2009 mcat real deal vs. Aamc practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2009 MCAT TEST TAKERS

Since this thread contains data that's a year old, I'd like to see how things correlate b/w recent MCAT and the practice. This should help people taking the MCAT in 2010 or late in 2009.

Please vote if you've taken the practice AAMC exams AND the real MCAT in any 2009 test date.

(I feel like we should collect data of test takers who took the exams over 2-3 months to better represent the data/trends. For example, have one poll for 2009 Janruary- March, Apr-June, Aug-Sept. But I guess this is a good start)

Members don't see this ad.

well, i never ever in my wildest dreams imagined that i would be on the worst possible part of the bell curve, but there you have it.

AAMC average: 37 (range 35-40 on AAMC 3-10)
PS: 13 VR: 12 BS: 12

Actual MCAT: 32 (WTF?)
PS: 12 VR: 9 BS: 11

I want to shoot myself in the face. I was planning on applying to MD/PhD, but now that dream is over, my advisor suggests I "re-evaluate" my objectives.

Not sure what happened- I felt extremely prepared going into the exam. I felt horrible about the PS after the exam, but fairly confident that I did well on VR and BS. What a joke. FML.

That's a crappy situation, but at least you know this was a fluke! If you decide to retake it, at least you'll have the luxury that most others don't -- knowing you are absolutely capable of getting a 37.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
In order of taking it

24 - AAMC 3
27 - AAMC 4
30 - AAMC 5
32 - AAMC 6
25 - AAMC 7
29 - AAMC 8
30 - AAMC 9
29 - AAMC 10

AVG : 28

On the real deal

31 P

Reactions: 1 user
35 - AAMC 3
34 - AAMC 4
33 - AAMC 7
32 - AAMC 5
41 - AAMC 6
37 - AAMC 8
36 - AAMC 10
37 - AAMC 9

Average: ~35.6

Actual: 37R (13, 11, 13)

I was averaged 31-32 on my AAMC exams and ended up with a 34 on test day. I felt the actual exam was very similar to the real exam.

AAMC average - 36.3

08/25/09 Test - 35S; My distribution was very consistent with what I've been getting on the tests as well.

Average AAMC: 30. Latest AAMC: 31. Real deal: 34.
I thought I had totally flubbed VR, completely lost track of time. Felt like a 9, got a 12. Bio felt like 11, got 11. PS felt pretty good about, got 11. Just glad they're balanced.

My Kaplan thing expired so I can't give an exact comparison with my AAMC but, if I remember correctly, my average total would have been something like a 35-36 with a PS score usually 13-14, a bio score 12-13, and a VR scores that probably averaged out to be about 9(ranging from 7-11 on AAMC if I remember correctly).

On the Sep 6th MCAT my scores were PS:12 BS:11 and VR:11.

The low BS and PS and high VR scores are honestly not all that surprising as the exam I took was way way harder in BS and PS sections than any of the AAMC tests while the VR was way easier(even in spite of test anxiety I wasn't too nervous here). I came out of that exam kicking myself for not buying the harder Princeton review exams since they would probably have represented the MCAT I took better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to be posting here in the 0-1 difference in either direction. Glad to be done with it.

what year is aamc 10? and will there be an AAMC 11 coming soon for 2010 mcat students?

Most of the AAMC practice tests reflected my actual score fairly well, but there were like three AAMC practice tests where I scored way above my actual (by like 4-5 pts more)

Average = 34
Real deal = 33 S

Pretty much in line with my practice tests. I wish I had been on the other side of one point though haha.

Average - 13 PS 10 VR 12.5 BS - 35.5
Real Deal - 14 PS 10 VR 15 BS - 39

I actually found my Kaplan test avg was much closer (it was 38)

AAMC tests 33-38

Actual 36
The thing that was keeping me from the 40 range was my verbal.

After the test I felt like I did what I normally did on my practice tests.

No Prep Course . I doubt it would have helped me.

Last edited:
AAMC 7-10/Kaplan 1-3 avg: 33
MCAT: 28

AAMC 3-6/TBR avg: 34
MCAT: 35

so i'll average the two differences for this poll??

Just average all your practice AAMC exams and compare to your most recent one.

AAMC Average - 40
Real Deal - 40

Funny how things end up working out, but my exam felt fairly similar overall to the AAMCs with just a few more conceptually demanding questions in the sciences, which has not necessarily been people's experience

Last edited:
This thread has got to be the most help thread for me since I took the exam 3 days ago. I'm going insane thinking that I'd bombed it, but your experiences have helped me relax and believe that I scored between my AAMCs (33-39). thanks guys.

This guy gives me hope (especially bolded):

AAMC Average: 40.25
Real: 42

The real exam felt much harder, and I didn't feel nearly as good coming out of it

This guy makes me wanna cry:

well, i never ever in my wildest dreams imagined that i would be on the worst possible part of the bell curve, but there you have it.

AAMC average: 37 (range 35-40 on AAMC 3-10)
PS: 13 VR: 12 BS: 12

Actual MCAT: 32 (WTF?)
PS: 12 VR: 9 BS: 11

I want to shoot myself in the face. I was planning on applying to MD/PhD, but now that dream is over, my advisor suggests I "re-evaluate" my objectives.

Not sure what happened- I felt extremely prepared going into the exam. I felt horrible about the PS after the exam, but fairly confident that I did well on VR and BS. What a joke. FML.