2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just placed in the competitive applicant pool after interviewing 11/18.

Who do I send/address my update letter to? I vaguely remember Ms. Sullivan saying to send it to her.

Thanks!

Address the letter to Dr. Lauerman and email it to the admissions email address. I can remember the exact email address. If you email it to Ms. Sullivan, I'm sure she will make sure it gets out in your file though.

By the way everyone Ms. Sullivan said she is expecting Dr. Lauerman to start reading letters!

Members don't see this ad.

Address the letter to Dr. Lauerman and email it to the admissions email address. I can remember the exact email address. If you email it to Ms. Sullivan, I'm sure she will make sure it gets out in your file though.

By the way everyone Ms. Sullivan said she is expecting Dr. Lauerman to start reading letters!

Thanks!

Wow. Interviewed friday and was totally disappointed with the school and my interview. We sat in the same room for 3 hours, had a rushed 15 min boxed lunch and then interviews. My interviewer made me feel stupid and self conscious. She told me it was a problem that I was only fluent in English and that I hadn't done enough service in the past 6 months. You try finishing an undergrad degree, applying to medical school and being a D1 athlete!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Interviewed friday and was totally disappointed with the school and my interview. We sat in the same room for 3 hours, had a rushed 15 min boxed lunch and then interviews. My interviewer made me feel stupid and self conscious. She told me it was a problem that I was only fluent in English and that I hadn't done enough service in the past 6 months. You try finishing an undergrad degree, applying to medical school and being a D1 athlete!

I am very surprised that your interviewer was that critical of you. Being a collegiate athlete myself, I know how hard it is to do everything that is asked of you and to do it all exceptionally well. I have barely had time to sleep. It is very frustrating to me when people who have not experienced playing a sport at this level shrug off the amount of time that it takes out of your life. Playing a sport in college takes over every shred of extra time you have. This includes the off season. I know with basketball there is no real "break"...anyways I hope that doesn't completely negatively influence your opinion of Georgetown because I had the complete opposite experience. My interviewer was not critical of me at all. She was very kind and encouraging.

That's great! Do you happen to know when they plan to take people off the waitlist?

I am very surprised that your interviewer was that critical of you. Being a collegiate athlete myself, I know how hard it is to do everything that is asked of you and to do it all exceptionally well. I have barely had time to sleep. It is very frustrating to me when people who have not experienced playing a sport at this level shrug off the amount of time that it takes out of your life. Playing a sport in college takes over every shred of extra time you have. This includes the off season. I know with basketball there is no real "break"...anyways I hope that doesn't completely negatively influence your opinion of Georgetown because I had the complete opposite experience. My interviewer was not critical of me at all. She was very kind and encouraging.

I wish I had had your interviewer!!

Has anyone started a facebook page for the class of 2016?

I had a similar experience to this, so I understand how you feel. I'm not a D1 athlete, but the interview was awkward and made me feel self-concious as well. He talked about 90% of the time; never really giving me a chance for him to learn more about me outside my numbers (of the few questions he asked, two were for my MCAT and GPA) and the sheet that was given to him. After critiquing me on those few things, I was then told I would probably be put on the waitlist (and that if I really want to go there, write a letter of intent). I felt I had no real opportunity to add to my application by attending the interview. :-/ Sorry for your experience!

Last edited:
Wow, it's a shame to hear about the bad interview experiences...mine was wonderful! She was pleasant and welcoming and made me feel totally at ease.

So it looks like the adcom is up to mid-November? I interviewed 11/30, hope to hear soon.

So admissions just said that Dr. Lauerman isn't going to start taking people off CAP until late March / early April....

:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think it would be worth sending another update letter. Applicant pooled in mid-November, and already sent in one letter. One of the MS1s I met during interview day said that she sent in a total of three :confused:

Do you think the admissions committee would just be annoyed with another LOI?

thanks! Yeah, I sent mine in around the end of November. So, hopefully sending another now shouldn't hurt.

CAPpy Valentine's Day to me! ... Lame

Last edited:
How many files does the admissions committee review each week? Are they going week-by-week?

How many files does the admissions committee review each week? Are they going week-by-week?

when i interviewed they said they accepted 20, waitlisted 40, and rejected 20

so 80 in total each time they met...they may be looking over more since they may be behind...but yeah i'm pretty sure they go in order...that's what the trend seems to be

Hey guys,

I'm going to be applying to GU SOM this upcoming June. It's kind of disheartening reading everyone's WL or rejections, but all I can say is to HAVE HEART!

I hope everyone who is in CAP the best of luck.
Please PM if you'd like to share your stories or experiences (for better or for worse). I'd really appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks everyone!

Guys, the CAP is NOT something to be sad about! The majority of my class was CAP! It means that they didn't reject you and that you have a really good chance of getting in latter. Please take a moment and pat yourselves on the back. You made it a whole lot farther than lots of people. You will be awesome doctors some day.

I hope some of you end up at Georgetown, because it really is a fantastic place. If you have questions about what its like being a student, PM me. I have exams for the next two weeks (and I still love my school, so that should tell you something) so I might take a while to get back to you.

Guys, the CAP is NOT something to be sad about! The majority of my class was CAP! It means that they didn't reject you and that you have a really good chance of getting in latter. Please take a moment and pat yourselves on the back. You made it a whole lot farther than lots of people. You will be awesome doctors some day.

I hope some of you end up at Georgetown, because it really is a fantastic place. If you have questions about what its like being a student, PM me. I have exams for the next two weeks (and I still love my school, so that should tell you something) so I might take a while to get back to you.

:):xf:

So just to share some good news: they are accepting applicants from the CAP! Just got the call a few minutes ago!

So just to share some good news: they are accepting applicants from the CAP! Just got the call a few minutes ago!

Congrats!! That's great news. This is the same day last year that they started to pull people :)

I interview on December 2nd and still haven't heard anything. Is this normal?

Does Georgetown always start pulling from the waitlist before handing out decisions to people that interviewed December through present? Just seems odd. Is this bad news for those of us waiting for a post-interview decision?

Does Georgetown always start pulling from the waitlist before handing out decisions to people that interviewed December through present? Just seems odd. Is this bad news for those of us waiting for a post-interview decision?

I don't think this is bad at all. They review interviewees the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month. I think this is a separate meeting just for CAP applicants. And this seems to be a normal review time for them.

Would the people accepted off CAP please share when you submitted your LOIs? And congrats!!

Would the people accepted off CAP please share when you submitted your LOIs? And congrats!!

I interviewed in late September, and sent a letter of interest in early January.

For those of you who had your CAP status disappear, check the website. About 30 minutes ago a letter was posted for me! I have yet to receive a phone call though. For those of you who want to know how many times I updated my file while I waited (I interviewed in late August) PM me. I'll be more than happy to share my special sauce. Actually, don't get your hopes up, it's really nothing special. Wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Has anyone made a facebook group yet??

I really think someone should, but there'd be no way of keeping it just actually accepted students unless someone from the class of 2015 does it..?

also, congrats on all the CAP acceptances!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.