2010-2011 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of late with this reply and I may be wrong, but I thought if you apply ED you can still apply to other schools in June like you normally would. The only difference is if you are accepted then you must withdraw your other applications, but if you are not accepted ED then you go into the regular applicant pool and are still in other schools' pools. Can anyone clarify on this?

I met with Dean Heinrich and he told me to consider applying early decision next cycle so I am most likely going to go ahead with it because NJMS is my top choice.

Nope, you can't even send in your other apps until you hear back from your ED school - so basically you can't send in secondaries until October 1. What a great way to shoot yourself in the foot if you don't get in. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, you can't even send in your other apps until you hear back from your ED school - so basically you can't send in secondaries until October 1. What a great way to shoot yourself in the foot if you don't get in. :scared:

Wow, From looking at the website, it seems you are right. I wonder what I should do then because Dean Heinrich told me I should consider applying ED because I am a pretty good applicant and I was close to getting an acceptance this cycle. However, I don't want to possibly not get accepted and ruin my chances at every other school and for the entire cycle. Does anyone have any experience in this or know people who went through this?

Dean Heinrich suggested that I would be a good applicant last year when I met also. I applied ED in July and I was accepted the first week of August. It saved me the hassle of going the whole admission cycle because there was no doubt in my mind that NJMS was the school I wanted to go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, its correct that you cannot apply to other schools unless you are rejected ED, which schools have until either October 1st or October 15th to do. But from a practical stand point, most schools, and especially the admissions team at NJMS realize this. One of the things Dean Heinrich did assure me was whether I get in or not, my application will be looked at completely and promptly. Given that I applied later as it is (Late July rather than Early June), it's remarkable that I had a decision by the beginning of August. He wasn't kidding.

August is semi-late to be submitting primaries, but the good thing is your only adding schools because your Amcas is already approved (which happens in like an a few hours vs. a 3-4 weeks because you get ED priority). So theoretically its like applying in the beginning of July to the other schools if you get a decision by the beginning of August.

My advice is that if you decide to apply ED, do it as early as possible. Keep in touch with Dean Heinrich, he is extremely helpful. And be ready to add other schools to your AMCAS and start to fill out secondaries for those other schools on your list if things don't go your way.

hey does anyone know if we have to send a formal acceptance to admissions

You have to send the deposit, which counts as the formal acceptance

have they said what the cost of attendance will be for 2011-12? i can only find 2010-11 on their site. i'm pretty sure they're increasing tuition this year.

have they said what the cost of attendance will be for 2011-12? i can only find 2010-11 on their site. i'm pretty sure they're increasing tuition this year.

any current students on this board?

Got my fin. aid package from here. All loans so hasta la vista NJMS. withdrew a few days ago. good luck to those still waiting to hear back.

Did you guys recieve the revised financial aid package or the preliminary one?

i only received the pre-lim, but i sent an e-mail asking if there would be anything else and was told most people only receive loans in their aid.

Members don't see this ad :)

COA hasn't been announced for this year I don't think, but it has gone up 8-9% for the last two years. I'm graduating this year, and my tuition has gone up almost 50% since first year. It's happening everywhere though.

Just withdrew my acceptance. For those of you on the waitlist...best of luck!

njms has been hurting for cash for a while

with this in the works and what seems like the RWJMS/Rutgers merger finally going to happen...the financial situation can only get worse at NJMS.

The facilities and training ground available at NJMS are great, and I would say that the facilities are better than RWJMS is terms of lecture halls, etc...but i dont think that can override the financial instability and potential loss of spots during M3/M4 in desired rotations

with this in the works and what seems like the RWJMS/Rutgers merger finally going to happen...the financial situation can only get worse at NJMS.

The facilities and training ground available at NJMS are great, and I would say that the facilities are better than RWJMS is terms of lecture halls, etc...but i dont think that can override the financial instability and potential loss of spots during M3/M4 in desired rotations

i actually liked the facilities at RWJMS better. i don't see the financial situation as too unstable, the money coming from the SGU deal will help with that. i'm not sure about the loss of spots, who knows if there will be competition or not?

I just withdrew. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Has anyone heard how the class size is looking? I'm on the 'high priority alternate list', but from last years thread it looks like only a handful of people got off the wait list.

Not sure if this is allowed here but I am interested in applying to UMDNJ next year, and I was wondering is some people who got accepted all ready could share their stats ?

Has anybody spoken with admissions to try to gauge how overfilled the class currently is and what movement, if any, we could expect this year?

Has anybody spoken with admissions to try to gauge how overfilled the class currently is and what movement, if any, we could expect this year?

From the high-priority listserv, it seems like there will definitely be movement. I'm guessing the class is under capacity seeing as they're going to send more acceptances soon.

what information is being sent out over the high priority listserv? How many people are on it? i'm on the regular alternate list.

I will be withdrawing any day for whomever wants a spot here.

Yea thanks. It was a close call, but the NJ schools just aren't the deal they were at $22k.

Any news from priority wait list people? I'm hoping to hear something in the next week or two.

Any news from priority wait list people? I'm hoping to hear something in the next week or two.

No, but you should give them a call and ask them to hurry up :laugh:.

Or you could ask them when they are meeting and when the waitlist acceptances will go out. I would love to know that.

Hey i'm interested in applying early decision to NJMS. What were the stats of people who were admitted through EDP? Thanks

i don't understand why this school isn't in the msar online for 2011. RWJ is but this one isn't. It isn't on usnews either...can someone tell me stats and # of apps, interviews, accepted from interview, and spots for OUT OF STATE only. or...if you don't have numbers but think it's really OOS unfriendly then please tell me too. thanks!

The most recent numbers I have access to are from 2008-09, and looking at the data, NJMS is very similar to RWJ in terms of IS/OOS apps and interviews. NJMS interviews less people overall, but the IS/OOS ratio is similar. Neither are particularly OOS-friendly (as opposed to a UVA, UVM, or Michigan), but definitely more OOS-friendly than, say, UMass :p

NJMS is fairly similar to RWJ in terms of MCAT/GPA, etc. stats, maybe ever so slightly lower.

08-09 OOS Interviews/Applications
RWJ: 97/2,187 (4.4%)
NJMS: 23/3,032 (0.8%)

Last edited:
Anyone from the high priority waitlist hear anything? I thought the committee would meet this week and maybe we would hear something today, but maybe I was wrong.

I got in off the hp waitlist this weekend. Withdrew from NYMC and RWJ's (high priority) waitlists. I've officially heard 'something' from all but 1 school now.

I was accepted off the waitlist a few weeks ago. I hope everyone else gets lucky like I did. I'm also very excited to be starting at NJMS in August. I'm sure this has been discussed but is hoboken a place where students live? I'm concerned about parking spots/traffic/commuting.

hoboken is REALLY nice but it's not any better parking/commuting-wise. it would involve taking a series of buses or the path train. one of my best friends is a rising second year and he said living on campus is the way to go. parking is only $200/year i think.

I was accepted off the waitlist a few weeks ago. I hope everyone else gets lucky like I did. I'm also very excited to be starting at NJMS in August. I'm sure this has been discussed but is hoboken a place where students live? I'm concerned about parking spots/traffic/commuting.

I've lived in Hoboken for the last two years, and I love it! It's very nice and very safe, but you should be prepared for a difficult parking situation. While I don't have a car, my roommate who does says it's doable, but you can spend an awful lot of time looking for precious spots.

Come August, I plan on sucking it up for as long as I can and going the convoluted public transportation route. I know it's going to be somewhat miserable, but I know a postdoc at NJMS that takes the PATH and university shuttle everyday. It takes her about 50 minutes if she times it right...

accepted off the priority waitlist tonight. i was also previously told by dean heinrich and the admissions office that there has been decent movement on the list. during the call, dean heinrich mentioned that only one spot had opened up, but don't get discouraged guys!! the process is a crapshoot, but he told me that the most beneficial thing i had done to get off the waitlist was to keep in touch. email him and/or your interviewer, call the office, send a letter -- if njms is where you want to be, just make sure they know it. good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.