2012-2013 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted off the waitlist last Friday. Interviewed early December. In-State. 32, 3.9

Off the waitlist or the hold list?

Members don't see this ad.

Got a phone call today that I was accepted off the hold list!!! I also received the email last week saying that it would be until mid-July, so stay positive and good luck to those still waiting!!!

Got a phone call today that I was accepted off the hold list!!! I also received the email last week saying that it would be until mid-July, so stay positive and good luck to those still waiting!!!
Hi, would you mind sharing date of interview and stats?

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats. In state or out of state?

Have any out-of-state applicants been accepted off the hold list? It seems like the hold list is an abyss for out-of-state applications

Does anyone know what is Downstate's Step 1 average (from any year)?

just got a call this morning offering me an acceptance off the hold list

BLS CLASSES ON CAMPUS

I am a Downstate COM Alumnus (Class of 2009) and I am currently in-training as a Cardiology Fellow in Queens

Downstate requires that you have current BLS certification starting 1st year.

I am an official AHA Certified BLS Instructor and I have taught dozens of BLS courses while I was at Downstate and after I graduated.

I will be holding a few BLS certification/recertification courses in the coming weeks.

Cost: $70 per person -cash or check.
- Same price whether you are doing original or recert.
- This is a very competitive price. I believe they charge close to $100 at other nearby training centers

Location: 5th floor carrels (Carrel: 5C) in the Health Sciences Building.
- There will be a note on the door if there has been a room change.

Length: 3 hours.
- this is shorter than most other training centers.

Dates:
- Sunday 6/16 at 9:30 AM
- Sunday 6/30 at 9:30 AM

PLEASE NOTE:
-The BLS card takes 2 weeks from the date of the class to arrive at your mailing address.
-The classes have limited space & will be filled on a first-come first-served basis.
- If there is enough interest I might be able open up more dates in June/July

To sign up email: [email protected]

You can also visit our website: http://sites.google.com/site/learncprnow

I look forward to hearing from you,

Justin Hakimian, MD
PGY-4 Cardiology Fellow
New York Hospital Queens
AHA Certified BLS Instructor

Just got offered an acceptance via phone today! Interestingly, I had sent in an email reaffirming my interest in Downstate earlier this morning!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the email a couple of weeks ago and as well just received the good news call from Ms. Levine, from the hold list

I got the email a couple of weeks ago and as well just received the good news call from Ms. Levine, from the hold list

Congrats! Are you IS as well? Would you mind sharing stats?

I still think I'm dreaming but I just got the call an hour ago! I'll definitely be attending.

I'm IS. 3.75 overall gpa, 3.64 science, 36 mcat (13v,12p,11b). I interviewed in November and got put on hold like a month after. I also sent a letter of intent in the middle of April followed by an update in mid May.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Downstate averages MCAT scores or just looks at the best sitting?

Any OOS waitlisters with a good news? It seems like everyone who got off the hold is IS...hope they have some spots left for us OOS applicants

I've read in the curriculum renewal proposal online that grading will be P/F (+ conditional) for preclinical yrs beginning this Aug. I've checked back through the interview day/ acceptance papers but couldn't find grading policies described. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

It seems that only people who did receive "that email" a couple of weeks ago were accepted so far from the hold-list.

It seems that only people who did receive "that email" a couple of weeks ago were accepted so far from the hold-list.

yeah it seems like it even though that really doesn't make sense since email stated otherwise. Did anyone get in off the hold list without receiving "that email"?

yeah it seems like it even though that really doesn't make sense since email stated otherwise. Did anyone get in off the hold list without receiving "that email"?

I agree that it doesn't make sense. Sometimes I wish I had been rejected promptly after my interview...

I agree that it doesn't make sense. Sometimes I wish I had been rejected promptly after my interview...

yeah quick decision would be nice, but hopefully it will end with a good news

me too. i need some closure. how much longer do you think they will keep accepting people?

Anyone from California accepted off the hold list?

I also got "that email" about 2 weeks ago and got a call with a "formal acceptance" a couple days ago.
Interviewed jan 28th around. In-state. (super excited :) )

They are giving me 8 days to make my decision and withdraw my application from my other school.

Does anyone know of an accepted students forum for Downstate? I may need a brooklyn roommate and I want to know more about the safety of the school. Thanks so much!

I wonder if anyone who did not receive that email was offered an acceptance? Or being in the "not emailed" category essentially means a rejection. I just cannot get my head around it. Do the files in the "hold" stack need to be re-reviewed before an acceptance is extended or are we already ranked and they are just going down the list? Another day....

I wonder if anyone who did not receive that email was offered an acceptance? Or being in the "not emailed" category essentially means a rejection. I just cannot get my head around it. Do the files in the "hold" stack need to be re-reviewed before an acceptance is extended or are we already ranked and they are just going down the list? Another day....
Well, I was one of the people that got that email as well and I thought, if anything, it was a bad sign. It just shows that we really haven't a clue as to what some schools do regarding their admissions. Unlike some other people who got the email, though, I haven't been accepted. Still waiting and hoping...

Well, I was one of the people that got that email as well and I thought, if anything, it was a bad sign. It just shows that we really haven't a clue as to what some schools do regarding their admissions. Unlike some other people who got the email, though, I haven't been accepted. Still waiting and hoping...

Hang in there. I know how hard it is. Hope got humankind through much worse scenarios.

Hang in there. I know how hard it is. Hope got humankind through much worse scenarios.
Haha thanks for the kind words. At least I've been accepted somewhere, so I can't complain too much. Congrats to all those recently accepted and best of luck to all of us who are still waiting!

On April, 2 Downstate sent the following email:

Thank you for your continued interest in SUNY Downstate. This is to update you
regarding our anticipated timetable to give you a final decision on your admissions status.

We expect to send you a final decision on your status some time during the last two weeks of May. Please remember to check your AMCAS email address regularly during this period.

It's interesting to find out whether people who received "that email" in May, received this one in April.

regarding our anticipated timetable to give you a final decision on your admissions status.

We expect to send you a final decision on your status some time during the last two weeks of May. Please remember to check your AMCAS email address regularly during this period.

It's interesting to find out whether people who received "that email" in May, received this one in April.

I received both emails from Apr and May. I'm still on the hold list with no final decision.

I received both of them. I guess my "final decision" was to have me wait even longer haha. The joys of med school admissions. :)

Yes, who knows what's going on behind the scenes...

I remember someone posted that he/she called the office and they said they sent that email to everyone on the hold list. It's highly unlikely that at least 5+ people didn't get that email accidentally.

Did any recently accepted students off the hold list get their acceptance packet in the mail yet?

I've read in the curriculum renewal proposal online that grading will be P/F (+ conditional) for preclinical yrs beginning this Aug. I've checked back through the interview day/ acceptance papers but couldn't find grading policies described. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

I can confirm that it will definitely be P/F next year. There is also a "pass with distinction" thing that will be cumulative for the two pre-clinical years as an optional gold star students who meet certain criteria can apply for (details still being finalized.)

Also I think someone was asking for the link to the unofficial facebook group for the class of 2017. It currently has a lot of students from other classes so it's a good source of information and is particularly helpful if you are figuring out housing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/331653843620262/

I also received both emails from Apr and May. I'm still on the hold list with no final decision.

I also received both emails from Apr and May. I'm still on the hold list with no final decision.

Basically at this point their class is full. As people withdraw they will extend offers. I expect all of us to not have a decision until classes start. During my interview one of the students did say Downstate was known to call people in August (he even was accepted in August).

I just got an email, putting me on the alternate list. I guess they just created one!

I wonder if anyone was actually rejected from the hold list.

Status
Not open for further replies.