2010-2011 Tufts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

it has been quiet on this thread... I guess no secondaries yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
it has been quiet on this thread... I guess no secondaries yet?

Just checked last year's thread. They sent it out 7/23 last year... which is TODAY, lol. Maybe we'll get it in the next few hours? If it's the same question, then I should be good to go and will submit tonight. YAY :)

I called the Admissions Office this morning. They said they won't be sending the secondary out for another 2 weeks or so.

I called the Admissions Office this morning. They said they won't be sending the secondary out for another 2 weeks or so.

Thanks for calling. Been wondering myself since it was sent out 3rd week of July last year.

Does anyone else feel like Tufts waiting so long to send out secondaries defeats the purpose of applying early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else feel like Tufts waiting so long to send out secondaries defeats the purpose of applying early?

I am with you. But just imagine how I feel about my school not sending any Committee Letters....yet !!!!

Haha. I feel stupid for sending in 2ndaries REALLY EARLY to school that don't act on it until much later and not sending in to schools that get their wheel rolling really early on.

Holy crap. Thank you SDN. For once you relieve my paranoid musings. I thought they already rejected me, not sending me a secondary when I was verified like 2 weeks ago.

Anyone having trouble accessing the secondary? Just got it today, but can't get it to load. :(

Just so everybody knows, you don't really need to receive the email to start the secondary. I put in my email and the auto system sent me a password. It worked and brought up a secondary app very similar to Creighton's.

Did anybody else receive 5 copies of the secondary email?

Edit - make it 6, they keep rolling in!

Last edited:
1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (If yes, 1000 char)

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? (If yes, 1000 char)

3. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) (If yes, 1000 char)

4. Is any member of your family a graduate of TUSM or a current member of our faculty? (If yes, secondary questions follow)

5. I have read and understand the Technical Standards of TUSM and can comply with those requirements.

Received and submitted, pretty simple :)

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (If yes, 1000 char)

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? (If yes, 1000 char)

3. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) (If yes, 1000 char)

4. Is any member of your family a graduate of TUSM or a current member of our faculty? (If yes, secondary questions follow)

5. I have read and understand the Technical Standards of TUSM and can comply with those requirements.

Thanks for posting these! Since TUSM hasn't sent it to me, I can get an early start...and now I know they want to know about my family's legacy at TUSM. Woot!

This is on the header:

Please answer the following questions with information that is appropriate to your own situation. If the answer is “no”, that is perfectly acceptable. Most applicants apply to many schools to optimize the likelihood of admissions. We understand this. If however, there is something you would like us to know, please share the details with us. (Note: question #5 REQUIRES a response from you in order for your application to be certified.)

I'm a bit struck by question 2, however. Everyone will contribute somehow to the diversity of the campus. So what are we talking about when we say "diversity". Race? Nationality? Religious heritage? Your awesome tennis backhand? As a white male in my twenties from the suburbs, I'm almost tempted to just say no.

This is on the header:

Please answer the following questions with information that is appropriate to your own situation. If the answer is “no”, that is perfectly acceptable. Most applicants apply to many schools to optimize the likelihood of admissions. We understand this. If however, there is something you would like us to know, please share the details with us. (Note: question #5 REQUIRES a response from you in order for your application to be certified.)

I'm a bit struck by question 2, however. Everyone will contribute somehow to the diversity of the campus. So what are we talking about when we say "diversity". Race? Nationality? Religious heritage? Your awesome tennis backhand? As a white male in my twenties from the suburbs, I'm almost tempted to just say no.

Ahhhh, this is what makes it such an interesting question young grasshoppahhh! ;)

This is on the header:

I believe that, similar to other schools with this question, they are looking for any way that you will contribute to the diversity of the school. This can be a unique hobby, your culture, your experiences... literally anything.

Just got this in too - considering my AMCAS is yet to be verified, I'm guessing this is one of them that is blasted to everyone that applies? At least it's a simple one :)

As long as we're on the subject, I'd like some pointers on question one as well. I'm not really sure what I would like to tell the admissions committee that I haven't told them. When they say that it's really alright that you don't include something in the given box, do they actually mean what they say? I know I have blemishes on my application but feel like the personal statement covers me pretty well, and I'd rather not draw more attention to them. Further, I'd rather not pad my application with an "I think I should go to med school because" essay, those are usually forced and come off as pretentious.

Any tips?

WTH... i typed my responses into the text box and it still says it has MSWORD format problems?!?

As long as we're on the subject, I'd like some pointers on question one as well. I'm not really sure what I would like to tell the admissions committee that I haven't told them. When they say that it's really alright that you don't include something in the given box, do they actually mean what they say? I know I have blemishes on my application but feel like the personal statement covers me pretty well, and I'd rather not draw more attention to them. Further, I'd rather not pad my application with an "I think I should go to med school because" essay, those are usually forced and come off as pretentious.

Any tips?

Add anything to your application that you think would be beneficial to Tufts AdCom in knowing when they consider you as an applicant...any learning experiences, etc. that have been formative or make yourself a better candidate.

That was my approach. It seems you've "maxed out" the things you can say in your application, so you might not have something to say. It won't be detrimental to your application...

Man, I haven't gotten this secondary yet and I was varified June 15. This school and U Miami are killing me.

Any tips?

I personally used it to explain a period where my grades were lower due to an extraneous circumstance.

Does anybody know if its worth it to apply to the maine program if not a maine resident or college student? It seems really interesting, but I dont want to waste my time if there really isn't a shot.

Any tips?

I used this as an opportunity to address why I applied to Tufts Specifically

just submitted. such a nice and easy secondary.

I took time to update them on current activities. For the diversity -- I talked about stuff not mentioned anywhere else in my application.

Still can't access website.

I got this link when I got invited to complete a secondary:

http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/md/howtoapply/secondary.html

but can't open the link in the middle of the page. Can someone help?

I called and left a message already with the school :(

I'm not sure if this will help you BUT the website is:
https://www.oasprod3.com/Schools/TUFTSSom/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Schools/TUFTSSOM/default.aspx
which claims to be designed for internet explorer. For me it works on Firefox and Chrome as well.

Can anyone familiar with the school comment on why they are so expensive? Does the extra money go towards you as a student (technology costs, facilities, etc.) , or otherwise? I would love to go here but the average student indebtedness is $193,000. That's a lot! :eek:

Does AMCAS send LOR electronically or by physical copy?

Has anyone that submitted had their letters downloaded by Tufts? I'm just curious so I can know if there is something "wrong" lol...I doubt it can be screwed up on either side, it was a matter of checking a box and filling out information haha...maybe I'm just paranoid.

Has anyone that submitted had their letters downloaded by Tufts? I'm just curious so I can know if there is something "wrong" lol...I doubt it can be screwed up on either side, it was a matter of checking a box and filling out information haha...maybe I'm just paranoid.

Nope, my letters are still not received either.

is the site down for anyone else? can't submit!

Mine's are downloaded. It was quick...2 or 3 day turnaround after submission.

Just submitted. Interesting how I had something to say for each of their question. "Well, since you ask..." LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.