-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 SUNY Downstate Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I just got the e-mail saying "you are on hold" I'm pre-interview...and they said theyd rereview me in Spring...um...It's March 22...when does Spring roll around for Downstate?
Is this basically a pre-interview rejection?
Is this basically a pre-interview rejection?
Wahhh. Has anyone who's interviewed on 1/30 or later been accepted/rejected yet? Since there seems to have been a ton of holds..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1i just got the e-mail saying "you are on hold" i'm pre-interview...and they said theyd rereview me in spring...um...it's march 22...when does spring roll around for downstate?
Is this basically a pre-interview rejection?
I just got the e-mail saying "you are on hold" I'm pre-interview...and they said theyd rereview me in Spring...um...It's March 22...when does Spring roll around for Downstate?
Is this basically a pre-interview rejection?
+2
... is there any hope left??? will sending an update letter do any good at this point..?
edited
Hey guys, maybe one of you know what tends to happen... but I was put on hold for spring review back in October... and I called admissions and they said "your decision is in the mail."
So for those who got a rejection notice this cycle, did you receive it via email or snail mail?
So for those who got a rejection notice this cycle, did you receive it via email or snail mail?
Hey guys, maybe one of you know what tends to happen... but I was put on hold for spring review back in October... and I called admissions and they said "your decision is in the mail."
So for those who got a rejection notice this cycle, did you receive it via email or snail mail?
I thought rejections were via email. So hopefully it's good news!🙂
I thought rejections were via email. So hopefully it's good news!🙂
I don't think it's good news for us, why would they send interview invites via mail? lol we are def going to get rejections via mail if anything
I don't think it's good news for us, why would they send interview invites via mail? lol we are def going to get rejections via mail if anything
I forgot to mention... I already had an interview and was told my final decision would be put on hold until Spring... so im not waiting for a potential decision on whether I get an interview or not... i am waiting on the final decision
Either way, I choose to stay on my toes until I get the mail but I like the first comment better hahaha.
I forgot to mention... I already had an interview and was told my final decision would be put on hold until Spring... so im not waiting for a potential decision on whether I get an interview or not... i am waiting on the final decision
Either way, I choose to stay on my toes until I get the mail but I like the first comment better hahaha.
in that case, good luck!
Is there a big difference for wait list/hold for spring/alternate list? I've read here that if one is waitlisted a letter of intent would help. Is it the same for hold for spring? I am confused.
Last edited:
This information is all in the SUNY Downstate 2011-2012 thread--they've answered that question to death there. lol
Is there a big difference for wait list/hold for spring/alternate list? I've read here that if one is waitlisted a letter of intent would help. Is it the same for hold for spring? I am confused.
I have not seen anyone get wait list or alternate list this year.
I forgot to mention... I already had an interview and was told my final decision would be put on hold until Spring... so im not waiting for a potential decision on whether I get an interview or not... i am waiting on the final decision
Either way, I choose to stay on my toes until I get the mail but I like the first comment better hahaha.
Exactly, I interviewed in October and got hold as well. I called an they said the decision would be a phone call, mail or email..sooo that wasn't very helpful
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just accepted!!
I interviewed end of January, put on hold end of February, notified of my acceptance by snail mail today![]()
Wow congrats! I was expecting the hold decisions to start coming out much later. Now everyone on hold that read your post will be obsessively checking their mail this week

Congrats!!! Did you send a letter of interest or intent?I was just accepted!!
I interviewed end of January, put on hold end of February, notified of my acceptance by snail mail today![]()
I forgot to mention... I already had an interview and was told my final decision would be put on hold until Spring... so im not waiting for a potential decision on whether I get an interview or not... i am waiting on the final decision
Either way, I choose to stay on my toes until I get the mail but I like the first comment better hahaha.
UPDATE: Snail mail came today with an acceptance!! Good luck to everyone else, it appears they are making decisions on some of the earlier "hold" applicants.
.
Last edited:
I really wish Downstate would get back to me already wahhh. I feel like I accidently deleted my rejection email or something haha. 8 weeks of post-interview waiting, guess I can wait some more

I really wish Downstate would get back to me already wahhh. I feel like I accidently deleted my rejection email or something haha. 8 weeks of post-interview waiting, guess I can wait some more![]()
8 weeks!? Ah, looks like I am in for a good wait
I really wish Downstate would get back to me already wahhh. I feel like I accidently deleted my rejection email or something haha. 8 weeks of post-interview waiting, guess I can wait some more![]()
Have you tried calling them? I guess any day you don't get an email from Downstate is a good day.
Haha exactly, I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to find out if a decision has been made or not because they told me 6-8 weeks at my interview and I'm just maybee going slightly crazy haha.Have you tried calling them? I guess any day you don't get an email from Downstate is a good day.
Haha exactly, I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to find out if a decision has been made or not because they told me 6-8 weeks at my interview and I'm just maybee going slightly crazy haha.
goodluck, I'm sure if it's this long it is good news!
Aww thanks, I really hope so!goodluck, I'm sure if it's this long it is good news!

I called Tuesday and tried to ask for an update (hadn't heard anything since my interview) and she said "your letter is in the mail." I asked email or real mail, she said mail. she also told me to wait up to a month... I don't understand that...?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called Tuesday and tried to ask for an update (hadn't heard anything since my interview) and she said "your letter is in the mail." I asked email or real mail, she said mail. she also told me to wait up to a month... I don't understand that...?
Sounds like good news. They send out acceptances through the mail and under consideration/rejections via email. The snail mail just could take a long time to get to you. When did you interview?
I called Tuesday and tried to ask for an update (hadn't heard anything since my interview) and she said "your letter is in the mail." I asked email or real mail, she said mail. she also told me to wait up to a month... I don't understand that...?
I called and they just said decisions would be made in June. How did you ask them about your application specifically?
Yeah, I'm trying to stay positive while waiting. I interviewed 2/12.I called and they just said decisions would be made in June. How did you ask them about your application specifically?
and did you mean decisions are made in June for the waitlist? And I basically straight up asked lol
I'm past the 8 week mark and I called them today, but apparently my interviewer hasn't even turned in his evaluation yetAny update from the admissions office? I called yesterday (7 week mark) and she wouldn't offer anything beyond having to wait 8 weeks. Wondering what they're telling people who are beyond the 8 week mark.
I can't right now ughh🙁It looks like people who are to be on hold are hearing back in 3-5 weeks post interview. Anyone know about rejections? Do they share the same timetable as acceptances?
I think you are over analyzing the situation. The amount of time it takes to hear back is dependent only on your interviewer. If he or she chooses to fill out the eval in a timely manner then you will hear back fast, if he or she does not then it will take a while. It took me 12 weeks post interview to get a hold. All you can do it wait, there is not necessarily a given time table for certain types of decisions.
radiateitonme - sorry to hear that.. I don't understand how you can make an accurate assessment on someone you met for 15 min to an hour 8 weeks later, regardless of how well you took your notes. Hopefully he or she can only remember positive things though!
oldgreg55 - yeah man, you're prob right. I know people who were accepted to Downstate this cycle and they received their replies within the timetable given to them by the ad com the day of their interview. Figured it was a general Downstate trend to be be on point with that
oldgreg55 - yeah man, you're prob right. I know people who were accepted to Downstate this cycle and they received their replies within the timetable given to them by the ad com the day of their interview. Figured it was a general Downstate trend to be be on point with that
"you letter is in the mail" basically means an aceptance I don't think they are allowed to tell you the dicision over the phone.I called Tuesday and tried to ask for an update (hadn't heard anything since my interview) and she said "your letter is in the mail." I asked email or real mail, she said mail. she also told me to wait up to a month... I don't understand that...?
"you letter is in the mail" basically means an aceptance I don't think they are allowed to tell you the dicision over the phone.
I really hope you're right! I interviewed 2/5, just called the office and they said my decision is in the mail!
just placed on hold. interviewed on 2/26
Hopefully wahhhhradiateitonme - sorry to hear that.. I don't understand how you can make an accurate assessment on someone you met for 15 min to an hour 8 weeks later, regardless of how well you took your notes. Hopefully he or she can only remember positive things though!
oldgreg55 - yeah man, you're prob right. I know people who were accepted to Downstate this cycle and they received their replies within the timetable given to them by the ad com the day of their interview. Figured it was a general Downstate trend to be be on point with that
nothing else to do but wait I guess..yeah, I hope so too! now I can't stop checking...I really hope you're right! I interviewed 2/5, just called the office and they said my decision is in the mail!
I don't know why she said to give it up to a month...?
yeah, I hope so too! now I can't stop checking...
I don't know why she said to give it up to a month...?
Hmm i dont know... She said to me the decision was made on 3/18, but didn't give me a time frame on getting the letter
When I called they told me no-one would be taken off the on hold for spring list until the end of May/ beginning of June....
That's what it says, approximately, on their website under FAQs... something about the hold list not being an alternate list, and the alternate list being assembled at the end of may...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
but it is a little strange to see people reporting that they have been accepted from the hold for spring list when downstate says they wont do that until may/june
I agree.
rejected via SNAIL MAIL today. what?? lol I thought only acceptances came in the mail. cool downstate, seeing that letter made me way too excited.
rejected via SNAIL MAIL today. what?? lol I thought only acceptances came in the mail. cool downstate, seeing that letter made me way too excited.
That really sucks. Where do you live?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.