2012-2013 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Has any member of your family ever been employed by or on staff at either Hofstra University or any entity of the North Shore – LIJ Health System? If yes, please explain.

2. If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now.

3. If your education was interrupted for any reason, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time.

4. Have you ever been subject to any investigations, actions, or convictions (either institutional or legal)?

5. Please share anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
trying to decide if i should apply here. i read about the graduate housing hofstra offers, but the common area is shared. does anyone know about close-to-campus options for us married folk?

trying to decide if i should apply here. i read about the graduate housing hofstra offers, but the common area is shared. does anyone know about close-to-campus options for us married folk?

There are married people/people living with significant others in our class this year. There are apartments and houses for rent in places like Mineola, East Meadow, Levittown, Franklin Square and Westbury that people live in.
There isn't any on-campus couples housing, but there are a plethora of options less than a 15-minute drive from school.

And now everyone has same firepower for secondaries. Spoiler alert. lol Fortunately, I am not applying until entering class of 2014, so hopefully by that point they will go public with an awesome residency match list.

What so you guys think the odds are if you have a strong LOR from a faculty member of the medical school at a given university? Like, one of the lecturers or clinical instructors?

What so you guys think the odds are if you have a strong LOR from a faculty member of the medical school at a given university? Like, one of the lecturers or clinical instructors?

The same as if you had a LOR from a non given university. LORs are one of those minimum requirements and don't give you the chance to rise above the crowd, they only hurt you if you don't have them or if they are poor, they don't really help you. If you want an advantage that comes from GPA, MCAT score, clinical experience, graduate programs and applying early.

Members don't see this ad :)
The same as if you had a LOR from a non given university. LORs are one of those minimum requirements and don't give you the chance to rise above the crowd, they only hurt you if you don't have them or if they are poor, they don't really help you. If you want an advantage that comes from GPA, MCAT score, clinical experience, graduate programs and applying early.

meh I disagree-I think it depends how powerful/well known the LOR writer is to the adcoms. I'm not saying you'll get accepted, but maybe an increased chance of an interview at the given institution.

If the writer maybe writes why you'll fit the school (i.e. faculty from Hofstra writes why you would fit Hofstra), I think it will help.

I don't think anyone can accurately answer this question, but to say it has no effect without knowing all the details is incorrect.

meh I disagree-I think it depends how powerful/well known the LOR writer is to the adcoms. I'm not saying you'll get accepted, but maybe an increased chance of an interview at the given institution.

If the writer maybe writes why you'll fit the school (i.e. faculty from Hofstra writes why you would fit Hofstra), I think it will help.

I don't think anyone can accurately answer this question, but to say it has no effect without knowing all the details is incorrect.

I can see your point as after all it does give a nice in-house feel.It just seemed to me the poster was making the in-house letter seem like a magic bullet.

I can see your point as after all it does give a nice in-house feel.It just seemed to me the poster was making the in-house letter seem like a magic bullet.

Yeah I agree, a letter will not get you in. Unless your last name is Pearlman ;)

Secondary received!

Did you get the secondary or just an acknowledgement email? I got an email saying they'd be sent in the next week or so as long as you pass the screen (25 MCAT, 3.0 GPA)

I got the acknowledgement last night and received a secondary link this afternoon. :)

I got the acknowledgement last night and received a secondary link this afternoon. :)

sweet i got the acknowledgement email today so hopefully i'll get mine tmrw. do you mind sharing with us what essays there are?

No problem! It's pretty standard stuff.

1. Has any member of your family ever been employed by or on staff at either Hofstra University or any entity of the North Shore – LIJ Health System? If yes, please explain.

2. If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now.

3. If your education was interrupted for any reason, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time.

4. Have you ever been subject to any investigations, actions, or convictions (either institutional or legal)?

5. Please share anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention.

My link to the secondary is not working. Is that a problem for anyone else?????

Are you trying to open it in Firefox? For some reason, the link in the email has a space at the end that confuses Firefox. I just deleted the space at the end of the URL and it worked fine for me. I hope that helps!

Are you trying to open it in Firefox? For some reason, the link in the email has a space at the end that confuses Firefox. I just deleted the space at the end of the URL and it worked fine for me. I hope that helps!
Oh yeah it worked. Thanks!

By the way, is anyone writing anything specific in the additional information question or leaving it blank?

Could we get a character/word limit on those secondary questions :D thanks so much!!!

Any opinions on that last question? The tone of this secondary seems pretty much like a formality/just get it done. Should we go crazy about "why Hofstra?" or unique adversity, something like that?

Edit: Just now reading that this question was just asked.

Any opinions on that last question? The tone of this secondary seems pretty much like a formality/just get it done. Should we go crazy about "why Hofstra?" or unique adversity, something like that?

Edit: Just now reading that this question was just asked.
I was really just going to write how I was born and raise on Long Island and the North Shore-LIJ hospital and that I really want to practice medicine on Long Island. Then I was going to talk about "Why Hofstra".

OMG I HAVENT GOTTEN MY SECONDARY YET.

The lack of such a statement in this thread needed to be rectified.

OMG I HAVENT GOTTEN MY SECONDARY YET.

The lack of such a statement in this thread needed to be rectified.

Haha thats probably because they gave us a verification email saying that we'd all get a secondary :laugh:

Just got the Hofstra secondary!

Under the 'Status' tab, there is a documents section which lists the schools attended, and it lists our transcripts as "missing." Does this mean we have to submit transcripts to Hofstra directly?

Just got the Hofstra secondary!

Under the 'Status' tab, there is a documents section which lists the schools attended, and it lists our transcripts as "missing." Does this mean we have to submit transcripts to Hofstra directly?

I submitted mine to AMCAS for verification, and it shows my transcript under that tab. Maybe you should email them?

On a side note, where do you upload your pic? Theres a check box for it under Status, but I can't find a button to upload :confused:

I submitted mine to AMCAS for verification, and it shows my transcript under that tab. Maybe you should email them?

On a side note, where do you upload your pic? Theres a check box for it under Status, but I can't find a button to upload :confused:

i had the same problem for the picture too...idk maybe if u get accepted for an interview u can upload one later? and i don't you have to get ur transcripts sent to Hofstra directly

I just submitted. I also have that my transcripts are missing. It says to send the transcripts to AMCAS so I'm not sure why they are missing.

"Please share anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention."

Anyone else leaving that blank?

Anyone else having trouble accessing the application site?

is anyone complete? my status still shows they're waiting for letters of rec. submitted about a week ago.

I got my complete email, but I'm still waiting on one letter to get to AMCAS. Does that mean they're just going to start reviewing me without it? It's a science letter, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.