-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Panic Thread
Started by punkedoutriffs
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm definitely wearing a suit to my next interview. I feel like it was a rookie mistake. But how serious an offense was it? It's not like I wore blue jeans and a t-shirt... I wore something I thought was businesslike.
Jeans, regardless of the color, are never considered business formal.
Just FYI, there's a whole thread with 16 pages of advice and questions on women's interview clothing.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842732&page=16
I'm definitely wearing a suit to my next interview. I feel like it was a rookie mistake. But how serious an offense was it? It's not like I wore blue jeans and a t-shirt... I wore something I thought was businesslike.
Fair enough, but for future reference jeans are never business-like. Not even a $5k pair of jeans.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm definitely wearing a suit to my next interview. I feel like it was a rookie mistake. But how serious an offense was it? It's not like I wore blue jeans and a t-shirt... I wore something I thought was businesslike.
Yea, I kind of cringed when I read the jeans. It'll make you memorable, but maybe not for the best reason. You're basically interviewing for a professional position, you should look like it.
I've heard a stories from advisers who received interview feedback from medical schools about clothes being inappropriate so I wouldn't risk it.
Wearing your dad's ill-fitting black suit would look a hundred times more professional than what you wore. You still have a shot at getting in the school though.
I'm definitely wearing a suit to my next interview. I feel like it was a rookie mistake. But how serious an offense was it? It's not like I wore blue jeans and a t-shirt... I wore something I thought was businesslike.
I haven't read any of your posts, but make sure everything you write is sickenly politically correct. You'll be very easy identify as you may legitimately be the only person in the past 5 years to wear jeans to a medical school interview.
I haven't read any of your posts, but make sure everything you write is sickenly politically correct. You'll be very easy identify as you may legitimately be the only person in the past 5 years to wear jeans to a medical school interview.
They didn't look like jeans, they looked like dress pants. They were solid black, the closest thing I own to dress pants. My mom said she couldn't tell the difference - you had to touch them to know they were made of denim.
D
deleted127837
how does science GPA factor into the admissions process? How would it play into LizzyM scores?
Hypothetically, which is most desirable and least desirable:
3.87 cgpa with 3.53 sgpa
or
3.74 cgpa with 3.7 sgpa
or
3.53 cgpa with 3.87 sgpa
Balance. This isn't the thread for this, though.
There was a huge amount of variation for women and I think so long as you look professional and feel comfortable, it's fine. Some wore suits, some wore skirts with a blouse. I saw a really nice sweater and dress pant combo. Really, if it is something you would be comfortable with your doctor wearing, it should be fine for the interview. Please make sure though, that if you wear a skirt it is at least knee length and doesn't ride up when you sit down.
Just a headsup guys ... you don't need to wear a 3-piece suit or even a formal suit for the interview. They require you to be 'professionally' dressed as if you were heading to a clinic i.e. formal shirt (full sleeves + collar), a tie and formal pants and shoes. You may or may not have a coat over that or a sweater.
And these are the essentials for your weekly clinical visits in first term. Don't bother buying a suit (at least for 1st year ... cant say for Year 2). Just make sure you have a couple formal shirts and pants for your clinical visits and skills class.
In short, you get no bonus points for wearing a business suit but you get points discounted if you are shabby and unkempt.
(Taken from premed101, the Canadian premed forum.)
Hmm.... I had a feeling it was a cultural difference between Canada and USA, since everyone I spoke to about my outfit thought it was absolutely fine. Even the M3 - I was wearing the outfit when I shadowed her.
I hope it wasn't a dealbreaker, because I think I did awesome on the interview in all other respects. I wore the exact kind of thing I see female doctors wear in the hospital all the time under their labcoats. That's why I chose it.
Also, when I told my interviewer at the end of the interviewer that I love the school and would be glad to attend, he told me that I "have a good chance."
how does science GPA factor into the admissions process? How would it play into LizzyM scores?
Hypothetically, which is most desirable and least desirable:
3.87 cgpa with 3.53 sgpa
or
3.74 cgpa with 3.7 sgpa
or
3.53 cgpa with 3.87 sgpa
Door number 2
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
They didn't look like jeans, they looked like dress pants. They were solid black, the closest thing I own to dress pants. My mom said she couldn't tell the difference - you had to touch them to know they were made of denim.
In a room full of actual dress pants those jeans most certainly did not look like dress pants.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
In a room full of actual dress pants those jeans most certainly did not look like dress pants.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
I had a one-on-one interview and my interviewer didn't see any of the other applicants. So he didn't have anything to compare me to. I feel like it was just super-lucky.
Also, he was a guy. He didn't even notice my anatomically-correct heart necklace. I doubt he noticed my lack of dress-pants. They were dark black jeans and my shirt covered the telltale jean parts like the buttons and the pockets.
(Taken from premed101, the Canadian premed forum.)
Hmm.... I had a feeling it was a cultural difference between Canada and USA, since everyone I spoke to about my outfit thought it was absolutely fine. Even the M3 - I was wearing the outfit when I shadowed her.
I hope it wasn't a dealbreaker, because I think I did awesome on the interview in all other respects. I wore the exact kind of thing I see female doctors wear in the hospital all the time under their labcoats. That's why I chose it.
Also, when I told my interviewer at the end of the interviewer that I love the school and would be glad to attend, he told me that I "have a good chance."
That feel...When you are so sure and really hope that someone is trolling, only to read more of their posts and realize they are 100% serious...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sigh another waitlist today...losing hope fast
+1 man. This is the worst feeling in the world.
D
deleted127837
Another Monday, another empty inbox 

Ugh same, I don't want to wait until January :/
I had a one-on-one interview and my interviewer didn't see any of the other applicants. So he didn't have anything to compare me to. I feel like it was just super-lucky.
Also, he was a guy. He didn't even notice my anatomically-correct heart necklace. I doubt he noticed my lack of dress-pants. They were dark black jeans and my shirt covered the telltale jean parts like the buttons and the pockets.
Yes he did. You don't become an interviewer just to interview one person for the entire season.
Chances are everyone else he's seen has had the decency to put on dress pants.Yes he did. You don't become an interviewer just to interview one person for the entire season.Chances are everyone else he's seen has had the decency to put on dress pants.
Hahaha I know that. I just think those "jeans" could have easily passed as dress pants.
Then again, what do I know? My family is completely lacking in professionals, and the hospital I work at is super-casual.
Hahaha I know that. I just think those "jeans" could have easily passed as dress pants.
Then again, what do I know? My family is completely lacking in professionals, and the hospital I work at is super-casual.
No excuse. You have access to the internet at the least, TV, magazines, and even this site! Just know that you're "that guy" or "that girl" that people saw and will most likely talk about when the topic of what to wear and not to wear at interviews comes up

Hopefully your choice in attire didn't have a negative impact on your chances. Please post back here with the results. Good luck 👍
D
deleted127837
Alright everyone, I think we've railed on this topic enough. Point made.
How is everyone's Monday's going? I'm waiting to hear back on some follow up thank-you-type notes.
How is everyone's Monday's going? I'm waiting to hear back on some follow up thank-you-type notes.
Alright everyone, I think we've railed on this topic enough. Point made.
How is everyone's Monday's going? I'm waiting to hear back on some follow up thank-you-type notes.
Shouldn't you assume you won't be getting a reply on thank you notes?
I'm not panicking about the cycle right now since I won't hear back from any of my schools until late january to march. So for now, I guess I can panic about finals this week?
My inbox is waiting for an II. Just putting it out there, universe.
got an interview last week from Mount Sinai. I was complete in July!
Another Monday, another empty inbox![]()
same.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lately I've been panicking about how I'm going to pay off my interview debt. Anyone else freaking out about credit cards?
Lately I've been panicking about how I'm going to pay off my interview debt. Anyone else freaking out about credit cards?
YES. I've started looking for part time jobs- no idea how I'm going to pay this off AND save up for a move/apartment deposit etc. ugh.
*edit, I already have a full time job, looking for additional work I can do evenings and/or weekends
Lately I've been panicking about how I'm going to pay off my interview debt. Anyone else freaking out about credit cards?
Paying for the flights really does put a damper on the elation of II's. I'm planning to look for a part time job after this semester just to get something coming in.
Lately I've been panicking about how I'm going to pay off my interview debt. Anyone else freaking out about credit cards?
Yup. I've got $3k of application cycle debt to pay off. Got about $3k in my savings account, but I'm trying to save that for as long as possible. Hopefully the credit card will be down to zero by June.
Still waiting for ii as well. Looking at you SLU and Rush.
![]()
Same for me with Rush, Loyola, UofI, and several others...but mostly Rush. 🙁
![]()
Same for me with Rush, Loyola, UofI, and several others...but mostly Rush. 🙁
Man, Loyola... I regret scheduling it so early in the cycle. It was my first MD interview and I think my nervousness really showed (result = wait list). A lot of my answers also sucked and I really wish I had saved it for later.
got an interview last week from Mount Sinai. I was complete in July!
Congrats! But you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for people like me--complete in July and no interview at Mount Sinai.
Congrats! But you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for people like me--complete in July and no interview at Mount Sinai.
👍Shouldn't you assume you won't be getting a reply on thank you notes?
I'm not panicking about the cycle right now since I won't hear back from any of my schools until late january to march. So for now, I guess I can panic about finals this week?
I got a reply almost right away: "It was a pleasure!!"
Not sure if that's a good sign, or if interviewer is just super nice.
I got a reply almost right away: "It was a pleasure!!"
Not sure if that's a good sign, or if interviewer is just super nice.
Looks like you got what is referred to as, "the reply of death"
Unless they mention something specific to you in their reply, it pretty much means they've written you off into the "Rejected but be nice to them" pile.
D
deleted127837
Shouldn't you assume you won't be getting a reply on thank you notes?
I'm not panicking about the cycle right now since I won't hear back from any of my schools until late january to march. So for now, I guess I can panic about finals this week?
I've gotten nice replies from every school I got positive results at. The only schools I got waitlisted or otherwise at I didn't get replies from.
Lately I've been panicking about how I'm going to pay off my interview debt. Anyone else freaking out about credit cards?
ITT: Things I'm trying not to think about 😛
![]()
Looks like you got what is referred to as, "the reply of death"
Unless they mention something specific to you in their reply, it pretty much means they've written you off into the "Rejected but be nice to them" pile.
Or they just don't remember you at the time they receive the e-mail. Things could still work out when you get to the adcom meeting. In my experience, if they aren't interested in you, they simply stop replying.
Forgot to include a troll face. But I've only sent one thank you note, no reply, accepted. So many schools discourage thank you notes, so I wonder how much affect they really have on your application?
I sent them as a courtesy, I don't really expect them to have an impact either way.
I didn't know schools discouraged them. 😕
I sent them as a courtesy, I don't really expect them to have an impact either way.
I didn't know schools discouraged them. 😕
lol at one of my interviews both the dean and my interviewer specifically said not to send thank you notes.
i honestly doubt they would make much of a difference, i can't see a thank you note bumping you from almost accepted to accepted. unless all of the other interviewed people were dicks.
I sent them as a courtesy, I don't really expect them to have an impact either way.
I didn't know schools discouraged them. 😕
+1
Unless the school specifically says "do not send thank you notes," it's best to send one, no?
Also, the reply could've always been worse. It could've just been a "thank you". "It was a pleasure!!" with two exclamation points seems to point in a positive direction.
Although at this point in time, speculation is kinda silly, especially for minutiae like that. My mentor, whom I shadow weekly at the hospital, loves me to bits and is always excited to see me, yet his replies are always extremely terse and cold because he's super-busy and hates using email. You can't really tell all that much from an email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mods close this thread. User "once" made an epic argument that makes this thread's very existence meaningless and downright idiotic.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Seriously, now I see the flaw in my ways. I should just toke one up and forget that I ever even applied.
D
deleted127837
My thank you's are more like follow-ups - questions I developed post-interview, etc. Hence the wait for an answer.
Once clearly has missed the purpose of the Panic Thread. It's about mutual support, not a bastion of neuroticism and wellspring of despair.
At least, not until March, anyway.
Once clearly has missed the purpose of the Panic Thread. It's about mutual support, not a bastion of neuroticism and wellspring of despair.
At least, not until March, anyway.
My thank you's are more like follow-ups - questions I developed post-interview, etc. Hence the wait for an answer.
Once clearly has missed the purpose of the Panic Thread. It's about mutual support, not a bastion of neuroticism and wellspring of despair.
At least, not until March, anyway.
I thanked them for their time, discussed certain aspects of the program I loved, and for the male interviewer I got along really well with, sent him a link to my publication we spoke a lot about (and he seemed really impressed and curious about it in particular). I also sent him the newspaper article for a crazy but super-interesting case study I used as an example for an answer to one of my questions.
For this particular case I didn't feel it was appropriate to bug them with questions. Especially since they answered all of mine in the info session right before the interviews.
Yes! Another Monday without any response!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 89
- Views
- 13K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K