2011-2012 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:laugh: Woot woot! Just got my acceptance email. :laugh: That was fast. Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Great News VG Beat, Congratulations. Now time to start the apartment search and join us on facebook :).

:laugh: Woot woot! Just got my acceptance email. :laugh: That was fast. Good luck to everyone else!

Congratulations, man! I am extremely happy for you. Also, it is nice to see that the waitlist is starting to get some movement. Good luck to everyone still waiting for news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in as well! Got the letter yesterday!

Interview: 3/26
Waitlisted: 3/28
CBC: 5/24
Official Acceptance: 5/25

See you all in a month! To everyone on the waitlist, IT IS MOVING! Be patient and diligent in your relevant follow-up. Above all stay prayerful! Still rooting for everyone!

Congrats KDJ and VG Beat!! I pray the rest of us can join you guys! :D

See you all in a month! To everyone on the waitlist, IT IS MOVING! Be patient and diligent in your relevant follow-up. Above all stay prayerful! Still rooting for everyone!

Thank you! I hope so too! Everyone will stay in my prayers. This has been a long road. It ain't over, keep running! It is still happening so live the next month in faith!

Congrats KDJ and VG Beat!! I pray the rest of us can join you guys! :D

Hey congrats to everyone getting their acceptances! I was wondering if anyone who was being considered for the post bac has heard anything. I spoke to Ms. Davis on briefly on Wednesday, and she said that they were still contacting people. The program starts June 11th which is quickly approaching :xf:I'm trying to remain hopeful!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!
Best wishes to everyone still waiting to hear back :xf:

Hey congrats to everyone getting their acceptances! I was wondering if anyone who was being considered for the post bac has heard anything. I spoke to Ms. Davis on briefly on Wednesday, and she said that they were still contacting people. The program starts June 11th which is quickly approaching :xf:I'm trying to remain hopeful!
I heard back for the post bac program on 4/25. Other than the original email, I have not receive any additional info on the program. I am hoping it will be in the next couple of days. But do stay hopeful!! Whenever I call for details, I am told that the school is still contacting students for the program. That was on 5/23.

Best of Luck! and Congrats to the Class of 2016!!

Congrats!!!!!!!! I know you all must be so relieved and Happy!!!! I hope that there is more movement and Im praying I can join you all!!

Would you guys mind sharing your stats?

Hello, I was accepted off the waitlist last Friday as well. I have finally ended my four year journey of applying to medical school!

I have had these stats for three years:

32 MCAT
3.67 GPA
Clinical research
Community service
An overload of clinical experience

Every year it gets more competitive

Members don't see this ad :)

Sure thing

• BS Biology
  • 3.38 GPA
  • 27 MCAT
  • 5+ years in multi-discipline research to include current work as health policy/quality researcher with dual appointment for the Department of Veterans Affairs and Baylor College of Medicine
  • Volunteer clinical experience (Infectious diseases)

Hello, I was accepted off the waitlist last Friday as well. I have finally ended my four year journey of applying to medical school!

32 MCAT
3.67 GPA
Clinical research
Community service

lerker, it has taken me 4 years too!!! it's crazy!!!

32 MCAT
3.67 GPA
Clinical research
Community service

Sure thing

• BS Biology
  • 3.38 GPA
  • 27 MCAT
  • 5+ years in multi-discipline research to include current work as health policy/quality researcher with dual appointment for the Department of Veterans Affairs and Baylor College of Medicine
  • Volunteer clinical experience (Infectious diseases)

Wow. Why were you guys ever waitlisted? Your stats seem really competitive for Meharry. I interviewed here with a 3.3 GPA and a 24 MCAT, I thought that if I raise my score to 28-30 I would be really competitive for this school. Guess not.

I have a 35 and will be attending here. I know two other students who do too. Just fyi

I have a 35 and will be attending here. I know two other students who do too. Just fyi

Wow. Why were you guys ever waitlisted? Your stats seem really competitive for Meharry. I interviewed here with a 3.3 GPA and a 24 MCAT, I thought that if I raise my score to 28-30 I would be really competitive for this school. Guess not.

Sounds like it’s about the big picture, not just the MCAT (though it is important). I got the sense that Meharry wants to know beyond a doubt that it's your first choice and you're doing it in hopes of giving back

Here's mine;

3.25 (but with a 3.6 science and a 4.0 post bac)
34 MCAT
BS in Architecture
Bit of shadowing, tons of tutoring, and also taught OChem for awhile.

Btw, nice handle Lui Kang lol.

Also, I'm impressed with you and others' tenacity. I would never be able to wait four years. I had backup DO schools and was prepared to go the caribbean route if need be. But, I'm glad to be at Meharry for sure. It's been my first choice all along.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
For all those who are still waiting or have been rejected I just want to show some words of encouragement with you. Hope you find it to be a blessing and I pray that God may comfort you through this trying time....

Teach us, O Lord, the disciplines of patience, for to wait is often harder than to work. ~Peter Marshall~

As human beings, we all want good things. *I mean, who wouldn't? But, while we all want the finer things in life, most of us are not willing to wait for it to happen. We don't want blessings later. We want them now, and when that does not happen we are tempted to ask God why? When? I for one will admit that I have a lot of work to do in the area of trusting God. If you are missing joy and peace in your life, then more than likely you are just like me; you are not trusting God the way that you should. If your mind is constantly at war, then you are not trusting God enough. We can only prove that we trust God when we refuse to worry.

God wants us to live a life of discernment. The word discernment is defined as coming to a realization or coming to understand something clearly and distinctly. This means that in order for us to be able to discern something, it must first be revealed through God. How are we ever going to be able to exercise discernment if we are too busy trying to figure everything out? It is only when we are able to surrender and admit that we cannot figure it out, that we give God the power to give us the revelation that will set us free. It is then we can be at peace without having to know everything. Trusting God often requires not knowing how He is going to accomplish what he needs to do and not knowing when he will do it. We often say "it is never too late for God to do something." But, have you ever thought that it isn't too early for him to work either? God uses seasons of waiting to stretch our faith and to bring about change and growth in us. Friends and family, as hard as it may be, rely on God to bring to pass what he has purposed for you to accomplish. Accept God's timing! God gives us hopes and dreams for certain things to happen in our lives but he doesn't always allow us to see the exact timing. To be honest, not knowing God's timing is usually what gives us to strength to keep pushing. For many of us, if God* would have given us insight on how long it would take to accomplish that dream, we would QUIT!* But when we learn to accept God's timing, no matter what, we can find joy in knowing that God is strategically working out our problems.

I leave you with this folks: God causes things to happen right on time, not your time! Your job is not to figure out when that will be, but to make up your mind that you will not put down your cross until you reach the finish line. In the mean time, live your life RADICALLY for Christ. Keep your eyes focused solely on him. Don't worry about those that may be passing you by. Your time will come. My time will come. Until then, continue fighting the good fight of faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called for. Our time will come to pass. Stay encouraged!

Power Verses:

Ecclesiastes 3:1- To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under the heaven

Proverbs 16:9- A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.*

Habbukuk 2:3- For the vision is yet for an appointed time; but at the end it will speak and will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry

Prayer of the day: Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for being the God of perfect timing. Thank you for loving us so much that you care about every intricate detail of our lives. Thank you for the doors that you closed so that the new ones can open. Thank you for the disappointments because they are your way of protecting us for something better. Lord God help us to keep trusting in your perfect will for our lives. Although we may not understand what you are doing, let us praise you just because we know that it is You doing it. God give us the patience that we need to wait on you. Let us not go our own way and make hasty decisions. We know that not waiting for you only leads to regrets and heartache. Father God, strengthen us during this season of our lives. While the birth pains may be unbearable right now, we know that you are preparing us for the new life that you have in store. Thank you in advance for the new creations that we will have in you when this process is over. In your precious name, Amen.

--
"Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe." ~Gail Dever~

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything about the post-bacc program? The strangest thing happened to me... The Dean's office called me twice and left messages. When I returned the call (several times) I was told that the Dean was anxious to speak with me, but just so happened to be busy each time. Then, at some ungodly hour I received an email that said I was not chosen for the program. I wonder what that was all about...

I received the same email RealistPhD. The phone calls are strange though:confused: Did you try to contact the dean again after you received the letter?

Has anyone heard anything about the post-bacc program? The strangest thing happened to me... The Dean's office called me twice and left messages. When I returned the call (several times) I was told that the Dean was anxious to speak with me, but just so happened to be busy each time. Then, at some ungodly hour I received an email that said I was not chosen for the program. I wonder what that was all about...

yea realist phd, i would call the office and ask them what the dean wanted to speak to you about or at least email the dean and find about his correspondence

I received the same email RealistPhD. The phone calls are strange though:confused: Did you try to contact the dean again after you received the letter?

yea realist phd, i would call the office and ask them what the dean wanted to speak to you about or at least email the dean and find about his correspondence

Thanks for the responses guys.

I decided not to call back since I was going to inform the Dean that I could no long be considered a candidate anyway. So, I guess it worked out in the end. But I was more curious to know if anyone else had the same or similar strange encounter.

Talked to Ms. Davis, the waitlist is still moving, I haven't heard anything yet but I'm still hopeful, time is ticking before orientation

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you all know that I also got in contact with ms.Davis in the morning and she also said the waitlist is moving...not sure as to how much. I asked about June 15 being the last day since thats the date the waitlist email stated, good news is that the waitlist can move up until registration, that gives us hope for another week or two

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you all know that I also got in contact with ms.Davis in the morning and she also said the waitlist is moving...not sure as to how much. I asked about June 15 being the last day since thats the date the waitlist email stated, good news is that the waitlist can move up until registration, that gives us hope for another week or two
Thank goodness that is great news!!

***Steadily keeping my fingers and toes crossed***

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck!

Hey Insanely posh, i hope you are well. PM me , if you get a chance, we need to talk. take care and ttyl

Hi everyone,
I hope all is well. I just want to encourage those of you on the waitlist. Don't give up hope :).

Thanks so much, Im still faithful!!!! Praying some more spots will open up:xf:

Received an acceptance email at 1:37 pm today!!! The wait list is moving. Time to relocate my life in 4 days. Sooooooooooo worth it!

For those of you who have been accepted, any recommendations on where to stay? How is Royal Towers? Dorothy Brown? I would appreciate any advice you all have to give.

God may not come when you want but he is always on time.

Congrats ImaBird2!!! :D God is GOOD!!

Received an acceptance email at 1:37 pm today!!! The wait list is moving. Time to relocate my life in 4 days. Sooooooooooo worth it!

For those of you who have been accepted, any recommendations on where to stay? How is Royal Towers? Dorothy Brown? I would appreciate any advice you all have to give.

God may not come when you want but he is always on time.

FAM just wondering why you decline the invitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.