2011-2012 Mercer Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started a Facebook group called Mercer School of Medicine class of 2016. Please join.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting an error message when I click on 'confirm' at the group page.
N/M! it's an error only for the mobile version of facebook.

Last edited:
In regards to your previous question, no, Mercer (or most US Medical Schools) does not accept overseas transfers. I was in the same boat as you and considered going to SGU in Grenada many times but I knew I'd always wish I had stayed and tried again. I applied 3 times (did a Master's and will be doing research for this year) but its worth it. If you know what you want (and if it's Mercer) then you will get it.

Not true. I know a third year at Mercer who just transferred in this year from an overseas (Caribbean) medical school. He is, however, from Georgia, and if I remember correctly, he interviewed at Mercer originally. BUT, it's not too common. There has to be a spot open for you to transfer into (i.e. someone has to drop). It's not unheard of, just not common.

Congrats to everyone that got in, and definitely don't give up if you didn't get in this time around.. most of my class is re-appliers, including myself. It WILL work out for you, in the end. Talk to Dr. House or your interviewer and find out what you can improve upon for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
BlakeGriffinFan,

Congrats! In fact, congratulations to everyone who is officially in. Those us in limbo, well, let's keep hoping; and for those who got deferred, hang in there!

Just for the sake of cat-killing curiousity. Did any of you with Certiphi emails receive any sort of cover letter with a fax # for the hard copy of the release form? I'm either blind, or there is no fax# anywhere in the documents I got.

I was wondering the same thing about the fax number. Did you ever find it? Congrats to everyone who got in!

I was wondering the same thing about the fax number. Did you ever find it? Congrats to everyone who got in!

I didn't find it in any of the paperwork, but I called them and this is the # they gave me: 888-495-8476

Has anyone got their packet in the mail?

I've been all : patientbear : waiting for mine, and seeing as how it appears that others have gotten theirs, hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get home this evening.

I got mine a few minutes ago. Now to decide between Macon and Savannah.....

For those of you deciding between Macon and Savannah, I'd suggest taking a campus tour if you haven't been to both to really get a feel.

Then, consider what is better for YOU. Think about how often you want to go home. Think about distances from significant others or friends. Think about if it is important to you to be on a university campus and able to access the facilities that go with it., etc. If you didn't go to school in Georgia and you still have a lot of friends out of state, how easy is it for you to travel there from Macon and from Savannah? The same goes if you have a lot of family from out of state. These tend to be really important things that aren't automatically considered.

It's always easy to say, "omg, good nightlife, near the beach, funner city -- let's go with Savannah!" But you need to really sit down and think about what is important to you, because I do know people at both campuses who have regretted their choices.

When I applied, I definitely wanted to go to Savannah. I'm from Athens, but went to school in DC and lived in London and Paris. Being in a city with character is important to me. I'd dealt with being farther away from home before. I LOVE Savannah and everything about it. Why on earth would I choose Macon?

But then, when I got in, I actually had to consider all of my factors. At the end of the day, being closer to home (1.5 hrs vs 4 hrs) is important because you will NOT want to drive a long way to get home when you consider how much studying you could get done in that amount of time. Being on a university campus was also important to me -- I could access a gym, a pool, intramural sports, an undergraduate library, plus a building that the first and second years pretty much have to ourselves -- and STILL have a hospital campus for the 3rd and 4th year. Not to mention that I actually liked Macon the more time I spent here trying to decide. It has a nice historic area with some really beautiful parks. There are some great restaurants and bars. And you're right on 75, so it is really easy to get to Atlanta or elsewhere in the state (we just went to a Braves game two weeks ago and we're going to the National Fair tonight).

So, when it came down to it, for me, Macon was the right choice -- and I do like it a LOT, more than I thought I ever would. I'd just encourage all of you to really think about it before making a snap judgement. You've got some time to go and check both of these places out and make an informed decision. Don't rush to send your form back. You WILL get your choice if you're early decision (seriously).

Let me know if you have any specific questions -- I will try to answer them as best as I can!

For those of you deciding between Macon and Savannah, I'd suggest taking a campus tour if you haven't been to both to really get a feel.

Then, consider what is better for YOU. Think about how often you want to go home. Think about distances from significant others or friends. Think about if it is important to you to be on a university campus and able to access the facilities that go with it., etc. If you didn't go to school in Georgia and you still have a lot of friends out of state, how easy is it for you to travel there from Macon and from Savannah? The same goes if you have a lot of family from out of state. These tend to be really important things that aren't automatically considered.

It's always easy to say, "omg, good nightlife, near the beach, funner city -- let's go with Savannah!" But you need to really sit down and think about what is important to you, because I do know people at both campuses who have regretted their choices.

When I applied, I definitely wanted to go to Savannah. I'm from Athens, but went to school in DC and lived in London and Paris. Being in a city with character is important to me. I'd dealt with being farther away from home before. I LOVE Savannah and everything about it. Why on earth would I choose Macon?

But then, when I got in, I actually had to consider all of my factors. At the end of the day, being closer to home (1.5 hrs vs 4 hrs) is important because you will NOT want to drive a long way to get home when you consider how much studying you could get done in that amount of time. Being on a university campus was also important to me -- I could access a gym, a pool, intramural sports, an undergraduate library, plus a building that the first and second years pretty much have to ourselves -- and STILL have a hospital campus for the 3rd and 4th year. Not to mention that I actually liked Macon the more time I spent here trying to decide. It has a nice historic area with some really beautiful parks. There are some great restaurants and bars. And you're right on 75, so it is really easy to get to Atlanta or elsewhere in the state (we just went to a Braves game two weeks ago and we're going to the National Fair tonight).

So, when it came down to it, for me, Macon was the right choice -- and I do like it a LOT, more than I thought I ever would. I'd just encourage all of you to really think about it before making a snap judgement. You've got some time to go and check both of these places out and make an informed decision. Don't rush to send your form back. You WILL get your choice if you're early decision (seriously).

Let me know if you have any specific questions -- I will try to answer them as best as I can!

Just commenting to show my appreciation for this post. I find myself in a very similar situation except for the fact I went to UGA instead of OOS. Not sure where I will end up yet, but I am definitely visiting the Savannah campus before I make a decision.

I took a tour of the Savannah campus last Wednesday and decided that I’d like to make it my home for the next four years. After taking the tour, I agree with BigBoosting. Both campuses deliver the same quality education, but they both have a completely different vibe. The Macon campus has more of a collegiate feel as it shares the location with the undergraduates; whereas, the Savannah campus is located in a hospital and has a more of a professional feel to it. I think I could be successful at either campus, but for me, Macon resembles too closely what I'm living right now, and I look forward to the change of pace that Savannah can offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in my request for Savannah last week. Hopefully, I'll get it. Decision came down to which city I liked better since both Macon and Savannah are the same distance from Augusta (my home).

does anyone know when the october committee meeting is?

Sent in my request for Savannah last week. Hopefully, I'll get it. Decision came down to which city I liked better since both Macon and Savannah are the same distance from Augusta (my home).

Taking a tour of the campus next Friday. If all goes as expected, there is a good chance I will also be requesting Savannah.

I thought that the committee met every 3rd wednesday of the month... Which would have been yesterday. I am kind of hoping they haven't had it yet though because I haven't heard anything...

Anyone from regular decision hear anything?

I thought that the committee met every 3rd wednesday of the month... Which would have been yesterday. I am kind of hoping they haven't had it yet though because I haven't heard anything...

Anyone from regular decision hear anything?

Since the first day of Regular Decision interviews was 10/18 (Tuesday), they decided to cancel/not have the meeting in October so the first meeting will be in November.

Good luck!

Gotcha, I thought the interviews started a week earlier so they meet next on Nov. 16th?

Taking a tour of the campus next Friday. If all goes as expected, there is a good chance I will also be requesting Savannah.

Hope you'll be joining me! One of the big things I liked about Savannah (other than the amazing city and culture) that no one has mentioned was the Hoskins cancer research center on Memorial Campus. Getting the chance to do research and perhaps get published is a big deal to me as it helps land a good residency position. I looked at some of the research facilities in Macon when I interviewed and I was not all that impressed. Just my 2 cents.

I loved the feel of this school. I really hope I am accepted here... November can't get here fast enough.

Does anyone know how many 1st time applicants compared to reapplicants get accepted here?

Hope you'll be joining me! One of the big things I liked about Savannah (other than the amazing city and culture) that no one has mentioned was the Hoskins cancer research center on Memorial Campus. Getting the chance to do research and perhaps get published is a big deal to me as it helps land a good residency position. I looked at some of the research facilities in Macon when I interviewed and I was not all that impressed. Just my 2 cents.

To be fair, the Hoskins labs aren't all run by Mercer faculty. A great number of the PIs are Memorial-associated. Many of the faculty labs are located in the small building between Hoskins and the clinical skills lab.

However, you can very well opt to pursue a research internship with any of the PIs in Hoskins (I think Dr. Bose's team is in Hoskins, and at least 2 others... Can't remember names). I know we get an option to do the summer scholar research program, but I'm not sure if we're limited to Mercer faculty labs.

Anybody here :confused:

II invite today! File complete on 10/7

Toured the Savannah campus last week and sent in my preference for it yesterday. Really liked Memorial and its proximity to the school. Also, Savannah just seems to offer more as a city (not that I will have tons of free time to check it out). All in all, I just made the decision that I wanted to spend four years there, despite being further from home.

Last edited:
Is anyone attending Discover MUSM next friday?

Wow. That is a very interesting video, however, it has not changed my desire to go to Mercer. You know the cost of Mercer before you apply, you know that any medical school you go to will be stressful. Also, you don't decide what field of medicine you want to go into until after second year so I don't understand the 'favoritism' that could result. And, how many people have actually been held back? I can't imagine it is many.

What you wish you knew before you started Mercer. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFCWRDTc5i4

LOL at that "video." Made it about a minute in before I realized I had just wasted a minute of my life. If you are truly worried about any of the things that I heard in the video up to that point (failing oral exams, loans, etc.) then you need to reconsider medical school and enroll in a community college nursing program. That's about the only response that video merits...

Wow. That is a very interesting video, however, it has not changed my desire to go to Mercer. You know the cost of Mercer before you apply, you know that any medical school you go to will be stressful. Also, you don't decide what field of medicine you want to go into until after second year so I don't understand the 'favoritism' that could result. And, how many people have actually been held back? I can't imagine it is many.

Believe it or not, but Mercer, and any other US medical school for that matter, WANT you to succeed and move on. The amount of money they receive from the government is based upon such.

Could every one who applied for this cycle and also people who were accepted post your stats (gpa, science gpa, mcat scores, extra curricular)? Please I want to know if I have a chance next year.

Could every one who applied for this cycle and also people who were accepted post your stats (gpa, science gpa, mcat scores, extra curricular)? Please I want to know if I have a chance next year.

I applied last year but was waitlisted. 25 mcat. I think my interview went kinda so so but I'm not sure how they are supposed to go because I don't have anything to compare it to.

Also remember that many of the "Medical students" on this forum are NOT students, but rather faculty members from the medical schools pretending to be students and trying to scope out what applicants are saying when they think they are not being watched. Anyone can get on here and say they are student without having to provide their real name and contact info. Yeah I know it sounds ridiculous. :eek:

Only two more days!!!! So nervous, starting to lose sleep! :xf:

Still no II yet. Georgia resident. Mid 30's MCAT 3.8 BCPM GPA.

Any advice or anyone else in this same boat?

Good luck to everyone expecting to hear a decision this week. Looking forward to some new additions to our class.

I hope they do calls tomorrow and not Thursday...I cannot wait much longer lol.

To thomallama:

Congrats! Let us know how your interview goes :) What is your date of I?

My file was complete 11/14. I am really hoping for an II!

i'm hoping for calls to go out tomorrow too; in my head the possibility starts tomorrow!

Does anyone know how many people they took ED and how many slots are still open?

We find out decisions tonight or tomorrow morning correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.