2010-2011 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmuhooligan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may be a bit early, but my program had our first internship meeting of the year yesterday. So, for those of you who are applying, where are you at in the process? What are your plans for the rest of the summer?

Given that I applied last year, I don't think that I will need as much time as I did the first time around, so I don't plan on doing much until mid August maybe. I pretty much know what sites I will apply to (more than half I applied to last year).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't even started my internship yet, but this thread will likely give me bad flashbacks!:eek:

Application just became available online yesterday. I checked it out and am so glad that the application process is now entirely online. Will speed things up and cut down on busy work for applicants, administrations, and folks writing letters of recommendation. Still a bit daunting, but so much better.

I haven't even started my internship yet, but this thread will likely give me bad flashbacks!:eek:

My DCT joked that we get a mild case of PTSD from the process. I'm done with internship and get flashbacks thinking about it :D

Don't worry to those going through it....it's fine :cool:

I will be doing the match program this year. In the process thus far, I have identified all the programs I'm interested in, but might have to cut some off my list, looking at the application fees. I looked at the application and have begun entering the basic information. I think calculating and tallying all the practicum hours/assessment/counseling hours will be a little bit of a challenge for me. I hope to have that done before the summer is over, as well as the essay part. I know at least four people who can do LOR for me, might add a fifth person to the list. I think having the whole thing online will make the process a bit smoother, no worrying about stuff getting lost in the mail, that sort of thing. We'll see I guess.

I will be doing the match program this year. In the process thus far, I have identified all the programs I'm interested in, but might have to cut some off my list, looking at the application fees. I looked at the application and have begun entering the basic information. I think calculating and tallying all the practicum hours/assessment/counseling hours will be a little bit of a challenge for me. I hope to have that done before the summer is over, as well as the essay part. I know at least four people who can do LOR for me, might add a fifth person to the list. I think having the whole thing online will make the process a bit smoother, no worrying about stuff getting lost in the mail, that sort of thing. We'll see I guess.
That is a good way to go about it, as certain sites want specific letters. I had 3 clinical supervisors, 1 research supervisor, and 1 academic LOR. Most places ask for 3, some 2, and a couple said 3 or more.

why can't the search directory have a place to search for major keywords or something? i.e. specific types of therapy, populations, etc.

I'm interested in working with asian populations, particularly family therapy (or PCIT/incredible years), and it's basically through word-of-mouth from people who have already researched internship extensively and/or luck that I find a site that specifically state them.

Oh well, I have another 2 years before I'll apply, but, I wish the search on APPIC was a little more user-friendly, even though I do like some of the features it currently has.

edit: nvm, i just found the pdf version, and you can just use find/search to look for key words.

also, for those that have gone through this, how serious is it when a site is on probation for APA accredited?

Last edited:
Fyi:

appic match news
---
the appic board of directors is pleased to announce that the online version of the appic application for psychology internships (aapi online) is now available.

The launch of the aapi online is the culmination of a multi-year effort by appic to make the internship application process more cost-effective and efficient for applicants, doctoral programs, and internship sites. The content of the aapi online was created with input from appic-member internship programs, appic-subscriber doctoral programs, and doctoral psychology graduate students.

Students may now access the aapi online to create and develop their internship applications for the 2009-2010 selection process. Academic directors of clinical training (dcts) and individuals who provide letters of recommendation (e.g., faculty, supervisors) will have access to the aapi online once students reach the point in the application process when they request dct verification and/or letters of recommendation. Access for internship programs is still under development and will be available soon.

Appic welcomes feedback about the aapi online. Comments and feedback may be directed to the chair of the aapi online committee, dr. Karen taylor, at [email protected] .

The aapi online should be used by students to apply to all appic-member internship programs as well as those non-member programs that register to participate in the appic match. All applications must be submitted online, and no site may request a printed copy of a student's application materials. The use of the aapi online to apply to programs that are not participating in the appic match is prohibited.

News and information about the aapi online, along with instructions about how to access the service, can be found at www.appic.org, click on "aapi online."

dr. Karen taylor led the effort to develop and implement the aapi online. The appic board would like to acknowledge the dedication and hard work of the aapi online committee and the prior appic board members who were involved in the initial development of the service:

Aapi online committee: Dr. Arnie abels
dr. Eugene d'angelo
dr. Jeanette hsu
dr. Teri simoneau
dr. Jason williams

early development: Dr. Jeff baker
dr. Joyce illfelder-kaye

a very special recognition is made for the outstanding and extensive contributions of dr. Greg keilin without whom this online application would not exist.

The board would also like to thank the staff of appic's partner, liaison international, a company that specializes in the development of centralized application services.

We wish everyone the best with the 2009-2010 internship application process.

As bitter as I am that I have to go through this process again, I think the things that I have done and am doing to strengthen my application and develop my training are going to lead me into a positive direction for this year's match.

I'm proud to say that passed my final dissertation defense May 21st. I have obtained a well-respected VA externship and had another poster accepted for presentation at NAN.

So with the application process being done online this year... is National Matching Service still running the match process? I would think that it would be easy enough to plug the matching algorithm into the online application service and take care of it that way. Just curious.

Anyone else that didn't match last year and is going through this process again, good luck. Best of luck to all the first time applicants this year.

As bitter as I am that I have to go through this process again, I think the things that I have done and am doing to strengthen my application and develop my training are going to lead me into a positive direction for this year's match.

I'm proud to say that passed my final dissertation defense May 21st. I have obtained a well-respected VA externship and had another poster accepted for presentation at NAN.

That is how you need to approach it. I applied 2 years ago for internship, and while I landed highly competitive interviews....I didn't end up matching. I did a poor job of picking out sites that "fit", and even in CH the offers I received weren't a good fit...as I panicked and applied to a bunch of places in hopes to get ANY spot. It was tough to say no, but ultimately I knew it would be the better decision.

Over the next year I TA'd more, presented at two more conferences, and added to my clinical experiences. When interviews came around I not only received more interviews (11), but almost every site was a good fit. I landed a competitive VA, and most likely will be much more competitive for post-doc placements. It really stunk to see most of my cohort move on, but I know this was the right move for me.

So with the application process being done online this year... is National Matching Service still running the match process? I would think that it would be easy enough to plug the matching algorithm into the online application service and take care of it that way. Just curious.

NMS is still doing it.

Anyone else that didn't match last year and is going through this process again, good luck. Best of luck to all the first time applicants this year.

You certainly sound well prepared. Good luck to you in the match!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
What I'm trying to figure out is what this "fit" thing really means. We had our first internship meeting a few weeks back, and if we'd have played a drinking game to the word "fit," I'd have been utterly trashed.

At the meeting, they talked a lot about fit to the graduate program. As in, choosing sites with a similar mindset (clinical science, sci-prac, prac-schol, etc) as your graduate program. I'm sure it also makes sense to think about theoretical orientation, as there are some sites who seem to require a Rorschach, which my program scoffs at, so I clearly won't be applying there.

Other than that, though, my process has been a bit ridiculous. I've been going through each state, searching for APA-accredited programs and clicking on all of them that aren't children focused or counseling centers. It is taking forever, because I simply want a program with good generalist training. There are a couple rotations I'm interested in, so I am looking for those in a vague sort of way, but the list I have now seems like a list of ridiculously competitive sites, and I'm starting to feel freaked out.

For others going through the process or who've been through it already, what exactly are you looking for in terms of that elusive mistress, "fit"?

^

I did my internship at a VA and found it to be a great site for generalist training. While I was a specialty track intern (health) I found that everything else that I was exposed to at the VA was just as, if not more, valuable. I interviewed at several and they all seemed to be similar in training opportunities.

^

I did my internship at a VA and found it to be a great site for generalist training. While I was a specialty track intern (health) I found that everything else that I was exposed to at the VA was just as, if not more, valuable. I interviewed at several and they all seemed to be similar in training opportunities.
I'm at a VA now, and while I am in the beginning weeks of my internship training, it seems like they offer a nice range of experiences and encourage interns to diversify their experience. Each VA can be a bit different, so make sure to look at the specifics of each one.

Here is more info about the application process, pulled from the APPIC listserv

APPIC INTERN-NETWORK
---

As the Coordinator for the AAPI Online, I have received many questions about various aspects of the application. In addition, I am reading the posts to this network and decided to send out an email to address the content of some of the questions and conversations that have occurred in the past couple of weeks.
So, the following is a bit of a "hodge podge" of items:

1.We have added a Tips for Applicants to the front page of the AAPI Online on the APPIC website (www.appic.org; click on the AAPI Online button on the right hand side of the page and you will go to the AAPI Online page. The following item was added this week due to the number of questions I am receiving on the location of the essays:
a.TIPS FOR APPLICANTS: (a) To locate the essays, enter the Applicant Portal and click on the "essay" section. Click on "Add New Entry" to add a new set of essays. As indicated in the instructions, you can either tailor your essays to individual sites, or you can use the same set of essays for multiple sites. (b) If you apply to a site that has multiple tracks or rotations, you should submit only one application to that site (and pay only one fee). Sites that have multiple tracks or rotations should indicate, in their application requirements, how you should designate the tracks or rotations to which you are applying. (Updated July 30, 2009)
b.We may continue to use a Tips For Applicants method to keep you abreast of important items, so it may be helpful to check the webpage on a frequent basis.

2.Many sites are still in the process of updating their application procedures and thus their websites may not yet include reference to the AAPI Online. If you do review a site that has not updated their materials, make sure you return to review it again so that you are guiding your application by the most up to date application requirements for each site. I for one am at one of those sites that typically updates our materials in August.

3.ALL materials you submit to a site, as part of you application, are to be submitted ONLINE; there should be NO paper materials sent to a site.

4.Work sanctioned experience: this is clinical activity that your academic program sanctions as closely akin to practicum experience and thus can be included in your summary of practicum experience. This means that your program approves the experience; if the program does not "sanction" the experience as a close fit to a practicum experience, then you could include this experience on your vita as clinical work experience. A good example of a work sanctioned clinical experience would be a student getting a job in a setting in which they had also done a practicum; one of the key assumptions in the determination of whether a work experience closely parallels a practicum experience would be whether adequate supervision would be in place as well as some of the other aspects of a practicum experience as defined by the program. If the program approves the work experience as parallel to the practicum experience, then it is possible to include these hours in the Intervention section of the AAPI Online.

5.Terminal Masters degrees: the distinction between a terminal masters degree and a masters degree that would be included w/ the doctoral degree has to do with whether or not the degree was earned as a separate process from the current doctoral program in which you are enrolled. For instance, if you received a Masters from a program at your current institution (or certainly from a program at another institution) and it is not affiliated w/ your current doctoral program, then this would be a Terminal Masters and you would list your clinical experience under the label of Terminal Masters on the AAPI Online. If however, you earned your masters degree as part of the on-going process of your current program, you would include this masters experience w/ your summary of doctoral work.

6.Offering advice on the intern network: Certainly one of the advantages of such a listserv is that your can share your experiences with each other as well as offer support for the process of the application. One drawback, however, to providing information is when the content is not correct. My suggestion is that if you are commenting on the actual content of the AAPI Online, on a definition of an item, etc., it may be best to leave those questions for me to respond to so that there is some consistency in response as well as a decrease in the amount of misinformation that can occur despite one's most honorable intentions. I certainly am not trying to squelch the important interaction that occurs on the network, just wanting to have the most up to date and accurate information as possible so as to reduce confusion and potential frustration.

I will continue to monitor the content of the intern network as well as review the individual questions coming to me so I can send out occasional emails summarizing the most relevant and frequent issues that I am seeing and/or post some items in the Tips for Applicants section of our website. In the meantime, please do feel free to contact me, however, I will be out of the office this week for the APPIC board meeting and APA.

Good luck as your traverse the AAPI Online and the entire application process.
karen

anybody used Time2Track, and was it useful during applications? It's not too expensive, i think $40ish a year, but I'm just curious if people who've used it liked it, and what was particularly useful or not so useful.

I was planning on just using current excel templates, then putting it on google docs so i can update it before/after my assessments/therapies.

Just wondering how everyone is doing?

I've been working on essays (I applied last year, so I'm using aspects of last years essays, but I did have to create two versions of essay 1--one for research sites and one for clinical sites). I'm actually a little worried that the few "back-up" clinical sites I'm applying to will sniff-out my true academic aspirations and won't extend interviews even though I've crafted more "clinically-friendly" essays...I guess we'll see, I just don't want to get pinched as I did last year because I only applied to research sites (as others have mentioned before, there really aren't "back-up" research sites).

anybody used Time2Track, and was it useful during applications? It's not too expensive, i think $40ish a year, but I'm just curious if people who've used it liked it, and what was particularly useful or not so useful.

I was planning on just using current excel templates, then putting it on google docs so i can update it before/after my assessments/therapies.

Oh, I *LOVE* Time2Track. I don't think it's worth transferring information if you've already got a system, but for early grad students, I *highly* recommend using it. It's really easy to use, you can set recurring 'appointments' (read: weekly sessions and/or supervisions) and then just check off whether they actually occurred or not. They have lists of all the tests and are very responsive if you want to include a test they don't have (I emailed them once and they added the test within an hour).

The people who run the program update it as the APPI changes, so come application time, my plan is to just print out my Time2Track summary and just easily fill in all the boxes. Of course, I haven't done that yet, but I'm applying this year, so I can post again when I've gone through the process. I'm sure using googledocs/excel works too, but it's so nice to have everything organized and tallied in APPI form. I got every student in my program to use Time2Track and I haven't heard any major complaints yet...

Just wondering how everyone is doing?

Eh. I've got drafts of the essays done but have set them aside for awhile to gain perspective. I keep checking the sites with outdated brochures in the hope that they'll be updated and I can finalized my site list, but that hasn't happened yet.

I have no real idea where I'm supposed to be in the process. As soon as I propose my dissertation (3 weeks from today!) I'm going to start heavily researching each site (finding research mentors, etc) so I can write the cover letters.

I have no real idea where I'm supposed to be in the process. As soon as I propose my dissertation (3 weeks from today!) I'm going to start heavily researching each site (finding research mentors, etc) so I can write the cover letters.

It seems that many sites have a Nov 1st deadline, so you should shoot to have everything in the mail at least a week before that. Getting your LORs back (which requires you to have your sites selected) seemed to be the most important thing outside of your control. Review sites can take a LONG TIME, the same can be said about the essays. I probably had 4-5 different people look over my essays, as they changed quite a bit from my first draft through what I actually sent.

Just curious what type of sites everyone is applying to? I'm applying mostly to medical schools, and some VAs. Mass General and the University of Illinois-Chicago are my top two sites (hopefully one of them will feel the same way about me :).

Well I'm not sure whether or not I am going to apply this year. I really want to go to a research oriented internship like Brown, Chicago, MGH, or UCSF. How difficult is it to match with these internships? I've heard it's really tough so that makes me think I should apply this year in the event I don't get in. I have an NRSA that will cover me for the next 2 years, so there's no real rush.

The benefits of waiting include a little more research (hopefully another publication or 2; I have 7 (4 first author) with 2 more under review (1 first author) and 3 in prep (2 first author) that should be submitted in the next few weeks), diss will be defended (so did I won't have to worry about it while on internship).

The benefits of not waiting include getting my Ph.D. sooner rather than later (possibly), and having next year to reapply if I don't match to the research sites I plan to apply to.

I don't come from a big R1 school. Although I see it as a strength that I've been able to do so much research at a school that doesn't really value research. But I don't know if these competitive internships would see it that way. On the plus side, I have published in good journals in my area (e.g., psychology of addictive behaviors, journal of health psychology, addictive behaviors, etc.) as well as good journals in other areas (e.g., personality and social psychology bulletin and psychological science). Plus I've presented research at numerous conferences.

What do you guys think? Should I apply this year or wait one more? Is more research expereince really going to help me at this point? Do you think I would stand a chance at a place like Brown if I come from a small state school (I would really appreciate hearing from people that have gone through the process)?

I've been hearing a mix so far. Some people (mostly faculty) think I should wait a year and do some more research. Others (mostly students and friends) think I should apply now.

Well I'm not sure whether or not I am going to apply this year. I really want to go to a research oriented internship like Brown, Chicago, MGH, or UCSF. How difficult is it to match with these internships? I've heard it's really tough so that makes me think I should apply this year in the event I don't get in. I have an NRSA that will cover me for the next 2 years, so there's no real rush.

The benefits of waiting include a little more research (hopefully another publication or 2; I have 7 (4 first author) with 2 more under review (1 first author) and 3 in prep (2 first author) that should be submitted in the next few weeks), diss will be defended (so did I won't have to worry about it while on internship).

The benefits of not waiting include getting my Ph.D. sooner rather than later (possibly), and having next year to reapply if I don't match to the research sites I plan to apply to.

I don't come from a big R1 school. Although I see it as a strength that I've been able to do so much research at a school that doesn't really value research. But I don't know if these competitive internships would see it that way. On the plus side, I have published in good journals in my area (e.g., psychology of addictive behaviors, journal of health psychology, addictive behaviors, etc.) as well as good journals in other areas (e.g., personality and social psychology bulletin and psychological science). Plus I've presented research at numerous conferences.

What do you guys think? Should I apply this year or wait one more? Is more research expereince really going to help me at this point? Do you think I would stand a chance at a place like Brown if I come from a small state school (I would really appreciate hearing from people that have gone through the process)?

I've been hearing a mix so far. Some people (mostly faculty) think I should wait a year and do some more research. Others (mostly students and friends) think I should apply now.

I think your application would be very strong even at the top research sites. For what it's worth, I interviewed at MGH last year (although I didn't match), the TD there informed me that the typical student who matches there has 5-6 publications. So, given that you have 7, and 4 of those are 1st authored (which I think counts for a lot), I think you would be very competitive. I'm not sure if the same rule of thumb would apply at other top sites, but I'm sure 5+ pubs would get you in the mix just about anywhere. The only question that would remain is if you had a good match in regard to your research and the site.

I have 6 publications (all first authored) with 2 more first authored in review and several others in prep, and I was told by the faculty at my school I would be very competitive. I kinda was in your boat last year (although I didn't have nearly as many pubs as you do), in that I wasn't sure if I would be competitive, but I thought I would give it a shot (staying an extra year wasn't a big deal to me). So my advice would be to go for it!

I really want to go to a research oriented internship like Brown, Chicago, MGH, or UCSF. How difficult is it to match with these internships? I've heard it's really tough.......

Your stats are good, but your FIT is what is important after that. One of my former supervisors went to Brown and she stressed that everyone is going to have good stats, so it doesn't matter if you have 5 or 7 pubs, because at that level they know you can publish, now they want to know if you can work within their system, if they have rotations that meet your needs, etc. While it often feels like we are prostituting ourselves on the interviews, most sites have our best interests in mind.

Another thing to consider is whether or not an "extra" year will allow you to complete your dissertation prior to leaving for internship. It's not impossible to do it while you're on internship, but so much more preferable to get it done before. That allows you to hit the ground running with new collaborations, grant ideas, etc. at your internship site - especially if you end up at one of the more research-oriented ones, as you've indicated.

Because you have the NRSA funding, I would consider staying the extra year if that will allow you the time to really finish and defend prior to going on internship. But it does also sound like you would be competitive now, if you wanted to go for it. As TFC mentioned, really emphasizing the fit to the site is also going to be important, especially to faculty conducting research in your area.

Another thing to consider is whether or not an "extra" year will allow you to complete your dissertation prior to leaving for internship.

This can be a big deal to your (future) internship site. At my site, anyone who doesn't have their dissertation done is "strongly encouraged" to use a minor rotation spot to work on it. The fact I came in with all of my research done gave me a lot more flexibility with my rotations, and also freed me up to pursue research opportunities to strengthen my training. I'm not looking for an academic career, but being able to apply to post-docs and show clinical and research productivity will help me be more competitive for a formal post-doc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I would really be pushing it to defend by the start of internship if I applied this year. Maybe I'll hold off a year, anything to make my self a little more competitve.

Ugh...I won't be applying til next year but I'm already exploring APPIC, jotting down sites I want to apply to or at least learn more about (have already found my dream site....it's so perfect it hurts!!!) but I find myself already getting excited/nervous/everything else about the whole match process from applying to interviews to ranking and (hopefully) matching. I even think about random things like on match day - what do the e-mails look like? Can you tell from the title if you match or not? What time will I get my e-mail? (I know I won't find out the answer to the last one as the e-mails for everyone in my program were sprinkled throughout the morning without any apparent order). Part of me wants life to speed up so I can just go straight to match day and find out what's in store but part of me wants life to slow down so I have more time to do whatever it takes to get into Dream Site. Anybody else quasi-prematurely thinking/planning/fearing/getting excited about all of this??

....what do the e-mails look like? Can you tell from the title if you match or not? What time will I get my e-mail? (I know I won't find out the answer to the last one as the e-mails for everyone in my program were sprinkled throughout the morning without any apparent order).

The first e-mail comes on a Friday and tells you if you matched, and the second e-mail comese on Monday and tells you where you matched. Here are my 2 e-mails from this past year.

Friday E-mail (timestamped 7:26am Est)

Subject: Applicant #####: APPIC Match Result
To: T4C - Applicant Code #########

This message provides you with your Match result for the APPIC
Internship Matching Program for internship positions beginning
in 2009.

Congratulations! You have been matched to an internship position.

Information on the specific program to which you have been matched will be available on the Match web site beginning at 10:00 a.m. EST on Monday, February 23, 2009. This information will also be sent to you by e-mail on Monday morning, February 23, 2009.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday E-mail
(timestamped 7:22am)

Subject: Applicant #####: APPIC Match Result
To: T4C - Applicant Code ##########

This message provides you with your Match result for the
APPIC Internship Matching Program for internship positions
beginning in 2009.

Congratulations! You have been matched to:

Training Site: YOUR TRAINING SITE

Program: POSITION - LOCATION

Program Code: #########

Wow, that was speedy! Thanks T4C! I'm assuming the e-mails going out to non-matched people has the same subject and just a different fourth line? I don't even know why I'm wondering about all this....it's the tiniest most insignificant thing. Guess I'm just hopelessly curious :p

One other thing... Is it a bit much to contact an internship site to get more information over a year before you apply there? I found an *amazing* internship site that is a *great* fit for me. However, the website it links to is just a general website for their whole organization and does not give any specifics about their internship program. Would it be too....weird/odd/overly eager/etc to e-mail the contact person asking for more info? I'm definitely applying there, but not til next year.

One other thing... Is it a bit much to contact an internship site to get more information over a year before you apply there? I found an *amazing* internship site that is a *great* fit for me. However, the website it links to is just a general website for their whole organization and does not give any specifics about their internship program. Would it be too....weird/odd/overly eager/etc to e-mail the contact person asking for more info? I'm definitely applying there, but not til next year.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with a brief email asking for more info. Would you be applying a year from this fall? That's not too soon to start considering options. If it will be longer than that (ie, you're like a first year), I might wait a bit.

Here is a really good e-mail from Dr. Ian Nicholson about the application process, small v. big things, and a few other worthwhile tidbits. People can get really particular with how they put their apps together (I was), so I thought some reinforcement of what is important will be useful for those people applying this year.

The bolding is mine, and I also I included some of my comments below. Reading over this was suprisingly therapeutic, as I am in the process of picking out post-doc fellowships for 2010, and I needed to remind myself of what really matters, and what is just my neuroses making an appearance.

-------------------------------------------------------
APPIC INTERN-NETWORK
---
I have been reading the comments on the listserv this year and they are a bit different than what I have seen in previous years. The big new issue this year is the online AAPI. It is more a challenge for students this year than the old form because you don't have the experience of previous students in filling it out. Also, what instructions seem clear to us may not be to someone completing the form who is concerned about filling it out as best as he or she can. I want to thank Karen for her leadership in the development of this form and thank her in advance for the work in shepherding both the applicants and the internship director through the first use of this form.

While it is difficult to make a transition, it is an almost universal truth that anyone who has gone through this in the past has wondered why we were still mired in the paper system and why we did not have an electronic system. It has been a huge job for those at APPIC who have worked on this for years. On a larger note, the discussions on the list have often begun to turn to issues that can seem, to the applicant at the time of potential, if not vital, importance. The concern is that if one were to make a fatal flaw that one would be rejected from the sites they are concerned about. This happens every year.

While some of those earlier discussions are not salient anymore (e.g., what colour paper do you use, do you paperclip or staple), others are still germane (e.g., do you single space or double space, do you put extra spaces between paragraphs). While these may be legitimate questions, please know that they often appear much more important to the applicants than they are to training directors. Personally, I have come to believe that concerns sometimes these concerns sometimes arise from local "urban internship myth" where word will spread around a programme that X or Y needs to be done, "so-and-so was the only applicant from our programme who, a number of years ago, didn't do X or Y in that particular way and he/she didn't get any interviews", or "Didn't you know everybody does X". Anxieties can begin to balloon as a result.

However, issues such as those above mean little, if anything, in the actual process of reviewing the application. Such "rules" are likely more a regional norm than an international training director rule. Please know that, as training directors, these things do not matter much to us. What matters is the content - the content is what reflects who you are, where you are in your training, and where you want to go professionally. I would not worry so much about if these 20 hours should go in this category or that category. Please trust that the form has been developed over many years in such a way as to allow the Training Directors to have a good idea who you are and what are your training needs (if it didn't match our needs, rest assured that training directors would be making requests to APPIC for changes in the AAPI to allow it to better match OUR needs in reviewing it so we can best learn who you are).

A good rule of thumb to follow is: if a programme doesn't explicitly mention it, it likely isn't something to be concerned about. Please know that it does an internship no good to have "secret" or "hidden" criterion that they use to weed out applications. It is in our best interest to be as transparent as possible in what we are looking for. If the material is not on the website or in their brochure, please feel free to email the programme's training director. We all get a number of such requests for information. It is part of what we do. If you get a "snarky" response (which should be a rarity), it will give you an idea of what a year at the site would be like.

One caution, don't feel the need to "have to" email a programme because you might be at risk compared to others who ask questions to the training director before the match. Believe me, whether or not someone has asked questions before does not play a role in our decision making.

Bottom line, if you concerned about how something should be done for a particular site, ask their training director. I would add that it is useful for me to get these questions as it underscores areas where we may have to clarify our application material. This is particularly true this year as many training directors have been slow to update their materials in light of the new format for application.

In other words, what really matters is who you are and what you have done. I will also state that there is often the perception that the more people you have write for you, the stronger you will look. Some people say that a place only asked for three letters but I have four references, so I will look better if I send four. That is NOT the case. Trust that who you are, your strengths as well as your areas for growth and development, can be found by three members of our profession who have had the opportunity to work with you and were a part of your development as a member of our profession.

In general, these are letters of "recommendation". That is, they give the reader a sense of what type of person/professional you are vis a vis what we have to offer. A fourth letter extolling your virtues and strengths adds little, if anything, to your portfolio. Sometimes people say that there is this fourth type of experience they would like to have covered in the
letters. However, the reader of the application will see what type of person/professional you are in the other three recommendations that outline your strengths and your AAPI outlines your clinical experience.

It is probably a question one would ask oneself is, was I so very different as a psychologist-in-training in the four different settings that I require four different letters to show who I really am. If that is the case, the reference letter reader might ask, "why does this candidate come across so differently as a professional when working with different people and different settings that he/she needs four letters to describe who he/she is." In other words, please trust that the three writers really do know you and can adequately reflect on you.

At this stage, you have to trust that your experiences are strong and that your application reviewers know what they are doing (if they don't, do you really want to spend a year there?) Please remember that, as training directors of our internship programmes, we want the best possible match for our site so we can offer the most for the person's development (and the more we can grow and develop from having them with us).

One area that I believe should demand your attention, however, is how you write your AAPI, particularly your essays. It is a demonstration of your writing. AAPI's that are poorly written, with poor grammar and poor spelling are, much to my surprise, much too common. While you may think that these issues should play no role, they do. In particular, they reflect on the amount of care and attention to detail that you have taken in writing your APPI essays.

If you take that little care in your AAPI, the question that follows is: "How much care will you take in your clinical work with our patients if you are here working with us." Another comment I have heard from file reviewers goes something like this: "If this an example of their best writing, how much time and I going to spend on revising their letters and reports before it goes out with my signature on it."

A comment on the length as well. Once again, the model from applicants is sometimes that "more is better". The concern is that 500 words will not allow me to display who I am properly but 550 (or 600 or 750) will allow me. Once again, please trust that your file reviewers will be able to see who you are, even without the capacity to put in that extra 50 or 100 words per essay. Trust that they can see who you in the 500 words and in the types of experiences you have had.

After all the hundreds of hours you have spent in courses and in clinical experience, don't underestimate the importance on how you present that material in the AAPI essays. While I am certain you are well aware of it already, I will reinforce the point of ensuring that you have others review the material and help you revise it before it is sent.

Another issue that I have seen over the years (but I don't believe has come up recently this year) is how to handle personal information. In other words, how much self-disclosure (e.g., psychotherapy history, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, children) is important. On this issue, I tend to go to the issue of how important is the issue to the person. For example, if this is of central importance to you and will influence your work on internship, then it is likely important to mention it.

Will it result in some lowering of your applications in the eyes of some training directors, possibly yes. However, more related to the idea of being true to yourself, unless you plan to hide something the entire year you are on internship, then you should disclose it. If a programme will react negatively to the issue and you might end up there by "hiding" this important aspect of yourself, then you will likely have a negative experience that year (simply because you wanted to go there so bad you hid an important, central part of yourself from you).

This is too important a year to go somewhere where you will not be comfortable for the year and you will not be welcomed for who you really are. For anyone who has not yet started on their AAPI essays, I would strongly advise starting work on them. It may not look like that much to write, but don't let running out of the necessary time to do your best on it hurt your chances in getting the best match possible for your internship year.

I know it is hard to recognize sometimes, but what you have accomplished, what you write, how well you write it, and what people say about you are really what carry the day, not can you capture this 30 hours or which category this 50 hours should be placed. In some ways, please trust in your training and trust in the system. However, when the stakes seem this great and you only have one shot at it, these trusts are hard to come by. As psychologists(-to-be) you know what happens to people under those types of circumstances.

All the best to everyone in the process.
Ian
-------------------------------------------------------

If you didn't notice, you should have your essays well on their way. The essay section is the one area where you can directly speak to the internship committees. Do NOT treat them lightly. I'd suggest you get them reviewed by one of your supervisors, peers, and at least one really good editor.

In my case I had general feedback from a supervisor and redrafted them. Then I floated them to peers and then redrafted. Then I floated them to my supervisor again and then redrafted. Lastly I floated them to a couple of good editors. Even though I consider myself a solid writer, you'll have looked at your essays so much that things drift together, and a good editor can pick little things out that you may have missed. Later on interviews a received a number of comments on my essays, which helped validate the effort put in.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a copy of a redacted letter of recommendation used in the APPIC process. I ask because one of my supervisors has never written one before and requested that I provide her an example. My understanding is that they are longer and more in depth than most other kinds of letters of rec. I suppose it would be easier if SHE would ask a colleague for one but she very clearly made this my responsibility (oh well). Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If you get the APA Internships in psychology guide there is a page about what you want to recommendations to say. Maybe your library has a copy

Where did everyone go? I'm wondering where people are in the process.

In addition to working on the apps, I'm working in a lab and finishing my dissertation proposal for some of the deadlines.

Life intensity rating: 9 out of 10. This is the most anxiety-provoking process I've been involved in career or school-wise, hands down, so I hope some people wander in...

In related news, I'm curious how many people stay on for a postdoc where they intern.

Life intensity rating: 9 out of 10. This is the most anxiety-provoking process I've been involved in career or school-wise, hands down, so I hope some people wander in...
Bluegirl, i agree. this process is very intense. While i have finished the main essay portion of the appic Application, i have just started looking at the supplemental material i have to supply these sites. I can't believe how many sites want extra essays. Not to mention i am sure many of us have to balance this appic thing with dissertation work (i defend my proposal very soon), and outside school work. I definetely felt like giving up on this whole grad school thing oday.

I guess knowing others are going through similar stress though makes it a bit easier to deal with.

I third the life intensity rating. I just spent the last 8 hours working on cover letters, 17 of them. Plus at the same time I'm trying to collect data for my dissertation (defended in May). It's stressful, but I'm just trying to take it one step at at a time. A couple of sites want so much supplemental stuff that I'm tempted to just drop those sites. But I'm really interested in them.

I third the life intensity rating. I just spent the last 8 hours working on cover letters, 17 of them. Plus at the same time I'm trying to collect data for my dissertation (defended in May). It's stressful, but I'm just trying to take it one step at at a time. A couple of sites want so much supplemental stuff that I'm tempted to just drop those sites. But I'm really interested in them.

I fourth the rating. I also am tempted to drop off some of the sites with the supplemental material. This crap is just so much work.

I fourth the rating. I also am tempted to drop off some of the sites with the supplemental material. This crap is just so much work.
I remember almost applying to a site that had SEVEN supplemental items, including multiple essays, multiple work samples, and an additional application. It wasn't high on my list, so it didn't make the cut....which was probably the motivation for the excessive amount of supplemental materials.

So, we have about a week and a half before the first major deadline for internship applications. How are people doing?
I am reapplying this year and am able to see some distinctions between the paper and online processes. For example, I still have yet to finalize my list of sites, but last year, I had done so by mid-September in order to give recommenders ample time to send me signed and sealed letters. This messageboard was extremely helpful last year. I hope it can be helpful to all you applicants this year as well.

Hopefully the kinks get worked out of the online system, as it potentially can offer a bit of a repreive from some of the stress of waiting in line to mail things, waiting on confirmations of delivery, etc. My local post office knew me and my classmates well by the end of everything.

I just sent out all 15 of my apps! Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch...it feels good to get them off my back...now the waiting game begins!

I just sent out all 15 of my apps! Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch...it feels good to get them off my back...now the waiting game begins!

That's impressive! You got all of them done by the first deadline! Congratulations and good luck!

Hi Everyone. I have a question about submitting applications through the online system. After you submit an application to one designation, can you go back and add more designations later? Or do you have to submit all of the applications at the same time?

Hi Everyone. I have a question about submitting applications through the online system. After you submit an application to one designation, can you go back and add more designations later? Or do you have to submit all of the applications at the same time?

Yes, you can submit different apps at various dates.

I have been submitting 2-3 applications at a time, so yes, you can make mutiple submissions. However, once you submit the first time, you can only add additional cover letters or essays. You cannot tweak anything that has already been submitted.

21 applications out as of last week. I wish that we could at least get confirmation emails that they have received a completed application. I got one from the University of Arizona College of Medicine, but that's it. With everything being so new, I think everyone just wants to make sure that everything goes through correctly on the other end too.

I hate this process. I did it last year too. Too stressful. I better have a good outcome this year.