2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody in the same boat as me?

Submitted secondary 7/30
Marked Complete 9/9

I haven't heard anything since, i.e. no "continue to review" letter and no interview invitation.

Anybody in the same boat as me?

Submitted secondary 7/30
Marked Complete 9/9

I haven't heard anything since, i.e. no "continue to review" letter and no interview invitation.

Me too. I keep checking my mailbox, like a crazy person . . . told my neighbors, "I'm expecting a very important rejection letter, any day now!"

Evidently we're not good enough to invite, but not bad enough for that passive-aggressive rejection thing. (You'd think I'd be plenty bad enough, with my sub-3.3 GPA.) PM me if you get any news.

Members don't see this ad :)
. . . told my neighbors, "I'm expecting a very important rejection letter, any day now!"

LOL :smuggrin:

it's a weird feeling isn't it "ooh an envelope! this could be... uhh.. uh oh..."

I submitted the 2ndary 7/30
Complete 9/15

Nothing received......no rejection, no invite, no continue to review..:scared:
Driving me Crazy...:banana:

My stat 32M, 3.86

Complete early august, processed mid august. Interview invite via email a few days ago. 33, 3.76 in state. :)

complete 9/26 after it was submitted on 8/6. No word since. Any one else as well? Do people usually get fast turnarounds?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!! :thumbup: Early decision applicant, accepted 9/29! :D Good luck everyone!

Accepted!!! :thumbup: Early decision applicant, accepted 9/29! :D Good luck everyone!

That's fantastic! Congratulations ARE83. :clap:

I have to admit after reading this thread I open my mailbox and sort through the post like I'm defusing a bomb...glad to see some positive news though.

:( On hold letter for me... *sigh* No luck for me.

I have to admit after reading this thread I open my mailbox and sort through the post like I'm defusing a bomb...glad to see some positive news though.

Nice avatar :thumbup: :p

Interviewed recently. What a lovely place it was! Howard the tour guy was a class act.

this is the first time i have laughed in about a month...............thanks for that. I'm sitting at one reject and 0 interviews so I needed that!

"Continue to Review" letter (a.k.a. Letter of Doom) today . . . :(

Submitted 7/29
Complete 9/8
LOD 10/4

That's too bad. I was really liking the idea of Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Nice avatar :thumbup: :p

haha thanks right back at you :laugh: was considering Rob Lowe, but...I'm a girl.

this is the first time i have laughed in about a month...............thanks for that. I'm sitting at one reject and 0 interviews so I needed that!

you're quite welcome. if it makes you feel better, I've had like 15 rejections so far (just haven't updated mdapps with all of them yet). but honestly, I think that the sheer number of them has numbed me to feeling the pain of rejection... at the end of the day, it's such a crapshoot and it's still early. so sit tight, i am sure good news is coming your way

Letter of Doom = OUTSTANDING. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh5qx68meU0[/YOUTUBE]

Submitted 7/29
Complete 9/8
LOD 10/4

That's too bad. I was really liking the idea of Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Mine looked similar. Ah well.

Yeah, the hardest part has been the wait.

Received my letter of purgatory today. Really thought I was good enough for an interview at Penn State. :(

I waited 2.5 months and got 6 rejects before getting my first interview. They will come!

Submitted Aug 4.

Still not complete!

I heard it takes about 5 weeks...hopefully you'll hear something soon? I submitted Aug 14th, still waiting on a "complete"...

After being complete, for those of you with interview invites, did your status say, "Our records indicate that your application is complete, and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee. You will be contacted by mail and/or phone during the next several weeks with its decision." before you received your invitation?

I am wondering if this status is a precursor to the rejection letter...

After being complete, for those of you with interview invites, did your status say, "Our records indicate that your application is complete, and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee. You will be contacted by mail and/or phone during the next several weeks with its decision." before you received your invitation?

I am wondering if this status is a precursor to the rejection letter...

Nope - not a precursor to rejection. My status said that all the way through the interview process and I was accepted EDP. In fact, I just checked and my status on the secondary site *still* says this. Don't lose hope. :)

Continue to review letter today.... Ugghh could be better, could be worse. :(+:)

Interviewed recently. What a lovely place it was! Howard the tour guy was a class act.

Seriously! It's pretty chill...I would definitely like to go there!

Does anyone know if they are receptive to thank you letters?

Still have the

"Our records indicate that your Secondary Application has been received, but it has not been determined whether your application is complete or not at this time. Once that determination has been made, you will be notified via email."

status, but I have been complete since 9/14

Still have the

"Our records indicate that your Secondary Application has been received, but it has not been determined whether your application is complete or not at this time. Once that determination has been made, you will be notified via email."

status, but I have been complete since 9/14

I had this message for over five weeks before it changed to complete, so don't worry it's normal for Penn state.

Seriously! It's pretty chill...I would definitely like to go there!

Does anyone know if they are receptive to thank you letters?

I don't know that they matter one way or another...there's a lot of debate about that. But the woman who walked me to my second interview (Joyce?? I think) semi-casually mentioned that if I would like to send thank yous to my interviewers and they did not give me their personal business card, I could mail them to the interviewer's attention at the admission's office address and they would make sure the interviewer received them. So, I sent them, because it almost seemed to be expected since she mentioned it to me. And it is polite, even if it doesn't make a difference in the adcom decision.

I don't know that they matter one way or another...there's a lot of debate about that. But the woman who walked me to my second interview (Joyce?? I think) semi-casually mentioned that if I would like to send thank yous to my interviewers and they did not give me their personal business card, I could mail them to the interviewer's attention at the admission's office address and they would make sure the interviewer received them. So, I sent them, because it almost seemed to be expected since she mentioned it to me. And it is polite, even if it doesn't make a difference in the adcom decision.

Sounds like a good idea...I'm not really sure how to go about about formatting them, though. Do you just thank them for meeting with you and re-iterate your desire to attend their school?

Sounds like a good idea...I'm not really sure how to go about about formatting them, though. Do you just thank them for meeting with you and re-iterate your desire to attend their school?

Basically. If you had a particularly unique conversation, perhaps remind them of that so they can put a face to the name. My second interviewer asked what books I'd read in a literature course called Minnesota Writers, and we had a good conversation about that, so I mentioned it again in my thank you. I didn't have anything particularly special to mention from my first interview (the guy had a strange sense of humor and was kind of off-putting...glad I don't want to go into his field of study...), so I didn't mention anything specific in that one. Good luck!

rejected by snail mail today. 2 rejections in one day. oh life.

I also had 2 rejections in the same day! It's such a coincidence that it happens that way.

So, did you get that LOD (Letter of Doom) first, or just the reject?

just the reject letter. my advisor encouraged me to apply, otherwise i never would've. I don't like the grading system. i was complete like 2 wks ago but turned my 2ndary in mid-late august.

No news yet, but I'm expecting a hold letter any day now. :|

Best of luck to everyone applying here. :luck:

complete 9/26. No news = good news for now haha
Also I sent an in the area email today

Admitted to UMich - Withdrawing my application to Penn State on Monday. I was really interested in this school but you can't beat that IS state school tuition :)

Best of luck to all of you continuing to apply to this great school, I truly hope you all find a school that's a great fit for each of you.
:luck::luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.