2011-2012 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I really loved Tech. Originally it was near the bottom of my list as far as Texas schools went, but my interview day sparked my interest. Since then I've read almost everything I could find about the school and now it is probably my top choice.

I keep teetering back and forth between UTHSCSA (my hometown, originally my top choice "by default") and Tech and would appreciate it if some current or former students could comment on a few specific questions I still have about Tech. I think I'm leaning 90% towards Tech, but want to make sure of a few things before I commit for sure.

1. What is the current policy on recording lectures? I know in the past it could only be recorded by a scribe who would then type up a transcript and only the written transcript was distributed. Then the school started doing audio recordings themselves. Is that still what's going on? Are you disadvantaged by having audio-only recordings with no video?

2. How much time is dedicated for step 1 studying/taking? San Antonio will have ~7 weeks with their new curriculum. I doubt Tech has that much. Is there some kind of integration at the end of 2nd year that brings together all the "blocks", or do you have to review everything independently (and thus need more dedicated study time)?

3. How is 3rd year structured in general? What kind of roles does the average student have on the wards? I'm OK with doing my fair share of "scut" work if that's what it means to be a team player, but I also want to actually get my hands a little dirty and learn what I'm there to learn. Do students have a clear role and do most students feel that their evaluations are fair and objective?

4. How about 4th year? What's the balance of emphasis between primary-care focus and surgery/ER/neuro/ICU/etc focus? I'm still undecided about what I want to do and want a well-rounded experience that is not overly focused on either field. Is it fairly easy to get into electives, particularly if you're going into something that requires a bunch of specific sub-I's or other electives?

5. How are the research opportunities? I'm planning on having a career that revolves primarily around direct patient care, but I could see myself going into academic medicine down the road. Is there enough research to be done (and is it easy enough to get into) to make me competitive for bigger academic programs if I someday choose that route?

6. Do you get the sense that there is any discrimination against Tech students by residency directors because they are ranked "lower" than the other Texas schools? I know rankings are largely tied to NIH funding and appreciate that being a giant research institution is not their mission. I personally don't care about prestige/rankings at all except for what difference it makes, if any, to a residency PD when deciding between two similar applicants from different schools.

7. What's this I hear about a ban on Apple products???

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-match acceptance at 11:48 today! It's gonna be a tough call between tech and TCOM...

Congrats! Those are my prematches, too. TCOM was extremely impressive, and I really like certain aspects of OMM and was looking forward to learning it. I think I'll probably end up at Tech, but may still consider taking an away mini OMM rotation during 4th year or later as CME.

We're lucky to have to make these decisions, but they really are tough when you like more than one place a lot.

So I really loved Tech. Originally it was near the bottom of my list as far as Texas schools went, but my interview day sparked my interest. Since then I've read almost everything I could find about the school and now it is probably my top choice.

I keep teetering back and forth between UTHSCSA (my hometown, originally my top choice "by default") and Tech and would appreciate it if some current or former students could comment on a few specific questions I still have about Tech. I think I'm leaning 90% towards Tech, but want to make sure of a few things before I commit for sure.

1. What is the current policy on recording lectures? I know in the past it could only be recorded by a scribe who would then type up a transcript and only the written transcript was distributed. Then the school started doing audio recordings themselves. Is that still what's going on? Are you disadvantaged by having audio-only recordings with no video?

2. How much time is dedicated for step 1 studying/taking? San Antonio will have ~7 weeks with their new curriculum. I doubt Tech has that much. Is there some kind of integration at the end of 2nd year that brings together all the "blocks", or do you have to review everything independently (and thus need more dedicated study time)?

3. How is 3rd year structured in general? What kind of roles does the average student have on the wards? I'm OK with doing my fair share of "scut" work if that's what it means to be a team player, but I also want to actually get my hands a little dirty and learn what I'm there to learn. Do students have a clear role and do most students feel that their evaluations are fair and objective?

4. How about 4th year? What's the balance of emphasis between primary-care focus and surgery/ER/neuro/ICU/etc focus? I'm still undecided about what I want to do and want a well-rounded experience that is not overly focused on either field. Is it fairly easy to get into electives, particularly if you're going into something that requires a bunch of specific sub-I's or other electives?

5. How are the research opportunities? I'm planning on having a career that revolves primarily around direct patient care, but I could see myself going into academic medicine down the road. Is there enough research to be done (and is it easy enough to get into) to make me competitive for bigger academic programs if I someday choose that route?

6. Do you get the sense that there is any discrimination against Tech students by residency directors because they are ranked "lower" than the other Texas schools? I know rankings are largely tied to NIH funding and appreciate that being a giant research institution is not their mission. I personally don't care about prestige/rankings at all except for what difference it makes, if any, to a residency PD when deciding between two similar applicants from different schools.

Thanks.

Gonna re-iterate these questions. Also very interested in Tech, but still had similar questions.

Ok, so i'm slightly removed from the first two years since i'm now in the middle of 3rd but i'll do my best to answer :)

As far as I know they are still audio recorded. We never really had a scribe. We are given all powerpoints in advance so between the powerpoint and the audio I really don't think it was a disadvantage at all. It might have been nice to have video recordings, but with only audio you are forced to actually pay attention rather than tuning out so I think that is good.

2nd year ends on May 4th (approximately) and you have until 3rd year starts (july 5th or so) to take Step 1. I had PLENTY of study time. I actually chose to take step on June 8th and then take 3 weeks of vacation. Even taking vacation i got the score i really wanted. The school pays for a Q-bank for 7 months (so you can start doing questions in december of 2nd year). They also administer the CBSE exam which is a predictive exam for step. They give it up to 3 times in the spring.

This varies with every rotation. You can basically do as much as you want. You see patients on your own from day one. If you think that something in the patient's care needs to be changed you can always mention it to the residents/attendings. I have suggested things and had them actually implemented in the patients care. In surgery I sutured, drove the laproscope, and even got to put in an IJ catheter. I know another med student that got to put in a chest tube. So far i've thought my evaluations were very fair and rather easy to do well on.

I think we are equivalent to any other school in this area. I'm not a 4th year yet though so i'm not the best to answer this.

If you want research it is there! They will even pay you a stipend (2,000) to do research between year 1 and 2. They will assist in finding a mentor/project for you too. We put a lot of emphasis on patient care, but we have a lot of good research going on too. Most recently we have a PhD who has developed a blood test for alzheimers. It has recently been reproduced (and verified!) by another place. If you are interested in a competitive area the doctors in that field will help you too. I am applying for general surgery and my mentor offered a project for me to do during 3rd year if I want to boost my application.

NOT AT ALL! You can actually see our "match" list on our website. We have people matching to Johns Hopkins, Mayo, Yale, every texas program, etc. We have had plenty of people match into neurosurg, ENT, Derm, Optho, ortho, etc. http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/Residency_and_the_Match.aspx
Plus, I don't mean to put down another school but since you are deciding between tech and UTHSCSA, i think UTHSCSA actually just got put on probation too. Might be worth looking into.

Old news, you can use apple now :D

Thanks.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me for more information.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited:
I generally go to class so I can't give a complete opinion, but on the days when I do listen at home, you don't miss the video. You are going to have your powerpoint slides full screen while furiously typing away. Watching someone move their mouths isn't a huge deal. Although sometimes it's annoying to not be able to see what they're pointing at on a picture.

You review everything independently. No one is going to hold your hand through STEP 1. You get out of school May 5th. Your first day of class 3rd year is July 5th. I think that's roughly 8 weeks. Most people usually take 6 weeks and then use the last two weeks as vacation.

I'm sorry I'm not able to answer any 3rd or 4th year questions.

Yeah, our IT department is full of it. I'd say up to a third to half of the class uses Apple. There is absolutely no problem with using Apple at Tech.

Do schools show up on your ranking list even if you do not get a pre-match offer? If so, how long does it usually take for the school you interviewed at (ie TTU Lubbock) to appear? I interviewed on Dec 16th.

Do schools show up on your ranking list even if you do not get a pre-match offer? If so, how long does it usually take for the school you interviewed at (ie TTU Lubbock) to appear? I interviewed on Dec 16th.

yes, all schools you interview at should show up eventually. the time-frame really just depends on the school. If I were you, I would wait until a few days after the new year and call them if it still hasn't shown up.

Mine took about 10 days to show up, and considering it is holiday season right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they take longer. That being said, you should prob give them a call if it still doesn't show up after next Monday.

After much deliberation, I chose to rank Tech number 1 (which I prematched to). So, I will officially be attending Texas Tech next year. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Potentially. I ranked them #3 and highest of my prematches.

me! after submitting all those required documents, have you gotten anything from them? I'm having trouble activating the tech email stuff so not sure if stuff is getting sent there

Same. See y'all in August!

Last edited:
me! after submitting all those required documents, have you gotten anything from them? I'm having trouble activating the tech email stuff so not sure if stuff is getting sent there

I activated mine about a month ago. No emails yet.

Same for me. Activated my e-mail as soon as I got my acceptance back in November and nothing has been sent to it yet.

I've been in since Oct. because I'm in the FMAT program and I have not received anything, nor have I gotten confirmation on my criminal background check. I emailed them over a month ago to make sure all is well, but nobody has followed up.

Anyway, I can't wait to see you all there. It was a hard decision, but I'm completely happy to be going to TTUHSC.

I've been in since Oct. because I'm in the FMAT program and I have not received anything, nor have I gotten confirmation on my criminal background check. I emailed them over a month ago to make sure all is well, but nobody has followed up.

Anyway, I can't wait to see you all there. It was a hard decision, but I'm completely happy to be going to TTUHSC.
I called in to the admissions office to double check if I was up to date with everything. If you are worried at all, I recommend doing the same.

They also told me that we won't be hearing much out of them until the spring. Then it's paperwork time!

Thanks for the info. I did call and they confirmed all my paperwork but not the background check. Have heard anything in regards to the background check?

Thanks for the info. I did call and they confirmed all my paperwork but not the background check. Have heard anything in regards to the background check?

I asked for an e-mail copy of mine. It was sent to me a few weeks after I signed up for it.

Good morning! Unfortunately I don't have the POC info anymore, but I called the admissions office about my security clearance and they refered me to another office. I then called that office and they verified everything was good to go. Sorry for the pathetic response, but basically as phuddl said, call the admissions office and they won't steer you wrong.

I also just had a copy of my criminal background report sent to my email (they give you the option to receive a copy when you order it). That is the only way I know they have my background check.

Last edited:
I will be doing the MD/MBA program, anyone else committed to that program yet? Is it too early for a FB group yet? Maybe I’ll make one for the class of 2016 if I get a chance. Who else is excited to start!

I will be doing the MD/MBA program, anyone else committed to that program yet? Is it too early for a FB group yet? Maybe I’ll make one for the class of 2016 if I get a chance. Who else is excited to start!

I'm glad somebody else asked the Facebook question...I didn't want to be the first one :)

I wanted to pass a few words of wisdom/encouragement to all of those out there hoping to match to TTUHSC, or trying to decide if it is the right school for them. Sorry I didn't get this out before the pre-match ended, but I got busy and ran out of time...d'oh! :)

I was one of the lucky ones that received a pre-match offer on the first day (didn't interview until Oct 28th), and I only had average stats at best (3.6 GPA, 3.2 sGPA, 30 MCAT). However, what my application did reflect was a strong commitment to primary care, strong leadership, lots of community involvement, and an interest in rural medicine.

I was fortunate enough to receive a few offers from other schools, but after visiting Tech it became my top choice because of the small town family feel of the campus, and it's excellence in primary care (don't get me wrong, they have excellent opportunities in all fields, I just only paid attention to primary care).

My take home messages are these: 1) find the school where you feel you fit in the best, and feel the most comfortable. All schools are good, don't bother splitting hairs. It won't do anything but keep you up at night (trust me, I've tried). 2) As long as you're somewhere in the ballpark, don't worry about your stats too much. If the school thinks you're a fit, they'll invite you.

Hope this helps, and if you find that TTUHSC is the place for you, I'll see you there in August!

I'm definitely going to be there starting this fall as well! Is anyone who interviewed on 09/30 going here fo rsure also??

I have a question about financial aid and FAFSA. I have begun filling out FAFSA and am wondering whether i should or shouldn't fill out the "Parent Financial Information" section.

My Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) for undergrad was really high.... so in the past I haven't gotten anything through FAFSA but as I was filling it out it said I am classified as an "independent" but it also suggested filling out the Parent Financial Information if one is going to be a medical student.

To any current students or other knowledgeable people:

1. What are the benefits to filling out the section?
2. What are the cons to filling out the section?

Bump.. sorry to do this but I wanted to come here before calling the financial aid office.

I'm not a good source, but it is my understanding that you must fill in that information. I could be wrong.

If you're married, over a certain age (25?), or are otherwise legally independent (less than half your financial support is provided by parents) then you do not have to provide their info. Otherwise you do. I don't know what possible benefit there could be to giving the info if you don't have to, especially if their income disqualified you for grants/stafford loans when you did report it during undergrad.

Spoke with Sherri Henry in the financial aid office this morning. You do not need to fill out your parent's income information to qualify for institutional aid.

Spoke with Sherri Henry in the financial aid office this morning. You do not need to fill out your parent's income information to qualify for institutional aid.

Wow that is very surprising! So I'm not gonna filll it out and hope for the best. Thanks!

Wow that is very surprising! So I'm not gonna filll it out and hope for the best. Thanks!

Well FAFSA still requires you to fill out your parents' info if they claim you as a dependent on their tax return. If you are independent then you have the option of either submitting it or not.

If you are a dependent then you don't have the option--you must submit your parents' info.

Even if it is telling me on the FAFSA online form that I am considered independent? I don't understand why it is so confusing..

The FAFSA will ask you a series of questions and then determine if you are a dependent or independent of your parents. The only possible way I think adding your parents info would benefit you is if they don't make a bunch of money and don't have any investments. While this info won't change the type of federal aid you will get (since there is only unsubsidized loans now) it might have an impact on any institutional scholarships a school awards to low income students and those from disadvantaged backgrounds. I am not sure if Tech does this or how much they have to give if they do. However, in your case I doubt you would qualify for anything anyways.

I spoke to someone who said that it was necessary to include parental info.

i think that most med schools require you to disclose your parental information even though it is technically optional

Hey, sorry to chime in late. I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether you include your parents or not.

The fact that you are in Med school means they won't figure in your parents for loans, etc. even if you are still claimed as a dependent on insurance. There is a question on fafsa that asks if you will be an undergraduate or a graduate student. Once you click graduate student they tell you that parent information is optional because you are "independent" as far as they are concerned for financial aid.

Again, it's been a few years since I've filled it out, but i was a dependent and I honestly can't remember if I included my parents or not but my EFC was zero.

Anyone have an idea of how many pre-match offers Tech gave out? Is there a relatively high chance to match or being placed on a wait list?

How does one go about getting the 100$ deposit back? I emailed but got no response...wondering if there is some specific way to go about withdrawing and requesting back the deposit?

How does one go about getting the 100$ deposit back? I emailed but got no response...wondering if there is some specific way to go about withdrawing and requesting back the deposit?

Please tell me the answer to this question if you find out. I am in the same situation.

Matched here!!!!! I'm gonna be a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Congrats guys. Everyone make sure to join the Facebook group that's linked above.

So excited!!!! :) Status not updated on Merlin yet, but it is on TMDSAS!!! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.