2011 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to share some good news w/ my fellow SDN'ers...

I was offered an internship position today & I ACCEPTED!! Hope everyone is doing well :)

BELATED CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Can I ask a quick question. I'll soon be looking at sites to apply to this fall, and am starting to look through AAPIC's website. Could somebody tell me the types of site differences I may find that exist between a "medical school" site and a "state/county/public/other hospital"? I ask because I currently work at a State Hospital (Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas Texas) but that program is ran through the Univ Texas Southwestern Medical School.

Any clarification is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm far from an expert, but in my experience the hospitals are just that: hospitals. Where as medical schools are usually a larger program affiliated with multiple hospitals, CMHCs, sometimes local prisons, etc. I would have loved to have matched to a Med School for the diversity of training. I did interview at UMAss Medical and looooved it; no match tho.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

I too am thinking about applying next year for Internship. I am coming from a CBT program and by the time I apply I will have about 650-700 direct clinical hours, 15 presentations and invited talks, 3-5 pubs (3 now), the kind of research program that would be very appealing to a VA, major med center, and even certain progressive community MH sites nested w/in a larger academic med/hopsital system. Via my research I will have done mayve 15-20 brief neuro batteries, and I will have performed 1 Rorschach and taken a class in the Exner Method (I am trying to beef up my assessment training so I am more competitive). I will have worked mostly in hopsital and community settings university community clinics, major hopsital with a medical population, VA hospital (bmed track), and a family and social medicine community mental health type deal, and will have worked w/ clients 16-90, w/ some medical family therapy experience and lots of group in addition to long-term and breif psychotherapy, lots of seriouis medical illness, pre-surgical evals, a good exposure to substance abuse. So I will have a strong, very bmed oriented cv that does not have tons of assessment and my only SPMI will be outpatient except for the 1 Rorschach client I have done. I still can't tell-is this a targeted app that will make me very attractive to more health oriented sites (what i am most interested, as i want to work in bmed) or am i simply lacking bredth and w/o rounding out my app w/ some inpatient or assessment oriented expereinces (would mean anouther year) i am unlikely to match?

any fb is much appreciated!!!

That looks like a rich array of experience to me..though it is not clear what longer term therapy you have done. As long as you choose an array of sites so that you are not applying only to highly competitive ones (where the sheer odds in numbers make it rough) and have good essay/interview/references you would seem ready to jump in. You seem to be looking for site that fits with what you've already done so I'm not sure how much more you'd gain by waiting a year...though progress on the dissertation is also important.

One of the things not discussed much is the difference across training programs in number and variety of practica and depth vs. variety in clinical experience. Both have their value, but you have to then think about how to present this in relation to what specific sites may seek.

Members don't see this ad :)
That looks like a rich array of experience to me..though it is not clear what longer term therapy you have done. As long as you choose an array of sites so that you are not applying only to highly competitive ones (where the sheer odds in numbers make it rough) and have good essay/interview/references you would seem ready to jump in. You seem to be looking for site that fits with what you've already done so I'm not sure how much more you'd gain by waiting a year...though progress on the dissertation is also important.

One of the things not discussed much is the difference across training programs in number and variety of practica and depth vs. variety in clinical experience. Both have their value, but you have to then think about how to present this in relation to what specific sites may seek.

Thanks docma! Re long-term therapy, I have seen maybe 13 pts between 8 and 18 months, some 2x a week. i want to continue w/ my bmed training as that's really what i want to go into, but have some trepidation that i haven't done an assessment-only training expereince yet (there are only a handful of them in my area--incredibly competitive, and my g-school does not offer it in the clinic)

As long as you have a solid foundation in basic testing and some experience giving tests to actual clients you will be fine for sites that only do selective or limited testing. I don't think assessment-only practica are necessarily a standard. There is a huge variation in how much testing is used or experience is expected in sites, so you need to do research on that relative to each site of interest. Many CMHS sites want you to be able to do testing, but may not need/want more than a few batteries in a year; I think it is also true in many primary care settings. Familiarity with screening and self-report measures can be useful but you are often working quickly and with a high volume of patients who are not around for long enough to do a full battery. Clinical interview skills and actually time in the trenches is of far more interest to selection committees in many of these settings, I think.

Thanks docma! Re long-term therapy, I have seen maybe 13 pts between 8 and 18 months, some 2x a week. i want to continue w/ my bmed training as that's really what i want to go into, but have some trepidation that i haven't done an assessment-only training expereince yet (there are only a handful of them in my area--incredibly competitive, and my g-school does not offer it in the clinic)

I agree that your experience sounds very competitive. I matched at one of the top internship sites that have strong research, and comparing my stats to yours, we're similar (except I had more trauma specialization, less assessment experience and no BMed experience). Get your dissertation moving along, select your sites well, and you should be in great shape. :)

Just submitted my very honest APPIC questionnaire voicing my concerns and opinions about this process. Hope everyone else does too so change can occur!

Hi, I've been vicariously sweating a bit through the application process on here in preparation for next year. I'm sure those of you who have gone through this process this year are exhausted and already looking forward to the next adventures ahead. However, in case you're still checking this site, I was hoping you might have some wisdom, advice or suggestions for the next season of applicants. Are there things you wish you had known going into the process that might be helpful for those of us starting to gear up for the big push? Things that selection committees focused on in interviews that surprised you? I'm particularly interested in child sites with opportunities for research. Much appreciation for any insights you care to pass along . . .

Hi, I've been vicariously sweating a bit through the application process on here in preparation for next year. I'm sure those of you who have gone through this process this year are exhausted and already looking forward to the next adventures ahead. However, in case you're still checking this site, I was hoping you might have some wisdom, advice or suggestions for the next season of applicants. Are there things you wish you had known going into the process that might be helpful for those of us starting to gear up for the big push? Things that selection committees focused on in interviews that surprised you? I'm particularly interested in child sites with opportunities for research. Much appreciation for any insights you care to pass along . . .

Most generally, my two pieces of advice would be: 1) start saving up money now, and 2) get as much work done on your dissertation as possible. The former will make the entire traveling process (which is expensive) less stressful, and the latter will make you more appealing to internship sites.

Definitely focus on dissertation progress. I think it is easy for students to use "preparing for internship applications" as a dissertation-avoidance behavior--then they get so interested in that process that it actually undermines progress on the thesis. This backfires because sites often end up looking at dissertation progress as a rule-out on applications or after the interviews and in ranking. Definitely get your proposal done and defended before applying if at all possible, getting data in is even better. Having actually defended a dissertation or having a defense date set at the time you apply is a huge plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
An obsessive question... do people who had APPIC, APA-accredited internship interviews IN NYC this past year have a sense of when the interviews took place? This may seem ridiculous, but I'm trying to plan my winter break for 2011/2012, so I'm wondering when most interviews take place. December? Early Jan? Mid Jan? Late Jan?

Thanks!

Cornell and Monte were both in mid-Jan. I have heard that some NYC sites interview as early as early Dec and as late as mid/late Jan. I would say avoid scheduling a winter vacation (longer than 2-3 days) because you want to be as available as possible, esp with NYC sites who are not very flexible!

An obsessive question... do people who had APPIC, APA-accredited internship interviews IN NYC this past year have a sense of when the interviews took place? This may seem ridiculous, but I'm trying to plan my winter break for 2011/2012, so I'm wondering when most interviews take place. December? Early Jan? Mid Jan? Late Jan?

Thanks!

NYC sites will interview between early December and mid-to-late January.

I understand that interviews span several weeks in the Dec/Jan months, but I assume that there must be *some* dead time where there are no interviews scheduled, e.g. between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day? Did anyone really have interviews during these days? People have to spend some time with their families over the traditional holiday break, no? I'd be very interested in hearing of any NYC sites (or elsewhere in the East, for that matter) where the site scheduled their regular interviews during this time.

I did have a couple of interviews the week between Christmas and New Year's. It's been several years, though, so I don't remember at which sites.

In the working world, there is no "traditional holiday break." There is Christmas Day and there is New Year's Day. Some sites may be understanding and either not schedule for those days or accommodate those who are away, but you can't count on that. Some are incredibly rigid.

Not related to the holiday week, but just as an illustration, one site took it personally when I asked to reschedule due to a city-wide transit strike! This apparently communicated that I was not *really* interested in their site.

Last edited:
You also have to keep in mind that some sites receive hundreds of applications and may have 100 students to interview in six weeks or so.

Going to agree with the above--other than on the specific holidays themselves (and perhaps the days before and after), it's just safer to assume an interview could occur at any time. However, if you know which sites you're interested in, you can begin checking their websites and APPIC pages now. Sites will sometimes have specific interview dates (or at least general information, such as, "three weekends in January") listed.

This past cycle, I don't recall having any interviews between Xmas and NYE; however, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen. I do know that I had an interview in mid-December, and another one at the end of the first week of January (sometime around the 7th).

The majority of my interviews were in January. I also had interviews in December, but I think it would be possible to avoid doing so. I had an interview-free zone 12/23-1/3.

Specifically, I had interviews on the following dates:

December 14, 15, 22
January 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 14, 19

When possible, I scheduled my interviews earlier rather than later.

ETA: I just realized that you specifically asked about NYC sites. The dates above pertain to sites all over the country (though most were East Coast and none were in NYC).

Last edited:
While sites do interview between the holidays, as a practical matter I would try to avoid choosing an interview during that Dead Zone. Staff who may usually be part of the interview process are more likely to be on vacation, so you'll have fewer people who'll have met you and might vouch for you.

Kind of a specific question - I was wondering if anyone had applied to the Seattle VA and if so did you attend the Open House? What was that like? I'm on the East so I wanted to know what your experience was like with the open house/how it compared to actual interviews? Were you still able to get all your questions answered, etc.?

Several Questions to those who have already gone through this.

1) I was wondering if there is a process that will allow you to undergo the internship matching process, successfully match, and then due to a fellowship (or family - i.e. maternity leave), defer a year? Or do you have to re-apply and go through the match again?

2) For those who've interviewed at or matched at a VA, would experience with that population or PTSD a requirement in your opinion? I'm a child / peds person, but I will have some experience with adults, but it is limited. Although it is not ideal, the only sites available in Lexington are the VA and the Fed medical center (which I am not interested in). Louisville and Cincinnati are much better matches in terms of my interest, but I would like to apply to several VA's nearby to increase my geographic chances if you think the VA would welcome someone who's more child and family oriented. I would be interested in doing groups, couples and family therapy, but doing PTSD and groups for veterans wouldn't be out of the question.

The Lexington VA has some good rotations in family therapy and they seemed to value it. However, as with all VAs, you will inded need experince with adults, especially assessment experience for the Lex VA. I think specific experience in PTSD is not necessary, as VA sites look for canidates that are intereted in learning such things, not those who necesarily have them already.

Last edited:
I think you'll need to have a good answer for, "Why a VA?" and "Why the Lexington VA?" Answering "location" is okay to a point, but you'll really want to look at the fit and available training that the Lexington VA offers. Many VAs would like to train people who want to stay in the VA, but they understand that not everyone has that plan.

I interviewed there a few years ago, and from what I recall, they offer good generalist training. They weren't a good fit for me (I wanted spec. neuro and rehab training), but I still ranked them pretty high because I felt like I would be able to get solid training to round out my skills as a clinician. It also didn't hurt that Lexington is a gorgeous community. :D

Last edited:
In terms of the first question, if someone gets pregnant (or finds out they are pregnant) after the match then the internship director has to work out maternity leave with you. However, they are usually not happy about it and it means you have to stay beyond the set time to complete the hours. I think they only give you 8 weeks off also. You cannot defer a year. If you choose to not take the internship, then you need to put on your application the following year that you matched previously and turned it down. All around it doesn't look good.

Several Questions to those who have already gone through this.

1) I was wondering if there is a process that will allow you to undergo the internship matching process, successfully match, and then due to a fellowship (or family - i.e. maternity leave), defer a year? Or do you have to re-apply and go through the match again?

2) For those who've interviewed at or matched at a VA, would experience with that population or PTSD a requirement in your opinion? I'm a child / peds person, but I will have some experience with adults, but it is limited. Although it is not ideal, the only sites available in Lexington are the VA and the Fed medical center (which I am not interested in). Louisville and Cincinnati are much better matches in terms of my interest, but I would like to apply to several VA's nearby to increase my geographic chances if you think the VA would welcome someone who's more child and family oriented. I would be interested in doing groups, couples and family therapy, but doing PTSD and groups for veterans wouldn't be out of the question.

In terms of the first question, if someone gets pregnant (or finds out they are pregnant) after the match then the internship director has to work out maternity leave with you. However, they are usually not happy about it and it means you have to stay beyond the set time to complete the hours. I think they only give you 8 weeks off also. You cannot defer a year. If you choose to not take the internship, then you need to put on your application the following year that you matched previously and turned it down. All around it doesn't look good.

Interns are not covered under FMLA, and while APPIC does offer some guidelines on working out maternity leave and completion of internship hours and requirements, technically, internship training directors do NOT have any obligation to allow the intern to make up the missed time. While APPIC is open to helping trainees and training directors work out these issues, I was told by Dr. Nadine Kaslow at APPIC that it's at the training director's discretion.

These things are usually worked out, but you should be aware of this.

Kind of a specific question - I was wondering if anyone had applied to the Seattle VA and if so did you attend the Open House? What was that like? I'm on the East so I wanted to know what your experience was like with the open house/how it compared to actual interviews? Were you still able to get all your questions answered, etc.?

I applied to the Seattle VA last year (I assume you mean Puget Sound, right?) and went to the open house. It was VERY different than any other interview day. Provided it has stayed the same type of day, I can tell you that none of the applicants wore name tags to encourage people to ask tough questions. The day was purely about applicants getting information and a vibe for the site; they rank based on application, not on interactions on the interview day(if someone knows differently, chime on in). There were opportunities to talk to individual rotation supervisors at a free-for-all lunch, but most of the day was sitting and listening to panels or listening to the training director.

Although I didn't match to the Seattle VA, I had a very strong positive reaction to the site based on the open house day, and for me it was absolutely worth attending. It's also nice that the Seattle VA, U of Washington and the Portland VA organize their open house/interview days sequentially so that people only have to make one trip up to the Northwest.

I just filled out the Phase II Survey and wanted to share my response to the open ended question at the end:

This may sound dramatic, but this entire process has been the worst experience of my life. I'm so frightened by what this coming year will look like given that there are still so many of us without internships and more and more people applying. I have over 1300 face to face hours, good grades, excellent recommendations, and a history of success in my endeavors. I was a bit lacking in assessments (3 batteries), but I was under the impression that internship was supposed to be a training year, i.e., one continues to develop skills and rounds out relative areas of weakness. However, this does not appear to be the case anymore. It seems that a person must be excellent in every single area, including non-clinical areas of little relevance to the clinical year. The cost of not matching is devastating, emotionally and in relationships, physically (stress and hardship take a toll on the body) as well as financially. Paying for this process again and also paying for another year of "school," when in reality, my requirements are complete is just absurd, and the financial aspect certainly affects the aforementioned emotional and physical issues.

The process itself is also just ridiculous. Sure, someone in medical school flies out to interview for residency, but that person will be there for multiple years. The costs outweigh the benefits for the psychology match. Further, in law and business and medicine, the agency usually absorbs the cost of flights and lodging, yet as poor psychology students, who will likely never make as much money as our business/law/medical counterparts, we must pay for flights and hotels to interview in places we don't want to live (because it's less competitive), must uproot and move (moving in and of itself is a huge expense, particularly if it is across the country and then we have to turn around and do it again in only one year), and end up getting paid around $15,000 and stay there for a only a year. How does this make logical sense? The whole process needs to be reformed from the ground up.

One thing is for sure, if given the chance, I would not have gone into this field again. I'm in too far now to back out, and what's frustrating is that I am good at what I do. I have success with my clients, and my supervisors believe I'm a gifted therapist and have a particular knack for working with adolescents. It's sad that I now encourage people to stay out of this field completely, or go the MFT route instead, particularly when I am very passionate about the actual work that I do; but in my opinion, the match process is ridiculous and punishing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

This may sound dramatic, but this entire process has been the worst experience of my life. I'm so frightened by what this coming year will look like given that there are still so many of us without internships and more and more people applying. I have over 1300 face to face hours, good grades, excellent recommendations, and a history of success in my endeavors. I was a bit lacking in assessments (3 batteries), but I was under the impression that internship was supposed to be a training year, i.e., one continues to develop skills and rounds out relative areas of weakness. However, this does not appear to be the case anymore. It seems that a person must be excellent in every single area, including non-clinical areas of little relevance to the clinical year.
If you look at match #'s from 5 years ago, the totals number of hours across the board seem to have risen (from what I recall), so at some point those numbers become less useful. Programs are then left looking at other points of data to attempt to differentiate students from each other. This may be different for each site, and some sites may value assessment/integrated report writing more than others.
The process itself is also just ridiculous....How does this make logical sense? The whole process needs to be reformed from the ground up.
Many would agree. APPIC has tried to help with cost by doing things online. Some sites are doing Skype and similar to help with travel costs, but at the end of the day...most sites will want to see people in person. I know as both an applicant and as a reviewer, I wanted to see the site and meet the people involved.
One thing is for sure, if given the chance, I would not have gone into this field again. I'm in too far now to back out, and what's frustrating is that I am good at what I do. I have success with my clients, and my supervisors believe I'm a gifted therapist and have a particular knack for working with adolescents. It's sad that I now encourage people to stay out of this field completely, or go the MFT route instead, particularly when I am very passionate about the actual work that I do; but in my opinion, the match process is ridiculous and punishing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I think many people feel this way. I tell people on here all of the time that if they are primarily interested in doing therapy, they should pursue an MA/MS/MSW or similar. I still think doctoral training will best prepare a clinican to do therapy, but there are many more hoops to jump through.

Get feedback about your application, work on your weak points, and do as much prep as you can for your second go around. Many great people didn't match their first time. The system is definitely broken, but at the moment, you just need to work to get through it and hopefully help influence positive changes for future students.

Is it useless to apply to the Boston VA consortium without any publications/presentations?

I just filled out the Phase II Survey and wanted to share my response to the open ended question at the end:

The cost of not matching is devastating, emotionally and in relationships, physically (stress and hardship take a toll on the body) as well as financially. Paying for this process again and also paying for another year of "school," when in reality, my requirements are complete is just absurd, and the financial aspect certainly affects the aforementioned emotional and physical issues.

I can totally understand your sentiment. I think even people that match feel pretty resentful and angry at how unfair the whole process is. Hang in there. I know several people who didn't match the first time around and then matched the second time. They got feedback from the sites and worked on filling in holes in their training (e.g. assessment, did mock interviews, inpatient work etc.).

If you love the work and are committed to it, i think its worth sticking it out for round 2 even though it sucks. I think one unfortunate consequence of the internship process is that people become really resentful of the field and regret going into clinical psychology. In the end once you are licensed and working in the field you may feel otherwise. It may be helpful to remind yourself why you went into the field in the first place and try to remind yourself about how passionate you are about the work.

LindsPsyD - sorry to hear about your negative experience with the Match process. My experience was quite similar - I had excellent qualifications, fantastic interviews, etc., yet no match. I'm still working out the details for what I will do this upcoming academic year, as my dissertation and all other degree requirements have been finished for months, but trying to make the best of it...

I definitely agree with some of the views you expressed re: the excessive financial burden and physical/mental demands of applying and (if you're lucky) attending a time limited internship position. I too, voiced these opinions in the Phase II Survey, as well as my dislike for the Phase II portion of the match. It seems that many sites in Phase II received even more applications than they did in Phase, despite fewer number of applicants, making the odds of matching in Phase II even worse. The main point is that Phase II doesn't do anything to resolve to underlying imbalance and, in my opinion, is a waste of time and energy for all involved. For me, the only redeeming quality of Phase II was that phone interviews were used instead of traveling in person.

My advice to you (and to myself) is to take time for self-care throughout this horrendous process. This thread was an invaluable source of support, so I hope the 2012 thread will be too. :xf:

This may sound dramatic, but this entire process has been the worst experience of my life. I'm so frightened by what this coming year will look like given that there are still so many of us without internships and more and more people applying. I have over 1300 face to face hours, good grades, excellent recommendations, and a history of success in my endeavors. I was a bit lacking in assessments (3 batteries), but I was under the impression that internship was supposed to be a training year, i.e., one continues to develop skills and rounds out relative areas of weakness. However, this does not appear to be the case anymore. It seems that a person must be excellent in every single area, including non-clinical areas of little relevance to the clinical year. The cost of not matching is devastating, emotionally and in relationships, physically (stress and hardship take a toll on the body) as well as financially. Paying for this process again and also paying for another year of "school," when in reality, my requirements are complete is just absurd, and the financial aspect certainly affects the aforementioned emotional and physical issues.

The process itself is also just ridiculous. Sure, someone in medical school flies out to interview for residency, but that person will be there for multiple years. The costs outweigh the benefits for the psychology match. Further, in law and business and medicine, the agency usually absorbs the cost of flights and lodging, yet as poor psychology students, who will likely never make as much money as our business/law/medical counterparts, we must pay for flights and hotels to interview in places we don't want to live (because it's less competitive), must uproot and move (moving in and of itself is a huge expense, particularly if it is across the country and then we have to turn around and do it again in only one year), and end up getting paid around $15,000 and stay there for a only a year. How does this make logical sense? The whole process needs to be reformed from the ground up.

It's a rough process to be sure, and I also voiced my concerns and frustrations on the APPIC survey. I'll say that from what I saw, the current Phase II match looked like an improvement over the former clearing house process, but it's definitely a "lesser of two evils" situation. I greatly respect and appreciate the efforts APPIC is making to address the existing issues, but in the end, there's only so much they can do. The largest burdens and responsibilities lie with APA and individual doctoral programs, and as of yet, I haven't been overly impressed with efforts made on those fronts.

I definitely wish everyone who'll be going through the match again this year the very best of luck.

LindsPsyD - sorry to hear about your negative experience with the Match process. My experience was quite similar - I had excellent qualifications, fantastic interviews, etc., yet no match. I'm still working out the details for what I will do this upcoming academic year, as my dissertation and all other degree requirements have been finished for months, but trying to make the best of it...

I definitely agree with some of the views you expressed re: the excessive financial burden and physical/mental demands of applying and (if you're lucky) attending a time limited internship position. I too, voiced these opinions in the Phase II Survey, as well as my dislike for the Phase II portion of the match. It seems that many sites in Phase II received even more applications than they did in Phase, despite fewer number of applicants, making the odds of matching in Phase II even worse. The main point is that Phase II doesn't do anything to resolve to underlying imbalance and, in my opinion, is a waste of time and energy for all involved. For me, the only redeeming quality of Phase II was that phone interviews were used instead of traveling in person.

My advice to you (and to myself) is to take time for self-care throughout this horrendous process. This thread was an invaluable source of support, so I hope the 2012 thread will be too. :xf:

It's a rough process to be sure, and I also voiced my concerns and frustrations on the APPIC survey. I'll say that from what I saw, the current Phase II match looked like an improvement over the former clearing house process, but it's definitely a "lesser of two evils" situation.

It is definitely the lesser of two evils, as the original Clearing House process was ridiculously stressful for the first day to week. I helped a friend out my match year, and it was crazy how quickly openings were posted and then "closed" because they received 100+ apps in 1-2 hrs. I scanned through the postings/e-mail updates and picked out all of the APA sites, my friend sorted through the site descriptions/did phone interviews/wrote cover letters, while another person ran back and forth to our DCT to get things signed/faxed/e-mailed to the internship sites. Thankfully she matched by the early afternoon, but it was an incredibly stressful few hours for all involved.

I'm just curious if any non-matched applicants from this past year applied to the most recently posted spot/heard back from them. Thanks for the info.

Would anyone please let me know if I need individual supervision for my post practicum program sanctioned hours? Or would group supervision be fine? Thanks in advance!:)

Would anyone please let me know if I need individual supervision for my post practicum program sanctioned hours? Or would group supervision be fine? Thanks in advance!:)

1. why did you post that question in a year old internship thread?
2. I dont know what "post practicum program sanctioned hours" are?
3. If the question was referring to post-doctoral hours, yes, a certain amount of individual supervision per week will be required in those states that require post-doc hours prior to licensure (how many hours per week varies by state).

Last edited: