2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting for a friend:

I remember during the interview we were told that for applicants placed on the
waitlist you could write a letter stating your interest in going to Georgetown.
Anyone know whom the letter is supposed to go to and what their email is? Or
should I send the letter directly to med. admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm seeing a lot about LOI's for waitlisted applicants, is GU open to update letters (GPA boost) and LOI's for pre-interview applicants?

I'm seeing a lot about LOI's for waitlisted applicants, is GU open to update letters (GPA boost) and LOI's for pre-interview applicants?

Hey, if you check out the secondary website, you'll notice there's a "post-submission updates" tab on the left after you enter the application. You can upload documents into the "Application Updates" section. I assume this means they are receptive to pre-interview updates....I know I sent one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I can find this information earlier on the thread, but do we have any idea when the adcom will meet again and release the next batch of acceptances/waitlists?

anyone who interviewed mid to late Oct. still not heard back? I have nothing on the status page

Anyone interviewing tomorrow?? :hello:

anyone who interviewed mid to late Oct. still not heard back? I have nothing on the status page

They only review 80 people at a time and if you were at the very end you might be in this next batch that should be hearing back next week. Hope that helps :D

to those who've interviewed: how did they decide if you were in the 2:00 or 2:45 interview group? and how long did most of your interviews last? i looked at the old feedback and it seems like most are 30-45 mins long. the gtown site said that the interviews should end latest at 4:00 but i'm hoping to catch a 5:28 flight. i'm wondering how doable that is. even if i start at 2:45, the *latest* i'd get out i imagine is around 3:45 (1 hour interview).

what do you all think? (ps i'm from the dc area, will be having my pro parents who drive in and out of dc everyday take me to the airport, etc.)

to those who've interviewed: how did they decide if you were in the 2:00 or 2:45 interview group? and how long did most of your interviews last? i looked at the old feedback and it seems like most are 30-45 mins long. the gtown site said that the interviews should end latest at 4:00 but i'm hoping to catch a 5:28 flight. i'm wondering how doable that is. even if i start at 2:45, the *latest* i'd get out i imagine is around 3:45 (1 hour interview).

what do you all think? (ps i'm from the dc area, will be having my pro parents who drive in and out of dc everyday take me to the airport, etc.)

It is randomly assigned. They don't even confirm who you're interviewing with until 15-20 minutes before (unpredictable schedules of practicing MDs, etc.) I also do not believe it was one or the other (2 or 245) I think the interviews rolled throughout that time period (i.e. some starting at 215, 230, etc). My interview started at 2 and lasted about 30-45 minutes and when I got back to the office to checkout the last two people were heading out for their interviews. If you're flying out of Reagan you will still be cutting it close with rush hour but with someone driving you you might make it, etc and Dulles would just be a bad idea.

Maybe if you call the admissions office you can ask about requesting an earlier time, but seeing as they warn you in advance I'm not sure to what extent they would be able to accommodate you.

Hope that helps!

I think admissions also ask if anyone is catching a flight so they can get you in earlier. Might be onfusing gu with another school though.

I think admissions also ask if anyone is catching a flight so they can get you in earlier. Might be onfusing gu with another school though.

Correct...they ask if anyone would prefer the earlier interview for travel purposes.

Hey, if you check out the secondary website, you'll notice there's a "post-submission updates" tab on the left after you enter the application. You can upload documents into the "Application Updates" section. I assume this means they are receptive to pre-interview updates....I know I sent one!

Thanks! That helps a lot :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any one completed by 9/30 hear anything? My status is : completed.

I was complete one month earlier and haven't heard anything. Here's to hoping good news is in our future.

Complete early september and rejected pre-interview this morning...Good Luck!

Complete 9/20, rejected this morning.

Good luck everybody!

Oh sweet. Rejection =(. Really thought I'd get at least an interview here.

Rejected post-interview.

I said I'm interested in research and an academic career.
My interviewer said, "we are not a school that does research".

I guess the writing was on the wall.

Complete 10/18, 36O, 3.8, rejected today. Dang a lot of people got rejected today. Where are all of the II's?

Based on past years it looks like they start pulling people off CAP anytime between now and mid-Feb. It's painful waiting for news that might never come :confused:

Anyone else complete around early-mid October and have not heard anything yet? :confused:

Does anyone know if the next round of decisions will be coming out tomorrow? For November interviewees? If not does anyone know when the committee will meet next?

Patiently waiting. It would be so cool to get accepted here. I really loved the school.

Crossing my fingers so tightly for an II here :)xf:x 2)...it's been such a long wait.

Interview Invite here today!! Still possible scheduled for 2/15!

Is that more of a waitlist interview than anything? Also am out of state with a 3.7+ GPA and a 30+ MCAT but nothing extraordinary.

Interview Invite here today!! Still possible scheduled for 2/15!

Is that more of a waitlist interview than anything? Also am out of state with a 3.7+ GPA and a 30+ MCAT but nothing extraordinary.

When were you complete?

Complete early September i think the 1st or 2nd

Interview invite today! Was complete 11/7. 3.83, 30.

Would I be able to be at Union Station by 6:00 pm after the interview day? If I could make the 6:05 Amtrak from union station, I'd be at BWI by 6:35 for the 8:00 flight I'm looking at.

Interview invite today! Was complete 11/7. 3.83, 30.

Would I be able to be at Union Station by 6:00 pm after the interview day? If I could make the 6:05 Amtrak from union station, I'd be at BWI by 6:35 for the 8:00 flight I'm looking at.
6:35 for an 8:00 flight might be a little tight...make sure you know the Amtrak station is not in the terminal and would take you 10-20 minutes in between the two.

6:35 for an 8:00 flight might be a little tight...make sure you know the Amtrak station is not in the terminal and would take you 10-20 minutes in between the two.

What about getting to Dulles for an 8:00 flight?

If there's no traffic, it'll take you about 35-40 minutes from Georgetown to Dulles airport. I think the preferred route would be to take I-66W to the Dulles Access Road (267). Google Maps claims this is a toll road but actually that is only true if you are not going to the airport.

That said, the Metro should only take you about 10 minutes to get to Union Station from Dupont Circle (one of the GUTS buses goes to this station), so you could probably make the 5:05pm Amtrak, or any of the MARC Penn Line trains around that time (4:40p/5:18p, 5:20p/5:46p, 5:25p/6:04p), which are also cheaper.

If there's no traffic, it'll take you about 35-40 minutes from Georgetown to Dulles airport. I think the preferred route would be to take I-66W to the Dulles Access Road (267). Google Maps claims this is a toll road but actually that is only true if you are not going to the airport.

That said, the Metro should only take you about 10 minutes to get to Union Station from Dupont Circle (one of the GUTS buses goes to this station), so you could probably make the 5:05pm Amtrak, or any of the MARC Penn Line trains around that time (4:40p/5:18p, 5:20p/5:46p, 5:25p/6:04p), which are also cheaper.

Very helpful, thanks! If I can fly back home out of BWI it will save me $150 (not including train ticket).

It's easy to get to Dulles via public transportation is the 5A bus- it leaves from the Rossland and L'Enfant Metro stops
http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/05a.pdf?n

There is a Georgetown U. Shuttle (GUTS bus) that goes from campus to Rossland- I did this whole trip to Dulles from campus in under an hour- just make sure you know the bus schedule ahead of time, and you MUST have exact change ($6) or a Smartrip card.

P.S. The wait is KILLING me!

Very helpful, thanks! If I can fly back home out of BWI it will save me $150 (not including train ticket).
No problem. By the way, Amtrak tickets are fully refundable as long as you don't print them, even if you miss the train or change plans at the last minute. But you should reserve them earlier to get a better price once you know which train you might want to take. MARC tickets you'll just buy at the station (or on an Amtrak QuikTrak machine) and those prices don't change since it is a commuter train.

This might sound like a "stupid" question...but someone knowing nothing about the DC area....what airport should I fly into? And how much would a cab cost from it to a nearby hotel by Georgetown?

This might sound like a "stupid" question...but someone knowing nothing about the DC area....what airport should I fly into? And how much would a cab cost from it to a nearby hotel by Georgetown?
It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but for airports, DCA/Reagan National is the closest, IAD/Dulles Airport is the second closest but not as well connected by public transportation (need a bus or cab), and BWI is farther but connected by rail to DC (see the posts just above for some details on the latter two airports). If you use a flight search engine, use the code WAS to automatically mean all 3 airports. Southwest Airlines will not show up in flight search engines; you may wish to look at their flight schedules as well, only available directly on their website.

Save the money as cabs in DC are really expensive. Fly into Reagan (DCA), and you can get directly on the metro (the airport has its own stop) and then metro across DC to wherever your hotel is. There is also a free shuttle that will take you to Georgetown that I THINK picks you up at M and 22nd, or somewhere very near, but someone will need to confirm this. anywho, DCA is by far the most hassle-free way to go. good luck!:luck:

Today I cancelled my interview and withdrew my application. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Wow! Another great thread and lots of essential information for applicants that are applying for the upcoming 2012-2013 application cycle. Keep it up!:thumbup::):D

withdrew my acceptance last night. hope someone great gets some good news soon! : ) best of luck to everyone waiting through this painful process.

Rejected post-interview.

I said I'm interested in research and an academic career.
My interviewer said, "we are not a school that does research".

I guess the writing was on the wall.

That's eye-opening and somewhat surprising, considering that they do have a MD-PhD program.

Any others have experience talking about research in interviews? Better yet, do any current students want to comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.