2011-2012 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed here yesterday. I want in so bad!!! :xf:

p.s. For those of you who may be curious, Dean Callahan told us yesterday that she is still reviewing applications for interview invitations, but hopes to be completely done within the next 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite today!!! I used to have the "Interview to be Scheduled" status. Really excited and grateful to interview here :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today!!! I used to have the "Interview to be Scheduled" status. Really excited and grateful to interview here :)
how long did you have the "interview to be scheduled" status before receiving the II?

Does Jefferson do silent rejections? I've been interview decision pending since August now...

So they give a syllabus at Jeff correct? And if so, is the syllabus available in an electronic format (such as PDF) for reading on iPads or laptops?

Status changed from decision pending to "interview to be scheduled" today, so they are still scheduling interviews. There is still hope!

Anyone who received one willing to share their interview experience at Jefferson?

Status changed from decision pending to "interview to be scheduled" today, so they are still scheduling interviews. There is still hope!

Anyone who received one willing to share their interview experience at Jefferson?

Hey, do you mind if I ask when you were complete, and if you sent them an update or anything like that to indicate your interest?

I would love to interview here too. Never seen Philly!

Thanks!

So they give a syllabus at Jeff correct? And if so, is the syllabus available in an electronic format (such as PDF) for reading on iPads or laptops?

It varies. In every class, the powerpoint slides are available from every lecture. The anatomy syllabus is really nothing more than all of the slides printed out and handed to you so you can write in the margins. For other courses, the syllabus is more text-heavy and reads more like textbook, but more concise. Some people really like to use the syllabus as their only source for studying. Other people will use their laptops and iPads to study just from the slides and take notes right on them. It really depends on your style of studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies. In every class, the powerpoint slides are available from every lecture. The anatomy syllabus is really nothing more than all of the slides printed out and handed to you so you can write in the margins. For other courses, the syllabus is more text-heavy and reads more like textbook, but more concise. Some people really like to use the syllabus as their only source for studying. Other people will use their laptops and iPads to study just from the slides and take notes right on them. It really depends on your style of studying.

So to clarify, the syllabuses are offered in both print and electronic formats, right? I'd prefer to study from an electronic medium, just wondering if that's feasible at Jeff, or are the text syllabuses only in print? Sorry, I'm still a bit confused...

So to clarify, the syllabuses are offered in both print and electronic formats, right? I'd prefer to study from an electronic medium, just wondering if that's feasible at Jeff, or are the text syllabuses only in print? Sorry, I'm still a bit confused...

They hand out the syllabus as well as post the syllabus on blackboard. That has been the case for second year. I can't remember if they posted the syllabus online for first year courses. However, I just looked at the first year classes on blackboard, and I don't see syllabi posted anywhere.

Edit: If you prefer the electronic format, you can use the ppt they post. The professors are usually pretty good at following the written text in the syllabus during the ppt lecture for first year.

You're correct. At least for first year, the syllabi are in print only. The only exception I can think of would be the lab manual for histology, which is currently both in print and electronic. However, as lovewater stated, the ppt's follow the printed syllabus very well. I know a lot of people who simply type their notes in the slides.

Hey, do you mind if I ask when you were complete, and if you sent them an update or anything like that to indicate your interest?

I would love to interview here too. Never seen Philly!

Thanks!

I was complete months ago (I think around September), and actually sent a letter via email to admissions this morning expressing my interest in Jefferson. I checked my status this afternoon and it had changed to "interview to be scheduled." Very well likely could have been a coincidence, but who knows.

I was complete months ago (I think around September), and actually sent a letter via email to admissions this morning expressing my interest in Jefferson. I checked my status this afternoon and it had changed to "interview to be scheduled." Very well likely could have been a coincidence, but who knows.

I think that sounds less like a coincidence and more like your letter had something to do with it. At the late stages of this game, a lot of people have already been accepted to schools and don't have the money/energy/time to go on any more interviews. These letters are one of the best ways for the adcom to decide if they are wasting their time considering an applicant who wont even show up if invited, or whether they are spending their time considering a really interested applicant. Of course, I'm sure the adcom doesn't lower its standards--but when they have hundreds if not thousands of people who all have similar numbers, a letter can go a long way.

Moral of the story, it sounds like people should definitely start sending updates/letters of interest. Just my thought.

I think that sounds less like a coincidence and more like your letter had something to do with it. At the late stages of this game, a lot of people have already been accepted to schools and don't have the money/energy/time to go on any more interviews. These letters are one of the best ways for the adcom to decide if they are wasting their time considering an applicant who wont even show up if invited, or whether they are spending their time considering a really interested applicant. Of course, I'm sure the adcom doesn't lower its standards--but when they have hundreds if not thousands of people who all have similar numbers, a letter can go a long way.

Moral of the story, it sounds like people should definitely start sending updates/letters of interest. Just my thought.

Lord knows I just sent mine! Thanks for responding to my earlier message, DoreDoc.

I wrote them a letter a while back, and my status only changed to "interview deferred" :(. Should I bother writing them another?

Anybody get in yet today? Cuz it' 11:30 and my nerves are jumpin' jumpin'

Anybody get in yet today? Cuz it' 11:30 and my nerves are jumpin' jumpin'

I think phonecalls usually go out between 1:30pm-4pm EST according to previous posts and last year's thread. I definitely have my stomach in a knot already.

This may be a redundant question, but what link is everyone using to check their admissions status?

Someone posted earlier that the status doesnt change after "Attended Interview", most of us are just waiting for a phone call, otherwise, an email with worse news.

Correct, the status doesn't change post-interview. Good luck!

Does anyone who interviewed this past week (3/28) know if the adcom is meeting this coming week (4/4)? I think I remember Callahan saying that there weren't going to be any interviews on 4/4 (because of Easter I'm assuming), but I don't know if that means the committee will be meeting or not.

Last edited:
Does anyone who interviewed this past week (3/28) know if the adcom is meeting this coming week (4/4)? I think I remember Callahan saying that there weren't going to be any interviews on 4/4 (because of Easter I'm assuming), but I don't know if that means the committee will be meeting or not.

I can't speak directly to Adcom meeting, but there are interviews on 4/4.

Just wanted to pop in here and say that it's been a little more than half a year since I submitted my application, and my status is still "decision pending". :horns:

57.jpg

got the call as well!!! So happy :hardy:

For those who did not hear from the committee 1 week after interviewing, did you still hear back on a Wednesday?

for those of us on the hp waitlist, if we are lucky enough to get off, is there still a chance we could get decent financial aid? has anyone received fin aid offers yet who's been accepted?

During the interview day, I think they said they usually don't run out of institutional aid until June or July - but "decent" is relative. Most aid is going to be loans versus scholarships, etc. I'm guessing they try to help lots of people with a little bit, versus a few people with full-rides...but that's all conjecture on my part.

Hoping for good news too!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here (much easier decision after I got the e-mail that tuition is now 50,936 O.O). I hope it goes to one of you guys, best of luck.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here (much easier decision after I got the e-mail that tuition is now 50,936 O.O). I hope it goes to one of you guys, best of luck.

+1, and ditto to your comment about the tuition!

Are they still granting interviews? I still have not heard anything back from here since I applied back in September! Ugh! Also, I forgot how to check update, can anyone provide a link? Thanks!

Are they still granting interviews? I still have not heard anything back from here since I applied back in September! Ugh! Also, I forgot how to check update, can anyone provide a link? Thanks!

I interviewed last Wednesday and Dean Callahan said that tomorrow would be the last interview day for Jefferson. Sorry :(

Good luck to those hoping to hear back today! I will be staring at my phone hoping for a phone call with the rest of ya

Status
Not open for further replies.