2011-2012 Mercer Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also does anyone know when Mercer M1 starts this year? I hate how they don't communicate with you at all if you're on the waitlist. I'd at least appreciate a 'sorry, school has started so there's no hope for you anymore' email instead of keeping me in limbo. #rant

Our orientation was this week and we start class Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my interview invite today! I was wondering how long it took before you got the confirmation email? I haven't gotten mine yet.

Thanks for the info BigBoosting :thumbup:

I just got my interview invite today! I was wondering how long it took before you got the confirmation email? I haven't gotten mine yet.

I still haven't received mine either. Might give them a couple business days before I give them a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info BigBoosting :thumbup:

I still haven't received mine either. Might give them a couple business days before I give them a call.

Yeah you might want to email or give them a call. I got mine about an hour after I received word that I was offered an interview. Good luck everyone!

Same here, haven't received anything since my phone call Friday morning

edit: got email confirmation today, Monday.

Last edited:
I received my interview call today! I'm scheduled for Sept 8th! I just received my confirmation email too. Good luck to everyone!

I received my interview call today! I'm scheduled for Sept 8th! I just received my confirmation email too. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats, especially on getting an earlier interview date! I know all of the acceptances will be given out on or right before October 1, but maybe some of our resident MS-1 lurkers can speak to the importance of interviewing early during the ED process.

Odd that they gave out Sept 22nd before Sept 8th! Congrats though mightyduck50!

Also interested in the importance of an early ED interview date. From what I gathered it's not that important since the number of acceptances is based on the applicant pool and most acceptances are given out on Oct 1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the date of the interview really matters with EDP. Don't they only meet once and that's after all the interviews are finished? If anything, a late date might be better so you're fresh in the adcom's mind!

Yeah I was just splitting hairs, who knows. Looking at last year's thread, apparently the ADCOM met twice. I would assume that it would be the same way this year. Also, 10/1 is a Saturday. Surely they aren't going to wait until halfway through the weekend to give out acceptances, are they? I know the guideline sheet said that, but hopefully they will start dishing em out Thursday or Friday.

Odd that they gave out Sept 22nd before Sept 8th! Congrats though mightyduck50!

Also interested in the importance of an early ED interview date. From what I gathered it's not that important since the number of acceptances is based on the applicant pool and most acceptances are given out on Oct 1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, my interview is at the Savannah campus. All the Macon spots were filled, when I received the word today, at least that is what I was told by the person on the phone. Hope that eliminates the confusion.

MS-1 lurker here...

I interviewed somewhat late in the EDP cycle b/c I couldn't go to Savannah, so I had to wait a few weeks for a Macon interview. Only one person in my interview group is not in my class, so that's about 7 of us in my class just from my interview group.

I should also note that you have a MUCH better chance of getting in EDP, so I honestly wouldn't sweat when you interview during the EDP cycle. It's going to be fair either way simply because you're EDP. I think last year they interviewed about a 100 EDP applicants, and half of those applicants were accepted, which is about half of the class. On average, I think MUSM accepts around 40-50% of the class via EDP.

Lastly, check out the SDN Mercer interview page... it's got great advice for interviews here. Pretty informal, in terms of discussion, but definitely know your application.

For you RD folks, just get your apps in early and show your mission-compliance and desire to go to MUSM!!

Good luck!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing on Thursday (Sept 1) in Savannah.

Does anyone know the avg gpa/mcat for accepted Early Decision applicants last year.

I'm interviewing on Thursday (Sept 1) in Savannah.

Does anyone know the avg gpa/mcat for accepted Early Decision applicants last year.

Yeah that would be nice to know!! Good luck btw. I'm interviewing in Savannah as well but later than you

My advisor gave me their statistics for the early decision cycle of last year. The average GPA was 3.42 BCPM and 3.52 overall and the MCAT was 26 (9VR, 8PS and 9BS). The number of applicants applied were 102, of those 85 were interviewed and out of the interviewed 49 were accepted.

For those who got invited to savannah, did you get your email about the interview day yet? I was called in August 12 and received the confirmation email but yet to receive info about the actual day. My interview is Sept 15

Just got my ED interview invite today! Was getting really nervous because it's been a week since I was complete but so relieved now. Interviewing 9/8 in Macon.

Just got my ED interview invite today! Was getting really nervous because it's been a week since I was complete but so relieved now. Interviewing 9/8 in Macon.

Congrats! I'm curious about Mercer's method of assigning interviews. I got my interview over 3 weeks ago yet I'm interviewing a week after you in Macon.:confused:

Congrats! I'm curious about Mercer's method of assigning interviews. I got my interview over 3 weeks ago yet I'm interviewing a week after you in Macon.:confused:

Maybe since they meet on Oct 1st priority is given to dates closer to the end of September, that way you will be more fresh in the adcom's mind? Or maybe they have some complicated algorithm ;)?

This may be premature, but I was also wondering if anyone has any stats on Savannah vs Macon. Do they have board scores for the Savannah group yet? I have a friend who goes to Macon and told me that Savannah has lower test scores on average. Any lurkers here who can confirm or deny this?

Maybe since they meet on Oct 1st priority is given to dates closer to the end of September, that way you will be more fresh in the adcom's mind? Or maybe they have some complicated algorithm ;)?

LOL I don't know about that. Judging from the really small sample on here, completion vs. interview dates for ED are all over the place. Who knows...

I'm really not sure about the methodology but perhaps later in the interview process actually is preferable. I didn't inquire too much but she gave me the option of the 6th or the 8th so I chose the latter to prepare a little longer.

I think they just tried to fill up the Macon spots first because they're in the process of renovating/moving locations at the savannah campus. I was given a choice of the 22nd, 27th, or 29th in Macon. I inquired about going to savannah for my interview since I went to Macon last year but she talked me out of it because of the moving location thing. We're all worrying too much!

This may be premature, but I was also wondering if anyone has any stats on Savannah vs Macon. Do they have board scores for the Savannah group yet? I have a friend who goes to Macon and told me that Savannah has lower test scores on average. Any lurkers here who can confirm or deny this?

I interviewed recently and got a chance to talk to a few second year students at the Savannah campus. They said that the scores are nearly identical for both Macon and Savannah on tests.

that is rather strange because I received my interview invite a few weeks ago but was told that all the macon spots are full and that I need to interview in Savannah. Maybe some some people had to reschedule.

My advisor gave me their statistics for the early decision cycle of last year. The average GPA was 3.42 BCPM and 3.52 overall and the MCAT was 26 (9VR, 8PS and 9BS). The number of applicants applied were 102, of those 85 were interviewed and out of the interviewed 49 were accepted.

For those who got invited to savannah, did you get your email about the interview day yet? I was called in August 12 and received the confirmation email but yet to receive info about the actual day. My interview is Sept 15

Thanks for posting those stats!

I received the email with specific info about the interview day only a week before the interview, so you should be getting it soon.

that is rather strange because I received my interview invite a few weeks ago but was told that all the macon spots are full and that I need to interview in Savannah. Maybe some some people had to reschedule.

I was told the same.

I know Mercer is in the middle of EDP interviews, but has anyone gotten a phone call for a RP interview yet?

Does anyone know when the EDP applicants will hear back about their decision?

The forms we received say everyone finds out on or around October 1st (which, oddly, is a saturday)

I believe that's the latest they have to tell us by. But I think I heard that the committee in Savannah is meeting on the 27th and judging from the previous year's thread they make phone calls that night and the next day. Just wanted to confirm if anyone else has heard what day the committee will be meeting.

Also does anyone know if both the committees from Savannah and Macon make a joint decision on each applicant or does the committee where you interviewed handle acceptance decision.

I know Mercer is in the middle of EDP interviews, but has anyone gotten a phone call for a RP interview yet?

Last year they didn't do RP interview calls until the first week in October, after EDP was decided on

Anyone have any interview tips or want to comment on how they think theirs went? Anyone get any ridiculous questions?

It's been pretty, pretty, pretty quiet in here. Only one week away now :oops:hnoes:

Anyone have any interview tips or want to comment on how they think theirs went? Anyone get any ridiculous questions?

I know two thatve interviewed, they said there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I had some oddball questions last year so hopefully I wont be surprised this time. Looks like we both interview tomorrow, good luck!

Mercer's interviewing process is very low stress. They try to make you feel as relaxed as possible.. I think they mostly want to get to know about you in order to find out if you will be a good fit for their school; the questions asked are very straight forward.

I hope this week goes by fast! :luck:

Regular decision interview invite today on 10/25!

Regular decision interview invite today on 10/25!

Every now and then, I like to post on Mercer threads just to remind you guys I'm still out here. I joined SDN in 2005 after my FIRST rejection. I was rejected again in 2006 and finally accepted on my third try (btw, I applied EDP all three times..undergrad = Mercer, biomedical engineering - GPA:3.56, MCAT 24, 22, 27).

Even though it took them a while to recognize what they were missing, I still am thankful every day that I'm a Mercerian - there's simply no better place to be. I'm now an orthopaedic surgery intern - so Mercer helped me reach my full potential.

I also sat on the ADCOM last year as an MS4 so if you guys have any GENERAL type questions I'll do my best - the admissions process really isn't top secret, but out of respect for my colleagues I'll leave it to them to divulge any details.

In general, Mercer interviews are very laid back. The only down-side is that I think far too many people come away thinking they nailed it and will be getting an acceptance letter any day when in reality they just had a kind interviewer. Just be yourself and answer questions to the best of your ability.

PM me for any specific questions

Every now and then, I like to post on Mercer threads just to remind you guys I'm still out here. I joined SDN in 2005 after my FIRST rejection. I was rejected again in 2006 and finally accepted on my third try (btw, I applied EDP all three times..undergrad = Mercer, biomedical engineering - GPA:3.56, MCAT 24, 22, 27).

Even though it took them a while to recognize what they were missing, I still am thankful every day that I'm a Mercerian - there's simply no better place to be. I'm now an orthopaedic surgery intern - so Mercer helped me reach my full potential.

I also sat on the ADCOM last year as an MS4 so if you guys have any GENERAL type questions I'll do my best - the admissions process really isn't top secret, but out of respect for my colleagues I'll leave it to them to divulge any details.

In general, Mercer interviews are very laid back. The only down-side is that I think far too many people come away thinking they nailed it and will be getting an acceptance letter any day when in reality they just had a kind interviewer. Just be yourself and answer questions to the best of your ability.

PM me for any specific questions

I can definitely agree with this having been rejected once before. I knew going into the interview that it was a long shot given that I was interviewing the first week in March, but after the interview I just felt a good vibe and was optimistic. After going through the interview process this time I'm a little more realistic and not getting ahead of myself, although I'm hands down better across the board.

How many people are interviewed at Mercer and what percentage are accepted?

I figure getting an interview this early is a very good sign, as that's how it usually is at other schools.

I just went to a session presented by Mercer Admissions this week.

For the class of 2015, these are the statistics:
ED- 102 applied, 85 interviewed, 49 accepted
RP- 734 applied, 259 interviewed, 51 accepted

I just went to a session presented by Mercer Admissions this week.

For the class of 2015, these are the statistics:
ED- 102 applied, 85 interviewed, 49 accepted
RP- 734 applied, 259 interviewed, 51 accepted

I assume a lot of those interviewed were placed on the waitlist? Glad I am interviewing early!

Guys, I feel for ya'll first of all...I was on this same thread last year and every day was just waiting and stressing, getting hopes up and then getting them down. Let me start by saying I applied ED, strong GPA, lower MCAT--and I got in over someone with a higher score and same GPA. I think your interview you have to impress them, and stick within their mission statement--you can go whatever path you choose once you get in and find a specialty. I was one of the first interviews, however I found out about 5-6 weeks later and I was stressed out beyond normal. Everyone else had gotten a call, and by the afternoon on the last day of calls (all were made at different times, some the night before, most the next morning early) I had thrown in the towel, thats when I got the call and so did a few others. Don't stress over scores and who has what going for them--in the end they are looking for specific characteristics and one doesn't require a "full package". Just stay off of the thread the days that calls are being made (some emails were made go back and read last years thread it was intense), and they won't all call at the same time. If not, plenty of my good friends in my class, had previously applied and didn't get accepted, and they kicked my ass on the first test---just go get some hours at some hospital and enjoy another year of sleep and freedom. Can't wait to welcome ya'll into Mercer Med...either next year or the following! Good luck! And best advice I can give to ya'll...drink the day you are waiting for decisions, it was "good luck" advice given to me, and I got the call with a budlight in hand..true story.

Cracking open those bud lights and hoping for a call tonight/tomorrow :xf: I can already feel the heart palpitations starting this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.