You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 SUNY Downstate Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
have you applied for dorms? and if you have, have you heard anything from their office yet?I can't seem to find anything affordable in brooklyn or lower manhattan. I think I might stick with the dorms first year.
I can't seem to find anything affordable in brooklyn or lower manhattan. I think I might stick with the dorms first year.
👍👍👍👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an email from residential life saying room assignments will be emailed around June 7th and that up to that point, which was around a week ago, people have been getting their first preference as long as their forms were in on time 🙂
I got an email from residential life saying room assignments will be emailed around June 7th and that up to that point, which was around a week ago, people have been getting their first preference as long as their forms were in on time 🙂
Generally people don't have a problem getting the type of room they want.
When you all get your room assignments, post em up so we can see who's in the best building (825!)
I can't seem to find anything affordable in brooklyn or lower manhattan. I think I might stick with the dorms first year.
Hmm, it depends on your budget. I'd say that a "nice" place (roomy) will cost you approximately 1400-1500 per person in Park Slope/BH/FiDi. It'd be awesome to know more people who live outside of the dorms! 🙂
Haha I feel like Vulcan is pro-dorm and I'm pro-off campus housing! Who will win this tug of war? 😛
Hmm, it depends on your budget. I'd say that a "nice" place (roomy) will cost you approximately 1400-1500 per person in Park Slope/BH/FiDi. It'd be awesome to know more people who live outside of the dorms! 🙂
Haha I feel like Vulcan is pro-dorm and I'm pro-off campus housing! Who will win this tug of war? 😛
You can get a 1500 dollar apt, but with two people you might still be in a crappy neighborhood. Furthermore, it depends on what you are getting; a flex two or a true two bedroom? How many square feet? Add a monthly metro pass to the price and you're looking at another 100 bucks a month. It just adds up.
I'm still goin back and forth, TBH. Not entirely shore where I'll be living next august.
Last edited:
I can't seem to find anything affordable in brooklyn or lower manhattan. I think I might stick with the dorms first year.
After some serious thought and intense debate with my parents, I am going to dorm the first year too! The dorm is awesome!
After some serious thought and intense debate with my parents, I am going to dorm the first year too! The dorm is awesome!
👍👍👍👍
.....don't worry trio...if they end up disliking the dorms all my credibility will go out the window and you can arrange for them to move off campus 😛
👍👍👍👍
.....don't worry trio...if they end up disliking the dorms all my credibility will go out the window and you can arrange for them to move off campus 😛
Haha, but seriously the floorplans for the dorms make me sad 🙁
You can get a 1500 dollar apt, but with two people you might still be in a crappy neighborhood. Furthermore, it depends on what you are getting; a flex two or a true two bedroom? How many square feet? Add a monthly metro pass to the price and you're looking at another 100 bucks a month. It just adds up.
I'm still goin back and forth, TBH. Not entirely shore where I'll be living next august.
Oh, it's not a 1500 apt that I'm talking about (unless it's a single). I just meant that it's about 1500 per person when all is said and done in Park Slope or other similar neighbourhoods (utilities, internet, transit card). That's "about" what I think I'm paying; I'll find out at the end of July when all the bills come in and my roomie and I split **** down the middle. 🙂 (I know, it really does add up though!...eek!)
It's reallly up to what you want out of the living experience. If you want an "on campus" and "make friends" experience AND no hassle of finding an apt, then I vote dorm. Hell, I'd dorm if I could, simply because it's hassle-free, but I am OOS, so I can't 🙁
If you want the true "NYC" life, then live off campus! I assume you're from NYC, so Idk what you're looking for exactly. I am thinking living off campus in a "trendier" part of BK is going to be more expensive than the dorms, so that's something to consider as well. I'm sure that's something you already knew though 🙂
👍👍👍👍
.....don't worry trio...if they end up disliking the dorms all my credibility will go out the window and you can arrange for them to move off campus 😛
Haha, I should open up a brokerage just for Downstate med students to find apartments. I could totally undercut the NYC agents by charging 8% or 10% of the annual rent...those guys charge up the ass! 🙁
Haha, but seriously the floorplans for the dorms make me sad 🙁
When I stayed with a student host, I didn't notice anything "odd" about the dorm floor plans. I was in a nice roomy single suite with bathroom and kitchen en-suite. It was really nice and cozy! What don't you like about them?
Oh, it's not a 1500 apt that I'm talking about (unless it's a single). I just meant that it's about 1500 per person when all is said and done in Park Slope or other similar neighbourhoods (utilities, internet, transit card). That's "about" what I think I'm paying; I'll find out at the end of July when all the bills come in and my roomie and I split **** down the middle. 🙂 (I know, it really does add up though!...eek!)
It's reallly up to what you want out of the living experience. If you want an "on campus" and "make friends" experience AND no hassle of finding an apt, then I vote dorm. Hell, I'd dorm if I could, simply because it's hassle-free, but I am OOS, so I can't 🙁
If you want the true "NYC" life, then live off campus! I assume you're from NYC, so Idk what you're looking for exactly. I am thinking living off campus in a "trendier" part of BK is going to be more expensive than the dorms, so that's something to consider as well. I'm sure that's something you already knew though 🙂
Haha, I should open up a brokerage just for Downstate med students to find apartments. I could totally undercut the NYC agents by charging 8% or 10% of the annual rent...those guys charge up the ass! 🙁
When I stayed with a student host, I didn't notice anything "odd" about the dorm floor plans. I was in a nice roomy single suite with bathroom and kitchen en-suite. It was really nice and cozy! What don't you like about them?
Really? The studios look on the small size, i.e., 300 ft^2, and the standard rooms are even smaller w/ no kitchen. I guess I have to check it out myself. Will they let me take a gander if I visit?
Edit: Also curious where you would stay over the summer if you plan on doing research or something, since the dorms are until the end of may.
Last edited:
Really? The studios look on the small size, i.e., 300 ft^2, and the standard rooms are even smaller w/ no kitchen. I guess I have to check it out myself. Will they let me take a gander if I visit?
Edit: Also curious where you would stay over the summer if you plan on doing research or something, since the dorms are until the end of may.
I live in a studio and I've never had space problems. They're pretty nice if you're willing to shell out for them.
Really? The studios look on the small size, i.e., 300 ft^2, and the standard rooms are even smaller w/ no kitchen. I guess I have to check it out myself. Will they let me take a gander if I visit?
Edit: Also curious where you would stay over the summer if you plan on doing research or something, since the dorms are until the end of may.
You can call the residence hall and they arrange for someone to take you around the dorms and let you visit each type of room. Also, I think they let you stay in the dorms for an extra cost during the summer. When I went to the residence halls, they gave me a paper with the 2011 prices and I'm pretty sure I saw something under summer session.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really? The studios look on the small size, i.e., 300 ft^2, and the standard rooms are even smaller w/ no kitchen. I guess I have to check it out myself. Will they let me take a gander if I visit?
Edit: Also curious where you would stay over the summer if you plan on doing research or something, since the dorms are until the end of may.
Haha, well at the time, I didn't care about living space size, but yes, they were on the small side now that I think about it. Space wasn't an issue for me at the time, since I was "travelling"..I guess I didn't really pay attention to it because I knew I wouldn't be living there as an OOS student.
Like a poster said, you can always sublet..possibly even my place if you wanted, since I *may or may not* be staying for the summer. (Granted, that's too far away to really think about with any form of certainty).
Decided on studio double. wonder who my roommate will be..
Decided on studio double. wonder who my roommate will be..
Congrats on a housing decision!...I didn't know you would be attending Downstate, at least based on what you wrote in your MDApps. 🙂
Congrats on a housing decision!...I didn't know you would be attending Downstate, at least based on what you wrote in your MDApps. 🙂
oh that was made in like december w/ projections
oh that was made in like december w/ projections
LOL, you "projected" you'd "attend interview, rejected" at those schools? That's something I haven't seen before, haha...but it's good to know I'll be seeing you in the fall! 🙂
LOL, you "projected" you'd "attend interview, rejected" at those schools? That's something I haven't seen before, haha...but it's good to know I'll be seeing you in the fall! 🙂
Yup! Are you in the facebook group? I requested to join and still haven't been accepted yet...
Decided on studio double. wonder who my roommate will be..
Hmmm, I hope your roomy doesn't snore 🙂
I was going to get a single but after seeing how much cheaper doubles were, i had to get it... though I've had very bad double experiences in college. I can NOT sleep w/ light on or sound (even w/ earplugs). One of my roommates in college slept at 7-8 am everyday and he slept in front of his computer in a chair.
Hmmm, I hope your roomy doesn't snore 🙂
Worst case scenario you just diagnose them with obstructive sleep apnea and put them on a CPAP 🙂
Yup! Are you in the facebook group? I requested to join and still haven't been accepted yet...
Depends on which FB group, there are two! 🙂 One is controlled by Stud Affairs and who knows how long they take 😛...the other, I'm not too sure how it works lol.
I was going to get a single but after seeing how much cheaper doubles were, i had to get it... though I've had very bad double experiences in college. I can NOT sleep w/ light on or sound (even w/ earplugs). One of my roommates in college slept at 7-8 am everyday and he slept in front of his computer in a chair.
Yikes! makes me happpy I have my own bedroom...although if anything, I'm the crazy one that sleep talks about my personal life 😛...I did that the night before an interview and my friend who was sleeping with me heard everything! She later told me she would've recorded it if she got to her phone fast enough!
Depends on which FB group, there are two! 🙂 One is controlled by Stud Affairs and who knows how long they take 😛...the other, I'm not too sure how it works lol.
Yikes! makes me happpy I have my own bedroom...although if anything, I'm the crazy one that sleep talks about my personal life 😛...I did that the night before an interview and my friend who was sleeping with me heard everything! She later told me she would've recorded it if she got to her phone fast enough!
Wow thats cool, i wish my roommates were that awesome. On a side note, does anyone know if its same gender roommate placing or random?
Wow thats cool, i wish my roommates were that awesome. On a side note, does anyone know if its same gender roommate placing or random?
Pretty sure its same gender within rooms unless its a married couple room.
The classic single/double floors are same gender floors. The studio/apartment floors are mixed gender floors.
Haha, but seriously the floorplans for the dorms make me sad 🙁
Oh come on man, they're not THAT bad. 😀
Oh come on man, they're not THAT bad. 😀
Yeah, seriously, it's not bad at all. And the view is pretty good too (the last one i visit was facing the tennis court). But it's getting hot, I don't know how I can survive once august is here, lol.
Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck everyone!
+1 - Best of luck!
Depends on which FB group, there are two! 🙂 One is controlled by Stud Affairs and who knows how long they take 😛...the other, I'm not too sure how it works lol.
Yikes! makes me happpy I have my own bedroom...although if anything, I'm the crazy one that sleep talks about my personal life 😛...I did that the night before an interview and my friend who was sleeping with me heard everything! She later told me she would've recorded it if she got to her phone fast enough!
I think i keep getting denied to the group w/ 99 members on facebook. The request to join button keeps lighting up even though I clicked it already -_-
ahh this decision will kill me. i wish i wasn't so spoiled or I would've chosen a single studio and had it done with already.
FIrst year - go with single studio man, we can focus study more. Years after that, then we think about double or living outside. I mean, who knows what will happen in the first year, and the one thing i want is a place that I can sleep calmly like a little baby.
FIrst year - go with single studio man, we can focus study more. Years after that, then we think about double or living outside. I mean, who knows what will happen in the first year, and the one thing i want is a place that I can sleep calmly like a little baby.
My thoughts exactly. Gave in my housing deposit today for my studio single. 😀
Vulcan,
Are there communal kitchens for students living in classic rooms or do I need to have a studio to have access to a kitchen? If I will cook often, would you recommend getting a studio instead of a classic single?
Thanks
Are there communal kitchens for students living in classic rooms or do I need to have a studio to have access to a kitchen? If I will cook often, would you recommend getting a studio instead of a classic single?
Thanks
Also Vulcan, do you know if out of state students can move into the dorms for second year after getting NY residency in first year and keep their NY residency status? Do you know any out of staters who moved into the dorms for second year?
Thanks!
Thanks!
Vulcan,
Are there communal kitchens for students living in classic rooms or do I need to have a studio to have access to a kitchen? If I will cook often, would you recommend getting a studio instead of a classic single?
Thanks
There is indeed a communal kitchen for each classic single/double floor. There is also one kitchen in each building's common room.
I know a few people who cooked fairly often in those communal kitchens...but it really depends on if you mind having to go cook out there each night and also if you're willing to shell out for the studio.
Also keep in mind the cooking time will be greatly decreased once the year gets rolling.
Also Vulcan, do you know if out of state students can move into the dorms for second year after getting NY residency in first year and keep their NY residency status? Do you know any out of staters who moved into the dorms for second year?
Thanks!
I don't know anyone who did that personally, but I don't see why it would be an issue. That being said, give in a call to reslife just to be sure.
There is indeed a communal kitchen for each classic single/double floor. There is also one kitchen in each building's common room.
I know a few people who cooked fairly often in those communal kitchens...but it really depends on if you mind having to go cook out there each night and also if you're willing to shell out for the studio.
Also keep in mind the cooking time will be greatly decreased once the year gets rolling.
That's interesting, I didn't know they had a communal kitchen for the classic singles. I'm a big cooker and have already created a menu for the year
, so for me, the studio is worth it (cooking is "me time").single studio is so expensive @.@, how can you guys afford that!
single studio is so expensive @.@, how can you guys afford that!
I can't. I have to take out loans.
That's interesting, I didn't know they had a communal kitchen for the classic singles. I'm a big cooker and have already created a menu for the year, so for me, the studio is worth it (cooking is "me time").
oh man, my stomach is hungry already, please allow me to sneak in and eat sometimes!
single studio is so expensive @.@, how can you guys afford that!
I'm a hooker 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't. I have to take out loans.
+1...full loans + parental support is how I'm affording to live in BK. 🙁
I may have to resort to Vulcan's 2nd day job. 😛
oh man, my stomach is hungry already, please allow me to sneak in and eat sometimes!
Of course! I'll make lasagne or something sometime and invite you peeps over.
I think i keep getting denied to the group w/ 99 members on facebook. The request to join button keeps lighting up even though I clicked it already -_-
Hmm, I THINK that's the official Downstate group...it's weird that they're denying you...maybe they secretly don't want you at school with us. lol..kidding. 😍 Honestly though, that group doesn't have much going on in it..just some very general/basic info.
Of course! I'll make lasagne or something sometime and invite you peeps over.
::likes where this is going:: I can provide test advice!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.