2011 University of Wyoming interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm7jp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There is no thread or post for University of Wyoming!!! so here I post it for communication.

Does anyone have offered interviews from the school between Feb. 4 - 17?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad someone posted something about WY!!! I was wondering if I was completely missing the thread some where. I got an interview and today got a confirmation for the 7th of February! What is with the "Competency exam"? I'm a little nervous about it since I have no idea what its over.

I will be interviewing on Feb 9th :) I was wondering about the competency exam also, I hope it isn't too bad!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved an interview as well! Im going on the 16th..Im from Reno Nevada, where is everybody else from?

I just adjusted my schedules and everything then I sent e-mail with the first and second choice of interview date. I don't know that they would give a space on my first and second choice of the dates. My first choice of date is Feb. 7th so I can possibly meet "Lily12481". Second choice is Feb. 14th.

Oh... and I am from Richmond, Virginia. If you guys are from out-of-state, would you fly or drive there? Did you decide where would you stay for the night before the interview day?

My interview has been scheduled on Feb. 7th...
Now, I need to look for a flight ticket and the place I can spend a night before the interview date.

Hey Guys! I scheduled mine for the 14th! Im from Kansas. I asked about the competency exam..she said that it was a problem solving math exam that is about what we should already know so cross your fingers hope its not bad! :) If anybody is going on the 14th get back with me maybe we can share a taxi or something. I am coming in on sunday and leaving tuesday. Goodluck everybody!

I just adjusted my schedules and everything then I sent e-mail with the first and second choice of interview date. I don't know that they would give a space on my first and second choice of the dates. My first choice of date is Feb. 7th so I can possibly meet "Lily12481". Second choice is Feb. 14th.

Oh... and I am from Richmond, Virginia. If you guys are from out-of-state, would you fly or drive there? Did you decide where would you stay for the night before the interview day?

I am flying in. If you get the 14th let me know maybe we can stay at the same place and take the same taxi..my hotel is five minutes from school and 12 from the airport..im obviously flying in to laramie airport. :)

The 16th for me. I am flying to Denver on the 15th and then driving up, so if anybody wants a cheap way of getting there or wants to split a double motel room on the night of the 15th then give me a yell.

Congrats to all that received interviews!

I just wanted to let you know that there is a taxi service in Laramie but according the staff at their airport they said it's not too great of a service. You will be charge at least $25 one way. I was planning on flying to the airport and using a taxi, but after talking to the airport people I decided to rent a car when I get there. It's actually pretty cheap with enterprise 34.99. I know there seems to be quite a few people from out of state so I just wanted you guys to know. :)

Congrats to all that received interviews!

I just wanted to let you know that there is a taxi service in Laramie but according the staff at their airport they said it's not too great of a service. You will be charge at least $25 one way. I was planning on flying to the airport and using a taxi, but after talking to the airport people I decided to rent a car when I get there. It's actually pretty cheap with enterprise 34.99. I know there seems to be quite a few people from out of state so I just wanted you guys to know. :)

Thank you for this! I was planning on getting a taxi. In Florida it wasnt expensive at all to get the the hotel and school and they were about 20 and 15 minutes away.

Hey guys, I'm a P1 at UW and I have a couple suggestions. Flying into Laramie directly is EXPENSIVE! I would rather fly into Denver the day before, rent a car and drive to Laramie and stay there overnight. As stated previously, the taxi service in Laramie is...well it's what it is. Not much there. A girl in my interview class from last year had a miserable experience with the Laramie airport and the taxi service. But if there is no other way, you will have to go that route. Another caution if you plan on driving from somewhere...the WEATHER can always become an issue this time of year. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to travel to and from Laramie if there happens to be a surprise storm. Check the weather often and make sure the roads are open. Right now it is quite pleasant, but next week it will be getting a little chilly.

As far as the math test goes...no reason to fret about it. I thought it was simple...just basic math functions. The professor who wrote it ends up teaching PharmCalc the first semester and she just wants to see if you are competent.

Good luck to those interviewing, I will be at the "lunch with the students" section of interview a day a couple different days, so you might see me. Also, relax..the University of Wyoming interviews are very laid back.

I'll be flying up from Phoenix, AZ into Denver (which is where I'm originally from) on Saturday, Feb. 5th. Its the most expensive flight I've ever had to pay for---thanks to the Super Bowl! I'm barrowing my mom's car & driving up Sunday afternoon. I have reservations at the Hilton Sunday night since its across from campus & wanted a decent place to sleep. :)

Pharm7pj- I'll see you on the 7th! My name is Christy. Let me know when you're flying in/where. Maybe we can walk around campus Sunday afternoon & check stuff out in Laramie.

@MichaelHardy- Thanks for the tip on the competency exam! Maybe we'll see you on the 7th!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have scheduled the interview on February 7th, but school issue such as exams conflict the time. The professors also won't let me take earlier or make-up exam. so I would reschedule either on February 14th or 15th.

Hey Christy! It was nice to contact with you. My name is Jeong Ho. Unfortunately I won't make February 7th. But I hope I see you after interview. Let's see on August 2011 as P1 student!

michaelhardy! Thank you for share your experience and the information. I hope see you on my interview date.

Bummer Jeong! I, too, have a bunch of exams around that same time- 4th, 8th & 15th. That sucks your professors won't let you take the exam earlier/later. Shouldn't they be supporting this exciting moment?!? :eek: But at the same time, I understand it from their stand point. Good luck!

What is the nonresident tuition and fees projected for fall 2011? The chart they have is not very good. I do not understand what FT, 1/2T, 3/4T is. Does Wyoming have fixed rate tuition for the four years? I am trying to compare and if the interview is anything like my last one we won't get very detailed information on how much it costs.

michaelhardy if you wouldnt mind giving this information, what is the tuition and fees total for the year of a resident and non resident? Also what is the average cost of apartments there in laramie?

Thank You!

Fastpitch- I can understand your confusion on the chart WY provided. There's not an exact amount of what tuition will be next year (but it seems to be a commen trend to increase tuiton for any school), but based on 2010's class, in-state tuition was $12,806.00 and out-of-state was $26,372.00 (which is still significantly cheaper than many in-state schools!). I don't remember if this includes all fees but I think it does, since I researched all tuition prices for the schools I was applying for.
FT= Full Time
1/2T= Half Time
3/4T= presuming >9credits
I'm not aware of any school having a fixed rate of tuiton for a full 4 years. Its my understanding that the 4th year is cheaper than the previous 4 years because you're doing rotations. Can't help you on the apartment rates but I imagine you can go on ApartmentFinder.com and type the zip code around the school & get a rough estimate.

Since all of the schools starts spring semster, I have had a hard time to manage and adjust school schedule and interview date. Finally, my final interview date has scheduled on February 15th. I will fly in Laramie on February 14th. Hopefully I can meet anyone whoever is in Laramie for University of Wyoming School of Pharmacy. And let me know who will have interview on Feb. 15th.

How's everyone's interview preparation going??

Fastpitch- I can understand your confusion on the chart WY provided. There's not an exact amount of what tuition will be next year (but it seems to be a commen trend to increase tuiton for any school), but based on 2010's class, in-state tuition was $12,806.00 and out-of-state was $26,372.00 (which is still significantly cheaper than many in-state schools!). I don't remember if this includes all fees but I think it does, since I researched all tuition prices for the schools I was applying for.
FT= Full Time
1/2T= Half Time
3/4T= presuming >9credits
I'm not aware of any school having a fixed rate of tuiton for a full 4 years. Its my understanding that the 4th year is cheaper than the previous 4 years because you're doing rotations. Can't help you on the apartment rates but I imagine you can go on ApartmentFinder.com and type the zip code around the school & get a rough estimate.

Thanks for that. I was so confused! I have been doing research but every school has a different system. University of Kansas is the one I know with fixed rate tuition they have had it for quite a while now. I just need to compare and see how much im going in debt next year should I get in! Thanks so much for the help!

If anybody is interviewing on the 14th let me know and we can share a taxi or something! I hear they are really expensive and enterprise and renting a car is not possible for me because of timing and still being expensive! If nobody wants to share a cab thats fine but I will have nothing really to do after my interview so if anybody wants to go have a drink and grab a bite id be happy to go too! Goodluck everybody!

Hey guys, I'm a P1 at UW and I have a couple suggestions. Flying into Laramie directly is EXPENSIVE! I would rather fly into Denver the day before, rent a car and drive to Laramie and stay there overnight. As stated previously, the taxi service in Laramie is...well it's what it is. Not much there. A girl in my interview class from last year had a miserable experience with the Laramie airport and the taxi service. But if there is no other way, you will have to go that route. Another caution if you plan on driving from somewhere...the WEATHER can always become an issue this time of year. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to travel to and from Laramie if there happens to be a surprise storm. Check the weather often and make sure the roads are open. Right now it is quite pleasant, but next week it will be getting a little chilly.

As far as the math test goes...no reason to fret about it. I thought it was simple...just basic math functions. The professor who wrote it ends up teaching PharmCalc the first semester and she just wants to see if you are competent.

Good luck to those interviewing, I will be at the "lunch with the students" section of interview a day a couple different days, so you might see me. Also, relax..the University of Wyoming interviews are very laid back.

Hi Michaelhardy,

I know you said the math test is pretty basic. I graduated a little over two years ago and haven't done much math since except for adding and subtracting. I would like to review some math and was wondering if should focus on calculus. I just want to do well on the test. Thanks for your time!

Hello all...

I am a P3 at Wyoming and I can try answer any questions you might have...

@ tatabox, don't worry about calculus...the math competency stuff is more college algebra than calculus...expect ratios and the like. For instance, you have a solution that is 20mg/ml and you need to make a solution that is 5mg/ml, how many ml of the original solution and how much sterile water would you need to make 10 ml of the 5mg/ml solution.

Best tip I can give you all is to be relaxed and be sure to ask current students questions at the "lunch with the students" portion. Chances are all of the current students you will eat lunch with have had some interaction with all of the people that will be interviewing you, so we can tell you what your interviewers are like.

@fastpitch, the P3's have a big test on the 14th, so there will be a bunch of P3s going out for a drink or dinner afterward...hit us up

Good luck to you all!

oh...here is my solution to the above question....10ml*5mg/ml=50mg...so 50mg*(1/20mg/ml)=2.5ml so 2.5ml of original solution plus 7.5ml sterile water=10ml

Fastpitch & anyone else who is interested-
WY did post the tuition amounts for next year. Here's the link to the site and click on the "Academic Year 2011-2012" & it will bring up an Excel spreadsheet, then scroll to Pharmacy:

http://www.uwyo.edu/SFA/Cost of Attendance/index.html

The #'s I posted previously only included tuition & fees for 2010-2011 (does not include books, living expenses, etc).
And I could use a beer or two now! :D My flight leaves tomorrow morning! I'm getting excited!

Hello all...

I am a P3 at Wyoming and I can try answer any questions you might have...

@ tatabox, don't worry about calculus...the math competency stuff is more college algebra than calculus...expect ratios and the like. For instance, you have a solution that is 20mg/ml and you need to make a solution that is 5mg/ml, how many ml of the original solution and how much sterile water would you need to make 10 ml of the 5mg/ml solution.

Best tip I can give you all is to be relaxed and be sure to ask current students questions at the "lunch with the students" portion. Chances are all of the current students you will eat lunch with have had some interaction with all of the people that will be interviewing you, so we can tell you what your interviewers are like.

@fastpitch, the P3's have a big test on the 14th, so there will be a bunch of P3s going out for a drink or dinner afterward...hit us up

Good luck to you all!

oh...here is my solution to the above question....10ml*5mg/ml=50mg...so 50mg*(1/20mg/ml)=2.5ml so 2.5ml of original solution plus 7.5ml sterile water=10ml

Thanks alot for the example question! Now I'm not so worried about the math test. I'm excited to come out to Wyoming for the interview.

I just have a quick question about attire. Of course everyone knows to dress professionally, in the interview invite email they suggest us bring a pair of shoes to walk around for the tour. Do you think it's necessary? Also this will be my first interview do you think it would be appropriate if I bring my cell phone but keep it on silent?

Thanks for the tips!

As for shoes, I guess I don't have any advice as I'm a guy...the tour takes you around the campus and given the weather this time of the year, heals might be a bit hard to walk around in, so flat shoes would be fine. As for your cell phone...just make sure it is on silent or vibrate, and maybe turn it off during your interview....for the most part you will have time to check your phone from time to time and maybe reply to someone, but be sure to turn it off during your interview...when are you scheduled for your interview?

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the roll call for 2014/2015. Please post in the sticky thread or PM me your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).:)

Congrats to all of you!

A shout out to earnievdb...i'm also a P3...can you take a guess?;)

Few takes on the interview day…

Transportation: Denver and Laramie airports are both good options so whichever works for you. If you fly into Laramie, make sure you get a rental. Enterprise will pick you up so check it out for hours of operation and book your flight appropriately. If you fly to Denver, make sure you check the weather for driving conditions.

Dress code: As you already know….it’s professional. It’s been quite cold here for the past week so make sure you dress appropriately for the weather as well (winter coat/jacket, scarf, and gloves). As for shoes, soft rubber soles if you have them. It can be icy and slippery if it happens to snow while you’re here in town.

Competency test: Just like Michaelhardy said, the math test is simple algebraic

Interviews: Make sure you review what you put on your application because some interview questions might stem from it depending on the interviewers. The interviews are very laid back so relax and be yourself.

Housings: I think that housings here are easy to find. They run from about $500 and up for a one-two bedrooms apartment depending on the location and whether or not you want to share. Check out the link below for some examples.
http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/classifieds/portalclassifieds4.asp
or The boomerang (local newspaper)

Disclaimer: I tried to be as specific and as accurate as possible but use at your own risks.

Hope I answered some of your questions.

Again Congrats and good luck.

Hi All-
I had my interview update yesterday & I felt that it went really well. The math test seemed pretty easy to me- had typical calculations that were previously mentioned above & even stuff that I remembered doing in middle school! :laugh: Essay portion was good, nothing to stress about. JoAnn did a great job putting together a packet for all the interviewees & also provides a list of apartments to check out. You'll get to love Maria Bennett, who pretty much hosts the morning. They did not end up doing a campus tour because it was so cold, but instead gave us a tour of the pharmacy school, which I thought was much better! They may do this for the rest of the interview days. JoAnn & the staff were super nice and made you feel welcomed and relaxed (although the nerves were still there!).
Good luck everyone!

Hi All-
I had my interview update yesterday & I felt that it went really well. The math test seemed pretty easy to me- had typical calculations that were previously mentioned above & even stuff that I remembered doing in middle school! :laugh: Essay portion was good, nothing to stress about. JoAnn did a great job putting together a packet for all the interviewees & also provides a list of apartments to check out. You'll get to love Maria Bennett, who pretty much hosts the morning. They did not end up doing a campus tour because it was so cold, but instead gave us a tour of the pharmacy school, which I thought was much better! They may do this for the rest of the interview days. JoAnn & the staff were super nice and made you feel welcomed and relaxed (although the nerves were still there!).
Good luck everyone!

Thanks!! i m interviewing on Thursday...I am very nervous but excited as the same time.
Any last moment suggestion on preparing?

Is the competancy exam just math and an essay? Or are there more subjects? I hope everybody does well! I have yet to start preparing due to my school load lately:( I still have a couple days though, I fly in on tuesday and my interview is the following day. Is anybody else's on the the 16th?

Oh and do you guys have any advice of the "dont do's or say's" in an interview? Thanks, I really appreciate it!

I just had my interview with Wyoming about 3 hours ago. The math test was really simple, multiple choice and simple algebra. The essay was simple too, 1 page describing something. The hardest part for me was the actual interview which i'm pretty sure I bombed. My mouth was so dry and I didn't have any water, and I was way too nervous. Hopefully I'll do better on my next interview.

oh no! Im sorry! What kind of questions did they ask you?

Did everyone hear back from UWY?

Any good news?

Did everyone hear back from UWY?

Any good news?

Hi,

I received my acceptance on Monday, but had to decline unfortunately since I was accepeted a few weeks ago by CU. Best of Luck to you!!

Did anyone in this thread apply to the University of Kansas School Of Pharmacy for fall 2011 admission?

If so have you received an interview invite?

Has anyone on the waiting list heard back?

Hello everyone I just got an invitation at UW school of pharmacy and I'm little bit nervous bcuz they only accepted 20 out state students.. And want to knw abt the math problem and the sample writing essay... And pus what kind of question they are asking at the interview