2012-2013 SUNY Buffalo Wait list Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks wizedw! :)

:luck: Accepted off the Wait List!!!! :luck:
Top Third
buffalodoc128's friend--A:4/2
Member1011290---------A:4/18
parks-------------------------A:4/25, I:2/27

Middle Third
Azarraga's friend---------A:4/1
Giantra Volta--------------A:4/24

Bottom Third

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Waitlisted
Top Third
cdriscol---------------------I:12/12
sportsmeddoc------------I:2/13
pmont-----------------------I:3/6
ClotBuster-----------------I:10/17
ClownTown1234---------I:
fi2iend-----------------------I:2/6
wolfchek--------------------I:3/20

Middle Third
buffalodoc128-------------I: 11/21
Menemachus--------------I: 1/16
sunnybuffalo---------------I: 2/13
akw42-----------------------I: 3/6
khorasanchi---------------I: 4/3
zab00maf00---------------I: 3/20 (moved up from bottom 3rd ~4/01)
Batman MD----------------I: 4/17

Bottom Third
TheOddOne----------------I:4/3

dnovikov---------------------I:3/21

Members don't see this ad.

Did not know their was a wait-list thread. I am in the upper third I was moved there on 4/25 from the bottom third and I interviewed 1/16. Thanks for making this list.

EDIT: Does anyone know how many people are on the wait-list all together?

I'm guessing somewhere around 550? They said they usually interview around 600 and that they were trying to reduce that number this year. Take away a handful of post interview rejections and acceptances, I'm assuming somewhere in the ballpark of 500-550. That would make each "third" around 180-200. I think the class size is around 150 (I might be recalling that incorrectly though...) and that most schools accept around 2-2.5X their class size; that would mean they will have around 300-375 acceptances. Given that UB is not a top top top tier school (I would still give anything to go though!) and that their (fairer) system of admitting students makes them vulnerable to more people turning them down, I'd guess that they accept more in the 375-400 range.... which would mean they should accept all of the top and middle thirds and possibly some of the bottom third! Anyways, I know this was more than you asked for, but hopefully that makes at least one person out there feel better! haha

Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Waitlisted
Top Third
ClownTown1234---------I:1/16

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! when I called to find out why I had been moved up from the bottom third to the top he went out of his way in the conversation to say that EVERYONE in the top third will be offered an acceptance. Definitely a good sign but we have to keep a level head until that official acceptance comes. Also someone posted (in the main UB thread) the history of the wait-list over the past 8 or 10 years and in EVERY single year they had reached the middle third including two years where they reached the bottom third. Put that all together and it's a sign for optimism but again, we cant get ahead of ourselves here.

yeah, but I think it was more like every year in the past 6 or so years they reached the bottom third except two years where they only got into the middle third. I think, either way, you're in pretty good shape. I, on the other hand, have more to sweat!

Added Crinklyturtle to the list from the application thread. I hope we start seeing some more movement soon!

Top Third
crinklyturtle-----------------A:5/2, I:

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Thanks! when I called to find out why I had been moved up from the bottom third to the top he went out of his way in the conversation to say that EVERYONE in the top third will be offered an acceptance. Definitely a good sign but we have to keep a level head until that official acceptance comes. Also someone posted (in the main UB thread) the history of the wait-list over the past 8 or 10 years and in EVERY single year they had reached the middle third including two years where they reached the bottom third. Put that all together and it's a sign for optimism but again, we cant get ahead of ourselves here.

So did you figure out how you made that jump? I've been in the middle third for a while now since mid-January

So did you figure out how you made that jump? I've been in the middle third for a while now since mid-January

Yes. When I saw that jump I called just to make sure I was reading that right and Mr. Russo told me that they had a glitch when they ranked me (and others) incorrectly. Although I was listed as Bottom Third, I was meant to be upper third. So I personally didn't do anything after my interview to change my ranking it seems as if they just had a glitch is all. This happened on the 25th and a few other people on the main thread reported that their ranks had changed as well.

yes. When i saw that jump i called just to make sure i was reading that right and mr. Russo told me that they had a glitch when they ranked me (and others) incorrectly. Although i was listed as bottom third, i was meant to be upper third. So i personally didn't do anything after my interview to change my ranking it seems as if they just had a glitch is all. This happened on the 25th and a few other people on the main thread reported that their ranks had changed as well.

+ 1

Yes. When I saw that jump I called just to make sure I was reading that right and Mr. Russo told me that they had a glitch when they ranked me (and others) incorrectly. Although I was listed as Bottom Third, I was meant to be upper third. So I personally didn't do anything after my interview to change my ranking it seems as if they just had a glitch is all. This happened on the 25th and a few other people on the main thread reported that their ranks had changed as well.

Have all the people on the wait list now been accurately listed??? Is it possible for someone on the upper third, for example, to be changed as lower???

Have all the people on the wait list now been accurately listed??? Is it possible for someone on the upper third, for example, to be changed as lower???

I would assume if they found this glitch they probably double checked everyone else too. The admission staff is great there and although a poor mistake I would assume by now they have fixed it. You can always call and ask and mention how you heard about the glitch from SDN and wanted to make sure you were ranked properly. As for someone moving down, I am not sure and haven't heard of any movement down in general from previous threads or even from people reporting they had this glitch happen to them and had it fixed in which they moved down.

I would assume if they found this glitch they probably double checked everyone else too. The admission staff is great there and although a poor mistake I would assume by now they have fixed it. You can always call and ask and mention how you heard about the glitch from SDN and wanted to make sure you were ranked properly. As for someone moving down, I am not sure and haven't heard of any movement down in general from previous threads or even from people reporting they had this glitch happen to them and had it fixed in which they moved down.

If someone moves from the bottom third to the upper third, then someone from the upper third would be bumped down to the middle third and someone from the middle third would be bumped to the lower third. So if there was a glitch that caused several people to move up, then the glitch would cause the same amount of people to move down. Right? I guess that's not how it works.

If someone moves from the bottom third to the upper third, then someone from the upper third would be bumped down to the middle third and someone from the middle third would be bumped to the lower third. So if there was a glitch that caused several people to move up, then the glitch would cause the same amount of people to move down. Right? I guess that's not how it works.

Yes, mathematically and logically that makes sense. Unfortunately this whole medical school application process seems void of logic hah. But again from what I've heard from other applicants and past years threads, their have been no SDN reports of people moving down the WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, mathematically and logically that makes sense. Unfortunately this whole medical school application process seems void of logic hah. But again from what I've heard from other applicants and past years threads, their have been no SDN reports of people moving down the WL.

hear hear, truer words have never been spoken.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope it helps with the waitlist movement. Good luck everyone !

I don't think this is necessarily true. It seems the glitch is in transferring positions from the wait list to the status page. If that's the case, then you wouldn't see people being knocked down because no one's position on the wait list is actually changing, their status is just being fixed. The reason I think this is the case is because we have seen people accepted off the middle third. In reality I think they were at the top of the wait list but the glitches caused their status page to be incorrect while the master wait list was right.

I don't think this is necessarily true. It seems the glitch is in transferring positions from the wait list to the status page. If that's the case, then you wouldn't see people being knocked down because no one's position on the wait list is actually changing, their status is just being fixed. The reason I think this is the case is because we have seen people accepted off the middle third. In reality I think they were at the top of the wait list but the glitches caused their status page to be incorrect while the master wait list was right.

That makes sense.

Accepted today!
[COLOR="Magenta" said:
:luck: Accepted off the Wait List!!!! :luck:[/COLOR]
Top Third
cdriscol----------------------A:5/6, I:12/12

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Hi everyone, I was just accepted off the top third wait list today, I had interviewed in march!!
woohoo!!! does anyone know anything about housing information? i think i had heard that they have a weekend for students to come up and look at the school again as well as look at housing? or is that just their second look weekend?? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I was just accepted off the top third wait list today, I had interviewed in march!!
woohoo!!! does anyone know anything about housing information? i think i had heard that they have a weekend for students to come up and look at the school again as well as look at housing? or is that just their second look weekend?? Thanks!

congrats! just wondering, did you get this acceptance by email? and btw it seems that the majority of students live off campus.

Just got accepted off the upper third unfortunately I dont think I will be attending. I will make my official decision tomorrow. My acceptance came in an Email.

Thought I'd update the list since there's been some movement lately. Hopefully it keeps up! Also, I called the admissions office today and Mr. Rosso said that there's definitely turnover and that the movement so far seems to be going similarly compared with last year. It's still early and that pretty much doesn't mean anything right now but it's still a good sign I suppose.

Accepted today!

Congrats!

Congrats! Not having been accepted (yet :xf: ) I don't really know much about the second look weekend or anything but I did see someone either on this thread or on the main UB thread say something about second look being cancelled this year due to budget cuts so you might want to look into that.

Just got accepted off the upper third unfortunately I dont think I will be attending. I will make my official decision tomorrow. My acceptance came in an Email.

Congrats, and good luck wherever you end up!

And... the list:

Top Third
Gsanto123-----------------A: 5/9. I: March
ClownTown1234----------A: 5/9, I:1/16

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Today I declined my acceptance. I really hope it goes to one of my fellow SDNers! Good Luck everyone!

hey...wed, may 15, is supposedly the day we should start seing significant wait list movement right?

hey...wed, may 15, is supposedly the day we should start seing significant wait list movement right?

That's what the word is. Not sure if it really applies to Buffalo though. Because of their unique accepting and waitlisting methods, I'd expect a more prolonged and drawn out waitlist movement than the traditional huge push on/near May 15. You still might see a small increase in movement on/near May 15 though. Seeing as how you're in the top third, you have nothing to worry about!

That's what the word is. Not sure if it really applies to Buffalo though. Because of their unique accepting and waitlisting methods, I'd expect a more prolonged and drawn out waitlist movement than the traditional huge push on/near May 15. You still might see a small increase in movement on/near May 15 though. Seeing as how you're in the top third, you have nothing to worry about!

thanks! Interestingly enough, i was just accepted lol good luck, hope to see you there!

Thought I'd update the list since there's been some movement lately. Hopefully it keeps up! Also, I called the admissions office today and Mr. Rosso said that there's definitely turnover and that the movement so far seems to be going similarly compared with last year. It's still early and that pretty much doesn't mean anything right now but it's still a good sign I suppose.

Congrats!

Congrats! Not having been accepted (yet :xf: ) I don't really know much about the second look weekend or anything but I did see someone either on this thread or on the main UB thread say something about second look being cancelled this year due to budget cuts so you might want to look into that.

Congrats, and good luck wherever you end up!

And... the list:

:luck: Accepted off the Wait List!!!!! :luck:
Top Third
fi2iend------------------------A: 5/13, I:2/6

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Accepted 05/13! Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Added fi2iend

Top Third
fi2iend-----------------------A:5/13, I:2/6

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Accepted off waitlist upper third... Unsure if I will take it...

Accepted today!

Top Third
pmont------------------------A:5/14, I:3/6

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Congrats to you all! Hope the good news keeps coming for us all! Updated the below for botts22 and cdriscol who was listed twice.

Top Third
botts22----------------------A: 5/14, I:

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Congrats to you all! Hope the good news keeps coming for us all! Updated the below for botts22 and cdriscol who was listed twice.

Thanks! That upper third is thinning out, hopefully it'll be us middle third-ers' time soon!

Just wanted to add myself to the waiting list- middle third.

Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third
jojok--------------------------I: 4/17

Bottom Third

Today's the day! Hopefully we get some more movement

Accepted today off top third!!!! Will be attending!!! Super excited. I truly wish you all the best and hope it all works out for everyone.

Accepted today off top third!!!! Will be attending!!! Super excited. I truly wish you all the best and hope it all works out for everyone.

Congrats! and Good luck to everyone else!

Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Accepted off top third this afternoon. Interviewed January 2nd.

Top Third
wolfchek--------------------A:5/15, I:3/20
m3d1c1ne-------------------A:5/17, I:1/2

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

-

not yet accepted anywhere, waitlists at 4 schools including buffalo. And the dates were best estimates.

Friend got in off top third yesterday and another off middle third today

I got in off top third a couple of days ago. I'm going to have to pass, I really loved this school but they took too long.

Friend got in off top third yesterday and another off middle third today

Thanks for the info! Hopefully that means they're in the middle third...? Clotbuster, you're the last person in the top third to not indicate that you've been accepted. Have you received an acceptance recently?!

I got in off top third a couple of days ago. I'm going to have to pass, I really loved this school but they took too long.

Congrats on your other acceptance(s)! Good luck wherever you end up and thanks for another open spot! :thumbup:

Let's keep this list movin!

Top Third
wolfchek--------------------A:5/15, I:3/20
sportsmeddoc------------A: 5/20, I:2/13
m3d1c1ne's friend-------A: 5/20

Middle Third
m3d1c1ne's friend 2----A: 5/21

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Top Third
buffalodoc128's friend----A:4/2
Member1011290-----------A:4/18
parks---------------------------A:4/25, I:2/27
crinklyturtle-------------------A:5/2, I:
cdriscol------------------------A:5/6, I:12/12
Gsanto123-------------------A: 5/9. I: March
ClownTown1234-----------A: 5/9, I:1/16
fi2iend-------------------------A:5/13, I:2/6
pmont--------------------------A:5/14, I:3/6
botts22------------------------A: 5/14, I:
wolfchek----------------------A:5/15, I:3/20
sportsmeddoc--------------A: 5/20, I:2/13
m3d1c1ne's friend--------A: 5/20

Middle Third
Azarraga's friend----------A:4/1
Giantra Volta---------------A:4/24
m3d1c1ne's friend 2-----A: 5/21

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Top Third
buffalodoc128's friend----A:4/2
Member1011290-----------A:4/18
parks---------------------------A:4/25, I:2/27
crinklyturtle-------------------A:5/2, I:
cdriscol------------------------A:5/6, I:12/12
Gsanto123-------------------A: 5/9. I: March
ClownTown1234-----------A: 5/9, I:1/16
fi2iend-------------------------A:5/13, I:2/6
pmont--------------------------A:5/14, I:3/6
botts22------------------------A: 5/14, I:
wolfchek----------------------A:5/15, I:3/20
sportsmeddoc--------------A: 5/20, I:2/13
m3d1c1ne's friend--------A: 5/20
ClotBuster------------------ A:5/2, I:10/17

Middle Third
Azarraga's friend----------A:4/1
Giantra Volta---------------A:4/24
m3d1c1ne's friend 2-----A: 5/21

Bottom Third

Currently Waitlisted
Top Third

Middle Third

Bottom Third

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Copying this over from a post I made in the general UB thread. At this point I think it's more relevant in this thread:

"Found this little gem in last years WL thread for those interested, courtesy of SDN user InvaderZim. I added the 2012 info from reading the posts within said thread,

year --- entered mid 1/3 --- ended within the
2013 -- 21-May
2012 -- 29-May -------------- bottom 1/3 (switched to on 7-July)
2011 -- 13-May -------------- bottom 1/3 (switched to on 22-June)
2010 --- 01-Jun -------------- bottom 1/3
2009 --- 19-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2008 --- 19-Jun ------------- mid 1/3
2007 --- 18-Jun ------------- mid 1/3
2006 --- 16-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2005 --- 23-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2004 --- 28-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2003 --- 18-May ------------- bottom 1/3

Hopes this helps everybody!"

Copying this over from a post I made in the general UB thread. At this point I think it's more relevant in this thread:

"Found this little gem in last years WL thread for those interested, courtesy of SDN user InvaderZim. I added the 2012 info from reading the posts within said thread,

year --- entered mid 1/3 --- ended within the
2013 -- 21-May
2012 -- 29-May -------------- bottom 1/3 (switched to on 7-July)
2011 -- 13-May -------------- bottom 1/3 (switched to on 22-June)
2010 --- 01-Jun -------------- bottom 1/3
2009 --- 19-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2008 --- 19-Jun ------------- mid 1/3
2007 --- 18-Jun ------------- mid 1/3
2006 --- 16-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2005 --- 23-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2004 --- 28-May ------------- bottom 1/3
2003 --- 18-May ------------- bottom 1/3

Hopes this helps everybody!"

Did you call to see if they entered the middle third or are you simply going by what SDN is indicating? Because I called today and Mr. Rosso said they were still in the top third but maybe you called after me?

Nah, I trusted SDN and assumed that once someone got in from the middle (post-all-that-glitch-business) then it was all done with the upper 1/3. I think all the former data is compiled from purely SDN info too, or at least that's what I'll keep telling myself to feel better. I suppose that it's not an exact science switching between 1/3's now that you mention it, but what else is new with this whole process?

Status
Not open for further replies.