2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't that just mean that there will be less seats available? They way you put it, makes it seem like there are little to no seats remaining for those that are waitlisted. Instead of 2/3 seats filled via wait/hold list, it is now 1/2... or am I missing something?

They probably over accepted expecting a certain number to withdraw

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I think it means. I remember reading that Penn State accepts 3 times their class size expecting about 1/3 of them to accept to which I believe is from 140 - 145. So lets say that they accepted about 400 people and half of them accepted. That's 200 people. So that means the class size is over by about 60 people. So over 60 people would now have withdraw for them to even consider pulling people off the wait list.

This is what I think it means. I remember reading that Penn State accepts 3 times their class size expecting about 1/3 of them to accept to which I believe is from 140 - 145. So lets say that they accepted about 400 people and half of them accepted. That's 200 people. So that means the class size is over by about 60 people. So over 60 people would now have withdraw for them to even consider pulling people off the wait list.

:( Looks like I should start working on my application for 2012-2013...

Members don't see this ad :)

Yea, this is what the professor I spoke with said. Sorry if I didn't clarify. I casually mentioned the full house to one of the other program directors on the phone and he laughed and said it was an interesting situation. (The grad program I also looked at at Penn State also had over-acceptance issues, go figure.)

You never know, there may very well still be a chance. I just wanted to share the info I found out. And as for updating us, the professor agreed & said he'd talk to the Admissions office about that.

Regardless, good luck everyone!

I just called admissions to confirm that the class is full, but he also said movement is always possible during the summer. I'm certainly not holding my breath though.

Thanks for information. Has anyone called admissions to confirm this?

I didn't call Admissions yet, either. I've been scrambling with grad school apps so I'm in school this fall. xD if anyone does call, please update us though!

I just called admissions to confirm that the class is full, but he also said movement is always possible during the summer. I'm certainly not holding my breath though.

Thank you LexieV for confirming the class is full. Best of luck to those that are reapplying to Penn State again!

I must have just missed your post! Thanks for the update!

Yea, this is what the professor I spoke with said. Sorry if I didn't clarify. I casually mentioned the full house to one of the other program directors on the phone and he laughed and said it was an interesting situation. (The grad program I also looked at at Penn State also had over-acceptance issues, go figure.)

You never know, there may very well still be a chance. I just wanted to share the info I found out. And as for updating us, the professor agreed & said he'd talk to the Admissions office about that.

Regardless, good luck everyone!

I called admissions today and asked about this specifically - I didn't get a very specific response. He said he hadn't heard of any issue with over-accepting, and that waitlist movement hasn''t started yet but is "always a possibility." I wish they would give more specific information - it is funny how much so many med schools ask about ethics when the admissions process is often so unethical or at the very least, unfair to applicants. I am thinking of e-mailing about this as I often get a more well calculated response that doesn't seem like they just want to get off the phone because they are annoyed by me. I have a couple of other acceptances which I am extremely grateful for, but my family and my wife's family sure would appreciate good news from Penn State. If anyone finds out more specific info, please continue to update. I do not doubt the info that has been given here (as I said my response was very vague from Admissions) - just know that things can change quickly or clarified.

called them today. said the class is full and to update amcas just in case.

I was waitlisted for the upcoming 2012 academic year. Since I have not heard yet, does anyone know how good my chances are. Penn State is my top choice.

I was waitlisted for the upcoming 2012 academic year. Since I have not heard yet, does anyone know how good my chances are. Penn State is my top choice.

Whatever you do, DON'T read the posts directly above yours because they will not answer your question.

Whatever you do, DON'T read the posts directly above yours because they will not answer your question.

LOL
i-see-what-you-did-there.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email from Penn State today. They're offering two year full-tuition scholarships on a lottery basis to students willing to defer matriculation for one year, so I think the chances of being accepted off the waitlist this cycle are nonexistent. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for those of you still holding out hope. :(

Yeah, those on the wait list are just **** outta luck unfortunately. Side note, anyone accepted thinking of taking the offer? I'm torn cause I haven't signed a lease or moved yet but I also have nothin to do if I don't start school...

Can any current female students comment on the white coat sizing? Do they run big or small? Thanks!

Just received an email from Penn State today. They're offering two year full-tuition scholarships on a lottery basis to students willing to defer matriculation for one year, so I think the chances of being accepted off the waitlist this cycle are nonexistent. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for those of you still holding out hope. :(

OMG. That would have been AMAZING.

that's unlucky, it seems that next years' students will have fewer spots to compete for as well then.

that's unlucky, it seems that next years' students will have fewer spots to compete for as well then.

10-15 fewer spots, according to the last email we received from them. That is unlucky...that's ~7-10% of their typical enrollment.

Wha......bu.....but I........

Welp, good thing I withdrew :mad:

hey all, I'm applying this cycle and pre-writing my essays. How strictly do you have to adhere to the 50 word limit? In the secondary is it a character count (where you can't type past the max)? or a word count (also where you can't type past 50 words)? Thanks!

hey all, I'm applying this cycle and pre-writing my essays. How strictly do you have to adhere to the 50 word limit? In the secondary is it a character count (where you can't type past the max)? or a word count (also where you can't type past 50 words)? Thanks!

If it says word limit, it means word count. If it says character limit, it means character count.

And they are super strict - like, it makes or breaks your application (obviously kidding). Write what you feel necessary, but obviously don't go over. Also, don't give a plain and probably an overused, cliched answer for "Why Penn State?".

If it says word limit, it means word count. If it says character limit, it means character count.

And they are super strict - like, it makes or breaks your application (obviously kidding). Write what you feel necessary, but obviously don't go over. Also, don't give a plain and probably an overused, cliched answer for "Why Penn State?".

Weren't those essays fun? So easy. Honestly, if every required med school essay had been 50 words or fewer, I would have been thrilled. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Well, I officially received a rejected letter from Penn State yesterday, which confused me given the fact that I just submitted my secondary (for 2013) a few days ago. It turns out it was a rejection for the 2012 cycle. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.