is to list everything remotely science as BCPM and let AMCAS decide for me. I ran into no issues
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 754