2010-2011 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be withdrawing soon. Recieved the financial aid letter and it is not good at all. Hope someone else here gets my spot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Hah, mind sharing where you're heading to then?

I haven't quite decided yet. I've been accepted to a few schools including both my state schools and I am waiting for financial aid to help me decide. I will most likely end up at one of my state schools since it seems it will probably be the cheapest. Suny Downstate was nice and I enjoyed my interview day but it's not enough for me to overlook the price.
 
I haven't quite decided yet. I've been accepted to a few schools including both my state schools and I am waiting for financial aid to help me decide. I will most likely end up at one of my state schools since it seems it will probably be the cheapest. Suny Downstate was nice and I enjoyed my interview day but it's not enough for me to overlook the price.

Aww good luck with your decision! All of my state schools rejected me, and even factoring in OOS in NY, Downstate still is only slightly more expensive than my state school..(only bc of the in-state residency starting M2) Of course, all of this is moot b/c I don't have any state school acceptances, haha.

I'll admit cost of living in Brooklyn (the more desirable parts like Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights) is very high compared to other cities, but it's NYC! haha. That can always be reduced by a roommate or two...*that reminds me, I need to try to find a roommate at some point in the near future*
 
Hi Guys,

Congratulations on all the acceptances! I currently live in Prospect Heights/Park Slope in a big 3-bedroom apartment with one roommate. It's literally about 3 stops from SUNY Downstate (where I interviewed last month) and is VERY reasonably priced for the amount of space and the great area - so much so that we only have 2 people in the apartment and are still not paying all that much for New York.

I've officially decided that I am not going to be staying in NY for med school and will be moving out of my apartment in the next couple months. I need to start looking for someone to take over my lease and join my roommate, who is a grad student at Columbia. Seeing these posts about apartment hunting has made me think that my apartment might be a good fit for someone coming to SUNY Downstate!

If you think you might be interested in hearing more about the space, please PM me. Thanks!
 
In your letter of interest, did you state that you needed to stay in NYC because of your significant other? They might be receptive to that especially because one factor they care about is students having a support network in the area.

I did. I mean I've been going to undergraduate in New York, so I talked about how I have formed good friends here as well as my SO. Also, I mentioned that my SO is a transplant patient...so he needs care sometimes.

Right now, I'm just looking at 3rd year transfer :/ hopefully my SO and I can make it
 
I just received their "conditional" aid. It's just direct grad plus loans. Does anyone know if the school offers (merit based or need based) scholarships?

It is my no. 1 in-state school of choice, but it would be really nice if i can pay less. Are there any current students there with any FA experience?
 
I just received their "conditional" aid. It's just direct grad plus loans. Does anyone know if the school offers (merit based or need based) scholarships?

It is my no. 1 in-state school of choice, but it would be really nice if i can pay less. Are there any current students there with any FA experience?

SUNY's rarely if ever offer scholarships or need based aid...
 
SUNY's rarely if ever offer scholarships or need based aid...

The financial aid rep I spoke with made it sound like they do....upwards of 5-10K (as an example for a need-based applicant). Maybe it was just one of those "selling points" to make the school sound attractive from a fin. aid standpoint...
 
@ Asyouwereatrio, you went to 2nd look on 3/9 right? Mind sharing your thoughts on that day and downstate in general? Any new info or things that they shared with applicants?
 
@ Asyouwereatrio, you went to 2nd look on 3/9 right? Mind sharing your thoughts on that day and downstate in general? Any new info or things that they shared with applicants?

Hey, ya I went to Research Day--Admittedly I only attended the first half (shadowing M2s/M1s) and the luncheon--nothing else. I spent the rest of my time in the city, so that was fun. I got a feel for the surrounding area and potential neighborhoods (Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights mainly).

Anyway to answer your question, there were not any formal presentations by admin/faculty other than what was done at the luncheon. We just showed up to the admissions office and they directed us to a waiting room where we talked to other accepted students. I did get a chance to talk a lot of them as well as current medical students whilst I was shadowing them. Honestly, I didn't gain much insight other than particulars about the class schedule and housing off-campus.

I did get clarification from the Admissions Office about In-state residency petitions--the latest we can sign a lease is JULY 2011--because we need 12 months of paperwork and it is all due by July 2012 (6 weeks before school starts/fees are due). Sorry I don't have much more to say--I only flew in to get a "feel" for the school and surrounding area...a lot of what I wanted to say about the area has already been mentioned by a few people above, and it's all pretty "spot on".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll admit cost of living in Brooklyn (the more desirable parts like Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights) is very high compared to other cities, but it's NYC! haha. That can always be reduced by a roommate or two...*that reminds me, I need to try to find a roommate at some point in the near future*

You know there are plenty of neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are very much livable, safe, full of culture, and a hell of lot cheaper than the yuppy neighborhoods you listed right? You're just going ultra-trendy with those picks there boss. Safe your dough! Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, Borough Park are all good places to check out. You will pay a lot less and still have access to the school via public transportation. And if you happen to have your own car, you will be there in 20-30 minutes tops. Forget the yuppy neighborhoods unless you absolutely need to be surrounded by that kind of atmosphere.

Anyhow, research it Sheldon. You will find that the cost of living is not bad at all if you find the right neighborhood to live in and know (or learn) how to cook!
 
How is the parking situation near downstate? Can we buy a permit or something? For all current med students, are there any hot spots (ie specific apartments/condo complexes) that a lot of students concentrate at?
 
You know there are plenty of neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are very much livable, safe, full of culture, and a hell of lot cheaper than the yuppy neighborhoods you listed right? You're just going ultra-trendy with those picks there boss. Safe your dough! Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, Borough Park are all good places to check out. You will pay a lot less and still have access to the school via public transportation. And if you happen to have your own car, you will be there in 20-30 minutes tops. Forget the yuppy neighborhoods unless you absolutely need to be surrounded by that kind of atmosphere.

Anyhow, research it Sheldon. You will find that the cost of living is not bad at all if you find the right neighborhood to live in and know (or learn) how to cook!

Thanks for naming those neighborhoods! I'm not searching for "yuppy" or "trendy"...I'm focusing on a safe place to live that is relatively close to school and along the 2/5 train line. I was just going off of the recommendations made by the students I spoke with, my cousin who lived in Brooklyn Heights, and a quick Google search (during which I came across an article from NY Magazine which had a long list of places to live).

I'm sorry if I offended you with my comment; that was just my impression based on my limited knowledge of the area. I know Brooklyn is large and there are a variety of options to choose from; I just wanted options that were conveniently near school and along one train line. I made my "desirable" comment based only on neighborhoods that were within 15 minutes of school by train...so more or less northwest Brooklyn. I didn't mean to disregard or demean other neighborhoods in the area.
 
Last edited:
Hold for spring review 3/7. Is that different from being waitlisted?

Thanks!

This is considered a "precursor to the alternate list". You will be rereviewed in June and from there you can be accepted, rejected, or placed on the alternate list. Some people get accepted and some don't. All in all, the alternate list is a better place to be on, but there's still a chance.
 
Is downstate still offering interviews?

When is the end of interview cycle for them?

Anyone know?

Just curious. I've yet to hear a word from them.

Hmm i'm not sure; but they do offer interviews one month in advance of the actual interview, so I would think that their interview season is coming to a close, unfortunately. I'm really rootin for you Guju, so I hope you get into your top choice!
 
Thanks for naming those neighborhoods! I'm not searching for "yuppy" or "trendy"...I'm focusing on a safe place to live that is relatively close to school and along the 2/5 train line. I was just going off of the recommendations made by the students I spoke with, my cousin who lived in Brooklyn Heights, and a quick Google search (during which I came across an article from NY Magazine which had a long list of places to live).

I'm sorry if I offended you with my comment; that was just my impression based on my limited knowledge of the area. I know Brooklyn is large and there are a variety of options to choose from; I just wanted options that were conveniently near school and along one train line. I made my "desirable" comment based only on neighborhoods that were within 15 minutes of school by train...so more or less northwest Brooklyn. I didn't mean to disregard or demean other neighborhoods in the area.

No, no, not offended at all. Sorry if my tone seemed a bit, um, grumpy? But yeah, just know that you have plenty of options. the neighborhoods you named are definitely nice, without a doubt. I can only stomach them for a bit though: long enough to run through on my mileage days or stop to have a meal with the lady, then it's back to my hood (which isn't a hood). But if you want to be at the school in 15 minutes by train, your options are limited, mostly to those you listed.
 
No, no, not offended at all. Sorry if my tone seemed a bit, um, grumpy? But yeah, just know that you have plenty of options. the neighborhoods you named are definitely nice, without a doubt. I can only stomach them for a bit though: long enough to run through on my mileage days or stop to have a meal with the lady, then it's back to my hood (which isn't a hood). But if you want to be at the school in 15 minutes by train, your options are limited, mostly to those you listed.

Cool! Thanks for understanding and for your insight. I am curious though--how come you can't "stomach" the area for long?
 
Just got the fin aid award letter today... nothing special. No scholarships or grants, just diff amount spread over perkins, grad plus, sub and unsub loans... The nightmare begins...

@Asyouwereatrio, is your heart set on downstate?
 
Just got the fin aid award letter today... nothing special. No scholarships or grants, just diff amount spread over perkins, grad plus, sub and unsub loans... The nightmare begins...

@Asyouwereatrio, is your heart set on downstate?

I'm going here unless another school gives me a scholarship..and I find out about that...at an unknown time lol.."later in the year" is what they told me. If I don't hear by May 15, I'll withdraw from that other school.

But I guess more or less..like when I speak to others, I just assume Downstate because it's my only financially responsible choice! 🙂 How about you?

I do have a question about your loans--do you have a "gap" b/w your loans and need?
 
When did you interview?

I interviewed December 8th, way back when. No confirmation email after I called/emailed them. Just a nice big packet in the mail a week later saying I'm on the alternate list 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is considered a "precursor to the alternate list". You will be rereviewed in June and from there you can be accepted, rejected, or placed on the alternate list. Some people get accepted and some don't. All in all, the alternate list is a better place to be on, but there's still a chance.

where are you checking your statuses? on the student checklist? i can't seem to find my status page
 
Yes, there is a gap between loans and needs.

This "gap" for me is a negative one. Paying out-of-state 1st year I needed a Grad-Plus loan to cover all my costs, but didn't take out all that was offered. Since then I have just taken out my allotted Stafford Loans, declining the offered Grad-Plus. Never needed a private loan.

Actually, at the end of last year I applied a $5,000 scholarship toward my school costs for the same year (had this much room "leftover" in my student budget according to Fin Aid) and just pocketed the cash.

Your mileage may vary. I live cheaply.
 
This "gap" for me is a negative one. Paying out-of-state 1st year I needed a Grad-Plus loan to cover all my costs, but didn't take out all that was offered. Since then I have just taken out my allotted Stafford Loans, declining the offered Grad-Plus. Never needed a private loan.

Actually, at the end of last year I applied a $5,000 scholarship toward my school costs for the same year (had this much room "leftover" in my student budget according to Fin Aid) and just pocketed the cash.

Your mileage may vary. I live cheaply.

I'm a little bit confused by your post...It sounds like you lived frugally during M1 as an OOS, so you didn't max out your grad plus loans, which is great/ideal! I'm guessing for M2-M4 (once you're in-state), you can take out the max staffords (around 40K) and cover your full COA since living costs + tuition is around that figure? I'd ideally do that, if financially possible..since it's the fiscally most responsible thing to do, IMO. Thanks for any clarification you can offer! 🙂
 
I'm a little bit confused by your post...It sounds like you lived frugally during M1 as an OOS, so you didn't max out your grad plus loans, which is great/ideal! I'm guessing for M2-M4 (once you're in-state), you can take out the max staffords (around 40K) and cover your full COA since living costs + tuition is around that figure? I'd ideally do that, if financially possible..since it's the fiscally most responsible thing to do, IMO. Thanks for any clarification you can offer! 🙂

Exactly. Since becoming in-state, the cost of attendance as determined by the Fin Aid office has been a bit higher than the 40k of Stafford loans and I have been offered a Grad Plus loan to make up this difference, which i have declined each year. By having this "unmet need" (not really) leftover in my student budget I was able to cash in that scholarship at the end of last year, applying it to the same schoolyear, which came straight to me as a refund check for living expenses.
 
Exactly. Since becoming in-state, the cost of attendance as determined by the Fin Aid office has been a bit higher than the 40k of Stafford loans and I have been offered a Grad Plus loan to make up this difference, which i have declined each year. By having this "unmet need" (not really) leftover in my student budget I was able to cash in that scholarship at the end of last year, applying it to the same schoolyear, which came straight to me as a refund check for living expenses.

Aww, awesome! Thanks so much for the clarification! Ideally, that'd be how I manage my finances once I'm in your boat in year or two! 🙂
 
Hmm interviewed first week of Feb but haven't heard back yet..anyone else in the same boat?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I just got a package in the mail announcing me to be on the Alternate List!!

A few quick questions:

1.) There are things I have to do in order to "remain on the list" such as sending transcripts and getting a physical examination. Does this mean that I am on the list at the moment? or does it mean I am not on the list yet until I complete these requirements to stay on?

2.) I know that there is a lot of movement on the list some years, and not much on others, but I can't help myself from asking. As a late march alternate list, what do you think my chances are of getting in?
 
Hey everyone, I just got a package in the mail announcing me to be on the Alternate List!!

A few quick questions:

1.) There are things I have to do in order to "remain on the list" such as sending transcripts and getting a physical examination. Does this mean that I am on the list at the moment? or does it mean I am not on the list yet until I complete these requirements to stay on?

2.) I know that there is a lot of movement on the list some years, and not much on others, but I can't help myself from asking. As a late march alternate list, what do you think my chances are of getting in?

From what I can see it seems like downstate restructured their acceptance/alternates to ensure that they do not overaccept as they did a few years ago. So, they accept their class size in January and alternate list the late interviewees that would have gotten in had they interviewed earlier. This is judging from last years' thread where almost all alternate list members were accepted. I would say you have a great shot; hopefully we'll be classmates next year at downstate.
 
From what I can see it seems like downstate restructured their acceptance/alternates to ensure that they do not overaccept as they did a few years ago. So, they accept their class size in January and alternate list the late interviewees that would have gotten in had they interviewed earlier. This is judging from last years' thread where almost all alternate list members were accepted. I would say you have a great shot; hopefully we'll be classmates next year at downstate.

I hope your right. I sent in all my forms already and a letter of intent. I hope it all helps. GL!
 
What is a yuppie and what is a hipster. I could easily look it up on urban dictionary but I wanted to hear it from you guys.

I have never lived in a town (City) with more than 20k people so forgive me if i'm unfamiliar with the terms.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.