2011-2012 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone not received their secondary yet? I received the e-mail stating that they received my AMCAS application and will be sending me the link to the secondary within 2 weeks...but it's been 3 weeks and I still haven't heard back.

It took them around 3 weeks after the initial email to send me the actual secondary link. I'm sure it will be sent to you soon.

So this school waits till you're verified to send the secondary out? That's what I get from looking at this thread... Did anyone receive it before they were verified? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So this school waits till you're verified to send the secondary out? That's what I get from looking at this thread... Did anyone receive it before they were verified? Thanks!

I got the application shortly after I was verified. It took AMCAS almost a month to verify my application after I submitted it, and I only received one or two secondaries within that time.

Freaking out a bit because my essays won't preview. I've tried to use other browsers and I've tried all of the advice in the troubleshooting. Also, I know it says not to bother with the 4th section, but it also says that is has received my LOR and that is not possible. Should I just call?

Freaking out a bit because my essays won't preview. I've tried to use other browsers and I've tried all of the advice in the troubleshooting. Also, I know it says not to bother with the 4th section, but it also says that is has received my LOR and that is not possible. Should I just call?

try uploading PDFs. My word documents didn't work but the PDF worked. I use Safari by the way.

Are the suggested word limits stringent for the essays? Say for the first essay if I'm at 300 words instead of 250 will that be frowned upon?

I got the application shortly after I was verified. It took AMCAS almost a month to verify my application after I submitted it, and I only received one or two secondaries within that time.

Thank you SO much for that advice. Lol I've been wondering what to expect in terms of secondaries while I wait to get verified but no one has answered my question. I've been freaking out cuz I was expecting to get a lot of secondaries while waiting to be verified. This is actually a good thing, cuz it means I will have all my essays pre-written and ready to go by the minute I get verified. Thanks again!

Yeah, I see it as the schools' most rudimentary test on whether applicants can follow directions properly.
Right, but...it says "suggested". Which means you can go over, just not too much.

I'm just looking out for you, I wouldn't want you to get screwed cause of this

You're funny. It's highly unlikely that 1) they have a word counting mechanism in their database that they just refuse to show to applicants, and 2) they'll screw you for going over a few words. I say 1) because different algorithms can give slightly different word counts depending on the weird characters or hyphens or something, and 2) because they're not jerks.

For the record, I wrote 251 words for the diversity essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the record, I wrote 251 words for the diversity essay.

Stick it to the man! :laugh:

Yeah though, I also wrote just a little bit over 250 words. If they stated that 250 was a hard limit, I would have cut a few words. But as it is, the prompt wording leads me to believe that they won't care about, lets say, 255ish words or less.

I'm just looking out for you, I wouldn't want you to get screwed cause of this
I also wasn't the person asking the question originally. I submitted with word counts 299 and 205.

Sorry if this is a dumb question--but any thoughts on whether the question "Were there any gaps in time, post-secondary school, or greater than one month duration, except summer vacations, that are not accounted for anywhere else on your application?" is only referring to time off during/before college? or should I write what I'm planning to do during the upcoming year (since I just graduated)?

Thanks!

Sorry if this is a dumb question--but any thoughts on whether the question "Were there any gaps in time, post-secondary school, or greater than one month duration, except summer vacations, that are not accounted for anywhere else on your application?" is only referring to time off during/before college? or should I write what I'm planning to do during the upcoming year (since I just graduated)?

Thanks!

Might not hurt to just mention it there if you haven't said anything about it anywhere else.

Has anyone gotten a complete email yet? I called admissions earlier and asked if I was complete and they said I was, so I guess there's a lag time between being complete and receiving a complete email?

Has anyone gotten a complete email yet? I called admissions earlier and asked if I was complete and they said I was, so I guess there's a lag time between being complete and receiving a complete email?

I submitted on the 22nd and I'm not expecting one.

Hey guys.

So I am a little new to all of this, so please excuse my ignorance. Does Mt. Sinai really like theater majors or something? I was looking at their website and they talk a lot about actors and theater and all that stuff.

Hey guys.

So I am a little new to all of this, so please excuse my ignorance. Does Mt. Sinai really like theater majors or something? I was looking at their website and they talk a lot about actors and theater and all that stuff.

Humanities and medicine program.

I submitted my amcas application to them yesterday, and I got an invite to their secondaries right now. :soexcited: WHOA!!!!! I am soooooooooo stoked about this medical school secondary. It is my dream medical school. :woot: It feels like my birthday :hardy:

The prompts are very small, so I am going to have to chose my words precisely and craft an essay that is leaps and bounds better than my primary.

Does the question: explain gaps in your academic record refer to taking time off after graduation? I am taking one gap year (just graduated), but I am not sure this is what they are asking. Thanks for any help.

Hm...Mt. Sinai finally received my secondary, but do they send a complete email? I checked the status page, but all it said was app submitted...

To above poster--kind of a late response, but I don't think your gap year is actually a "gap" since you've graduated--there's been no break in the middle of getting your BS/BA. At least that's how I would interpret it--how would you explain that anyway? 'I graduated'? :laugh:

Hm...Mt. Sinai finally received my secondary, but do they send a complete email? I checked the status page, but all it said was app submitted...

To above poster--kind of a late response, but I don't think your gap year is actually a "gap" since you've graduated--there's been no break in the middle of getting your BS/BA. At least that's how I would interpret it--how would you explain that anyway? 'I graduated'? :laugh:

I received my complete email today when I submitted on 8/3

are you sure it's a complete email?
i got an email that says my secondary application was received, but it doesn't explicitly say that i'm complete...

yea i dont think it was a complete email. and the status page they link to doesnt say whether or not app is complete

yea i dont think it was a complete email. and the status page they link to doesnt say whether or not app is complete

Yeah it's weird :confused: I submitted mine on July 21, no clue why they sent me this email again

I got the email too and I submitted toward the end of July...weird.

Why do I always think these are interview invites when I first open them?! grrrrr

Why do I always think these are interview invites when I first open them?! grrrrr

the "congratulations!" didn't help. I almost thought it was an II too.

Is everyone referring to the "MSSM MD Supplemental Application Received" e-mail? I almost had a heart attack when I read the "Congratulations!" :laugh:

I know that they have my letter/AMCAS, so does that mean I'm complete? Should I call during their very specific hours to confirm?

I also received that letter today and submitted on July 25...
Maybe this was just some sort of mass-email thing to anyone who had already submitted?

the "congratulations!" didn't help. I almost thought it was an II too.

Haha exactly! At the first sentence of the email, I was like :love: but afterwards, I was more like :rolleyes:

Hoping for better luck next week.

Just submitted!!

So is the general consensus that:
1) there may be a glitch with the pdf preview of one of the essay questions (for me it was the "why mount sinai" essay, some lines of my essay disappeared) but it's ok -- the ADCOMs will see it okay
2) no need to do anything about recommendation letters as long as we have designated them on AMCAS -- ignore all the Embark stuff
3) we do not get a confirmation email of a "complete" application (or "under review now" email) -- we just get the initial "submitted successfully" email... and assume that the application is "complete"

Is that all right?

--------------------
Edit: PS -- I just realized that I got the "Congrats, your app has been submitted" and "Congrats, your app has been received" email at the same time (right after I submitted). Is that what happened for everyone? I thought there was supposed to be a delay before it's marked as "received" by the office...

Just submitted!!

1) there may be a glitch with the pdf preview of one of the essay questions (for me it was the "why mount sinai" essay, some lines of my essay disappeared) but it's ok -- the ADCOMs will see it okay
2) no need to do anything about recommendation letters as long as we have designated them on AMCAS -- ignore all the Embark stuff
3) we do not get a confirmation email of a "complete" application (or "under review now" email) -- we just get the initial "submitted successfully" email... and assume that the application is "complete"

Is that all right?

--------------------
Edit: PS -- I just realized that I got the "Congrats, your app has been submitted" and "Congrats, your app has been received" email at the same time (right after I submitted). Is that what happened for everyone? I thought there was supposed to be a delay before it's marked as "received" by the office...

That sounds right to me (or at least what I have experienced thus far).

Just submitted!!

Is that all right?

--------------------

I submitted my app on July 30th and got the "submitted" email the same day. I got the "received" email yesterday. I think a lot of people got the "received" email around the same time, even tho they submitted their app on different days.

Long story short: don't worry that you got the "received" email already. You're good.

I called their office today (mon and wed 2pm - 4pm are reserved for application completion status questions) because it said my LORs have not been received... but the lady said my app was indeed complete, and the committee letter was in. I never got a complete email.

(last piece of my application was in aug 9, called aug 17)

Just got one!
Submitted 7/31
Completed, unknown, but got an email August 12th

Just got an interview invite!!! I submitted on July 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.