2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jalby, seriously, get the $@#$ over this. It was like ten years ago. There probably aren't even the same people working for admissions. The reason GT has a small accepted-to-applied-student ratio is that there are 11,000 applications for only 200 spots. Do the math. GT probably has enough applications to only accept 3.8/35+ applicants. Well, guess what, they don't. Also, USNWR rankings are based primarily on research funding.

+1. you come across as a whiny and bitter person who can't let something go. You seem to justify all your posts as to you somehow accidentally finding these Georgetown forums. That's sounds plausible (LOL). Your posts don't actually provide anything useful. If I'm not mistaken You were upset because they couldnt accommodate you changing your interview day. Guess what? There are thousands of qualified candidates, you weren't special and you aren't special so don't expect special treatment.

It is really quite sad a grown man who is now practicing medicine still comes on SDN to complain about a school.

Are you even certain the same staff is working at GT? No you don't.

GT is a great school in a great location. They are looking for a very specific type of student and there IS a reason they do admissions the way they do. It is not because of us news rankings. That is a common misconception.

Go and look at the methodology for the rankings and notice that the matriculation rate is a VERY insiginifcant factor. How can you possibly be that dumb to not understand this?

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm not mistaken You were upset because they couldnt accommodate you changing your interview day.

I'm not taking sides, but actually, I believe he claimed to have received a letter signed by the dean of admissions stating that he did not deserve to go to any medical school at all.

I'm not taking sides, but actually, I believe he claimed to have received a letter signed by the dean of admissions stating that he did not deserve to go to any medical school at all.
Maybe I don't remember correctly, but wasn't that after he had a shouting match with them over the phone that involved cursing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I don't remember correctly, but wasn't that after he had a shouting match with them over the phone that involved cursing?

The plot thickens! I never read the whole thread, so I shouldn't comment.

this is from the original thread Jalby started:

Never.

Addendum to the story, that I didn't add because I didn't want anybody to find out I did this while I was still a pre-med student and applying.

Once I was told I was rejected because I hadn't written the letter (Same phone call), I asked to talk to someone higher up. Finally I got to the person who told me that I was never going to get an interview because I didn't send in the letter and there was nothing I could do about it. Once I was sure he wasn't just the secretary (I think he was the dean), I proceeded to cuss him out. It felt good.

I rest my case

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I got the secondary e-mail on Tuesday and have now boxes to enter my name on the site. Let us know what you find out.

After contacting both the ApplyYourself Tech Support and Georgetown Admissions by email, my name got added back to the application sometime between 7pm and 2am central time. I did not get a response message from either group though, so I'm not quite sure who took care of it. At least it's fixed :thumbup:

After contacting both the ApplyYourself Tech Support and Georgetown Admissions by email, my name got added back to the application sometime between 7pm and 2am central time. I did not get a response message from either group though, so I'm not quite sure who took care of it. At least it's fixed :thumbup:

Thanks for the info. Just logged in to check and my name is now there as well. Whew...

Submitted my secondary a few days ago! Can't we all just be friends?

For anyone else who has a problem seeing their name, Tech Support just sent me an email with a suggestion: clear your internet cache before logging on again. Apparently it can sometimes be an issue when you have multiple applications with the site (i.e. JHU, Georgetown in my case).

CopaceticOne, glad to see that you've got it fixed as well!

+1. you come across as a whiny and bitter person who can't let something go. You seem to justify all your posts as to you somehow accidentally finding these Georgetown forums. That's sounds plausible (LOL). Your posts don't actually provide anything useful. If I'm not mistaken You were upset because they couldnt accommodate you changing your interview day. Guess what? There are thousands of qualified candidates, you weren't special and you aren't special so don't expect special treatment.

It is really quite sad a grown man who is now practicing medicine still comes on SDN to complain about a school.

Are you even certain the same staff is working at GT? No you don't.

GT is a great school in a great location. They are looking for a very specific type of student and there IS a reason they do admissions the way they do. It is not because of us news rankings. That is a common misconception.

Go and look at the methodology for the rankings and notice that the matriculation rate is a VERY insiginifcant factor. How can you possibly be that dumb to not understand this?

I'm on call and bored. Sue me. And the matriculation rate used to be worth 20% back in my day. Now, 1%. i didn't know that until I just looked it up. There is a student selectivity worth 20% which they don't define in the slightest.

All I got to say is have fun on the acceptable candidate list.

The plot thickens! I never read the whole thread, so I shouldn't comment.

Read the whole thread and pay attention to the dates of the posts. I always find it hilarious. Some other guy resurrected it after 5 years, so I took that as a sign that the thread should never die.

I would also like to reference this other thread which shows that I have actually thought GT is a great school:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=61397&highlight=jalby

Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

Is anyone "complete" here yet? I submitted a while ago but my status just says I've successfully submitted my secondary, and I didn't receive a confirmation email.

Last edited:
I anyone "complete" here yet? I submitted a while ago but my status just says I've successfully submitted my secondary, and I didn't receive a confirmation email.

Not yet- I remember them mentioning that it takes several days for them to confirm that all of our materials are in.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: I spoke too soon- I just got the complete email!

Submitted 7/6

I just got a second secondary invite. Weird...

Just got my confirmation too!

Submitted 7/6/2011

This really sounds like a great school....I hope I have a chance! Good luck on everyone getting interviews!!!!

I've got the complete email as well. I assume that now we can get rejected/interview invites. Good luck!

But in all seriousness, unless something has changed, GT< gets WAY more applications than everywhere else. GT waitlists almost everybody who is acceptabel. It then pulls off the people who write them saying that GT is their top choice. This helps them in the USNews rankings because it gives an artificially low number for application to acceptance ratio.

If GT is your number one choice (or you don't have problems lying to them) then by all means, have at it. Tell them on your interview, follow up letters, etc, etc. I personally think it is a bit unfair that they offer acceptance letters based on who writes them letter about how much they love GT rather than the academic record of the applicant, so I am all for everybody telling them that GT is their number one choice.

This has to be the most ******ED thing I have read on SDN and I have read some pretty ******ed things. This is in no way true, AT ALL. Stop trying to convince people to hate GT because they didn't accept you. See a psychiatrist man, it's been 10 years, get OVER IT.

When I applied I NEVER wrote them a follow up letter after my interview. All I did was send the Interviewer an e-mail thanking him for his time. Georgetown does a fairly good job of selecting its class. The fact that you cannot let go of your rejection shows that you have serious mental issues. GT probably saw that in your application and decided to pass.

To all of you guys applying this year you will love it here. When you get the interview, PM me and I will show you guys the Georgetown Hospitality. You will quickly learn why so many students apply here and WANT to come here.

Last edited:
This is the first time I did it on a Georgetown thread. I honestly didn't know these existed. I log onto SDN rarely (except to sometimes search for myself) and they put on new forums that I never knew about. I just happened to see this one on the main page.

And as I have said other places, GT is a pretty good med school and trains great doctors and is in an amazing location. But their method of selecting med students is based solely on trying to raise their rankings in the USNews (since applied to accepted ratio is one of the main factors) and I really think that is shady.

That being said, I am really quite curious to know if they have the same director of admissions as they did 11 years ago.

How do you know this? Did you get this information from admissions?

No you didn't. You are simply speculating.

How can you be a physician yet say such stupid things?

u mad because you didnt match into orthopaedic surgery and are now sitting in a radiology community program? I would be mad too

Last edited:
I just got a second secondary invite. Weird...

Me too... It's definitely weird. I submitted on June 13th and I got another invite for a secondary this Saturday. :confused:
I logged in with my first account, the one I did my actual secondary on, and it shows up as submitted. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if everything's okay. Good luck to everyone, Georgetown's a great school! :luck:

Me too... It's definitely weird. I submitted on June 13th and I got another invite for a secondary this Saturday. :confused:
I logged in with my first account, the one I did my actual secondary on, and it shows up as submitted. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if everything's okay. Good luck to everyone, Georgetown's a great school! :luck:

Hey All,

I just want you guys to know that this is normal and it will happen to some of you at all stages in the cycle. It happened to me with my secondary and it also happened during my interview invite confirmation. It's just their system that sometimes re-spits out already sent e-mails. Don't read into it. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys this fall, I love getting me some free doughnuts, coffee, bagels and juice (not in that order). :D

for the first essay on the secondary... does 5000 characters mean words or is it 5000 letters and spaces combined?

for the first essay on the secondary... does 5000 characters mean words or is it 5000 letters and spaces combined?

Characters = letters, spaces, returns, everything - and if you're doing it on word, make sure you have some leeway because word seems to have a low count, or these secondaries have a high count.

Also, they just ask for one page, single-spaced. I believe I did almost a full page and it was around 3000 characters.

130$ :eek:

I just got rejected from BU, 143$ down the drain...

I made my decision and will not apply. I really would like to have a chance to attend this school but I will not complete this secondary.

Good luck everyone.

11 Bio, 11 Physics, 9 Verbal. 3.6 sGPA. TX Resident.

Based on the stats, I'm lower than average, so would my application be a joke to GT? Just recently visited the school and loved it, but I don't want to get my hopes too high.

Thanks for the input!

11 Bio, 11 Physics, 9 Verbal. 3.6 sGPA. TX Resident.

Based on the stats, I'm lower than average, so would my application be a joke to GT? Just recently visited the school and loved it, but I don't want to get my hopes too high.

Thanks for the input!

Most people's applications are jokes..some are just funnier than others

Apply here if you truly feel a desire to go here, it cant hurt if you have the drive and it comes out through your applications

Do any current students/applicants know where I can find more information in the community service aspect of Georgetown or maybe some other programs as well? I looked through the MD prospective applicant related sites but I could not find much useful information. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Do any current students/applicants know where I can find more information in the community service aspect of Georgetown or maybe some other programs as well? I looked through the MD prospective applicant related sites but I could not find much useful information. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

These two should get you started:

http://hoyaclinic.som.georgetown.edu/The_HOYA_Clinic/The_HOYA_Clinic/index.html
http://som.georgetown.edu/medicaleducation/service/

Thanks! I will be visiting DC August 11th. My sister is applying to a couple schools in DC for undergrad and I figured it would be a great opportunity to take a look around campus.

Any advice on where to go?

That will be the first week of classes, so come sit in on an M1 and M2 class. Check out our GYM, Library, med student lounge and the on campus hospital. Don't forget to get a good feel for the surrounding city. Take a walk down M street (shops, bars, restaurants etc.) PM me anytime!

Thanks for the info PlacentaSac :)

You're more than welcome.

I also got a PM to describe what the campus looks like. I am including this short video on it. It mainly shows the Undergad. side, but we are on the same campus and we have access to the undergrad facilities. Not the best solution, but hey it's something. If I find something better I will include it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYgeGff_LI4&NR=1

Last edited:
Georgetown's campus and surrounding environs are amazing. My sister works for Georgetown and I absolutely love that part of DC.

I'm planning a trip to Georgetown on the weekend of October 20th to 23rd for homecoming, so I hope some of you have interviews that weekend! :D I would pee myself with happiness if I got an interview, but if they schedule it for homecoming weekend---GRRR I will be a little disappointed. Oh well, can't count my chickens before hatching and all that.

Does anyone know what days of the week Georgetown interviews? I'm close to submitting a secondary and just got an interview invite from GWU. I'd like to schedule that GWU interview on a day that would allow me to stay in DC and interview at GT IF I get an interview here (big "if," but still, I'm far from DC and would like to save on air fare)

For one semester I took only 1 class due to moving back home, studying full for the mcat and driving and a medical emergency. Should I explain that on the secondary or does GT not really pay attention to that?

uh...is it just me or is 1 single spaced page of 12 pt font WAY LESS (like 3000 characters) than "5000 characters" -- wtf? what rule is everyone else following? i guess i could make the margins smaller?

Last edited:
uh...is it just me or is 1 single spaced page of 12 pt font WAY LESS (like 3000 characters) than "5000 characters" -- wtf? what rule is everyone else following? i guess i could make the margins smaller?

margins :thumbup:

i actually probably wouldn't do that...if i was admissions and saw other people sticking to 1" (which I'm sure there is, I know I am) I would just think u were trying to squeeze in w/e you could...although, it is not specified so you can technically do w/e you want

Status
Not open for further replies.