2009 Pathology Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes it's early, but now that the 2008 match is over and done with, i thought i'd start a thread for the 2009 group. It'll be nice to see who's out there and how we fare throughout this process. so at the bottom of this I'll start a list and then when people add to it please copy the prior list and add yourself, such that a cumulative list gets posted with each new declared applicant.

as mlw03 did, i'll post some of the programs i hope to get some love from:

OHSU
Vermont
Dartmouth
Utah
Pitt
Penn State
SUNY Upstate
UC Davis
Duke
UNC
Wake Forrest
Yale
VCU
West Virginia
UNM
U Colorado
U Maryland

i'd say thats the more ambitious excerpts from my complete list. so if i get interviews from 1/4 of these places i'll be tickled.

Arctic Char - MS3, MSIH (The Medical School for International Health)

Members don't see this ad.

Napoleon1801 - MS3, U. of Oklahoma

Been waiting a long time for this! :) Not sure where all I'm going to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it's early, but now that the 2008 match is over and done with, i thought i'd start a thread for the 2009 group. It'll be nice to see who's out there and how we fare throughout this process. so at the bottom of this I'll start a list and then when people add to it please copy the prior list and add yourself, such that a cumulative list gets posted with each new declared applicant.

as mlw03 did, i'll post some of the programs i hope to get some love from:

OHSU
Vermont
Dartmouth
Utah
Pitt
Penn State
SUNY Upstate
UC Davis
Duke
UNC
Wake Forrest
Yale
VCU
West Virginia
UNM
U Colorado
U Maryland

i'd say thats the more ambitious excerpts from my complete list. so if i get interviews from 1/4 of these places i'll be tickled.

Those are some pretty diverse programs in different parts of the country. Before spending a lot of time and money on applications and interviews, I recommend you speak with your Path director/chairman about the programs they recommend from your list. I would also focus on what specific aspects of pathology interest you- if, for example, you are interested in CP, like hemepath or BB, there's only 1-2 good places for that on your list.

Good luck!

while gbwillner is right that that's a diverse list, i too applied all over geographically and somewhat diversely with respect to the nature of the program (although in the match i ended up exactly where i thought it would: medium-sized midwestern program). that said, i wanted to evaluate a lot of different program styles and cities to live in. was it expensive? yep, but i'm lucky to have generous grandparents, and this is important. so i agree that some focusing of one's application is a good idea, however don't be afraid to throw a few "odd-balls" in there. i added nebraska on towards the end based on a good recommendation from a friend, and really loved their program - enough to put them #2. a year ago i never thought i'd have ranked nebraska ahead of some of the places i applied, but you never know until you visit a program. i advocate applying broadly through ERAS and then if you receive more interviews than you want/need/can afford to go on, then start eliminating programs based on the best info you can get.

thanks for the input. believe it or not, this is a very truncated version of my working list. the reality is - like it or not - i am an IMG (US citizen) and no one from my program has ever applied to path before (we're a young program). therefore, i feel i really need to put my feelers out there and see what kinds of interviews i can land. i'm planning on applying to 35-50 programs . . .

as far as diversity of location goes . . . i'm really just trying to avoid being landlocked, and if i am landlocked, there better be some good mountains and/or rivers nearby (love kayaking, fishing, climbing, skiing). I'm originally from alaska, but i went to school in oregon, nashville, and seattle, so i feel i can get along almost anywhere.

as far as picking programs based on specific aspects of pathology . . . i am most interested in AP surgical and/or pediatric path. but to be honest, i feel like i should cast a broad net and see what interviews i can land, and then i can begin to evaluate programs in more depth according to compatibility with my interests.

or am i nutz?

again, thanks for the input guys. very much appreciated!

Casting a wide net is great, if you can afford it. I had 15 interviews around the country, and wound up staying locally, but interviewing around gave me a great perspective on different styles of program... it also let me meet a lot of big name people and future resident colleagues, so that part was fun.

One caveat I will have about recommendations - the information / impression you hear from people will often be semi-wrong or based on dated information... so try to keep a semi-open mind. At the same time, if you hear something from multiple sources, there's probably some truth to it.

Additionally, don't forget the growing database of residnecy interview reviews here. Pathology has one of the higher amounts of reviews, and I am in the process of slowly adding all mine. The 2008 applicants thread and rank/match threads might be useful too.

Finally, I want to throw in my recommendation for the program I'll be joining in July, Methodist in Houston... obviously I can give you a more inside perspective after July 1, but it has terrific faculty, great training, happy residents, excellent benefits, an incredible research track, and the cost of living cannot be beat! There are several programs in the area you could work into a single visit... and if you come down, I promise to buy you a beer. :)

BH

Casting a wide net is great, if you can afford it. I had 15 interviews around the country, and wound up staying locally, but interviewing around gave me a great perspective on different styles of program... it also let me meet a lot of big name people and future resident colleagues, so that part was fun.

One caveat I will have about recommendations - the information / impression you hear from people will often be semi-wrong or based on dated information... so try to keep a semi-open mind. At the same time, if you hear something from multiple sources, there's probably some truth to it.

Additionally, don't forget the growing database of residnecy interview reviews here. Pathology has one of the higher amounts of reviews, and I am in the process of slowly adding all mine. The 2008 applicants thread and rank/match threads might be useful too.

Finally, I want to throw in my recommendation for the program I'll be joining in July, Methodist in Houston... obviously I can give you a more inside perspective after July 1, but it has terrific faculty, great training, happy residents, excellent benefits, an incredible research track, and the cost of living cannot be beat! There are several programs in the area you could work into a single visit... and if you come down, I promise to buy you a beer. :)

BH

thanks. i've been through texas a few times, even lived in the northwest part of the state for a short couple of months, and i certainly have nothing bad to say . . . but for some reason, i've developed the impression that texas programs are not that "IMG friendly" . . . maybe i'm wrong. i'll look into it . . .

cheers

thanks. i've been through texas a few times, even lived in the northwest part of the state for a short couple of months, and i certainly have nothing bad to say . . . but for some reason, i've developed the impression that texas programs are not that "IMG friendly" . . . maybe i'm wrong. i'll look into it . . .

Yeah, I know a few IMGs have cycled through various programs at various time points. I would think since you're a citizen and have good communication skills, that would help a lot.

BH

Hey people. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm on my final clinical rotation and I've just decided that as much as I love discharge planning, I love molecular pathogenesis more :thumbup:. Undecided research vs. private practice at this point, but I'm fairly sure I'll go the AP/CP route. My research was in tumor invasion and I was trained by a hematopathologist so those are areas of interest for me.

Trying to do a general Path rotation at my home institution and a surgical path away. I'm couples matching with my wife who wants to do Gen Surg. Leading candidates are Houston (UTH, Methodist, Baylor), Emory (family there), and Missouri. Others surely will follow in a few months and I'm sure I'll keep posting. Want to give a shout out to Arctic Char for starting the thread.

P.S. docbiohazard - I may PM you about your impression of the 3 programs in H-Town.

KWiz79 - MS3/PhD, U. of Missouri

Look forward to it, KWiz... I also interviewed at Emory, and did the whole MD/PhD thing... so drop me a line at your leisure.

BH

Hey all!! Thanks so much for starting this list Arctic Char! I'll go ahead and post my full tentative list, and yall can go ahead and rake me over the coals as you see fit haha.

Based on 1) stuff I've heard, 2) the fact that I'm already in Texas, 3) the fact that I'm originally from Nevada, and 4) pure unbridled audacious hopes and dreams....here they are:

The places I'm actually hoping for invites from:
Texas A&M
UTMB
UT-Houston
UT-Southwestern
Baylor
Methodist-Houston
U. Arizona
U. Utah
U. Colorado
UC-Davis
UC-Irvine
Cedars-Sinai
U. Southern Cal
Oregon Health & Science
U. Washington
U. Virginia
UC-San Diego

The "oh, what the hell?" places:
Mayo
Northwestern
Emory
Cornell
U. Chicago
Columbia
Yale
UCLA
Stanford
UCSF
U. Pennsylvania
Wash U.
Johns Hopkins
The 3 Harvard programs

Hey Guys! glad to place a footing in the 2009 thread as well.. places I would like to see and apply to are:

UCLA
UCSD
UCDavis
UCSF
UCI
Cedar-Sinai
Utah
UNM
Denver
UTSW
Baylor Methodist
UT San Antonio
Baylor in Dallas
(prob applying to all schools in texas)
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
AECOM

I'll prob post an updated list very soon too heh

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to see the interest. I wonder how long this list will get?

getunconcsious - MS3, UT-Houston
dingozlife - Med student

Good to see the interest. I wonder how long this list will get?

dingozlife - Med student

how long will the list get? let me just say that i hope pathology is really unpopular this year ;) if you know what i mean, lol

how long will the list get? let me just say that i hope pathology is really unpopular this year ;) if you know what i mean, lol

According to my advisor, Pathology is declining in popularity. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 of us out of ~200 in my class doing Pathology.

Though maybe that bizarre movie will increase the interest level :rolleyes:

It's best not to take single year trends as emblematic of the overall trend. We'll see how it plays out in the end.

According to my advisor, Pathology is declining in popularity. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 of us out of ~200 in my class doing Pathology.

Though maybe that bizarre movie will increase the interest level :rolleyes:

Uno out of 150 at my school :hardy:

i heard a lot of "path is really competitive this year" - but in the end you look at the NRMP data and it seems that the c/o 2008 wasn't much different from other years. don't sweat any possible trends; if you're solid you won't have a problem finding a spot, and conversely, if you're weak you'll probably struggle to find a spot. like my tennis coach used to tell me, you can only control what you do.

There is more than enough interest level for Pathology among medical students. Path is not a primary care specialty so 1 or 2 people out of a medical school class interested in it is just right (although there are medical schools like UTSW that churn out a lot of students who go into Path - for the last 3 or 4 years, we have had >10 students each year match into the specialty).

There is a distorted notion that the interest in the field is waning when actually, it is the excess number of residency spots that is "killing" the specialty. Cut down the residency slots and we will see how even when only 1 student out of a medical school class applies to Path, the field will still be deemed highly coveted and competitive.

Happy to be a part of the 2009 pool.

I'm currently an MS3 at UTSW in Dallas and looking all over the country for residency. My top interests right now are:

Wash U
UTSW
U Chicago
Northwestern
UIC
Rush
U Michigan
UNC
Duke
U Wisconsin
U Minnesota
Ohio State
Indiana
Vandy
Dartmouth
UT-Houston
Methodist
Baylor

As BigD said, UTSW churns out path residents. Pathology was only behind IM and Peds and tied with Family Medicine and Anesthesia this year in terms of popularity, with 12 students matching in Path. I think this is due in large part to our excellent MS2 Pathology course, which is very popular among students and is the reason I began to consider a career in pathology.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the class of 2009!

dingozlife - Med student
Pronkzilla - MS3, UT-Southwestern

MS3 in St.Louis. A bit premature, but here is what I'm thinking about at the moment. I'm definitely open to entertaining suggestions.

Iowa
U. of Minnesota
Wash U
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo
Med College of Wisc
U of Texas SW
St. Louis Univ
U of Wash

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG

don't have a list yet. based on location we are looking at south, southeast, tx/ok/ar/az areas. Basically, I’m still working on setting up quality elective sites at this point.

:luck: good luck everyone! :luck:

adding ekard81 to the list . . .

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
Ekard81 - MS3 in St.Louis

still very early, but looking to go west (Utah, Arizona, NM, Colorado), but in the end that decision may change...whatever my wife is thinking come application time.

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
typicaltuesday - MS3 in Chicago

seems like everyone here so far is interested in the western programs. or maybe its just because there are so few, and those few are high quality, thus we all have them on our radar. personally, i'm a westerner and would like to go back (oregon or utah, UC-davis, maybe NM or arizona), but i am amenable to yet another change of scenery and culture shift. the northeast programs like dartmouth and vermont are highly attractive to me.

i have also done a lot of reading about west virginia (the state, not the path program) and it sounds like an awesome place to live. anybody know anything more about their path department at UWV? i've read their website a few times, but we all know that usually amounts to reading a brochure. do they have any kind of reputation? good/bad? research/PP? i'd love to hear anything if someone has something to share

Hi I am MS3 also.. yah scared abt this whole process... thinking of UW, UMASS, BWH... UVA.. top 4 :) but in the end hoping to end up somewher good ..

The west coast is a great place to be. However, I've grown accustomed to my ridiculously low cost of living. I can just imagine "negotiating" for a 300K 3/2 house...20 miles east of San Diego.

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
dmurali - MS3

The west coast is a great place to be. However, I've grown accustomed to my ridiculously low cost of living. I can just imagine "negotiating" for a 300K 3/2 house...20 miles east of San Diego.

dingozlife - Med student
tmz2007 - MS3, FMG
dmurali - MS3

Traditionally, isn't it fairly difficult to break into west coast if you have no ties there?

im just waiting out my last two rotations in ob/gyn and peds, ppl in my ob gyn rotation team are studying so hard for ob/gyn shelf and im just wondering when i can start my path electives..

I want to post my plug here as well.

Being one that interviewed at U of Mich, Cleveland Clinic, and U of MN throw in Mayo as well (which I see some have left off their list). Just be ready to fight super freezing weather which still hasn't ended up there. I know I'm in for a shocker being a Texan these past 8 years.

I found Mayo to be the best! (Think of little Pompoms thrown in here)

Michigan is a pretty solid program as well, also highly recommended. PM me if anyone has any questions! Love to help.

I want to post my plug here as well.

Being one that interviewed at U of Mich, Cleveland Clinic, and U of MN throw in Mayo as well (which I see some have left off their list). Just be ready to fight super freezing weather which still hasn't ended up there. I know I'm in for a shocker being a Texan these past 8 years.

I found Mayo to be the best! (Think of little Pompoms thrown in here)

Michigan is a pretty solid program as well, also highly recommended. PM me if anyone has any questions! Love to help.

On that note... I interviewed at MGH, BWH, UPenn, WashU, UW, UCLA, Methodist, Baylor, UPMC, Yale, and Cornell. PM me if you have any questions... especially if you're into research and/or CP.

I am an old IMG, Ph.D. from the States, 2 years research in a pathology department at a top institution. My USMLE score is 250 in step1, and 232 in step 2, I understand that pathology is competitive, especially for IMGs. I just don't know where I stand, should I apply very widely, or only focus on the university program with my reasearch background? Thanks.

You're never going to know unless you try. If you know any program directors or people in academic departments, you should ask to meet with them and they can give you some advice on your chances, etc. If you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to apply widely - you can always cancel interviews if lots of them start rolling in.

I am an old IMG, Ph.D. from the States, 2 years research in a pathology department at a top institution. My USMLE score is 250 in step1, and 232 in step 2, I understand that pathology is competitive, especially for IMGs. I just don't know where I stand, should I apply very widely, or only focus on the university program with my reasearch background? Thanks.

How old is "old"?

Traditionally, isn't it fairly difficult to break into west coast if you have no ties there?

Probably helps to have LORs from someone known wherever you're applying. The biggest problem with the west coast is cost of living. Even with the additional housing stipend at UCSF and Stanford, it's pretty hard to swing if you require any amount of space to live (ie. if you have a family). It can be done, but just think about it seriously on the front end. Especially if you're hailing from somewhere with a low cost of living. That's my advice.

BH

You're never going to know unless you try. If you know any program directors or people in academic departments, you should ask to meet with them and they can give you some advice on your chances, etc. If you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to apply widely - you can always cancel interviews if lots of them start rolling in.

Thanks for your reply, definitely I am going to try for 2009. The thing is I am not sure I should aim for low tier programs, or include the big academic programs which are obviously more competitive.

11 years after I graduated from medical school....:eek:

That doesn't really answer the question now, does it?

Anyway, based on my observations you will likely be fairly competitive. The "top tier" programs will likely look at you because of your PhD, and depending on the quality of your work will recruit you for research in their departments (notice I state quality of work and not place of work). I would strongly consider this IF you are interested in doing research. In fact I think you'd be wasting your time going through the match- you can probably pick up several off-match offers. If you're not interested in research anymore forget it- they won't touch you with a ten-foot pole.

On the other hand, the "lower-tier" will likely also be intersted in you - if you completed a pathology residency in another country. You will likely be seen as a slave laborer that is far more efficient than some punk 25 year-old resident with no experience. Yeah, it may suck finding a decent job after residency, but at least you'll get that far.

That doesn't really answer the question now, does it?

Anyway, based on my observations you will likely be fairly competitive. The "top tier" programs will likely look at you because of your PhD, and depending on the quality of your work will recruit you for research in their departments (notice I state quality of work and not place of work). I would strongly consider this IF you are interested in doing research. In fact I think you'd be wasting your time going through the match- you can probably pick up several off-match offers. If you're not interested in research anymore forget it- they won't touch you with a ten-foot pole.

On the other hand, the "lower-tier" will likely also be intersted in you - if you completed a pathology residency in another country. You will likely be seen as a slave laborer that is far more efficient than some punk 25 year-old resident with no experience. Yeah, it may suck finding a decent job after residency, but at least you'll get that far.

Thanks for your timely reply. I am now 32, not terribly old but it has been a long time after I graduated from medical school. Your comments really boost my confidence. ACtually I enjoyed doing research, and I have 9-10 publications, and half of them are 1st author. I guess I will also apply those big university programs as you suggested....Path all the way!

Thanks for your timely reply. I am now 32, not terribly old but it has been a long time after I graduated from medical school. Your comments really boost my confidence. ACtually I enjoyed doing research, and I have 9-10 publications, and half of them are 1st author. I guess I will also apply those big university programs as you suggested....Path all the way!

Dude, How the hell did you finish medical school when you were 21? Are you Doogie Howser? I've been in school straight through (with a PhD) and I'm 30.

im just waiting out my last two rotations in ob/gyn and peds, ppl in my ob gyn rotation team are studying so hard for ob/gyn shelf and im just wondering when i can start my path electives..

In the same boat actually! Four more weeks of obgyn and six of peds.... It's probably going to be a hard shelf, but its going to be difficult to take seriously. I can't wait for surg path, 7-5 sounds so freakishly good compaired to 5:30-6pm. I've been burnt out by ever since I finished surgery rotation in the fall. :boom:

In the same boat actually! Four more weeks of obgyn and six of peds.... It's probably going to be a hard shelf, but its going to be difficult to take seriously. I can't wait for surg path, 7-5 sounds so freakishly good compaired to 5:30-6pm. I've been burnt out by ever since I finished surgery rotation in the fall. :boom:

Wow, exact same boat, 4 more wks ob 5:30am-6pm (have week of night L&D calls as well) and then 6 wks peds, i had surg last fall too :laugh:

I can beat yall I think; Just found out today my last month of third year is general surgery at a huge county hospital. 4:30-6 and 5 calls. I guess it will just make me appreciate MS4 that much more? Hope I'm not too burned out for anatomic path tho. I guess I have a short 1 week break in between.

I can beat yall I think; Just found out today my last month of third year is general surgery at a huge county hospital. 4:30-6 and 5 calls. I guess it will just make me appreciate MS4 that much more? Hope I'm not too burned out for anatomic path tho. I guess I have a short 1 week break in between.

holy lame. :thumbdown:

Yah, same boat here. 2 months of general surgery, one of those months being q3 overnight call... It should be fun though.

Try some top tier university programs and some middle tier ones. I think you have a very good chance here. You may be supprised to find that sometimes the top tier ones can show you more love than the lower tier ones. Or maybe it's just I am biased. I thought all those that showed me some love are top programs and the others are lower tier ones. :oops:

Thanks for your advices!

What and where are considered to be "middle tier" programs?