2010-2011 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup same here, it seems to have been updated.

It just says:

Congratulations, ! Your application has been successfully submitted.

After completing your application, you will be notified with a confirmation email which will be sent to the email address provided in your application. Applicants are typically notified of decisions within 6 to 8 weeks. Please ensure that your contact information is updated both on your AMCAS application as well as your Georgetown Secondary application.

and on the side bar:

Application:
Application

Application was submitted on 7/20/2010 1:41:00 PM EST

Edit: I have not received the confirmation email though....interesting. Maybe it'll come soon?

Members don't see this ad.

Application Status: Completed on 7/22/2010 1:59:00 PM

is what mine displays.without showing the test results/transcripts received thing anymore like it did the last time I posted.

yeah--same here.. guess that means we're "officially complete"? exciting!

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt get an email but my status page on the supplemental app website says complete.

first interview invite!!!!! :)

submitted 7/20, complete 7/20. they were fast!!

sGPA 3.73, cGPA 3.70, 35P.

Edit: I was actually complete on 7/20, don't know why I put 7/22 there...

Last edited:
first interview invite!!!!! :)

submitted 7/20, complete 7/22. they were fast!!

sGPA 3.73, cGPA 3.70, 35P.

Wow congrats, my friend :thumbup:

Was it by email or was it on the application status page?

Wow congrats, my friend :thumbup:

Was it by email or was it on the application status page?

Thanks everyone! I did make an error above in saying that I was complete 7/22, I was actually complete 7/20...don't know why I said 7/22. Still a quick response!

I got an email...my application status page actually hasn't changed at all. The email starts with:

Dear ,
The Committee on Admissions for Georgetown University School of Medicine has asked me to invite you for a personal interview with a representative of our medical school.

scheduled for sept 3rd :)

Thanks everyone! I did make an error above in saying that I was complete 7/22, I was actually complete 7/20...don't know why I said 7/22. Still a quick response!

I got an email...my application status page actually hasn't changed at all. The email starts with:

Dear ,
The Committee on Admissions for Georgetown University School of Medicine has asked me to invite you for a personal interview with a representative of our medical school.

scheduled for sept 3rd :)

That's great being so early! Good luck to you :luck:

Well, I along with many other SDNers were complete on 7/22 so hopefully in a couple of days there will be a lot more interview invites going around :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Same (interview invite!)

3.9; 34

Do you it will make a significant difference in getting accepted if you choose an August date vs. a date before mid-Sept?

Interview Invite! first 1!

3.9/32N/Canadian lol
:clap:

Congrats on the interviews! Would people mind posting when they were complete?

First interview invite for me as well.

Those of you with less than 3.9s, take heart. :) 3.6/3.5ish here, with a 34. Complete 7/20.

Invited to interview!

Submitted 7/21

3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 34Q

Does anyone here know what % of interviewers Georgetown accepted last year? I heard a rumor saying it was a very low % but am not sure if that was true. :thumbup:

does anyone know how long the lag time is between primary submission and secondary receipt?

I submitted the primary on Monday, but still haven't received a secondary...

Does anyone here know what % of interviewers Georgetown accepted last year? I heard a rumor saying it was a very low % but am not sure if that was true. :thumbup:

Generally, schools accept twice as many seats as there are available. The class is 200, so they should accept about 400 students. They interview about 1100 applicants out of 11k. So probably 36% of those who interview gets in.

last year, "10797 applied, 1158 interviewed, 440 were accepted, 197 enrolled," according to U.S. News

last year, "10797 applied, 1158 interviewed, 440 were accepted, 197 enrolled," according to U.S. News

Those numbers are really close to Legacy87's numbers....great memory Legacy..and thanks biophysician for the research!! :thumbup:

7/22 for me

Yikes. Completed the same day. I have a feeling I won't be invited any time soon, if at all.

Anyhow, didn't mean to take away from your moment. CONGRATS!!! It would be nice for me to hear from ANYWHERE any time soon.

Same here. Completed the same day. Still no word.
how does one stand out among so many applicants?
BullDog4Eva, I love your name. I have a dog named Eva!

Same here. Completed the same day. Still no word.
how does one stand out among so many applicants?
BullDog4Eva, I love your name. I have a dog named Eva!

I was pretty crazy about Georgetown at first when I learned about their international program, but my excitement piped down a little when I read evaluations from current students.

Not majorly disappointed by a lack of invite yet, but my numbers are pretty similar to some of the people that have gotten invites... so now I'm worried about my overall candidacy.

I apologize if I am discouraging other applicants. I am particularly pessimistic about Georgetown because I have a feeling they don't think I'm a good fit.

With almost 11K applicants a year, I would guess they'd need to be more realistic about who they interview.

@Bulldog4eva: Last cycle, I got pretty excited when I got an invite at Georgetown because of its name and prestige. Once you go to the interview, I got really bummed out because it didn't meet my expectation. So I chose another school that is a little less well-known to the public and I feel much happier about my decision.

To those who got an invite, be proud. Keep an open mind when you go there. I would love to hear what your thoughts were about the place.

I was verified last week (7/22) and still haven't received a secondary. How long did everyone wait before receiving it?

I have heard the school is notorious for favoring people with connections.. Any feelings on that?

I got an email from Georgetown with a log-in password and invitation to complete a secondary, but no info on where/how to log-in and couldn't find any information on their application guide or website on how to log-in to the secondary. Was I supposed to have gotten another email? Does anyone know how to access the secondary?

I got an email from Georgetown with a log-in password and invitation to complete a secondary, but no info on where/how to log-in and couldn't find any information on their application guide or website on how to log-in to the secondary. Was I supposed to have gotten another email? Does anyone know how to access the secondary?
https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=GTU-SOM

Thanks for the info! Where did you find those numbers? I've been poking around the US News and World Report website, but I don't know if I need the premium online edition to see them.

thanks for the info! Where did you find those numbers? I've been poking around the us news and world report website, but i don't know if i need the premium online edition to see them.
msar

MSAR doesn't show how many students were accepted, so those numbers didn't come from it.

Fair enough - the person who also posted it says it comes from US News. Not sure, i'd take their numbers over the MSAR.

But you are right it doesnt say how many accepted

If you read the entirety of the secondary invite e-mail you will find those numbers, FYI.

First interview invite for me as well.

Those of you with less than 3.9s, take heart. :) 3.6/3.5ish here, with a 34. Complete 7/20.

Congrats! I am in the exact same boat as you. I hope to hear back soon.

Thanks for the info! Where did you find those numbers? I've been poking around the US News and World Report website, but I don't know if I need the premium online edition to see them.

Yea, I posted that. I have the "premium online addition" in lieu of MSAR. Those are the numbers they provided.

I was pretty crazy about Georgetown at first when I learned about their international program, but my excitement piped down a little when I read evaluations from current students.

Not majorly disappointed by a lack of invite yet, but my numbers are pretty similar to some of the people that have gotten invites... so now I'm worried about my overall candidacy.

Where does one find reliable information on student satisfaction rates with their med school? I think this is probably a much more important factor to consider when selecting a medical school than is often recognized.

Where does one find reliable information on student satisfaction rates with their med school? I think this is probably a much more important factor to consider when selecting a medical school than is often recognized.

I've never heard of such a thing... What I use is people's Interview Feedback. I go down to positive and negative impressions, and then general comments, and you tend to get a good description of a program from the perspective of an interviewee. A few schools do have school reviews by current students, but they're pretty scarce.

:thumbup:

Source please?

Source please?

The evaluations are from alumni from my school that are current students. It's only internally shared so I can't really post a link.

I'm sure there must be some general evaluations somewhere if you're really curious.

I am applying to Georgetown and my GPA isn't great, as in a 3.4. Should i discuss that in the further information and point out how my GPA has consistently been higher my last 2 years of undergrad in the section for further information?

Status
Not open for further replies.