2011-2012 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news from tech?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'd like the input of the ppl who applied last year. I just listened to the pre med pod cast tech has and the admissions guy stated that it doesn't matter whether you submit on May 1 or May 31st because TMDSAS doesn't send LOR's until June 1. My question is what about the verification process. isn't it true that the later you wait to submit the longer it will take to verify?

Hello, I'd like the input of the ppl who applied last year. I just listened to the pre med pod cast tech has and the admissions guy stated that it doesn't matter whether you submit on May 1 or May 31st because TMDSAS doesn't send LOR's until June 1. My question is what about the verification process. isn't it true that the later you wait to submit the longer it will take to verify?

There is a processing thread every year where applicants post their submission date and verification date, etc. Here's the one from last year, it should give you some idea on how it takes to be verified at different times.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823106&highlight=tmdsas

Keep in mind most schools don't even look at the applications until late July-early August.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my personal experience, verification is quite fast (in comparison) before July.

When I called last Friday, they told me there hasn't been any movement at all.

Wonder if they are holding out like UTMB?

Someone posted that movement at UTMB will start later this month. I hope that Tech adopted a similar theory this year. I know this is some major wishful thinking but I have a crapy theory on this. Tech is a great school and maybe this year they happened to pick everyone that thought so as well. I just find it hard to believe that the list has not moved because no one has left. (Also, they could have pulled an A&M like the previous year)

Individuals on SDN that posted their rank list never posted Tech in the top half. Based on this, the majority of people who matched to tech are on the waitlist at other schools. Currently, UT Houston, Baylor, and Southwestern are pulling individuals. The trickledown effect will take some time but maybe they are waiting until the movement stops. After May 31 they will know exactly how many spots are needed and who on their alternate list is available. This way they know what they are working with and are able to fill the spots with fewer phone calls with less chance of getting pulled to other schools (which I know is still possible).

Like I said WISHFUL THINKING

If they wait past May 31st they can only offer acceptances to students who are not holding an acceptance to a Tx Medical school. Correct?

If they wait past May 31st they can only offer acceptances to students who are not holding an acceptance to a Tx Medical school. Correct?

That's only for Baylor. All other Texas schools can take you off wait list till the last minute or maybe even first week into school.

I think we are referring to different things. I am referring to this.

From TMDSAS website:

"After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

From TMDSAS website:

"After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

That's correct. Schools cannot offer you an acceptance past May 31 if you already are accepted at another Texas school.

From TMDSAS website:

I stand corrected then.

I was reading the MDApps Info for a guy from last year, he was accepted off waitlist at Tech on June 2, and Galveston two weeks later. Not sure how accurate it is though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stand corrected then.

I was reading the MDApps Info for a guy from last year, he was accepted off waitlist at Tech on June 2, and Galveston two weeks later. Not sure how accurate it is though.

On the UTSW application thread, they were saying that last year's deadline might have been June 15, and that this year they moved it up to May 31.

Going to release my offer, as I recently got another acceptance. Tech and Lubbock grew onto me the last few months! Hope one of you guys can go here :)

Last edited:
I'm also releasing my offer, as I have just received an acceptance offer today from another school. Good luck to all of you waiting to get in! As with strike freedom, Tech and Lubbock really does grow on you. It's a great school, but personally I felt I would fit in better somewhere else. Still, even if I didn't get accepted elsewhere, I know I would have enjoyed my time at Tech!

It has begun!
Awesome news congratulations

Mind if I ask for stats and were you accepted anywhere else?

Congrats Tracy, I'll see you in August! I had 3.75c 3.88s and 28R mcat. I have pretty extensive experience in various specialties.

Have they been calling or emailing to inform you that you're off the waitlist?

thanks! congrats to you as well!

and they called first then emailed once you accept.

Got the call today: Accepted off the OOS waitlist with the scholarship offer! Still waiting on the official email and Merlin update with my status.

I'm pretty sure I'll be headed to Tech now (I was accepted at another school but Tech is so much more affordable!)

Status
Not open for further replies.