2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone from Jan interviews still waiting? I know there were a few others in the same boat. I imagine those who have been rejected are less likely to post updates on their app or maybe some of you just stopped following the thread. If you guys don't want to post it in the thread, feel free to PM me. Hoping I'll hear something this week, good news or bad (though I would prefer good, like a waitlist). :oops: Thanks. I'll post whatever I hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my financial aid...All loans!!!!. Probably will take some but defiantly not all of it. Also, great to hear that Dr. Duggan was named the official dean of Upstate.

Just got my financial aid...All loans!!!!. Probably will take some but defiantly not all of it. Also, great to hear that Dr. Duggan was named the official dean of Upstate.

Same here, all loans. I can't really complain with the in-state tuition tag though. It's dirt cheap compared to all the other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I logged on to the Upstate status page and the info about my interview with the date has disappeared. It was still there as of this morning. From what I understand from following this thread, does that mean I should be hearing this week? I hope so, either way.

From what I've seen, that means that your application is under review by the ADCOM and you should get your decision in the next batch of decisions. Good luck!

All loans here. Received either academic scholarships or some need based grants to most other schools, so it's looking more like I'm withdrawing from here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Has anyone gotten their Blackboard/email access up and running yet?

From what I've seen, that means that your application is under review by the ADCOM and you should get your decision in the next batch of decisions. Good luck!

Does that mean I could hear this week? I saw that some people earlier in the thread had the interview stuff disappear on a weekday evening, and found out the decision the next morning. I just want some finality either way. Thanks much.

Does that mean I could hear this week? I saw that some people earlier in the thread had the interview stuff disappear on a weekday evening, and found out the decision the next morning. I just want some finality either way. Thanks much.

I'm pretty sure they meet on wednesdays so you may hear later today/tomorrow. Good luck!

Does anyone know if letters of Intent from waitlistees hold any weight at Upstate.?[/QUOTE

Are you HP or reg waitlist? I think I remember them saying that once a decision has been made on your application updates and what not will no longer be reviewed...

All loans here. Received either academic scholarships or some need based grants to most other schools, so it's looking more like I'm withdrawing from here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

same. but not withdrawing.. still cheaper than all the other schools i got into.

Does anyone know if letters of Intent from waitlistees hold any weight at Upstate.?[/QUOTE

Are you HP or reg waitlist? I think I remember them saying that once a decision has been made on your application updates and what not will no longer be reviewed...

Can you explain the diff between the waitlists and relative likelihood of getting pulled from each? IIRC, at my interview they said that there's a very good chance if it is HP but not so much regular. Is that how you remember it?

Can you explain the diff between the waitlists and relative likelihood of getting pulled from each? IIRC, at my interview they said that there's a very good chance if it is HP but not so much regular. Is that how you remember it?

Yes thats how I remember it.

The HPA is the high priority waitlist that they pull from first. I believe it is ranked. Your decision email will tell you if you are on the HPA but it will not tell you where you are ranked and even if you call, they cannot tell you either. They can only tell you if you are ranked at a position that was accepted in previous years.

The regular waitlist, is after the HPA. At interview, they said they havent gotten to this list in years. Which I believe is true. even folks on the HPA may be in a spot that they may not get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected post-interview. Good luck to everyone still waiting for a decision.

If anyone is looking for a roommate for next year PM me.

Just withdrew acceptance, hope it goes to a well-deserving applicant in here!

To those who withdrew, do I withdraw after paying deposit? I paid deposit a long time ago, and got another offer recently. When I log in my upstate, it's forms and stuff for incoming students. Thanks.

To those who withdrew, do I withdraw after paying deposit? I paid deposit a long time ago, and got another offer recently. When I log in my upstate, it's forms and stuff for incoming students. Thanks.

just email the school and let them know you're withdrawing your application. Also look in myUpstate and see if there's an option to withdraw application. Email the school either way so that they can fill the spot. I doubt you'll get your deposit back since that's what deposit means: you walk away you don't get it back.

Good luck with your journey.

just email the school and let them know you're withdrawing your application. Also look in myUpstate and see if there's an option to withdraw application. Email the school either way so that they can fill the spot. I doubt you'll get your deposit back since that's what deposit means: you walk away you don't get it back.

I believe you can get your deposit back up till May 15th I believe from what I remember when paying the deposit, but I could be wrong. Either way it is better to email the school directly like Inphan said and ask them about a refund on deposit.

There is a refund on the deposit up until May 15.

Are most of the classes held in Weiskotten? I remember from interview day the big lecture hall being in the same building as the admissions office.

Currently trying to decide between Geneva v. Clark Towers. If the classes are in that building Geneva towers sure sounds far :( ...
Clark Tower is practically attached to the gym, which sounds heavenly. Then again Geneva looks brand-spankin new, but a fifteen minute walk in the dead of winter sounds dreadful.

Any suggestions? Would love to hear some input from current students!

My priority is convenience. Kitchen is a must

Are most of the classes held in Weiskotten? I remember from interview day the big lecture hall being in the same building as the admissions office.

Currently trying to decide between Geneva v. Clark Towers. If the classes are in that building Geneva towers sure sounds far :( ...
Clark Tower is practically attached to the gym, which sounds heavenly. Then again Geneva looks brand-spankin new, but a fifteen minute walk in the dead of winter sounds dreadful.

All classes are held in weiskotten building. A lot of ppl will be walking with you so you won't be walking by yourself. I don't know if you can even get into clark towers anymore... I heard of it being sunset or something like that (either already or soon in near future).

Can any students comment on orientation activities? I'm getting antsy and already thinking about it!

Can any students comment on orientation activities? I'm getting antsy and already thinking about it!

Lots of talks... Computer talk, Financial aid talk, student services talk.
White coat ceremony, a fancy dinner/dance thing
Usually lots of parties thrown by second years in madison towers

But mostly talking.

So lots of people will live in Geneva, Madison, or Jefferson. And lots of people go to class, so it's actually really really difficult to end up walking by yourself in the morning. You'd have to be insanely late or insanely early.

I can't speak to the walk in the cold, other than a generic "you get used to it". I don't live in either of those places and I drive everyday, but you always see groups of students and residents walking over. It's not too bad, and probably doesn't really get more convenient than that.

Lots of talks... Computer talk, Financial aid talk, student services talk.
White coat ceremony, a fancy dinner/dance thing
Usually lots of parties thrown by second years in madison towers

But mostly talking.

I'm down for the dancing :p

When I went to second visit day I went to go see Geneva tower. I basically just walked in, I think one of the current students thought I lived there and held the door open for me (you need an ID to buzz in and stuff). I went to the housing administrator there and asked him to show me what the rooms looked like. He was very friendly and showed me some recently vacated rooms. Now... I have been living in NYC for 7 years, and these apartments were GORGEOUS compared to what I'm used to. I saw the 2 bedroom and the 4 bedroom. The 4 bedroom had a fantastic living/common room with several couches and a flat screen TV. All the rooms get really nice flat screens. The open kitchen had beautiful kitchen island in the middle of it, and the bedrooms all had full size beds, and walk in closets with bike racks in them. 2 bathrooms per 4 bedrooms. The 2 bedroom was very nice as well with a kitchen-bar type thing, but the closets were smaller and no bike racks. All the apartments come with a dish washer. The laundry machines are on the ground floor and TEXT you when they're done (wwhaatt?? :love:). The study rooms are comfortable and quiet, and you can pay an additional $54/month for a parking spot in the private/uncovered lot.

Now all that being said, some of you on this forum may be like me and are used to walking everywhere. A 10-15 min walk in the morning is a SMALL price to pay for such a comfortable living space. I submitted my housing form on that same visit, I was sold right away. And think about it... what better way to wake up in the morning than having cold wintery blasts smacking you in the face on the way to class? :)

The housing guy in Geneva said that the rooms fill up fast, and that they try to place med students all the same floors. Mostly med students live in Geneva, but so do PA's and residents.

Thanks for the feedback you guys!

I'll be submitting my housing application today. Completely sold on Geneva, 15-minute walk be damned :)

anyone know when waitlist movement should be expected? is it around may 15th? also is it possible to know around the area you are on the HP list?

Does anyone know if first-years can have access to Upstate's gym over the summer -so before the orientation? My SU gym-access will expire upon graduation and I will be in Syracuse this summer, so it would be nice to get in shape before classes start :D

anyone know when waitlist movement should be expected? is it around may 15th? also is it possible to know around the area you are on the HP list?

List moves after the 15th of May. You can call on May 15th to get an estimate of your chances of coming off the waitlist.

Last edited:
Has anyone taken Medical Spanish? I am interested in taking it but I don't know if I'll be able to balance it with my other workload especially in the first year

EDIT: I have no background in Spanish

Has anyone taken Medical Spanish? I am interested in taking it but I don't know if I'll be able to balance it with my other workload especially in the first year

EDIT: I have no background in Spanish

I too want to take Medical Spanish. I am interested to hear from students who took the course. I took Spanish in high school, can't say that I remember much though :p

I too want to take Medical Spanish. I am interested to hear from students who took the course. I took Spanish in high school, can't say that I remember much though :p

Haha I agree, I was also thinking about it, but I wonder how long the course is for, is it only for half the year or is it for the whole year. Any MS1 or MS2s that can give feedback on it will truly help us out

Also want to hear about the work load of Medical Spanish. Received my housing assignment today. I will be living in Geneva Tower with a roommate (Feels like the first year of college).

Also want to hear about the work load of Medical Spanish. Received my housing assignment today. I will be living in Geneva Tower with a roommate (Feels like the first year of college).

How long did it take to recieve? I applied about a month ago and they still haven't gotten back to me.

So lots of people will live in Geneva, Madison, or Jefferson. And lots of people go to class, so it's actually really really difficult to end up walking by yourself in the morning. You'd have to be insanely late or insanely early.

I can't speak to the walk in the cold, other than a generic "you get used to it". I don't live in either of those places and I drive everyday, but you always see groups of students and residents walking over. It's not too bad, and probably doesn't really get more convenient than that.

I am thinking of getting off campus housing, as I will be bringing a dog. Does anyone know what the parking situation is for commuters?

How long did it take to recieve? I applied about a month ago and they still haven't gotten back to me.
I sent an email with my application on pdf to the housing residency director in late February. At the time I thought I was going to do summer anatomy.

It was also sent in the mail so that might be a cause for any delay

Does anyone know how we get our deposit back after we decide on another school?

Hey guys,

I'd appreciate any advice you're willing to offer:

I was accepted into Upstate (whoo whoo, very grateful about it), but was wait-listed at another top choice school. I also really want to take the Summer Anatomy course that's from June 3-July 26 at Upstate. Is it possible to take the class while waiting for the other school to get back to me. And if I were accepted into the other top choice school (which can span anytime from May 15 to the end of July) would it be possible to quit the summer course without any consequences or financial conditions?

Thanks for reading this

Hey guys,

I was accepted into Upstate (whoo whoo, very grateful about it), but was wait-listed at another top choice school. I also really want to take the Summer Anatomy course that's from June 3-July 26 at Upstate. Is it possible to take the class while waiting for the other school to get back to me. And if I were accepted into the other top choice school (which can span anytime from May 15 to the end of July) would it be possible to quit the summer course without any consequences or financial conditions?

Thanks for reading this

I highly doubt that would be possible. Summer anatomy will not be a free thing, you will already be enrolled as a student. Have you even been accepted to summer anatomy?

Does anyone know how we get our deposit back after we decide on another school?
I think that you can get your deposit back before May 15th... otherwise if you rescind your enrollment after may 15th you lose the deposit... I believe this is true for most medical schools. Stupid rule, I know.

I'm still waiting on another top choice school as well, but I'm moving forward as if I'm going to Upstate. I wouldn't want to hold off on things like housing and financial aid, and then risk settling for something unsettling before classes start. Losing a couple hundred in deposit money is small compared to the THOUSANDS we've lost in this application process. :/

In fact, I got my top choice for Geneva housing this week :D Move in Aug 7th!! Woo hoo!!!

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading this

I wonder if you could take summer anatomy at Upstate and if you get in to your top choice, have the credits transferred there. Not even sure if med school works that way but it's an idea you might want to explore

I highly doubt that would be possible. Summer anatomy will not be a free thing, you will already be enrolled as a student. Have you even been accepted to summer anatomy?
yes, ive been accepted into the summer class

Status
Not open for further replies.