2009 Pathology Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm trying to get 4 letters, but i'd still feel confident if i had only 3.

so, i am beginning to fall back in love with Arizona, more and more. its always felt like a second home to me, and now that my family all lives there it is - hopefully - my new home. or at least the closest thing i have at this point in time. i've been looking at property in both phoenix and tucson and damn, i could live well on a resident's salary . . .

and its just a beautiful place anyway, and so much to do.

so if anyone at U of A or St Jo's can hear me . . . pic me! pic me!

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, this is an AP only program. Anyone has any insights about the program? It seems a good choice for acedemia-oriented applicants.

Just curious, this is an AP only program. Anyone has any insights about the program? It seems a good choice for acedemia-oriented applicants.

all i can tell you is that you have to apply independently from ERAS. but i agree, it would seem like a good fit for someone with a research/academia orientation

Members don't see this ad :)
Arctic chair- can you pleeeaaassse change your avatar- we have a long road ahead of us this application season and I don't know if I can handle looking at that kid biting a fish- it is freakin me out!:scared:

Anyway I was wondering the same thing about the NIH program- sounds a bit limiting. Amazing research opportunities though.

Arctic chair- can you pleeeaaassse change your avatar- we have a long road ahead of us this application season and I don't know if I can handle looking at that kid biting a fish- it is freakin me out!:scared:

Anyway I was wondering the same thing about the NIH program- sounds a bit limiting. Amazing research opportunities though.

I like that avatar. It's a nice allegory for man's domination over nature. :p

my my my . . . i have to admit, i like my avatar. but i'll tell you what: i'll look around and see if i can find another one that is suitable for all tastes. no promises though, thats how we did it in Alaska . . .

napoleon has it right to some degree . . .

;) TBC

Add me on. Applying to 30 programs including

Columbia
Hopkins
UMDNJ
Robert Wood Johnson
St Barnabas
Yale
U Penn
Einstein
St Lukes
Lennox Hill
U Maryland
george Washington
Brown
Danbury Hospital

and many more I can't remember off the top of my head

Hopefully my own school (columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons) will show me some love :)

adding you to the list . . .

Arctic Char - MS4, MSIH (The Medical School for International Health)
Napoleon1801 - MS3, U. of Oklahoma
KWiz79 - MS3/PhD, U. of Missouri
dingozlife - Med student
Pronkzilla - MS3, UT-Southwestern
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
Ekard81 - MS3 in St.Louis
typicaltuesday - MS3 in Chicago
dmurali - MS3
leu345 - IMG
Alteran - MS3
BiopsyThis - MS3/PhD (virology), Northwestern
ssj3tom - MS3, Ph.D. (cell biology), LECOM
dmurali - MS3 (?)
billyvnilly - MS6 (combo ba/md) university missouri - kansas city
Pianoboe01 - MS4, Indiana
ggddizzy - MS4, Chicago
vinnyboy - mdphd fellow, utsw
insertnamehere, MS4 (i assume), Columbia P&S

Hi, I am new here, I just wanted to add myself to the list, I am applying to Pathology this year, I have done 2 years of Internal Medicine, only to find out that I want to do Pathology, oh well, better soon than never!
I am applying to 42 programs, as you can see I want to enter no matter what this year!!! :D:D
dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
dmurali - MS3
leu345 - IMG
Alteran - MS3
dmurali - MS3 (?)
ggddizzy - MS4, Chicago
vickypath, PGY-2 in IM, switching to Path, IMG

So I am on a part time rotation so I have loads of time to check eras and see who has uploaded my app every five minutes!!! Having too much time on my hands is definantly a problem. I know it is early for interviews, but looking back at last years thread, it seems nice to know when places start to offer spots. Looked like offers started about the middle of september. If anyone gets one, please post.....

I totally understand what you mean, I am going to die if I track my application one more time LOL !!

Hi...I'm adding myself to the list. Applying to ~15 programs all over the country.

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
dmurali - MS3
leu345 - IMG
Alteran - MS3
dmurali - MS3 (?)
ggddizzy - MS4, Chicago
Sushikitty - MS4

wow, i'm pretty pumped seeing who has already downloaded my app! i don't know what it means per se, but its exciting!!

i must be naive;)

Members don't see this ad :)
How are programs going to contact you? Anyone know?

How are programs going to contact you? Anyone know?

As in to offer you an interview? Almost all will send an E-mail through the ERAS system (which then goes to your E-mail) or to your E-mail directly. Occasionally they will call the phone number listed on your application. I sometimes got real mail letters, but usually that was in conjunction with an E-mail.

Hi, I am new here. Just to add myself and hopefully chip in my two cents.

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
dmurali - MS3
leu345 - IMG
Alteran - MS3
dmurali - MS3 (?)
ggddizzy - MS4, Chicago
Sushikitty - MS4
YeeYah - MS 4 (U. of Colorado)

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS4, FMG
dmurali - MS3
leu345 - IMG
Alteran - MS3
dmurali - MS3 (?)
ggddizzy - MS4, Chicago
Sushikitty - MS4
YeeYah - MS 4 (U. of Colorado)

I updated my ms3 to ms4. :D Thank goodness that bad boy of an application is officially IN as of tonight. All forms and documents are making their way to eras & ecfmg. 50 programs selected and paid for. :eek: We'll, see what happens! :luck:everyone!

Has anyone received any feedback from any program yet?..............the wait is going to kill me!!!

Has anyone received any feedback from any program yet?..............the wait is going to kill me!!!

i've recieved two emails from MUSC (medical university of south carolina). they were emails about documents, requirements, deadlines and review dates. other than that i haven't heard anything from anyone, but am positively anxious about who i see has downloaded my application. but what i do not understand, is that when go to my "track applications" function, i see that my MSPE is "not uploaded to PostOffice yet".
yet, MUSC considers my application "complete" . . . ? and when i log into oasis, it says my MSPE was uploaded august 15 . . . ?

what up wit' dat??

That whole MSPE thing is messed up, I do not even have one (IMG) and when I track my apps it says that it has already been uploaded by postoffice and, even worse, downloaded by programs!! :confused: :eek:

Yep, I also got the email from SC. :) I guess they like IMGs? Who knows......

What percentage of your applications have been downloaded? I wonder how many of the applications will be downloaded? most? all? :confused:

I went to sleep last night thinking that today the interview offers would start... for someone at least. I just want them to get rolling. I am so not patient. What are you all doing to pass the time- reading Robbins cover to cover?:laugh:

I'm in no hurry for my interviews, although I'm trying to get my application out asap to offer a good impression and hopefully find some flexibility in scheduling.

I'm up to my elbows in work but enjyoing the intermittent opportunities to slack off and rent movies that just wasn't there for me during clerkships. I'm actually really enjoying the weekends. Gonna take some time off next week when a friend comes out to visit.

I'm enthusiastic about seeing different programs, but I remember being very tired at the end of my medical school interviews. It was difficult to get the time off and expensive to fly all over the place. It's also a rather repetitive process replete with onerous formalities and salesmanship on both the part of the applicant and that of the program. I've researched all of my perspective programs and am really just looking forward to interacting with the faculty and house staff to determine whether or not I will fit in.

Almost wish I could invite everyone to a large party and rank the groups I find myself gravitating towards. You can tell I'm in 4th year mode.

I went to sleep last night thinking that today the interview offers would start... for someone at least. I just want them to get rolling. I am so not patient. What are you all doing to pass the time- reading Robbins cover to cover?:laugh:

I feel the same! what to do......?. :confused: what to do. I'm going to learn how to make a kilt I think. :thumbup: :D

I'm in no hurry for my interviews, although I'm trying to get my application out asap to offer a good impression and hopefully find some flexibility in scheduling.

I'm up to my elbows in work but enjyoing the intermittent opportunities to slack off and rent movies that just wasn't there for me during clerkships. I'm actually really enjoying the weekends. Gonna take some time off next week when a friend comes out to visit.

I'm enthusiastic about seeing different programs, but I remember being very tired at the end of my medical school interviews. It was difficult to get the time off and expensive to fly all over the place. It's also a rather repetitive process replete with onerous formalities and salesmanship on both the part of the applicant and that of the program. I've researched all of my perspective programs and am really just looking forward to interacting with the faculty and house staff to determine whether or not I will fit in.

Almost wish I could invite everyone to a large party and rank the groups I find myself gravitating towards. You can tell I'm in 4th year mode.

wouldn't be great to have a party - a big blow out - with all applicants and PD's together? sippin wine and beer under the same roof? a whole new twist on the match. do it like a raffle, or like BINGO . . . ugh . . . i'm a dreamer . . .

my my my . . . i have to admit, i like my avatar. but i'll tell you what: i'll look around and see if i can find another one that is suitable for all tastes. no promises though, thats how we did it in Alaska . . .

napoleon has it right to some degree . . . .

;) TBC

no offense, but the only two people to bag on my avatar have a combined 11 posts between the two of them.

trust me, spend some more time on SDN and you'll see avatars that make mine look like a 6-year-old's etch'a'sketch doodling

besides, c'mon . . . thats a frigin priceless photo, is it not?

Who says this is my first SDN persona???

....the beauty of anonimity:rolleyes:

no offense, but the only two people to bag on my avatar have a combined 11 posts between the two of them.

trust me, spend some more time on SDN and you'll see avatars that make mine look like a 6-year-old's etch'a'sketch doodling

besides, c'mon . . . thats a frigin priceless photo, is it not?

I'm not sure exactly *why* I'm still reading this thread, but I just wanted to say Arctic you HAVE to keep your avatar! It's friggin awesome!

Last edited:
i concur.

question: how the heck do i upload a photo on ERAS? i can't seem to figure it out . . .??

i concur.

question: how the heck do i upload a photo on ERAS? i can't seem to figure it out . . .??

I'm not sure if you can upload a photo on your own. My medical school uploaded my class/graduation photo for me.

i concur.

#1 I can not stand your avatar. :thumbdown: I hate fish and that just makes me ill to look at that kid taking a bite. Sick to my stomach. :barf:Yuck. Change it please.

#2 I still like ya so I'll help you out here. :D Since you are IMG I'm assuming you are using ecfmg for various parts of your application like I am. ecfmg is my "acting dean" in this process. Meaning ecfmg accepts my LORS, school transcript, etc and submits those documents on to ERAS.

Log in to OASIS https://secure2.ecfmg.org/emain.asp?app=oasis and you will see a note that says "upload a photo now."

Last edited:
ahhhhhhh, roger that. thanks!

(for future reference: avatar, not aviator. thanks for the leniency:D)

ahhhhhhh, roger that. thanks!

(for future reference: avatar, not aviator. thanks for the leniency:D)

sorry for the typo. i was ill from looking at "the fish" :D yucky

Good luck with the photo!!

FYI..IMG's have to upload their photo on the ECFMG website. Be careful. The website is very finicky about the size and dimensions. It has to be 3/3, 300/300 pixels and less than 100kb. Anything bigger will give you an error message. please use a photo processing program to get the right dimensions.

TMZ2007, I'm allergic to cats, could you please change your avatar!

ok, I'm just kidding, but...

should we start a new thread for interviews? or should we just mention them on this thread? preferences? anyone getting any interviews yet?

I heard that the residents get a lot of autopsies ( see http://home.ncifcrf.gov/ccr/lop/intranet/ResidentsManual/sect4autopat.asp ).
It might be a good place for someone interested in doing a lot of autopsies and/or a forensic pathology career. Dr. Jaffe is a top notch hematopathologist. Sounds like the call is heavy - http://home.ncifcrf.gov/ccr/lop/intranet/ResidentsManual/Section2.asp
"Residents take call from home and are not required to stay in the hospital. They carry a beeper with a radius range of 50 miles, giving them the flexibility to pursue personal activities during their call responsibilities. During the first two years of experience, the resident serves a total of seventeen and one-third weeks on call. Most of this call time is served in the first year of residency. Third year residents are relieved of call responsibilities, but are available to advise and mentor junior residents. In addition, to insure that no resident carries an excessive burden, a back-up resident is available for coverage if a resident receives more than 2 autopsies to perform on any call day."
I wonder if the back-up resident also has to stay within a 50 mile radius?
I wonder how often the back-up resident gets called in to do autopsies?

Last edited:
...I wonder how often the back-up resident gets called in to do autopsies?

Well, how many autopsies do they actually perform each year?
Besides, how many "stat" autopsies could they possibly have?

Well, how many autopsies do they actually perform each year?
Besides, how many "stat" autopsies could they possibly have?

Many residency programs actually do require autopsies be performed by residents on weekends and holidays to prevent complaints from families waiting to conduct funeral services. I guess you would say these are ASAP autopsies but not quite STAT autopsies.

should we start a new thread for interviews? or should we just mention them on this thread? preferences? anyone getting any interviews yet?

I prefer to mention them here so we have everything at one place.......am I being lazy here??? :idea:

BTW.......has anyone received any interviews yet??

AP only program at NIH

I like this program too for the research aspect. but the AP only tag is putting me off. The program seems to have a good hemepath component.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm new here. Just wanted to share that I received an interview invite from UPenn this morning. So they're starting to come!

Yeah, I think I'd rather have a separate interview thread as well. This one is already 4 pages long.

...still anxiously awaiting my first interview offer!

Does anyone know how good (or bad) is the program at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital in NYC? :idea: