2010-2011 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! :)
Thanks man! I'll probably withdraw from Buffalo in the next few days. I'm sure you'll love it there.
Ahhh, the elusive wanderer will be attending our wonderful institution.
Indeed. Maybe you'll even figure out who I am. :ninja:
Congratulations!
Thanks, I remember corresponding with you several months back. Didn't think we'd end up being classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't really consider the air in NYC to be fresh haha. anyway, i've lived in NYC for years with no AC (finally got it 2 yrs ago). You'll get used to it! =)

i'm just curious if it is typical for people from the east coast (or any other cold area) to blast the heater on during winter? when i interviewed @ downstate, every room seemed to be super hot lol; some ppl were sweating

i'm from california so i'm just wondering...

keep room temperature at around 70 degrees. personally i just wear a lot of clothes if im at home. i dont know about downstate dorms, but in college, we couldn't control the heater..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Have some questions posed more to current students than matriculating students, but I'm happy to receive the knowledge from whomever has it! Was out of the country traveling when I got the news that I'd been accepted off the hold list, and am not back in NY yet to review my interview notes from SUNY-D-- anyone know the answers to these?

-When are exams generally scheduled? After a quick review of the online 2010-2011 academic calendar, it looks like Monday exams are more common than Friday exams, but wanted to check.
-I'm pretty sure lectures are streamed online. Are they also downloadable? And, are lecture notes provided?
-Is it common for required attendance classes to be held on Fridays or Mondays? I see that CBL's are on the academic calendar; is attendance mandatory?
-Is it necessary or even very helpful to have a car to get to affiliate hospitals during 3rd & 4th years?

Thanks so much!!

Another question for a current student if possible --

Coming from someone who did not take biochem in college, how well do I need to know the biochemistry review materials that they recommend in the orientation package prior to the first day of classes? Should I try to know it inside and out? I don't mind studying it meticulously if it will actually be useful... any advice? Thanks!

how necessary is a personal printer??

I have one, but that's because I plan on printing out lecture slides or notes (whichever is provided) and annotating directly on them. I also need a printer for personal use lol...because I print random stuff all the time (and live off campus)

Withdrew today-- super-tough decision. Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear.

First day on the wards today and I just found out that theyre trying a 7AM start time for the first time this year FFFUUUUUU

First day on the wards today and I just found out that theyre trying a 7AM start time for the first time this year FFFUUUUUU

ouch, what time is it usually? how are you liking the wards so far?

Hi everyone,

I just faxed in info about my second PPD and my Tdap, and they were cleared off the checklist.
Should I email them an update and mention that these were cleared?

I know, silly question. But I am wondering if it is Student Health that clears these checklists and the admissions office keeps no alerts of who becomes "complete."

Hi everyone,

I just faxed in info about my second PPD and my Tdap, and they were cleared off the checklist.
Should I email them an update and mention that these were cleared?

I know, silly question. But I am wondering if it is Student Health that clears these checklists and the admissions office keeps no alerts of who becomes "complete."

I wouldn't worry about it-I'm sure they have a master checklist, or in the least, some way to keep track of the items on the checklist. If you were really antsy about it, you can def email the office to let them know, but I think it's unnecessary.

Thanks!
The game is almost over and I just want to see if there's anything I can do to get anything moving.

I am also contemplating sending them another letter of intent addressed to the office of admissions (my last one was addressed to the dean of admissions).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!
The game is almost over and I just want to see if there's anything I can do to get anything moving.

I am also contemplating sending them another letter of intent addressed to the office of admissions (my last one was addressed to the dean of admissions).
Honestly I doubt a LOI makes a difference, especially at this point. I know of a few people this year and last that got in without updates/LOIs so I don't think they care all that much for updates/LOIs (unless they ask you for one, which they do sometimes). Though it never hurts to try.

ouch, what time is it usually? how are you liking the wards so far?

Now that I'm actually taking patients, I am so much happier, even with a 7am start. 3rd year rocks!:cool:

Another question for a current student if possible --

Coming from someone who did not take biochem in college, how well do I need to know the biochemistry review materials that they recommend in the orientation package prior to the first day of classes? Should I try to know it inside and out? I don't mind studying it meticulously if it will actually be useful... any advice? Thanks!

I also didn't take biochem in undergrad, but you'll be fine when they teach it in the Fall. The packet wasn't really helpful for me.

Hi All,

Have some questions posed more to current students than matriculating students, but I'm happy to receive the knowledge from whomever has it! Was out of the country traveling when I got the news that I'd been accepted off the hold list, and am not back in NY yet to review my interview notes from SUNY-D-- anyone know the answers to these?

-When are exams generally scheduled? After a quick review of the online 2010-2011 academic calendar, it looks like Monday exams are more common than Friday exams, but wanted to check.
-I'm pretty sure lectures are streamed online. Are they also downloadable? And, are lecture notes provided?
-Is it common for required attendance classes to be held on Fridays or Mondays? I see that CBL's are on the academic calendar; is attendance mandatory?
-Is it necessary or even very helpful to have a car to get to affiliate hospitals during 3rd & 4th years?

Thanks so much!!

1. Exams are scheduled depending on the block directors, so either Monday or Friday as you stated.
2. Lectures are NOT streamed online, but you can download podcasts and transcripts. Podcasts are available the day lectures are taught and transcripts are available a few days after. Lecture notes will be printed out for you.
3. Required attendance can be any day of the week. Attendance is taken during all CBL sessions.
4. Having a car is definitely very helpful, but some students said it's possible without a car (carpool, mass transit).

Current students: for anyone living elsewhere in the city and commuting daily, is there a reasonably safe place to lock up a bicycle? Thanks.

What the hell is going on with the 10% increase in tuition? You can't advertise a tuition price, and have students decide on schools based on cost and then increase tuition after they've already committed to a school. I oppose this hike on a matter of principal...

What the hell is going on with the 10% increase in tuition? You can't advertise a tuition price, and have students decide on schools based on cost and then increase tuition after they've already committed to a school. I oppose this hike on a matter of principal...

Let me start off by saying I TOTALLY AGREE with you that the timing of this tuition increase is very strange/unreasonable, but I think it's totally "legitimate" on the basis of how the entire SUNY system operates. The tuition increase was effective at the beginning of July, which is presumably the beginning of their new fiscal year. Within the new fiscal year is the upcoming Fall semester, so unfortunately, it's something we have to deal with as students. I don't know about your situation personally, but I would say since the increase was SUNY-wide, I don't know if the increase would have influenced your decision to attend another school, since IS SUNY tuition is still lower than most, if not all, private medical school tuition.

I just loved the phrase that went something like this "don't worry, Financial Aid is going to help you out with MORE LOANS"...I'm like, ****, I don't want MORE LOANS...I'm OOS, so this 10% increase was like 5k lol...ugh.

Anyway, I believe I read somewhere that it's going to rise a steady 10% from now til 2015, so we should brace ourselves for a consistent increase of 3-5K depending on whether one is IS or OOS.

Let me start off by saying I TOTALLY AGREE with you that the timing of this tuition increase is very strange/unreasonable, but I think it's totally "legitimate" on the basis of how the entire SUNY system operates. The tuition increase was effective at the beginning of July, which is presumably the beginning of their new fiscal year. Within the new fiscal year is the upcoming Fall semester, so unfortunately, it's something we have to deal with as students. I don't know about your situation personally, but I would say since the increase was SUNY-wide, I don't know if the increase would have influenced your decision to attend another school, since IS SUNY tuition is still lower than most, if not all, private medical school tuition.

I just loved the phrase that went something like this "don't worry, Financial Aid is going to help you out with MORE LOANS"...I'm like, ****, I don't want MORE LOANS...I'm OOS, so this 10% increase was like 5k lol...ugh.

Anyway, I believe I read somewhere that it's going to rise a steady 10% from now til 2015, so we should brace ourselves for a consistent increase of 3-5K depending on whether one is IS or OOS.

The SUNY administrators could have easily made this tuition increase for Fall 2012. SUNY medical school tuition has tripled over a decade; how the hell are we supposed to make a living when tuition costs are rising while reimbursements aren't? That and GME funding is now going to get cut...who knows what's going to happen to our salaries as residents? This is straight up bull****.

The SUNY administrators could have easily made this tuition increase for Fall 2012. SUNY medical school tuition has tripled over a decade; how the hell are we supposed to make a living when tuition costs are rising while reimbursements aren't? That and GME funding is now going to get cut...who knows what's going to happen to our salaries as residents? This is straight up bull****.

You're right, they could have--but coming from California, where tuition increases of 10-20% per year have become commonplace for the past decade, I'm used to whopping punches in the face. When I started at my undergrad, I was paying ($2600/quarter, or $7800 per year). My last quarter, three years and three months later, I paid $3900/quarter, or $11,700 per year).

Where I'm coming from, both literally and figuratively, is that all state-run entities are desperate for money, so at the end of the day, we can't really do anything other than pay and complain about it.

Also, looking at the big picture, Downstate IS tuition, even with 10% annual increases, is still cheaper than most private schools--so you guys still are better off than most. Look at the University of Illinois COM, their OOS tuition is 70K/year (TUITION ONLY)..and they don't have a chance to apply for IS tuition rates.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if we need to buy our own refrigerator for the dorms. And are we allowed to have microwaves?

Thanks

Sorry to know about your OOS situation regarding the tuition increase. I know it's something we have to suck it up, but thinking what we have to face later on in addition to the incredible amount of debt is really...speechless.

Sorry to know about your OOS situation regarding the tuition increase. I know it's something we have to suck it up, but thinking what we have to face later on in addition to the incredible amount of debt is really...speechless.

Thanks for your words. I personally don't think that we're facing an "incredible amount of debt". I mean, maybe it's because I'm from California where half of the applicants have to go elsewhere (usually to private schools), so I definitely was prepared to go to a school in which the cost would be 70k/year x 4 years. To compare that amount to Downstate's cost, I'm still saving quite a bit--so maybe that's why my view differs from most. It'll be nice next year to get state residency and pay IS rates! :)

Does anyone know if Downstate has summer research fellowship positions after MS1 that are offered overseas like in Israel or something?

Does anyone know if Downstate has summer research fellowship positions after MS1 that are offered overseas like in Israel or something?

There is some money from the alumni association available to fund research projects you can probably organize with advisors at other institutions. A student recently spent a year in New Zealand with this funding (i think it was 30k), for example. Many people spend the summer after MS1 working on some project or another with these funds, usually with Downstate faculty. You have to come up with a reasonable proposal for a project before they'll fund you but I don't think it's too competitive.

There are many other fellowships available for US medical students regardless of where you attend school. Student Affairs periodically recommends some of these in newsletters, but you would probably do best researching opportunities on your own rather than waiting for someone at Downstate to tell you about them if you are really interested.

Current students: for anyone living elsewhere in the city and commuting daily, is there a reasonably safe place to lock up a bicycle? Thanks.

Bike parking is available behind the dorm guard gate (very safe, pretty much don't even need a lock), in the parking garage (pretty safe, guard in eyeshot who isn't responsible for your bike but is a deterrent nonetheless), and on the sidewalk (safe as anywhere else in nyc). County has a bike rack out front too.

I actually park on the sidewalk a lot depending where I'm going - a lot of people are around in the day and someone hacksawing my u-lock or stripping my bike would probably draw a lot of attention.

More and more people (though still a small minority) are bike commuting. You save a lot of money on Metrocards over the course of the year.

They can and will. And will again while you're in school. Maybe we can get some NYU undergrads to protest on our behalf? They could occupy the cafeteria.

how necessary is a personal printer??

Not absolutely necessary as you can always print at school (not free, but reasonably priced) but it's a convenient thing to have at home generally, not just for med school.

4. Having a car is definitely very helpful, but some students said it's possible without a car (carpool, mass transit).

You have some control over selection of your rotation sites (you rank preferences and are assigned). A couple sites require a car, but if you don't have a car and are assigned one of these you can work out a trade or something for a site you can reach via MTA.

Not sure how many people have cars - I'd guess 25% maybe

i'm just curious if it is typical for people from the east coast (or any other cold area) to blast the heater on during winter? when i interviewed @ downstate, every room seemed to be super hot lol; some ppl were sweating

i'm from california so i'm just wondering...

I think many agree the worst part about Downstate is the facilities. Climate control is a problem sometimes but you deal.

County is a lot nicer, actually, since the building is so new - for 3rd/4th year.

re: the gym. The Downstate gym has a pool, weight room (free weights and machines), cardio machines (treadmills, etc), and basketball courts. Facilities not the nicest but it works.

More and more people (though still a small minority) are bike commuting. You save a lot of money on Metrocards over the course of the year.

Just remember to weigh your pros and cons before you start investing in a bike. Sure, it'll save you money instead of buying metrocards, but it comes with a risk. Bike accidents (even with a helmet), fatalities, weather conditions, road conditions, not to mention the area near Downstate have the worst possible drivers. With that said, there are people who still bike regardless. You just have to decide for yourself what's more important to you, saving costs or safety.

Just remember to weigh your pros and cons before you start investing in a bike. Sure, it'll save you money instead of buying metrocards, but it comes with a risk. Bike accidents (even with a helmet), fatalities, weather conditions, road conditions, not to mention the area near Downstate have the worst possible drivers. With that said, there are people who still bike regardless. You just have to decide for yourself what's more important to you, saving costs or safety.

You save a chunk of change by going to school in East Flatbush vs. Valhalla. You know, "fatalities." Just sayin.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if we need to buy our own refrigerator for the dorms. And are we allowed to have microwaves?

Thanks

My friend goes to downstate. She bought her own mini fridge. It seems pretty common. When I helped her move in, I saw some students selling their old fridges.

I actually park on the sidewalk a lot depending where I'm going - a lot of people are around in the day and someone hacksawing my u-lock or stripping my bike would probably draw a lot of attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa3NVfFlEU

Status
Not open for further replies.