2012-2013 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email, putting me on the alternate list. I guess they just created one!

+1. What are chances of acceptance from the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received one as well. I swear I saw a threat last year where they said chances of getting in off the alternate list are pretty decent but I've not been able to find it.

Last edited:
Just received one as well. I swear I saw a threat last year where they said chances of getting in off the alternate list are pretty decent but I've not been able to find it.
I remember seeing that, it written in early April though. It seems like they did things differently this year. Definitely people will be taken off the alternate list, I just don't know how many. Anyone else have a feel on how optimistic we should be right about now? Obviously I'm already prepping for next year just in case.

I wonder if anyone was actually rejected from the hold list.
Or even if anyone did not get this email. Maybe they just enjoy sending out mass emails to everyone. I sure enjoy receiving them haha.

I just got the email too. Anyone know which health form they are referring to? It also seems strange that they would have us complete BLS course without an acceptance. How much does the BLS certification typically cost?

Or even if anyone did not get this email. Maybe they just enjoy sending out mass emails to everyone. I sure enjoy receiving them haha.

ditto on that one.

I remember seeing that, it written in early April though. It seems like they did things differently this year. Definitely people will be taken off the alternate list, I just don't know how many. Anyone else have a feel on how optimistic we should be right about now? Obviously I'm already prepping for next year just in case.

i am prepping to reapply for 2014. if everyone on hold is being placed on the alt list, i dont have good feelings about starting at downstate in aug.

I just got the email too. Anyone know which health form they are referring to? It also seems strange that they would have us complete BLS course without an acceptance. How much does the BLS certification typically cost?

I believe these are the forms: http://sls.downstate.edu/student_health/forms.html

I did ask them for clarification when I wrote back so not sure yet.

It wouldn't make sense to just place everyone from the hold list to the alternate list. They must have downsized their pool of applicants they will call upon should any seats become vacant. I too was placed on the alternate list.

I was on the hold list but didn't get an alt list email :/ Am I the only one?

EDIT: I just got an acceptance call! My heart is palpitating. I'm definitely going here. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

I can confirm that it will definitely be P/F next year. There is also a "pass with distinction" thing that will be cumulative for the two pre-clinical years as an optional gold star students who meet certain criteria can apply for (details still being finalized.)

Also I think someone was asking for the link to the unofficial facebook group for the class of 2017. It currently has a lot of students from other classes so it's a good source of information and is particularly helpful if you are figuring out housing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/331653843620262/

I was on the hold list but didn't get an alt list email :/ Am I the only one?

EDIT: I just got an acceptance call! My heart is palpitating. I'm definitely going here. Good luck everyone!

I did not get the alt list email either. I'm on hold but haven't received "those emails" in April and May either :/

I did not get the alt list email either. I'm on hold but haven't received "those emails" in April and May either :/

Maybe you should give them a call? That's an awful long time without contact from admissions

wow we have to get a physical and do a BLS class to keep our alternate list position...who else is doing the BLS class at Downstate on 6/16?

also, has anyone called to find out where on the alternate they are? do they rank it in some way?

Maybe you should give them a call? That's an awful long time without contact from admissions

Well..I was initially put on hold before interview and ended up interviewing VERY late. Got email that I'm on the hold list a few weeks after the interview. Since then, no updates in terms of application status besides confirming that they received my LOI.

Congrats on your acceptance btw!! =)

I didn't get the alternate email either, got the email in April but not in may... I officially give up on trying to figure out what anything means.

I didn't get the alternate email either, got the email in April but not in may... I officially give up on trying to figure out what anything means.

May be I'm too pessimistic about this whole process, but FAQ on SD website says that they will either reject/accept or put people on the alt. list from hold.

I'm waiting for rejection letter. To tell the truth, my interview went pretty bad from the very beginning, so I was surprised they put me on hold. It was just unlucky day for me...

'wondering how many people haven't heard anything since the "hold for spring consideration" email?

Has anyone who applied for on-campus housing heard back with a room assignment yet?

Also, good luck to you guys still waiting! I'm rooting for you!

See my latest post. If you're interested I will be offering BLS on 6/16 and 6/30 on-campus

REMINDER- BLS Classes on Campus

There are limited spots available for the upcoming BLS classes on campus.

Cost: $70 per person -cash or check.

Location: 5th floor carrels (Carrel: 5C) in the Health Sciences Building.

Length: 3 hours.

Dates:
- Sunday 6/16 at 9:30 AM
- Sunday 6/30 at 9:30 AM

To sign up email: [email protected]

You can also visit our website: http://sites.google.com/site/learncprnow

I look forward to hearing from you,

Justin Hakimian, MD
PGY-4 Cardiology Fellow
New York Hospital Queens
AHA Certified BLS Instructor

Just got accepted off the alternate list (which I was placed on last week...since being on Hold since NOVEMBER after interviewing in OCTOBER)!!!!! Its still moving everyone!! GOOD LUCK!!

Just got accepted off the alternate list (which I was placed on last week...since being on Hold since NOVEMBER after interviewing in OCTOBER)!!!!! Its still moving everyone!! GOOD LUCK!!

Did you send in all the information they requested? Health forms, BLS training, etc..

I had my transcript sent last week but they still haven't received it, didn't do BLS yet, didn't send in health forms yet.

Accepted my offer of admission today! Withdrew from SUNY Buffalo.

Interviewed 2/25.
Hold for Spring 4/16
Hold for July notification 5/21
Acceptance by phone 6/3

Totally unexpected since the second email said I wouldn't hear until July. I really loved UB but I can't pass up Downstate. I Can't believe my good fortune and an very excited to start in August!

Hopefully it keeps going that way. Congrats.

Congrats everyone on getting in lately! Have you guys completed the AAMC Financial Aid Literacy? I completed all the little modules and they say "complete"--but there was no completion page or anything.

Emailed admissions and they said there should be some sort of completion certificate that I can send them. Sadly I don't find anything on the site. Anyone else have luck or complete the admissions checklist yet?

Congrats everyone on getting in lately! Have you guys completed the AAMC Financial Aid Literacy? I completed all the little modules and they say "complete"--but there was no completion page or anything.

Emailed admissions and they said there should be some sort of completion certificate that I can send them. Sadly I don't find anything on the site. Anyone else have luck or complete the admissions checklist yet?

Wondering the same thing.. I've also completed the modules but didn't get anything I could send to admissions. Anyone know about this?

Anyone else receive a second e-mail confirming the alternate response form? I just got one two days after already receiving one.

Anyone else receive a second e-mail confirming the alternate response form? I just got one two days after already receiving one.

Yep, same thing.

These medical forms are a royal pain in the butt. I wasn't born in the US so I had a TB vaccine given when I was born and now my tests always show up positive. Apparently proof of having been vaccinated is not enough to rule out TB even though I've had X-rays taken about 5 times at this point which always come back negative.

That and I've just realized I have no chicken-pox immunity so I have to get vaccinated for that as well.

Yep, same thing.

These medical forms are a royal pain in the butt. I wasn't born in the US so I had a TB vaccine given when I was born and now my tests always show up positive. Apparently proof of having been vaccinated is not enough to rule out TB even though I've had X-rays taken about 5 times at this point which always come back negative.

That and I've just realized I have no chicken-pox immunity so I have to get vaccinated for that as well.

All just to stay on the Alt list. I sympathize.

Yep, same thing.

That's why you keep a record of 1) the positive PPD result 2) the negative CXR and 3) a report from your PCP who can confirm that you are negative for TB.
These three should rule out the necessity of future PPDs and CXRs, unless yah, people are being a pain in the butt/have no idea how TB tests work. Maybe you can request a doctor to do a Quantiferon test on you and you can keep that AND the CXR as evidence?

I worked with refugees, many of whom were vaccinated in their home country or have latent TB and this was how the doctors kept them free of suspicion.

That's why you keep a record of 1) the positive PPD result 2) the negative CXR and 3) a report from your PCP who can confirm that you are negative for TB.
These three should rule out the necessity of future PPDs and CXRs, unless yah, people are being a pain in the butt/have no idea how TB tests work. Maybe you can request a doctor to do a Quantiferon test on you and you can keep that AND the CXR as evidence?

I worked with refugees, many of whom were vaccinated in their home country or have latent TB and this was how the doctors kept them free of suspicion.

Believe me, my PCP has a record of everything but the form specifically states that a radiologist's report on the CXR within the past year is required. I went to my PCP today and he and I both took that to mean that I'd just have to get another X-ray. We didn't discuss a blood test but the rest is a relatively minor annoyance. Eh, what can you do, right? Just hope it's all worth something at the end.

Withdrew this morning! Hope one of you still waiting hears back soon!

Just got the alternate stuff in a package in the mail so if you're on the alternate list and see a big envelope don't get too excited. Like I mentioned earlier all of this stuff is already available online.

Just got the alternate stuff in a package in the mail so if you're on the alternate list and see a big envelope don't get too excited. Like I mentioned earlier all of this stuff is already available online.

Thanks for the warning!

Did everyone on the alternate list get a username and password to access the checklist? The checklist includes the things they've asked from us on the alternate email (transcripts, health forms, etc) as well as white coat ceremony response form, acceptance form?

Status
Not open for further replies.