2012-2013 Central Michigan Thread??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow Chips, made this account after being accepted from the december 1 group awhile back. Congrats to all others, and good luck to those waiting! I am waiting to hear anything from one one more OOS school, but it is looking like I will definitely be attending CMU in August! Came to SDN to see if anyone has created a CMU inaugural class Facebook group yet? Anyone interested enough to start one? I am not very good with that stuff or else I would myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey just wanted to say congrats to everyone that has been accepted this year! I was accepted to CMU in December. I am curious to learn about my fellow classmates thus far. Message me or let's get something going so everyone can start getting to know each other since Central's curriculum is going to have up rely on each other a lot.

Interviewed 1/12. I felt it went really well but got waitlisted. :( Really upset about this. Good luck to others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just wanted to say congrats to everyone that has been accepted this year! I was accepted to CMU in December. I am curious to learn about my fellow classmates thus far. Message me or let's get something going so everyone can start getting to know each other since Central's curriculum is going to have up rely on each other a lot.

That's a good idea! I can't find a facebook group and I'm not great with this stuff, but I will go ahead and get the group started. I need at least one friend to add to the group to start it. Could either of you two add me on facebook so I can invite you to the group to start it up? You can PM me your names :)

Does anyone know how many students they are interviewing this year for the 60 spots?

To anyone who's following the facebook group idea, we're going to hold off on starting it until March. That way most people will have heard back from all schools and will be pretty sure where they will be attending.

I think it's about 350 students. I think CMU has been doing one interview day since November and they do about 70 students a day. I think March will be the last month for interviews. Hope this helps and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rejected just now by email. Gud luck to others still in the game!

I'm very sorry to hear that! Was it pre or post-interview?

I think it's about 350 students. I think CMU has been doing one interview day since November and they do about 70 students a day. I think March will be the last month for interviews. Hope this helps and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was there on Saturday, which they said was their last interview session. They said the interviewed aproximately 360 people total. They will have issued 80 acceptances to try reaching the 64 slots and will send out more acceptances later on if needed to fill the 64 openings.

Good luck to those waiting to hear from that last interview day! Maybe after your decisions are released we will find out about a second look date that was mentioned :)

Got my phone close by.... hoping I get a call today from CMED. *fingers crossed* I am supposed to be studying for cell bio exam tomorrow but I am having troubles focusing. Loved this school, top choice... Good luck to any of others waiting around today for a determination.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from last interview date 2/9? They had said yesterday but perhaps it is taking longer? The waiting is killing me ...

I interviewed on 2/9 also and I still haven't heard anything yet. So you're not alone! In the next few days we'll either be receiving an acceptance phone call or a rejection/waitlisted email =/

Phone calls are being made today. I interviewed on 2/9 and got my offer a little after noon today. Good luck to you all.

Phone calls are being made today. I interviewed on 2/9 and got my offer a little after noon today. Good luck to you all.
Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Did you interview in the morning or afternoon session? Do you know if they called everyone today?

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Did you interview in the morning or afternoon session? Do you know if they called everyone today?

IS (from rural MI), 34, 4.0, but not a lot of clinical experience though. I interviewed in the afternoon.
I'm not sure if they called everyone on Saturday, the lady I talked to said she got a list late Friday and was making calls today.

Does anybody know what the dress code is?
Thanks!

so this thread pretty much died after the last interview date received their determinations. Anyone out there seen or heard of waitlist movement? I unfortunately received a "hold" which I imagine unless significant waitlist movement occurs, is equivalent to a rejection.

I was there on Saturday, which they said was their last interview session. They said the interviewed aproximately 360 people total. They will have issued 80 acceptances to try reaching the 64 slots and will send out more acceptances later on if needed to fill the 64 openings.

80 acceptances does not sound right. Most established schools still accept 1.5 to 2 times their number of open seats. Some new schools last year had to accept 3 times as many applicants as seats. I have no doubt they will have to accept more than 80 students.

80 acceptances does not sound right. Most established schools still accept 1.5 to 2 times their number of open seats. Some new schools last year had to accept 3 times as many applicants as seats. I have no doubt they will have to accept more than 80 students.

In my interview they said that this number would be the initial amount of acceptances given. Since they are a new school the lcme has very strict rules that they cannot accept beyond their stated class size and to avoid potential problems they will only initial invite the 80 or whatever students. As they recieve notices that they are not going to attend they will extend more offers. They are choosing to be conservative because of their new status and strict guidelines.

In my interview they said that this number would be the initial amount of acceptances given. Since they are a new school the lcme has very strict rules that they cannot accept beyond their stated class size and to avoid potential problems they will only initial invite the 80 or whatever students. As they recieve notices that they are not going to attend they will extend more offers. They are choosing to be conservative because of their new status and strict guidelines.

Like I said, the total number of offers they will extend will be >80. Guaranteed. It's not a statement of the quality of the school, it's a problem every new school since FSU opening in 2001 has had.

It'll most likely end up like this:

80 initial offers go out to really great candidates. Most of those really great candidates also get into other schools. Most of those accepted candidates reject the offer, for lots of different reasons. They send out another batch of acceptances, and repeat the process.

As a new school, Central will have to "prove itself" and in an attempt to do so, will try to attract a lot of big number, top heavy applicants, but those applicants are also pretty attractive to other schools, so it'll be pretty tough to get them there.

Last year, another more established but still new, non-accredited school had to go through 3x the number of open spots to fill the class. I would expect about the same, if not more, for Central.

Well I certainly hope that is the case, that is likely the only shot I have here. I really liked the school, but certainly could see concerns some may have over the lack of an established track record. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Who remembers what the C.A.R.E.S. weeks are for/stand for/ consist of that are worked into our schedule?? I know this was in the booklet they sent out around the holidays but I can't find mine. Thanks!!

Hey everybody, been reading this thread for a while and just wanted to let people on hold know that there is still hope!! I was on hold for a month and a half, and halfway through march I received an email informing me that I had been shifted to waitlist. Hold does not mean over.:thumbup:

Hey everybody, been reading this thread for a while and just wanted to let people on hold know that there is still hope!! I was on hold for a month and a half, and halfway through march I received an email informing me that I had been shifted to waitlist. Hold does not mean over.:thumbup:

That is awesome! When did you interview? Also are you instate or out of state? This thread has been so dead lately its good to hear something is going on!

That is awesome! When did you interview? Also are you instate or out of state? This thread has been so dead lately its good to hear something is going on!
I interviewed early January, and heard I was on hold in February. I am in state 3.6/30

Finally made the difficult decision to withdraw my acceptance at Central. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

CMED has received 2,765 applications for its inaugural class of 64 students and has interviewed 350 applicants. The college offered acceptance to 78 applicants, and, of those applicants, 70 have accepted. Another 85 applicants have been wait-listed.

The students who have been offered acceptance have an average GPA of 3.65 and an average MCAT score of 29. Yoder said Michigan residents make up 90 percent of the current offers and wait listings.
-from article online

CMED has received 2,765 applications for its inaugural class of 64 students and has interviewed 350 applicants. The college offered acceptance to 78 applicants, and, of those applicants, 70 have accepted. Another 85 applicants have been wait-listed.

The students who have been offered acceptance have an average GPA of 3.65 and an average MCAT score of 29. Yoder said Michigan residents make up 90 percent of the current offers and wait listings.
-from article online

Wow I had thought they would have more people not accept their offers being a new school. Granted we still have not reached the may 15 deadline so you would think that may still change. Also not that big of a waitlist. Thanks for posting!

Did everyone that applied to CMED get that email about taking the survey or only the people that got accepted? I got it late Friday and I thought I was rejected but the email sounded like it was only sent to people that were accepted. I am calling the Monday to ask about it. I was just wondering what others thought...

Did everyone that applied to CMED get that email about taking the survey or only the people that got accepted? I got it late Friday and I thought I was rejected but the email sounded like it was only sent to people that were accepted. I am calling the Monday to ask about it. I was just wondering what others thought...
Replied to the email and got a "We accidentally selected our 'losers' email list instead of 'winners'. Don't respond as we don't care about your opinion." response (That's not what they actually said, for those without a funny bone, but that is the gist of it!). So, that's that :laugh:

Replied to the email and got a "We accidentally selected our 'losers' email list instead of 'winners'. Don't respond as we don't care about your opinion." response (That's not what they actually said, for those without a funny bone, but that is the gist of it!). So, that's that :laugh:

Gee wonder what that makes me then. As not being accepted I am not a "winner" and I didnt get it so, is that below loser? Lol

Officially withdrew my acceptance here yesterday. Good luck to everyone on the wait list! (I'm sure movement will pick up in the next week)

I was accepted off the waiting list last Friday.. Very excited to be a part of this inaugural class!!

Do you know how strict they are with the 200 hour clinical volunteering requirement? I'm not even close to that number but i'll probably have it by the end of the summer, I was wondering if I should apply anywhere. I'm a MI resident and really interested in the program.

Do you know how strict they are with the 200 hour clinical volunteering requirement? I'm not even close to that number but i'll probably have it by the end of the summer, I was wondering if I should apply anywhere. I'm a MI resident and really interested in the program.

I'm not sure that they are too strict with that. As I don't remember being asked specifically on any secondary application or anything regarding that. I also don't know that I had that many hours prior to applying. I would now, but they didn't even know that I had obtained a medical related job prior to an interview invite. SO I would say you should definitely go for it if you are interested.

Thanks. I will have 200 hours prior to matriculation, but I don't think that counts. :smuggrin:

The 200 Hours need to be met prior to matriculation, not application. These hours are determined by information found under the AMCAS Experiences and any additional information supplied by the applicant.

Thank you for the answer! Good to know that some schools are so proactive with answering questions on an unaffiliated message board, it's very much appreciated.

Congrats and good luck to everyone attending CMED. Looks like a great school. I officially got a rejection letter today so I will not be attending.

Congrats and good luck to everyone attending CMED. Looks like a great school. I officially got a rejection letter today so I will not be attending.

Were you waitlisted?? I am waitlisted and haven't heard anything (yes or no). I'm waiting for my rejection since it seems like so many people have already heard back :'(

Sigh. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.